Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > And the 5 nominees for PCW's 2001 coaster are.....

And the 5 nominees for PCW's 2001 coaster are.....

ROXY ROLLER

Posted:
4/5/00 at
6:07:32 PM

1) STEALTH

2) VOLCANO (or other LIM coaster)

3) HYPER (Steel)

4) WOODEN (a la "Hurler" or other clone)

5) B+M FLOORLESS

And the coaster that goes to PCW is....... (?)

Even though most people (including myself) feel that the obvious Titanic or American Beauty for PCW2001 will be STEALTH..... a new thought has occurred to me.

Although I love to refer to PCW as Paramount's Cloned Wonderland, PCW really hasn't cloned anything from its sister parks (except for Togo's SKYRIDER standup).

Yes, PCW loves to acquire cloned coasters (except for Vortex which PKI cloned two years after its premier at PCW).... but they tend to be clones from other parks and not its sister parks.

So this got me thinking that maybe we actually WON'T be getting STEALTH. If PCW continues the trend of not getting a clone from its sister parks, then its entirely possible that they will invest in a clone from another park / designer.

Keeping this in mind, I am going to say that the coaster which will go to PCW will be a cloned steel HYPER (thunderous applause!!!!!). And I suspect that the company to get the honours will be Intamin. Wonderland has the room to build a hyper over the pond which occupies a lot of room beside and behind the Mighty Canadian Minebuster.

Another reason for my newest speculation is this: Wonderland was the 2nd Paramount Park to get an inverted coaster (a VEKOMA SLC which no other Paramount park has [ wink wink])..... so maybe PCW will launch a new trend and invest in a Hyper steel which no other Paramount has either.

Well, we'll all know in a few months anyway.

Which of the 5 nominated coasters do you think will go to PCW in 2001?

Take care,

Roxy

Re: And the 5 nominees for PCW's 2001 coaster are. by Rob Lec at 4/5/00 7:29:28 PM

1) STEALTH 2) VOLCANO (or other LIM coaster)
> 3) HYPER (Steel) 4) WOODEN (a la
> "Hurler" or other clone) 5) B+M
> FLOORLESS And the coaster that goes to PCW
> is....... (?) Which of the 5 nominated
> coasters do you think will go to PCW in
> 2001? Take care, Roxy

My guess would be one of the first three on your list. Paramount tends to not buy coasters from B&M, but seems to favor Intamin (as well as Vekoma). And something tells me Paramount might avoid building two woodies in a row (SOB).

If it is to be a clone I suspect you're more likely to get a Volcano rather than a Stealth, though you're reasoning on the hyper sounds good and that would be a great addition. Just my 2 cents worth.

Re: And the 5 nominees for PCW's 2001 coaster are. by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/5/00 7:40:26 PM

1. B&M Inverted.

2. B&M Speedcoaster

3. Vekoma Flying

4. GCI Wooden

5. B&M Floorless

--K

Re: And the 5 nominees for PCW's 2001 coaster are. by Johnny Mnemonic at 4/5/00 9:31:01 PM

1) STEALTH 2) VOLCANO (or other LIM coaster)
> 3) HYPER (Steel) 4) WOODEN (a la
> "Hurler" or other clone) 5) B+M
> FLOORLESS And the coaster that goes to PCW
> is....... (?) Even though most people
> (including myself) feel that the obvious
> Titanic or American Beauty for PCW2001 will
> be STEALTH..... a new thought has occurred
> to me. Although I love to refer to PCW as
> Paramount's Cloned Wonderland, PCW really
> hasn't cloned anything from its sister parks
> (except for Togo's SKYRIDER standup). Yes,
> PCW loves to acquire cloned coasters (except
> for Vortex which PKI cloned two years after
> its premier at PCW).... but they tend to be
> clones from other parks and not its sister
> parks. So this got me thinking that maybe
> we actually WON'T be getting STEALTH. If PCW
> continues the trend of not getting a clone
> from its sister parks, then its entirely
> possible that they will invest in a clone
> from another park / designer. Keeping this
> in mind, I am going to say that the coaster
> which will go to PCW will be a cloned steel
> HYPER (thunderous applause!!!!!). And I
> suspect that the company to get the honours
> will be Intamin. Wonderland has the room to
> build a hyper over the pond which occupies a
> lot of room beside and behind the Mighty
> Canadian Minebuster. Another reason for my
> newest speculation is this: Wonderland was
> the 2nd Paramount Park to get an inverted
> coaster (a VEKOMA SLC which no other
> Paramount park has [ wink wink])..... so
> maybe PCW will launch a new trend and invest
> in a Hyper steel which no other Paramount
> has either. Well, we'll all know in a few
> months anyway. Which of the 5 nominated
> coasters do you think will go to PCW in
> 2001? Take care, Roxy

I think I agree with you about Stealth. I think PGA will get exclusive time to promote Stealth as the *only* flying coaster, therefore will get to have it at least two years before another is built(like Volcano at PKD). But I wouldn't be surprised at all if PCW also gets a first of it's kind coaster of their own for 2001, that seems to be Paramount's MO right now.

1)Volcano-a first 2)SOB-a first 3)Stealth-a first 4)PCW 2001-? 5)PGA 2001-? 6)PKD 2001-?

Get the picture?

Speculation is the sweetest part of it all... by Northrider at 4/6/00 12:43:04 AM

In 1996, I knew we weren't getting a new coaster. We got a waterpark addition, and a skycoaster that was OK, and expected to some degree. 1997's Dropzone was different, but didn't quite measure up to Topgun. 1998 was dismal indeed with the addition of Kidzville.(At that point, I thought that Wonderland was suffering a coaster drought...Little did I know) 1999, we got a coaster...yay! and a really sad one at that...I'm not even going to name it. 2000 was the year I was thinking would be the kicker for Paramount's best addition since acquisition of the park in 94, but NO of course not. I'll probably fall asleep on Cliffhanger, and I'm not short enough to go on Scooby's Haunted Mansion, which by the way I'm looking forward to more than Cliffhanger.

