Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Fury 325?

Fury 325?

dboor129 dboor129 Profile

Posted:
8/21/14 at
8:06:55 PM

Is this gonna blow Millennium Force out of the water? Opinions please!

Re: Fury 325? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/21/14 9:08:59 PM
I'll get flamed and Im sure it will be a good ride. I however again, Don't get it. 305 a couple years back and now this. No creativity other than its entry show to the park.

Waist of space. The two small Gravity Group coasters have more elements with 40ft tall and 2000 feet long.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Fury 325? by yankeefan0809 yankeefan0809 Profile at 8/22/14 2:50:57 AM
I kinda agree with you. I feel like this ride is kinda redundant since they have a B&M hyper that is similar in ride experience. I think Intamin makes the best giga coasters but then again, I'm an Intamin fan boy lol. For some reason, Cedar Fair is not building any more Intamin coasters and this was their next best option for a giga and they want the headlines. I'm sure it'll be a fun ride but I'll probably be left wanting more.
Re: Fury 325? by Capler at 8/22/14 11:47:45 AM
First off you have to trust most parks know what they are doing, especially big chains. They have experts, experience and lots of data to support their decisions.

CF has experience in adding hyper, giga, and the strata coaster combo to the same park. Granted at CP, those rides were done by different manufacturers, and give differ ride experiences, they still adhere to the same principles of height, speed and breaking records.

In terms of doing this at Wonderland and using the same manufacturer, apparently the combination still works, otherwise they would not be sinking $30 million into the Carowinds coaster.

I understand an enthusiast might not see the rationale in this concept but you really have to think like a park owner and a member of the GP to get it.

Intamins have been very problematic for CF. I won't go into detail because it is well documented. When a signature ride is down, it's costly for a park; your guest are upset, and will leave with a bad experience. If that happens often, you will develop a bad reputation which could take years to overcome.
On the other hand B&Ms are very reliable. Look at it this way, would you rather have a fancy car that breaks down often or a reliable basic vehicle?

Next it is all about the ride experience for the majority of guest. Most enthusiast want a very extreme ride. We want to be tossed, and turned while leaving blood and guts on the track. That is not the case at all with the GP. Half of the guest that enter a park are even too afraid to get on an medium sized coaster. B&M offers exactly what the doctor ordered. They will offer an extremely smooth ride experience and takes the guest right to the edge. The goal is for them to have fun, not scare the daylights out of them. You don't ever want folks walking away saying 'I'm never getting back on that.' This is exactly why parks trim some rides to death.

Comparing the two Intimidators, enthusiast love 305, but many members of the GP are afraid of it. On the other hand 232 is a lot more conducive to the total family experience. You see whole families waiting in line and doing re-rides. Maintenance issues aside, this is why a park keeps going back to B&M. Frankly it is a lot better on the bottom line, and has a higher return on investment.

With Fury, and some of the other B&Ms of late, they appear to be attempting to thread the needle and giving the enthusiast what they want while keeping the park and GP happy. Only time will tell if this works. If Fury ends up being heavily trimmed then we know it did not.

Re: Fury 325? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/22/14 1:39:44 PM
yankeefan0809 said:

I kinda agree with you. I feel like this ride is kinda redundant since they have a B&M hyper that is similar in ride experience. I think Intamin makes the best giga coasters but then again, I'm an Intamin fan boy lol. For some reason, Cedar Fair is not building any more Intamin coasters and this was their next best option for a giga and they want the headlines. I'm sure it'll be a fun ride but I'll probably be left wanting more.

I don't know why, But I liked Raging Bull much more than the speed coasters. Honestly IMHO the old Arrow/Morgans do a ton more for me than the speed coasters, Your wrapped in a clamshell restraint with very little movement. At least give me a quick multi element, changing direction ride.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Fury 325? by houstondavid houstondavid Profile at 8/22/14 9:31:31 PM
Hi,

Millennium Force has faced many challengers over the years, and yet it is still among the small group of coasters that set the standard against which all other coasters are judged. So it seems unlikely that any newcomer is going to blow it away.

Only time will tell whether Fury 325 has what it takes to join that circle. I love to ride B&M Hypers and I'm sure I will love riding Fury 325. But it isn't clear from the renderings that it has the intensity to make the enthusiasts passionate about it. I for one can't wait to find out :->.

David

Re: Fury 325? by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 8/23/14 11:50:04 PM
Capler said:

Comparing the two Intimidators, enthusiast love 305, but many members of the GP are afraid of it. On the other hand 232 is a lot more conducive to the total family experience. You see whole families waiting in line and doing re-rides. Maintenance issues aside, this is why a park keeps going back to B&M. Frankly it is a lot better on the bottom line, and has a higher return on investment.

houstondavid said:

Hi,

Millennium Force has faced many challengers over the years, and yet it is still among the small group of coasters that set the standard against which all other coasters are judged. So it seems unlikely that any newcomer is going to blow it away.

