Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters

Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters

Viula11

Posted:
8/12/14 at
11:45:26 PM

I haven't been to all, but I've judged based on the amount of thrill oriented coasters each park had. I matched the 2 parks most similar in amounts of thrill oriented rides together and created a bracket based on quality each round. I've judged as fairly as I can.

My results for the top 3:

1. Six Flags Magic Mountain - I wish it could be quality over quantity, but s*** the quantity of the coasters here are so damn high it's hard to beat it with using just quality. Tatsu, X2 and Superman I would consider the big three.

2. Six Flags Great Adventure - It's hard to rank above this park when it's big three include two massively acclaimed beloved huge coasters - El Toro and Nitro - and a height, drop and speed record breaker - Kingda Ka. The coasters here are tall and fast compared to other SF parks.

3. Six Flags Over Georgia - A great catalogue of coasters here. What it lacks in height it makes up for in variety and intensity. Especially the variety to the coaster elements in this park. Definitely a classic park. Was torn between this, New England and Over Texas and didn't really finish my analyzation yet, but so far it looks good for this park.

Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/13/14 3:12:28 AM
^^^I totally agree with that order. The other three that I've been to are SF Fiesta Texas, SF America, and the old SF Elitch Gardens.
Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/13/14 10:16:08 AM
I've only been to three. My trip to Six Flags Over Georgia never came to fruition due to my job cancelling a conference we were going to have down there.

Due to my lack of Six Flags ventures, I'm going to do two lists: favorites (those I've been to) and best overall (those I've been and not been to) since the latter is only my perception (reality will probably be different).

Favorites: 1. Six Flags America 2. Six Flags Great Adventure 3. Six Flags Great America

Best: 1. Six Flags Magic Mountain 2. Six Flags New England 3. Six Flags Over Georgia

I'm going to Darien Lake at the end of this month. They're a former Six Flags park, are we counting those? :P

* This post was modified at 8/13/14 10:18:28 AM *

Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/13/14 12:14:59 PM
I've been to:

SF Great Adventure
SF New England
SF America
SF Over Georgia
SF St. Louis
SF Great Escape

I visited Elitch Gardens as a child, before it was a Six Flags property, and Darien Lake after Six Flags ditched it.

I have a bias toward my home park, but it's justified, as El Toro, Nitro, Bizarro are among my favorites overall.

All of the other parks I mentioned have at least one very good/great coaster, but I won't rank them, since they don't have the number of quality rides GrAdv does. Nothing at Georgia or New England really stands out (Bizarro lovers, don't hate.) St. Louis' American Thunder, Great Escape's Comet, America's Superman/Wild One are all rides I liked a lot. But again, GrAdv has quality and quantity in the package.

Mike

*EDIT* I completely blanked an forgot I had been to SF Great America and Kentucky Kingdom. My day at SFGA is one I don't look upon fondlty, so I suppose I can be forgiven for forgetting it. My visit to KK, on that same trip in '07, was a little better, but I'm not sure it was a Six Flags property at that time.

* This post was modified at 8/14/14 6:43:45 AM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/13/14 12:17:46 PM
1) Six Flags Great Adventure
2) Six Flags Over Georgia
3) Six Flags Great America
Six Flags Over Texas is a close 4th.
I haven't been to Six Flags Magic Mountain or Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. I think those are the only 2 in the US or Canada that I haven't been to.
Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by Viula11 at 8/13/14 2:25:53 PM
I never realized how grateful I should be that the closest six flags park to me (2 hrs away) is Great Adventure. I always thought there were much better six flags parks out there and this is just another one but I realized that SFGA has quality and quantity. Their coasters are generally bigger and faster and pack more of a punch it seems like than similar coasters at other six flags parks.
Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/13/14 4:20:19 PM
Viula11 said:

I never realized how grateful I should be that the closest six flags park to me (2 hrs away) is Great Adventure. I always thought there were much better six flags parks out there and this is just another one but I realized that SFGA has quality and quantity. Their coasters are generally bigger and faster and pack more of a punch it seems like than similar coasters at other six flags parks.

Well, this Saturday is National Roller Coaster Day, they're opening Kingda Ka for ERT before the park's official opening, and indeed I expect to be there. 2 hrs? Pssshh. C'mon over and join the fun!

Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/14/14 1:09:45 AM
I've been to 14 parks that are either current Six Flags parks, or Six Flags parks when I visited.
1) Great Adventure
2) Over Georgia
3) Great America
4) Over Texas
5) New England
6) Saint Louis
7) Great Escape
8) LaRonde
9) America
10) Fiesta Texas
11) Astroworld
12) Darien Lake
13) Kentucky Kingdom
14) Ohio/ Worlds of Adventure
I know some people dislike Six Flags parks, but I could say something positive about each park that I visited. I get a Six Flags season pass every year, because its less than $100 and is good for every Six Flags park. Six Flags America is the closest Six Flags park to me, but I visit Six Flags Great Adventure the most, because its my favorite park. I wish I would have visited the one in New Orleans, because it looks as if that park will never reopen. I hope to get out to California someday. There's about 10 parks in California that I really would like to visit. Maybe next will be the year.
Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by Viula11 at 8/14/14 2:31:41 AM
beastmaster said:

Viula11 said:

Well, this Saturday is National Roller Coaster Day, they're opening Kingda Ka for ERT before the park's official opening, and indeed I expect to be there. 2 hrs? Pssshh. C'mon over and join the fun!