PCW has backed themselves into a corner. If I'm anything like the average Wonderland connaiseur, then they have to have realized through their research that some people are just getting tired of Wonderland. Don't get me wrong...I love the place to death, ask me any question about the place, and I'll know the answer guaranteed. It's just sad to stand by and see all the park's potential wasted on second-rate attractions.

2001 IS the year, and if it isn't, I'm afraid I'll stop my season pass buying tradition, which has remained strong since 1987. Nobody can deny that 01 is the year for the biggie.

Fact of the matter is that everything you've suggested as being the possible new coaster is cool. We just have to sit back and see what happens. Enjoy this time, because as my philosophy goes, it's not the thing, but the anticpation of it that makes the result all the more sweet.

One suggestion I do have is... There is a little film coming out this summer called, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2, and it's owned by none other than....Paramount Pictures. Now that's one of the coolest names for a Coaster that I've heard come along in years...Can't wait to see what they come up with for that one.

In the meantime, sit back, relax, and watch the magic unfold. It'll be worth it I'm sure.

PCW Additions by Kevin Reid at 4/6/00 9:03:52 AM

>1998 was dismal indeed with the addition of
> Kidzville.(At that point, I thought that
> Wonderland was suffering a coaster
> drought...Little did I know)

Kidzville was an excellent addition to PCW in my opinion. Wonderland is a family park and this addition provided PCW with a record attendance year. When we first visited PCW in 1996 my boys were still quite young and none of us were into coasters and thought then that they needed more kids rides.

> 1999, we got a coaster...yay! and a really sad >one at that...I'm not even going to name it.

It is called "The Fly" and we love it and can't understand why another Paramount park has not gotten one. It was a fabulous use of space in an area that was completely being under utilized with what was previously there. (batting cage etc.)

>2000 was the year I was thinking would be the
> kicker for Paramount's best addition since
> acquisition of the park in 94, but NO of
> course not. I'll probably fall asleep on
> Cliffhanger, and I'm not short enough to go
> on Scooby's Haunted Mansion, which by the
> way I'm looking forward to more than
> Cliffhanger.

Sure! I am also disappointed over what is coming for 2000. Mainly because I am not much of a spin & spew guy. We are looking forward to Scooby's Haunted House with our boys.

> Don't get me wrong...I love the
> place to death, ask me any question about
> the place, and I'll know the answer
> guaranteed.

I understand that you feel frustrated and you are entitled to feel that way. Here is your question - Don't anybody else answer. Wilde Beast was built at an original cost of $xxx and modelled after what famous coaster? Bonus question: How much black top is used in guest area of the park? Bonus answer: None!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

PCW Junkies On Ride Photos of Fear

Sorry, didn't mean to rustle any feathers, BUT... by Northrider at 4/6/00 9:17:00 PM

You have to look at this from my perspective. I'm a 20 year-old University student with NO children. I'm not yet that interested in a Kids area. Besides, I'll never forgive them for getting rid of Smurf Forest. That place was the coolest place in the world when I was a kid. Now they have these scary looking things called rugrats.

OK, "THE FLY" Yes it's unique, but it's a wild mouse nonetheless. I just have a preference for coasters with large lifthills, and more speed.

Didn't mean to offend with my COMMENTS, they are just comments....Heck, you'll probably see me riding "THE FLY" all the time in the summer. I agree with you that Wonderland's got all bases covered as far as family fun is concerned It's almost perfect for Kids.

See, the thing is that now it has to improve for people like me who are tired of seeing all the really cool coasters go over to the U.S.A. You have to understand that when I was looking forward to getting a Coaster, I was disappointed to see something like a Kidzville get put in.

I believe that the Wilde Beast was built to resemble the Idora Wildcat(I'm probably wrong though) Money wise... I have no clue.(Too long ago for me to remember :-)

I value your opinions Kevin...Thanks for the feedback... Just try a little in your heart to see things from my perspective and to value my opinions too:o).... Chris.

No Feathers Ruffled by Kevin Reid at 4/6/00 10:59:50 PM

You are indeed entitled to your opinion and the darn accountant in me always looks at things from a business point of view. Parks know they can get more gate admissions from a family entering the park rather than dropping of their teenage kids at the front and picking them up later. Some of us enthusiasts forget that this is a business and everything is bottom line driven.

> You have to look at this from my
> perspective. I'm a 20 year-old University
> student with NO children.

But, in 5-10 years you will be grateful for Kidzville,Rugrats, etc.

> OK, "THE FLY" Yes it's unique, but
> it's a wild mouse nonetheless. I just have a
> preference for coasters with large
> lifthills, and more speed. Didn't mean to
> offend with my COMMENTS,

No offence taken. Just to repeat that "The Fly" was a great family addition to the park in my opinion. You are allowed to be disappointed that it is not a B&M floorless.

> the Wilde Beast was built to resemble the
> Idora Wildcat(I'm probably wrong though)

Nope! Wilde Beast built when the park first opened at a cost of $800,000 1981 dollars. Modelled after Cincinnati's Coney Island Wildcat. It was the first of three built, the others are called Grizzly at PGA & PKD.

> opinions Kevin...Thanks for the feedback...
> Just try a little in your heart to see
> things from my perspective and to value my
> opinions too:o).... Chris.

Keep posting Chris because this is a dicussion board and it would get pretty boring if nobody responded or if everybody agreed.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

PCW Junkies On Ride Photos of Fear