Only time will tell whether Fury 325 has what it takes to join that circle. I love to ride B&M Hypers and I'm sure I will love riding Fury 325. But it isn't clear from the renderings that it has the intensity to make the enthusiasts passionate about it. I for one can't wait to find out :->.

It seems the concensus being expressed is that Intamin hypers are more popular with "enthusiasts" and B&M hypers are more popular with the "GP", and not considered as "exciting" or "thrilling" by enthusiasts.

That does seem to be true for many enthusiasts based on the steel rankings, but for me personally, I consider myself an "enthusiast" but I MUCH prefer Beemer hypers over Intamins.

The reason is I am a total airtime junkie, and my enjoyment of a ride depends largely on how much airtime I get. And by "airtime" I mean being physically LIFTED several inches out of my seat and floating out of it ALL THE WAY DOWN the drops.

This happens to me on the Beemer hypers, as there is enough room for me on the first "legal" lap bar click for this to happen. And the clamshell restraint has the handholds in the perfect place to make it easy for me to keep the bar where I set it throughout the ride.

Unfortunately, on every Intamin hyper I've ever ridden, I get stapled so tightly that I don't experience "airtime" in the way I define "airtime". Sure, I feel a somewhat weightless feeling going over the camelbacks, but since I'm stapled, I don't actually float out of the seat.

And that is why I find the Beemer hypers more fun, thrilling, and "extreme" for my taste than Intamins.

And why the 5 Beemer hypers I've ridden are my top 5 steelies.

If I could ride Intamin hypers in the Schwarzkopf trains that run on Mindbender and Shockwave (which I get fantastic air on), I'd probably have a better opinion of SOME of them.

In the case of the two "Intimidators", for me the Beemer at Carowinds OWNS the Intamin at KD.

On the Carowinds version I get sweet, sweet air on every single camelback; a near-perfect ride in which I seemingly spend more time out of the seat than in it, placing it strongly in my steel Top 4.

By contrast, on 305, I am pinned tightly to the seat the entire time, and even experience grayout-inducing positive g's, which for my taste is NOT a good thing.

I like a ride with negative g's cranked up to the max, and with "forceless", non-existant positive g's! So the KD Intimidator is my lowest rated of the 14 hypers I've ridden, and not even in my steel top 20! (and Millenium Force is my 12th or 13th fave of the 14 hypers/gigas I've ridden).

So, I applaud the decision to go with B&M for the giga at Carowinds. The only "negative" thing I can say about this is that, like at Canada's Wonderland, there doesn't seem to be enough pure airtime-filled "up and over" camelbacks on the Beemer "giga" for my taste - at least not as compared to Intimidator, Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, and SFOG Goliath. I don't think it will have as many airtime moments as Carowinds' Intimidator, and I suspect I will probably prefer Intimidator as my fave steel at Carowinds.

But I know I'll get great air on the camelbacks it DOES have, thanks to the roomy, comfortable, Beemer clamshell restraints. So I fully expect "Fury 325" to join the 5 Beemer hypers I've ridden in my steel Top 6, and look forward to riding it some day.

* This post was modified at 8/24/14 12:10:43 AM *

"If it isn't wood, it's not as good!"
Favorite wood and overall favorite - Voyage, Holiday World. Favorite steel - Nitro, Great Adventure
"Voyage To Paradise" - http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/profiles/frontrider/blog/340
Re: Fury 325? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/24/14 2:23:22 PM
Fury 325 is now most wanted coaster in North America. Carowinds is now #1 priority for 2015. Holiday World and Thunderbird are a close 2nd.

* This post was modified at 8/24/14 2:25:01 PM *

Re: Fury 325? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/24/14 8:05:47 PM
Frontrider said:

The only "negative" thing I can say about this is that, like at Canada's Wonderland, there doesn't seem to be enough pure airtime-filled "up and over" camelbacks on the Beemer "giga" for my taste - at least not as compared to Intimidator, Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, and SFOG Goliath. I don't think it will have as many airtime moments as Carowinds' Intimidator, and I suspect I will probably prefer Intimidator as my fave steel at Carowinds.

I love air time, too (note profile) and while I do enjoy a few Intamins out there that provide ejector air, I love mostly the floaty extended air I get on the B&M hypers. They tend to be just more fun in general.

Your comments above mimic my thoughts almost to the letter.
I take it you prefer Behemoth over Leviathian at CW for just the reasons stated, as I do. And that is why I feel exactly as you do re a Giga being added to a park that has a Hyper: something tells us the Hyper will be our favorite (I have ridden Carowind's Intimidator).

Mike B.
Re: Fury 325? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/26/14 10:03:02 AM
I consider myself an "enthusiast", and I can say without a doubt I love B&M hypers over any 200ft+ tall Intamin.

I enjoy intamin rides, but I would take a B&M hyper any day of the week.