I'm trying to choose which day to go this month. It has to be either a Saturday or a Sunday and it can't be the 24. I wanna go on a day where it might be less crowded. My options are basically the 23, the 30, and the 31. Any advice?

Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/14/14 6:48:46 AM
Viula11 said:

beastmaster said:

Viula11 said:

I'm trying to choose which day to go this month. It has to be either a Saturday or a Sunday and it can't be the 24. I wanna go on a day where it might be less crowded. My options are basically the 23, the 30, and the 31. Any advice?

Well, the Latter two days are Labor Day weekend, and that can be a crapshoot. I've been there when the crowds were moderate, and another time when you louldn't move. But either way, you're looking at an August weekend, so absent rainy weather, you're gonna get crowds.

Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/14/14 8:20:39 AM
Like FrontRow I've been to a fair number of current Six Flags parks and a number that have lost the brand. I like Six Flags as a chain because of the value of having the season pass, but I find that few of them actually have a large number of rides that I'd consider top tier. Of the ones that I've been to, which most notably is missing Georgia and Magic Mountain, I think that Great Adventure is far and away my favourite due to the combination of having El Toro, Nitro, and fun additions like Skull Mountain and Medusa.

I'll list the parks in order along with the rides that stood out for me:

1) Great Adventure
El Toro (#2 wood), Nitro (#10 steel), Skull Mountain. This is really a great collection. Skull Mountain is the weird surprising stand-out to me here, but I love enclosed twisters.

2) Over Texas
New Texas Giant (#6 wood) and Titan (close to top 10 steel) are the obvious picks here, but I like the addition of Mr. Freeze and Runaway Mountain to the mix.

3) Fiesta Texas
Has a nice location and two great coasters in Iron Rattler and the Krypton Coaster. The elevated chair ride is also solid. Short lines help this park a lot as well.

4) Ohio / Worlds of Adventure
If this park was operating today as it was in its prime year right after it was acquired then it would rank just behind Fiesta Texas for me. Villain, when it was new, ran fast and fun and Batman's location on the lake was superb. It was nicely rounded out by the classic Giant Dipper.

5) Great America
Viper, Raging Bull, Goliath, Whizzer. No top tier rides here, but a well-rounded collection. I think Viper is still my favourite ride here, and that sits outside my top 10 wood, but I do like the general vibe and variety here.

6) New England
Bizarro (#4 steel). Riverside Cyclone would have previously put this park at #4 for me, as it was one of my favourites, but Bizarro cannot hold the park up by itself for me.

7) Saint Louis
The Boss was solid when I last rode it (just outside top 10 wood), but that was ages ago and I doubt it has aged well. The John Allen classic American Eagle was also fun, and they have a Mr. Freeze example too.

8) Great Escape
This park is all about the classic Comet (#8 wood). Nice location.

9) Over Holland (Walibi Holland)
The Intamin mini-hyper Goliath is very good here (top 15 steel for me), and Robin Hood was a serviceable and interesting Vekoma wood coaster. Beyond that, the park was unremarkable.

10) Darien Lake
Superman is still a solid hyper, but it stands alone at the park.

11) Kentucky Kingdom
In the Six Flags era Thunder Run was the only really good thing here. The new steel that is over there would likely push this park much higher when I ride it, though I don't know if that would be fair given the subject of this list.

12) Over Belgium (Walibi Belgium)
Loup-Garou isn't bad, nicely landscaped. Not much else at Vekoma land though.

* This post was modified at 8/14/14 8:22:50 AM *

Michael W.
242: 66 (22 CCI/GG) / 175
Voyage / Eurosat
R.I.P.: Riverside Cyclone...
Re: Rank the top 3 Six Flags parks in terms of roller coasters by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/18/14 12:06:03 PM
I've been to the following (in this order too):

Six Flags Great Adventure
Six Flags New England
Six Flags Great America
Six Flags Over Georgia
Six Flags St. Louis
Six Flags Fiesta Texas

So I haven't been to the big SFMM, nor have I been to SFOT.

With all that said, here are my top 3, going off just coasters alone.

1. Six Flags Great Adventure - It's my home park, no surprise it's listed at #1. I list it there because bias/my love for it, but also because it has 3 world class coasters in Kingda Ka, El Toro, and Nitro, and then a plethora of other options.

2. Six Flags Great America - With the addition of Goliath it's hard to outdo this park. Goliath (haven't ridden), Raging Bull, and X-Flight should make any enthusiast want to stop here. X-Flight is my favorite wing rider, so that makes the top 3 there even sweeter for me.

3. Six Flags Over Georgia - Hyper coaster (Goliath) check! Something unique (Dare Devil Dive) Check! And then...it's missing pieces. I really really enjoyed this park, but it's missing something that would place it at the 2 spot for me. The third thing I'd like to point out is they have one of my favorite stand ups in the Georgia Scorcher. Also Great American Scream Machine is a great woody and I love it's location on the water.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv