Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Is anyone "in the closet" with their coa

Is anyone "in the closet" with their coa

ROXY ROLLER

Posted:
4/6/00 at
7:06:48 PM

I know it may seem to be a silly question... but I used to get teased at an old work place about my HUGE obsession with rollercoasters. It didn't really bother me much....and I never made any attempts to conceal it.

But I was wondering if there is anybody on this board who might not be "out of the closet" in the workplace about their love of coasters?

Obsessions with rollercoasters: The love that dare not speak its name!

Peace,

Roxy

From a (Former) Closet Coaster Fan by EBL at 4/6/00 7:35:01 PM

For a lot of years, people teased me about being such a nut about Magic Mountain (my home park). Over the years, I finally said, "So what? I like amusement parks and coasters! That's who I am."

Now, most everyone who knows me associates me with roller coasters. Some still don't understand how I can ride those things, but they accept it. Many people tell me, "I saw something on the news last night about roller coasters and I thought of you."

My wife and daughter like them, too, but not quite to the extent that I do.

I'm not ashamed at all about what I like, and it's great knowing that I'm not alone.

Eric

Heck no! by Dustijn Hollon at 4/6/00 8:35:39 PM

This is so silly. No I'm not "In the Closet" about my "hobby".

OK OK it's an obsession! I have polo shirts with Ride logos on them, that I wear to work. It's a pretty safe bet that I'm an enthusiast.

:)

My name is Dustijn Hollon and I'm a coaster-holic.

LOL!

No Way! by Northrider at 4/6/00 9:23:17 PM

All my friends and family know about it, and they don't love me any less as a result. In my opinion, it's probably the most healthy, wholesome obsession one can have.

Out of the Closet! :-) by Flare at 4/6/00 10:08:48 PM

Roxy,

Too funny.. :-) I used to think people would think i was a loony tune if i talked about my fanaticism, but now i don't really care at all. In fact, i enjoy watching peoples' reactions when they get to that stage of *man...this guy is REALLY into coasters...yikes*....

But to me, Rox, having a passion for a hobby such as this, as so many of us do is rewarding and fulfilling, which is crucial; so many people wander through life watching reruns on television, twiddling their thumbs, with lack of a better pastime to entertain their senses while they're not putting in their 40 hours a week...

You are right though, it can be embarassing sometimes. But generally, when i show people what i'm about with it, and the film i'm shooting, and my aspirations, aside from my career as a composer, it is generally looked upon with intrigue and interest! What we are into is, no doubt at least in my mind, THE coolest, cleanest, funnest way to enjoy life, meet really interesting people, and have passion for each day. So just laugh WITH them when they don't get you...or us. :-)

Cheers, Dave

Re: Is anyone "in the closet" with their by ACEMEMBER at 4/6/00 10:55:55 PM

> I know it may seem to be a silly question...
> but I used to get teased at an old work
> place about my HUGE obsession with
> rollercoasters. It didn't really bother me
> much....and I never made any attempts to
> conceal it. But I was wondering if there is
> anybody on this board who might not be
> "out of the closet" in the
> workplace about their love of coasters?
> Obsessions with rollercoasters: The love
> that dare not speak its name! Peace, Roxy

When I realized what a fanatic I was, the posters went up and the photo albums of coasters appeared. To be honest, I could care less what people think of my fascination although it is usually a mixed reaction of "cool" and "it's just a ride" although to all of us it is far more than that.

Re: Nope...... by Giff at 4/6/00 11:33:52 PM

> I wear my hats & shirts proudly! If People have a problem, too bad. Their probably to chicken to ride anyway.

Jeff

Re: Is anyone "in the closet" with their by Rob at 4/10/00 10:12:11 PM

> I know it may seem to be a silly question...
> but I used to get teased at an old work
> place about my HUGE obsession with
> rollercoasters. It didn't really bother me
> much....and I never made any attempts to
> conceal it. But I was wondering if there is
> anybody on this board who might not be
> "out of the closet" in the
> workplace about their love of coasters?
> Obsessions with rollercoasters: The love
> that dare not speak its name! Peace, Roxy

I am not "out of the closet" with my coaster fanaticism. My immediate family knows as do the relatives,and grandparents.

I work at SFGAd,so of course my co-workers knew when I took off to attend Coaster Celebration instead of work it.

That leaves my friends. They do not know. I am in what I guess you may call the "cool clique." I'm sure some of you know how it is. You pretend to be someone you're not,and do things you wouldn't normally do. I don't know what my friends would think if they knew,and I don't plan on letting them find out. Peer pressure's a b!tch....

/r-- who explains all the amusement park memorabilia in his room by telling hs friends he was selected as employee of the year at SFGAd and was treated to a cross country amusement park road trip. (I know,I know,it's lame. But they bought it! Hook, line and sinker!)

I'm in the Closet.... by Rob V at 4/10/00 10:31:24 PM

I am not "out of the closet" with my coaster fanaticism. My immediate family knows as do the relatives,and grandparents.

I work at SFGAd,so of course my co-workers knew when I took off to attend Coaster Celebration instead of work it.

That leaves my friends. They do not know. I am in what I guess you may call the "cool clique." I'm sure some of you know how it is. You pretend to be someone you're not,and do things you wouldn't normally do. I don't know what my friends would think if they knew,and I don't plan on letting them find out. Peer pressure's a b!tch....

/r-- who explains all the amusement park memorabilia in his room by telling hs friends he was selected as employee of the year at SFGAd and was treated to a cross country amusement park road trip. (I know,I know,it's lame. But they bought it! Hook, line and sinker!)