Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Plans to Revitalize Coney

Plans to Revitalize Coney

JerzeyFreeze

Posted:
4/5/00 at
12:43:31 PM

Today in the NY Post ( p.26) - $60M "ballpark" figure for plan to revitalize Coney Is.

In addition to the new ballpark.. there will be public recreation areas, a new parking lot, and boardwalk improvements. "We're talking about $30 million for the stadium, $19 million for site improvements, and, along the boardwalk, $10 million"..

Best news of all.. The plans also call for the renovation and reopening of the famed Parachute Jump ride next to the ballpark, on the site of the old Steeplechase Park.

Re: Plans to Revitalize Coney by bjal at 4/5/00 1:50:58 PM

> Today in the NY Post ( p.26) - $60M
> "ballpark" figure for plan to
> revitalize Coney Is. In addition to the new
> ballpark.. there will be public recreation
> areas, a new parking lot, and boardwalk
> improvements. "We're talking about $30
> million for the stadium, $19 million for
> site improvements, and, along the boardwalk,
> $10 million".. Best news of all.. The
> plans also call for the renovation and
> reopening of the famed Parachute Jump ride
> next to the ballpark, on the site of the old
> Steeplechase Park.

Is the restoration of the Thunderbolt part of the plan, or are they just going to tear it down?

Re: Plans to Revitalize Coney by Flare at 4/5/00 3:16:31 PM

> Today in the NY Post ( p.26) - $60M
> "ballpark" figure for plan to
> revitalize Coney Is. In addition to the new
> ballpark.. there will be public recreation
> areas, a new parking lot, and boardwalk
> improvements. "We're talking about $30
> million for the stadium, $19 million for
> site improvements, and, along the boardwalk,
> $10 million".. Best news of all.. The
> plans also call for the renovation and
> reopening of the famed Parachute Jump ride
> next to the ballpark, on the site of the old
> Steeplechase Park.

That is very interesting news, Freeze, as i saw it today also...And did you see the Daily News front page...FULL blown Cyclone pic to illustrate the lovely nasdaq roller-coaster ride. I cracked up when i saw it...

Hopefully the huge renovation planned won't ruin the mystique and allure of the current Midway that exists. As run down as it is in some places, and would turn off *certain* theme park venturers, it's got a certain quality that you just can't get anywhere else... Though, i'd be the FIRST to say there's LOTS of room to build a nice hyper next to the Parachute tower...heh heh :-)

Dave

Re: Plans to Revitalize Coney by JerzeyFreeze at 4/5/00 3:39:30 PM

Is the restoration of the Thunderbolt part of
> the plan, or are they just going to tear it
> down?

There was no mention of the Thunderbolt. My gut feeling is that the T-bolt will give way to a parking lot for the stadium.

Re: Plans to Revitalize Coney by JerzeyFreeze at 4/5/00 4:05:16 PM

That is very interesting news, Freeze, as i saw
> it today also...And did you see the Daily
> News front page...FULL blown Cyclone pic to
> illustrate the lovely nasdaq roller-coaster
> ride. I cracked up when i saw it...
> Hopefully the huge renovation planned won't
> ruin the mystique and allure of the current
> Midway that exists. As run down as it is in
> some places, and would turn off *certain*
> theme park venturers, it's got a certain
> quality that you just can't get anywhere
> else... Though, i'd be the FIRST to say
> there's LOTS of room to build a nice hyper
> next to the Parachute tower...heh heh :-)
> Dave

Yeah Dave..that front page News photo, got me iching to run down this weekend to hop on the ornery old lady once again.

I agree with your point about that certain grungy charm that presently exists, but I'm afraid these plans look like they cater to the GP rather than the connoiseur. Still i'm hopeful some of the old Coney mystique will survive.

Re: Plans to Revitalize Coney by Flare at 4/5/00 5:27:47 PM

Yeah Dave..that front page News photo,
> got me iching to run down this weekend to
> hop on the ornery old lady once again. I
> agree with your point about that certain
> grungy charm that presently exists, but I'm
> afraid these plans look like they cater to
> the GP rather than the connoiseur. Still i'm
> hopeful some of the old Coney mystique will
> survive.