And gimme a second to put my flame suit on *steps in suit*, I think Millennium Force is fun, but no where near as much fun as rides like Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Raging Bull, ect.

I much prefer the seating on B&M rides, I prefer the airtime you get on camel backs, and I enjoy just the overall experience more (4 seats across with friends, smooth ride, less jerking, ect). I do like MF, and unfortunately I've only ridden it once, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Although I feel the same about I-305 v.s B&M hypers, which I have ridden I-305 a handful of times.

Has anyone in this thread ridden Leviathan? I didn't compare the layout of Fury and Leviathan but I would imagine you could expect at least a slightly similar experience due to the height and speed similarities.

Final Thoughts:

As a fan of B&M rides, and hypers especially, I would love another addition (300ft B&M) at my home park (SFGAdv) despite us already having a 230ft hyper in Nitro. However, I do get why enthusiasts would be a.) confused at the addition when a similar ride is present and b.) disappointed a new addition isn't more unique.

Hell, I think there should be more Diving coasters out there like Griffon and Shiekra but hey, I think the addition of 300ft monsters is definitely not a BAD thing at all.

So yeah. I love hypers, I love B&M, and although I would prefer to keep the 200ft tall hypers as the one and only at the parks they're at, in favor of more diverse ride additions, I would still welcome a 300ft monster at any park.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Fury 325? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/26/14 10:26:41 AM
Kyle, I've ridden Leviathan. The ride is all about speed, with only one moment of great air time. It's sort of like B&M's version of Millennium Force. Behemoth is actually my favorite coaster at Canadas Wonderland. I've experienced incredible air time on it, and I've been to the park last year and in 2010. I have ridden Leviathan 4 times and Behemoth about a dozen times. There is another B&M megacoaster in Montreal called Goliath. It's not quite 200 foot, but has better air time than some of the other taller B&M hypercoasters. I personally like the Intimans much more. I've ridden all the B&M and Intiman hypercoasters/ gigacoasters/ stratacoasters in North America. I just like that ejector type air time.
Re: Fury 325? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/26/14 10:41:33 AM
Kyle, I've ridden Leviathan. The ride is all about speed, with only one moment of great air time. It's sort of like B&M's version of Millennium Force. Behemoth is actually my favorite coaster at Canadas Wonderland. I've experienced incredible air time on it, and I've been to the park last year and in 2010. I have ridden Leviathan 4 times and Behemoth about a dozen times. There is another B&M megacoaster in Montreal called Goliath. It's not quite 200 foot, but has better air time than some of the other taller B&M hypercoasters. I personally like the Intimans much more. I've ridden all the B&M and Intiman hypercoasters/ gigacoasters/ stratacoasters in North America. I just like that ejector type air time.
Re: Fury 325? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/26/14 10:51:50 AM
frontrow said:

First name treatment! haha. I didn't know anyone else knew my name besides Mike! (beastmaster)

I have yet to visit Canada's Wonderland but I expect my favorites would be the same. Behemoth - then Leviathan.

Also I envy you! I am still missing quite a few of the hypers.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Fury 325? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/27/14 10:39:50 AM
mugen828 said:
First name treatment! haha. I didn't know anyone else knew my name besides Mike! (beastmaster)

:)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Fury 325? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/27/14 11:37:27 AM
I never got why Intimidator had so many airtime hills -- I don't picture airtime hills when thinking about Nascar. With all this talk about Fury (and Leviathan) being all about speed, I'd rename Fury as Intimidator and vice versa.

* This post was modified at 8/27/14 3:27:14 PM *

Re: Fury 325? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/27/14 2:31:12 PM
^^^I agree that those two Carowinds coaster names' fit the other better.

* This post was modified at 8/27/14 9:42:01 PM *

Re: Fury 325? by Tomes at 9/5/14 1:20:51 PM
Reading all these comments just shows how even among enthusiasts, there is no absolute "good" and "bad"
I've always been a speed junkie, and I love ejector-type airtime such as offered on many Intamins including El Toro and the awesome new Goliath in Chicago.
I haven't ridden Leviathan yet, or Behemoth, but I wonder which one I'd like better.
If you saw the video of Fury325 I think you can tell it's actually NOTHING like Intimidator... They're as different as Raptor and Nitro.. Both B&M buts that's about it. Intimidator is out-and-back, full of tall Hills, first drop of just over 200ft..Fury is full of speed and looks like it has at least one ejector-type airtime hill, is more twisty and keeps a more consistent pace throughout.

The thing about the Beemer hypers I've experienced (Nitro, raging bull and appolos chariot) I'd that at the top of the hills the train slows down so much that I don't feel airtime. Only on Nitro's front row do I feel slight floater-type airtime. But Intamins deliver more intense air for my taste.
Millennium Force does deliver good airtime moments, but there are only 3 of them.. So I feel like Fury325 will be a very close competitor