Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New trains on Six Flags Astroworld roller coaster!

New trains on Six Flags Astroworld roller coaster!

Bill Teffen

Posted:
4/6/00 at
1:25:22 AM

I went to AstroWorld today, and the Texas Cyclone had new trains! They were the standard PTC rolling stock (the ones with the comfortable headrests), and it gave a much better feel to the coaster then with those wretched Morgan cars. Has anybody else been ridden the Texas Cyclone with these new trains? This coaster is now once again on my top 20 favorites list.

Re: New trains on SFAW roller coaster!!! by Alex at 4/8/00 11:20:52 AM

> I went to AstroWorld today, and the Texas
> Cyclone had new trains! They were the
> standard PTC rolling stock (the ones with
> the comfortable headrests), and it gave a
> much better feel to the coaster then with
> those wretched Morgan cars. Has anybody else
> been ridden the Texas Cyclone with these new
> trains? This coaster is now once again on my
> top 20 favorites list.

Actually, these aren't new. They are the old ones, albeit "freshened up" somewhat. It looks like the trains may have received new black foam (in the head restraints and lapbars) and possibly some replaced fiberglass OR new paint. Just ask the ride attendants. They will tell you.

Re: New trains on SFAW roller coaster!!! by Bill Teffen at 4/8/00 1:39:06 PM

Actually, these aren't new. They are the old
> ones, albeit "freshened up"
> somewhat. It looks like the trains may have
> received new black foam (in the head
> restraints and lapbars) and possibly some
> replaced fiberglass OR new paint. Just ask
> the ride attendants. They will tell you.

I do know that they're the same trains used on the Rattler. The leg room is very small for somebody of my stature, but they are much better then those stupid coffin cars. The new trains seem to have given the Texas Cyclone a new feel in the way it rides. It feels a whole lot faster, and best of all, there's no seat belts, which allow nonstop airtime. Have you ridden the Texas Cyclone with these new trains, Alex.

You're lying by bjal at 4/9/00 9:39:14 PM

> Actually, these aren't new. They are the old
> I do know that they're the same trains used
> on the Rattler. The leg room is very small
> for somebody of my stature, but they are
> much better then those stupid coffin cars.
> The new trains seem to have given the Texas
> Cyclone a new feel in the way it rides. It
> feels a whole lot faster, and best of all,
> there's no seat belts, which allow nonstop
> airtime. Have you ridden the Texas Cyclone
> with these new trains, Alex.

I was at AstroWorld three days ago, and the Texas Cyclone was still using the Morgan trains. The interior seats and outer exterior have been refurbished, and the entrance sign has been temporarily removed (probably for a paint job). I don't think that it's very likely that the Texas Cyclone will get new trains this year or next year, but it is totally insane to make the statement you did about new trains. I'm sure that nobody who read your silly post believed a word of it.

Re: You're lying by Gregory at 4/10/00 2:22:15 AM

I was at AstroWorld three days ago, and the
> Texas Cyclone was still using the Morgan
> trains. The interior seats and outer
> exterior have been refurbished, and the
> entrance sign has been temporarily removed
> (probably for a paint job). I don't think
> that it's very likely that the Texas Cyclone
> will get new trains this year or next year,
> but it is totally insane to make the
> statement you did about new trains. I'm sure
> that nobody who read your silly post
> believed a word of it.

Didn't Alex say that they were the same trains but "freshened up"? Apparently, Bill Teffen misunderstood what Alex was saying, and persisted in telling lies. With the work that has gone into refurbishing these cars, it is highly unlikely that Six Flags is making plans for new ones. I think that it's high time for enthusiasts just to except the fact that in the business world of roller coasters, it is what the general public wants, not a macho coaster nut. And the public felt that the Texas Cyclone was a bit too much. Heck, the original trains didn't even have seatbelts, just fixed lap bars, and for a ride with as much negative g's as this one has, how the heck was it guarenteed that somebody wouldn't fly out of their seat. I figured that some enthusiasts would be grateful that AstroWorld pooled its resources into reconfiguring the track, instead of littering it with trim brakes. Right now, the only thing that the Texas Cyclone is in desperate need of, is a fresh coat of paint! This is truely a great wooden coaster. Okay, so it's not in the top 10 of most people's lists, but certainly deserves more rewarding comments, instead of vicious insults, because of those headrests.