Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > It's Been Fun Part II

It's Been Fun Part II

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/16/16 at
8:56:45 AM

...LoneStar, Kyle, Chris T (Overbanked) and Paul H.

Special thanks to RobLec and Sir Willow (they'll know why) and to Eric, for creating and nurturing a community I've always been proud to be a part of.

I used the member list to help me remember some names. I'm sure I still missed many. My brain and mind don't work well...sometimes at all anymore. Neither does anything else, which brings me to the point of this (I know, lengthy)missive.

I'm dying. Don't know when, but I hope it won't be too long. I have a serious infection which started in my feet and is working its way through my body. I made the decision not to have a couple of amputations, but there was no guarantee of cutting off the infection. The antibiotics were not working, So I came home from the hospital. I have a live-in caregiver. With a cane, and her support, I can barely walk from the living room to the bedroom in my apartment. The pain in my legs is pretty constant, I have very little grip, my hearing is worse than ever, and as mentioned above, I can barely think.

That's the (believe it or not) short version. But I wanted to post this to let all of the above folks, and those I missed, know how much I've appreciated your friendship, your wisdom, and our interactions over the last 10-12 years.

Incidentally, my favorite coaster ends up as (natch) El Toro, with my #1 steel being I-305. My last ride was Nitro on Labor Day weekend in 2015.

Best wishes to everyone on URC and their families for good health, luck and happiness in the future.

Oh, and although they've been retired for a few years.....Drachen, the BAFAPARCS are yours.

Mike

*Please excuse any typos...you all know what a Grammar Nazi I am, but I rarely even correct my own any longer.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: It's Been Fun Part II by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/16/16 11:11:21 AM
I joined this site back in 2010. Just like you Mike, I have met many of the members on here. I know unfortunately your amusement park adventures have come to and end. I do feel very fortunate that my kids and I got to spend some days enjoying amusement parks with you. My kids loved hanging out with you, and I consider you a good friend. I really wish things would turn around for the better for you, but my brother is dealing with the exact same problem, so I know you are fighting a losing battle. Hopefully they keep you pain free as possible and you have enough good memories from your life to reflect on and keep your mind at ease. It's been a pleasure my friend. Hopefully one day we will meet again.

Sincerely yours,
Ken

Re: It's Been Fun Part II by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/16/16 1:06:18 PM
Mike as I said over on facebook, I'm so sorry for what is happening.

Through facebook I've seen all of your posts about your life and I've seen just how much of a positive person you are. That even in this dark time you still have that spark of humor. That's something I'll never forget about you.

I wish you the best, and I'll always remember you as both a great person in the coaster community and a great human being.

- Kyle

a.k.a mugen828

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: It's Been Fun Part II by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/16/16 1:53:46 PM
It's always sad when we lose someone. Sometimes we are blessed with the chance to say goodbye. Mike B (the other Mike) mentioned just this past spring that you were unable to visit parks anymore... At least you got in that last ride, and just last year... not that long ago. Going out in style!

Thanks for the special shout out. It was my pleasure to have been able to help out a little when I could. Looking back in my emails I see we last spoke a couple months ago, so I'll shoot one off to you with what's happened since then.

More and more old timers drop in here (most recently Capler iirc) only to say they cannot ride anymore. We're getting old, but take with us a treasure trove of memories. It's been fun indeed! Goodbye old friend. I will never forget you.

Re: It's Been Fun Part II by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/16/16 7:34:17 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. Ken, I am not fighting a losing battle. That would imply I'm still fighting, and I am unable to do that.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: It's Been Fun Part II by roborn85 at 10/16/16 8:44:30 PM
I am a long time lurker on these boards and don't think I ever posted on any thread in my 10 years of perusing these threads but felt compelled to just drop a short paragraph

I am a middle aged roller coaster enthusiast (Enjoy some more than others. Not loving the multi loopers as much anymore).BIG ElToro fan.

Mike I am a fellow NJ resident, Though we have never met I always enjoyed your trip reports from my home park (SFGAd) as well as many other parks.

Its reports like yours and others on this board that have persuaded me to make trips to Cedar Point,SFSL, SFNE, SFA, HP, DP,LC, Dollywood,Holiday World and others. I now enjoy this hobby with my 11 year old daughter and know that people like you have made me enjoy the whole amusement park experience more.

