Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Will there ever be a coaster at Universal Hollywoo

Will there ever be a coaster at Universal Hollywoo

Schrecken Schrecken Profile

Posted:
4/5/00 at
11:45:23 PM

Now that even Disney is getting into the coaster wars, I was wondering about Universal Studios Hollywood. They are really the only large park in the area with out a coaster (once Disney opens the California area). I know of no plans to ever add one, and every one mentions the lack of space as a reason. But look at some of the dinkiest and most unusual places to put a coaster - in and around buildings - shopping malls, hotels, over and through other rides, and so on. Evidently they still manage to compete against their chief rival Disney, as they are still dumping money into their parks - especially overseas. BTW, USH is adding a new attraction to the tram backlot tour later this or next year. Does anyone have any thoughts on the coaster(less) future of USH? Or know something that I don't?

Re: Will there ever be a coaster at Universal Holl by VENOM at 4/6/00 12:19:01 AM

I've been wondering also. I think the biggest obstacle Universal faces in building a coaster at their Hollywood park are the homeowners in the hills above. They have constantly been protesting any new expansion to the park. Even the new additions to Citywalk were under scrutiny. However, it's not entirely impossible to build a coaster at the park. Universal could probably build it indoors like Rock n Roller Coaster at Disney MGM. An indoor version of the Incredible Hulk Coaster would be very cool.

A few thoughts on USH by Jim Disney at 4/6/00 10:57:43 AM

> especially overseas. BTW, USH is adding a
> new attraction to the tram backlot tour
> later this or next year. Does anyone have
> any thoughts on the coaster(less) future of
> USH? Or know something that I don't?

The Curse of The Mummy's Tomb opened on Saturday the 1st. That's the new attraction to the tram tour.

I think USH will stay coasterless. It's a wonderful park without coasters, and not all theme parks need roller coasters. USH has some interesting problems. The land that they're on is just horrible for building coasters. Too many hills and all that nastiness will never lend itself for a coaster of any type. You also have to be careful of noise, there is a working studio right next door. That's another reason you'll never see a coaster at USH, too much noise. As it is the tram tour pushes the noise level in the backlot and are sometimes the cause of ruined takes due to the noise of the engines.

USH is a unique park for so cal and I'd hate to see much change. I would LOVE to see a version of Spiderman put in the theme park some how and I'd love to see them continue with the simulator style attractions. They're great and right now, they're the best at making them. But I say keep the coasters out of USH!

JD

The SCCC website

Re: Will there ever be a coaster at Universal Holl by JAL at 4/6/00 2:38:41 PM

I would love to see USH get a Coaster. That would make that park more appealing to me, because now I have no desire to go to it.

As to whether they will get one? Well from what I hear, it doesn't look like they will get one due to their neighbors.

They should really consider an Inclosed Dark Ride Coaster. It would fit in well with the park style and make for a quiet ride.

Jim

Re: A few thoughts on USH by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 4/6/00 2:47:55 PM

The Curse of The Mummy's Tomb opened on Saturday
> the 1st. That's the new attraction to the
> tram tour. I think USH will stay
> coasterless. It's a wonderful park without
> coasters, and not all theme parks need
> roller coasters. USH has some interesting
> problems. The land that they're on is just
> horrible for building coasters. Too many
> hills and all that nastiness will never lend
> itself for a coaster of any type. You also
> have to be careful of noise, there is a
> working studio right next door. That's
> another reason you'll never see a coaster at
> USH, too much noise. As it is the tram tour
> pushes the noise level in the backlot and
> are sometimes the cause of ruined takes due
> to the noise of the engines. USH is a
> unique park for so cal and I'd hate to see
> much change. I would LOVE to see a version
> of Spiderman put in the theme park some how
> and I'd love to see them continue with the
> simulator style attractions. They're great
> and right now, they're the best at making
> them. But I say keep the coasters out of
> USH! JD

I am really surprised that the Mummy's Tomb is open now. We (where I work) are still working on some stuff for that, that's why I thought it wasn't open yet and didn't want to mention anything else about it. Either they are adding to it or are having problems, because the stuff we are doing is still here in the shop and won't be finished for a few weeks. Interesting.

Re: A few thoughts on USH by Johnny Mnemonic at 4/6/00 3:40:04 PM

> USH! JD

Hey Jim, do you know if there are any plans to bring Twister and Men In Black to USH any time soon?

MIB & Twister by InDaGreen at 4/6/00 5:24:00 PM

When ET is axed about three or four years down the line, the building will be gutted and used for either a MIB- or Spiderman-style ride (same technology; not a ride clone). A Twister-style ride will be put in the Backlot, perhaps as soon as next year. As for coasters, I think an indoor coaster is as close as USH may get to a major coaster.

InDaGreen

Re: To Jim Disney by Wendigo at 4/8/00 12:59:15 PM

> USH! JD

You pretty much gave a good point for your opinion of USH. Its a movie park, not a coaster park. There was pretty much a good reason for the creation of IOA in Florida-to create a thrill ride park with a Universal touch. As for a clone of Spiderman at USH, that sounds like a great idea (and in case you haven't been on Spiderman at IOA, its one of the best non-coaster thrillrides around), but a similar ride with some kind of movie theme would fit the USH image better. -Wendigo