I totally agree Freeze, and i think the idea for *Volley Ball* courts on the beach is...well...silly...lol... *The Atlanic Manhattan Beach...heh*... But the re-opening of the *Parachute Jump* ride...now there's a GLORIOUS idea. I really hope someone works on saving the Thunderbolt as well...It's a steel frame, i believe, like the Cyclone, and doesn't look beyond demolition. They should take a few of the proposed 60 million and put it there...pardon me, but I'd just as soon forego the new *Water Fountains* and the *Spray pavilion*...lol

I'll be there this coming Sunday, Freeze, and think there'll be a few others from URC and RRC, if you're interested in coming out. In not, we'll share a ride on her crankiness sometime in the future, for sure! She's looking gnarly as ever, which has me totally excited. :-)

Dave

Re: Plans to Revitalize Coney by Jersey Joe at 4/5/00 6:35:18 PM

> Is the restoration of the Thunderbolt part
> of There was no mention of the Thunderbolt.
> My gut feeling is that the T-bolt will give
> way to a parking lot for the stadium.

You are most definitely right. The T'Bolt is not in the plans for restoration. Unfortunately!

Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: Plans to Revitalize Coney by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/6/00 12:29:31 AM

Ok as a native New Yorker, there is a difference between rehabilitation and rebuilding. You see this is a landmark of NY and what this tells me is that the Tower is not in good shape. But there is nothing that states the Parachute will reopen and that omission speaks volumns to me.

Anyway, 60 million does not go far in the construction industry in this area. Already in a year the ballpark has gone from being 20 million to 30 so take that as a warning and don t look at it too optimistically.

For the rest of you here is the dailey News Article

http://www.mostnewyork.com/2000-04-05/News_and_Views/City_Beat/a-62307.asp

Ed

Re: Plans to Revitalize Coney by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/6/00 12:41:04 AM

There is nothing about restoration in any of the proposals. Rehabilitation of the Parachute Jump is all that is included. This is not to say that it will be used again only rehabilitating the structure. I am normally an optomistic but with NYC goverment, well that is another country. just compare the cost of the Altoona/Lakemount stadium to the Coney Stadium and that will tell you all. I would suggest that everyone calm down and take this with a grain of salt.Sorry to be the downer but I grew up in this area.

Ed

Re: Plans to Revitalize Coney by JerzeyFreeze at 4/6/00 9:29:04 AM

> Ok as a native New Yorker, there is a
> difference between rehabilitation and
> rebuilding. You see this is a landmark of NY
> and what this tells me is that the Tower is
> not in good shape. But there is nothing that
> states the Parachute will reopen and that
> omission speaks volumns to me. Anyway, 60
> million does not go far in the construction
> industry in this area. Already in a year the
> ballpark has gone from being 20 million to
> 30 so take that as a warning and don t look
> at it too optimistically. For the rest of
> you here is the dailey News Article
> http://www.mostnewyork.com/2000-04-05/News_and_Views/City_Beat/a-62307.asp
> Ed

True Ed, the News article says rehabilitation, but the Post article (p.26) says rehabilitation and reopening.. but you're right. It's hard to believe that 3 mill will get that thing operational again.

Re: the parachute drop will not reopen by Raging bull Fan at 4/6/00 3:55:44 PM

> Ok as a native New Yorker, there is a
> difference between rehabilitation and
> rebuilding. You see this is a landmark of NY
> and what this tells me is that the Tower is
> not in good shape. But there is nothing that
> states the Parachute will reopen and that
> omission speaks volumns to me. Anyway, 60
> million does not go far in the construction
> industry in this area. Already in a year the
> ballpark has gone from being 20 million to
> 30 so take that as a warning and don t look
> at it too optimistically. For the rest of
> you here is the dailey News Article
> http://www.mostnewyork.com/2000-04-05/News_and_Views/City_Beat/a-62307.asp
> Ed its deemed structuraly unsound! It has to be torn down! The article has actually been updated, sorry don't have time to get link