I wish you all the best as you reflect on all the great times you had in your life.

Godspeed sir.

Re: It's Been Fun Part II by NotSo NotSo Profile at 10/16/16 9:50:59 PM
Sorry Mike.....
Re: It's Been Fun Part II by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 10/17/16 11:30:12 AM
Awww man, I had a feeling it was going to be something like this when I saw the title. I'm sitting her crying at my keyboard for you Mike. So grateful my kids and I got to meet up with you both in Florida and here at SDC. We've got a lot of fun, fond memories of those times. I'm grieving for what you're going through,and the pain and the suffering. Praying for you and that as you get ready for the transition that your mind and soul is at rest and peace and that it as easy a transition as possible. Love ya, praying for you, and missing you already.

Until we meet again to ride that great big coaster...

Re: It's Been Fun Part II Photo by drachen drachen Profile at 10/18/16 9:29:37 PM
Well Mike, beastmaster... That was a tough post to read. Like everyone here, I wish you well, while being terribly saddened by your condition.

And despite the nature of the post, I'm glad you shared it, so that we all can respond and let you know how we feel about you. I hope it's evident that in the roller coaster community, you are loved.

I don't know you more than through this message board, and through a few interactions on Facebook. But I've enjoyed every interaction, and every moment of back-and-forth banter over the years. I'll think of you each time I ride El Toro.

I don't know if you're a religious person, but my prayers are with you, as I'm sure are many others'. May you have strength, courage, and most importantly peace as you transition from mortality to immortality, whenever that time comes.

beastmaster said:

Oh, and although they've been retired for a few years.....Drachen, the BAFAPARCS are yours.

No, they are yours. But I will continue the tradition.

User Submitted Picture

* This post was modified at 10/18/16 10:30:21 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.94 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.56 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Facebook: Search Park Connoisseur
Re: It's Been Fun Part II by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/19/16 7:11:42 PM
I am so sorry you have to go through this Mike.You are a great man and I enjoyed all of my interactions with you over the years also.It was a pleasure meeting you and getting to go on a few rides with you at six flags.I will always think about you while I am riding those coasters that you enjoyed so much. Hopefully we meet once again on the best coaster in the world high in the sky.

Dion

Dion
Re: It's Been Fun Part II by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/26/16 1:41:37 PM
I am so very saddened to know this.
It is hard to convey thoughts.
It is hard to say the right thing.
As if there is any such right thing.

I know you don't need sympathy, pity, nor any kind of...what, encouragement?... Mike. You were way past that point when you wrote to us here.

Just know that URCers will always remember you as one of the "crazy coasties" that would come together from far and wide and marvel at how disparate people became less so when riding coasters (or more accurately, walking midways and waiting in queues).

You used to call yourself "the other Mike."
I think now that applies more to me.

I hope you find your peace.

Mike B.
Re: It's Been Fun Part II by winder at 10/27/16 8:28:16 AM
hello, I was just stopping by to look at some roller coaster information, when I happened on upon this thread, and you don't know me, nor have we ever met.. but.
here i'll be Sending my heartfelt thoughts to you.

Hold on tight, beastmaster Mike, you are not alone. Bring on the next circuit, right? We're right behind you. Everyone is with you.

Re: It's Been Fun Part II by antikythera antikythera Profile at 10/28/16 8:11:30 PM
I just learned through Facebook and a thread Kenneth just created that you have passed away. I had intended to post in this thread earlier -- hopefully you're able to read this wherever you may be.

I only met you on two occasions but I could tell from each of those times we crossed paths that you were a kindred spirit that will be missed by many. You had a passion for the hobby that came across each time you talked about your favorite coasters.

Even in the brevity that is life, it's a joy to know that we can from relationships and bonds through such a unique hobby that will give us lasting memories.

RIP.

Re: It's Been Fun Part II by Capler at 12/9/16 3:44:07 PM
I am so sad reading this post. I came back to the board because I was notified by the site that someone responded to a post I participated in back in 2000, and am just now learned about this. Never met beastmaster in person but I know him well from my time on this site. There is nothing for me to do but be happy for his transition. i know it sounds very cliché but, there will be no more sorrow and no more pain. We should be honored that in his final days, he thought of, and took time to bid us farewell.

Ride on big guy, Ride on!

Capler