Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Worlds of Fun Bommerang.

Worlds of Fun Bommerang.

joe(PCW)

Posted:
4/6/00 at
1:02:43 PM

I just checked out the website for the World's of Fun and it has a section for the boomerang that contains a webcam. So I clicked it. And I noticed the station for the coaster. They put the most cheaply built station for this ride, the ones that look like a platform you will find at a local carnival midway on a portable coaster. Its like the station for Boomerang at Laronde. its topped with a cheap tent looking roof. What's up with that. I have seen decent built and even nice stations for boomerangs. Not that it's a big deal but I think they should just spend a little more and get a nicer structure.

Joe(PCW)

Re: Worlds of Fun Bommerang. by Jim Disney at 4/6/00 1:23:12 PM

> I just checked out the website for the
> World's of Fun and it has a section for the
> boomerang that contains a webcam. So I
> clicked it. And I noticed the station for
> the coaster. They put the most cheaply built
> station for this ride, the ones that look
> like a platform you will find at a local
> carnival midway on a portable coaster. Its
> like the station for Boomerang at Laronde.
> its topped with a cheap tent looking roof.
> What's up with that. I have seen decent
> built and even nice stations for boomerangs.
> Not that it's a big deal but I think they
> should just spend a little more and get a
> nicer structure. Joe(PCW)

Sounds almost like the structure for the Boomerang at Knott's Berry Farm. While the loading platform is very nice, the actual cover is just a tent with a sturdy structure. Nothing special. But then again, how are you going to theme a boomerang? There's a bit of a problem... they're not rides that you can "theme" very well. I would love to see a Boomerang put in a building and have stuff like that, but for the most part, they're just your standard coaster. I haven't seen the construction cam since before they put up the first supports. So I'll have to check it out.

JD

The SCCC Webpage

Themeing by Jeff King at 4/6/00 2:16:03 PM

Sounds almost like the structure for the
> Boomerang at Knott's Berry Farm. While the
> loading platform is very nice, the actual
> cover is just a tent with a sturdy
> structure. Nothing special. But then again,
> how are you going to theme a boomerang?
> There's a bit of a problem... they're not
> rides that you can "theme" very
> well. I would love to see a Boomerang put in
> a building and have stuff like that, but for
> the most part, they're just your standard
> coaster. I haven't seen the construction cam
> since before they put up the first supports.
> So I'll have to check it out. JD

Well, I for one think that they should at the very *least* theme the station to match the "African Section" that it resides in. They're apparently using the queue house from the Zambezi Zinger, so the station should coordinate with that. Why they couldn't at least make the building appear to be, say bamboo I'll never know. Cedar Fair is known for a lot of things, but when you think of it, themeing *isn't* one of them, unfortunately. It's truely a pity to see such a beautiful park turn into such an eyesore. For example, when I visited last year, the lovely fountain plaza that used to be in front of you as you walked in the main gate was nothing more than a mulch garden. NOT ONE FLOWER OR PLANT IN SIGHT! Also, they removed the interesting trees (form of a Japanese willow, I believe)that used to sit in front of the bathrooms in the Orient section. These are the trees that over time became very umbrella-like.

While I'm on this particular rant, WHY oh WHY haven't they spruced-up the now ONLY entrance to the park, that used to be the Scandinavian entrance?? Instead of the nice flower garden and tram turn around of the former main entrance(that now houses the go-kart track), you walk down a long, ugly path that leads to a tiny entrance. This also creates quite the bottle-neck on busy days. I'll bet Lamar Hunt would be pissed to see the park now!

End of rant,

Jeff

Re: Themeing by Dustijn Hollon at 4/6/00 2:33:48 PM

Well Jeff, I'm sure most of the WoFFA members would agree with you. Worlds of Fun has seen a huge "DETHEMING" project since good 'ole CF:LP took over. Hunt Midwest was actually pretty good to the park. True that some of the rides had gone into a unreparable state, but they did add one ride to BOTH OOF and WOF each year. As for the themeing of Boomerang. The general vicenity of the ride is still present. They use the African style of fencing around the queue house and leading to the ride. The photo booth looks pretty themed as well. The thing is the ACTUAL station is a standard Vekoma boomerang station. But if we'll all remember back to Mamba, that's your usual Morgan station as well.

D

Mamba station by Jeff King at 4/6/00 4:20:14 PM

> But if we'll all remember back to Mamba, that's > your usual Morgan station as well. D

Not to nitpick, but I don't believe that there is such a thing as a "usual Morgan station." The station that was designed for Mamba is most definately a Cedar Fair thingy, and very closely related to Iron Dragon's station at CP. It's just that Morgan's three high profile rides (Wild Thing, Steel Force and Mamba) are all Cedar Fair rides.

FWIW, I also think that Mamba's station is about as African as, say, a certain 50's style restaurant that was added next door!

What were they thinking?????

Oh well, at least Mamba is there!

Jeff

Re: Mamba station by Dustijn Hollon at 4/6/00 7:52:48 PM

True so True. Considering that there are only 4 Morgan built hypers out there, it does make me wonder....what's Steel Eel's look like?

AND as for the 50's diner..."That's in the Americana section of the park." -Danny Keller

WhAt WeRe ThEy ThInKiNg?

Oh they weren't :)

D

oh and I still get a kick out this... "the only coaster in the midwest to propel its riders both forwards and backwards."

LOL!

Re: My Bad! by Phreakster at 4/6/00 10:32:12 PM

I know Dustijn, how how could I think that Mr. Freeze that is 15 minutes away from me went backwards and forwards... I always thought that went it went up the spike and came down that was considered forwards and backwards... Okay, my moment of sarchasm is over... Here's another "WHY OH WHY!!"...

WHY OH WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE ZINGER?!?! Why are all the parks removing the Schwarzkopf coasters? Why remove the classic coaster lovers, and everyone else's favorite? Does anyone know why the did it? Where are the other Schwarzkopf coasters?

Greg The Coaster Phreak

My Coaster Page

Re: My Bad! by Dustijn Hollon at 4/6/00 11:44:02 PM

Yep Phreak that was exactly what I was getting at.

Now as for the removal of the Zinger, it had grown into such a liabilty that it was either do a major expensive overhaul or sell it off.

In fact the mechanics were having to do welding on the ride almost everyday. Mainly track snapping in places, due to stress fractures.

The good news is, the Zinger is still running somewhere in S.America. Jennifer Lovesee (WOFFA prez) is currently trying to find the new location of the ride.

Dustijn

Steel Eel's Station by Jeff King at 4/7/00 10:43:52 AM

> True so True. Considering that there are
> only 4 Morgan built hypers out there, it
> does make me wonder....what's Steel Eel's
> look like?

The station for Steel Eel is pretty much non-existant. What I mean is, it's all wood and yellow tarps, very deck-like. There's not much of a roof, if any.

Jeff

Re: Steel Eel's Station by Dustijn Hollon at 4/7/00 10:55:04 AM

The station for Steel Eel is pretty much
> non-existant. What I mean is, it's all wood
> and yellow tarps, very deck-like. There's
> not much of a roof, if any. Jeff

Almost sounds like what WoF is using for the Boomerang station. Except it's steel and tarps instead.

Dustijn

Re: The Zinger's Current Location by The Coaster Phreak at 4/7/00 7:19:46 PM

Dustijn,

It's at a park in Bogotá, Columbia. I don't know the park name, but I know that6s where it is.

Greg

My Coaster Page