Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Super Response from Setpoint Inc.

Super Response from Setpoint Inc.

Capler

Posted:
4/5/00 at
2:14:21 PM

Robert,

Thanks for the great review. As you can imagine, we are very excited about the reception the attraction has received from park guests. Its much more popular than we had ever guessed it would be. And we thought it would be pretty popular! Watching the smiles, hearing the squeals, and sensing the delight of riders as they exit is super gratifying.

If you'll send me your mailing address, I'd like to send you a stylish Swing Thing baseball cap.

Ride on!

Scott Glenn SETPOINT

A Super Saturating Experience-Ride Review Robert Caple

The winner of the most innovative coaster of 2000 has to be Set Point 's Flying Super Saturator at Paramount's Carowinds in Charlotte North Carolina. Set Point are the people who brought us Pteradon Flyers at Island of Adventure in Orlando Florida. You have to see this thing to believe it. The $4 million coaster is a, one of a kind, Swing Thing saturating water ride heavily themed to the Rug Rats on Nickelodeon. Water and lots of it, is the major star of this attraction. The coaster is a medium sized suspended swinging attraction built over a big shallow pool of water. The queue line snakes across the pool leading up to the loading station. The perimeter of the pool contains 24 or so stationary super saturation guns. These guns are for persons who care not to experience the full effect of the saturating experience by riding the coaster. Spectators are encouraged to take pot shots at riders as they fly by with the guns that are capable of shooting jets of water up to 50 feet in the air. Flying passengers are not totally defenseless and are well equipped for sweet revenge. Each rider is armed with a 5-gallon water bomb that can be released with the pull of a lever. I even watched all 4 riders drop their bombs at the same time which really drenched the not-so-helpless people below. The soaking experience begins as future riders enter the queue line. Riders must walk or run through a waterfall down pour, a spouting shower sheet, and dodge an unpredictable geyser. If thatís not enough you also have to avoid jets of water, compliments of our land loving friends, just to get to the station. I forgot to mention that you also have to be watchful of the armed riders flying above, considering that the queue line seems to be their target of choice. The coaster consists of 4-seater cars where riders sit two abreast with 2 additional riders behind them facing outward. In this type of configuration two riders are facing forward while the other two are facing backwards. The coaster has 4 of these cars but on this particular Saturday they were only running two. The loading area also serves as the refueling station. As passengers are boarded , water from above is pumped into the 4 empty bomb reservoirs on the car. The loading and refueling process takes about 1 minute. Riders are ready to do battle as the car is pulled to the top of the 50-ft. lift hill. The car is quite fast as it soars through the first few water features at a speed of 44 feet per second. The coaster's fast speed may have something to do with the extra water weight the cars are carrying. All seems well when riders reach the mid-course brakes, which slows the car down considerably. At this point riders are totally wet, but there is still one more surprise in store before the 1086-ft course is completed. As the car slowly leaves the break run, a huge geyser erupts from the pool below and totally engulfs all riders. If riders had any hopes of surviving with a dry spot, this geyser quickly dashes them. The total ride time is a little more than a minute. The ride is very fun and is a must experience attraction. I had most of my fun manning a gun taking shots at sitting duck riders. I spent an hour doing this and became quite good at it. A local Charlotte TV station even featured me blasting unsuspecting riders. Once again Paramount Parks has produced a unique attraction which is worthy of replication in all parks. Cheers to Set Point Inc. of Ugden Utah for making it possible.