Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Jokers Jinx Stalls

Jokers Jinx Stalls

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
8/10/14 at
11:14:46 PM

Jokers Jinx at Six Flags America stalled with 24 people aboard. All of the riders were rescued.

www.wtvr.com/2014/08/10/jokers-jinx-stuck-at-six-flags/

* This post was modified at 8/10/14 11:24:29 PM *

Re: Jokers Jinx Stalls by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/11/14 8:38:29 AM
Yeah, I saw that on the news last night.
IIRC this is the same ride as FOF, but outdoors.
Re: Jokers Jinx Stalls by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/11/14 11:55:55 AM
Was at the park yesterday after it stalled. Arrived around 7pm and the copter was still hovering overhead. Everyone was off by 7:30 and the park reopened the Chesapeake section (Apocalypse, Roar, etc) shortly afterward. Gotham City remained closed for the remainder of the night.

I was amazed that we made national news and that they were live streaming the rescue. I received the notification on Facebook that they were stuck and just assumed it was another breakdown (sensor malfunction, etc.) and didn't bother to even read the full story.

Everyone likes to criticize SFA for it's perceived "ghettoness", but the park did everything right yesterday. They handed the stuck people umbrellas, gave families a spot to watch the rescue, provided water and food for both parties, and they all received tickets and tours afterwards for their inconvenience.

If there were any doubters about the way SFA functions in times like these, they should now all be silenced as I think this was the best handled ride evacuation the chain has seen in a long time.

Kudos to my home park, you're setting the bar.

Also, despite the incident, they kept their promise on the two hours of special ERT of the Chesapeake rides last night and even opened up Shipwreck Falls for it.

* This post was modified at 8/11/14 12:01:57 PM *

Re: Jokers Jinx Stalls by leroyk at 8/11/14 6:12:49 PM
Way to go SFA !!!
Re: Jokers Jinx Stalls by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/11/14 11:31:31 PM
Prior to the start of every season, the PG County FD practice evacuations specifically on JJ using water dummies as the victims.

They've done this every season since it was installed in 1999.

Yet, somehow, this kind of stuff never makes the news.

The park specifically uses JJ because of it's complex structure with all the supports and track all twisted together. It's the only launched coaster in the park and quite frankly is any other of SFA's coasters valley, chances are the train will come to a stop near the ground.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Jokers Jinx Stalls by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 8/12/14 9:37:33 PM
Great_Ump said:

Prior to the start of every season, the PG County FD practice evacuations specifically on JJ using water dummies as the victims.

They've done this every season since it was installed in 1999.

Yet, somehow, this kind of stuff never makes the news.

The park specifically uses JJ because of it's complex structure with all the supports and track all twisted together. It's the only launched coaster in the park and quite frankly is any other of SFA's coasters valley, chances are the train will come to a stop near the ground.

Joe
Great_Ump

It makes me wonder how Kings Dominion would get riders down from Flight of Fear. It wouldnt appear to be as easy since it is enclosed in the building.

MarathonRunner

It makes you wonder, how would Kings Dominion get riders down from Flight of Fear. I mean, there must be less room to work with in the building.

MarathonRunner

Re: Jokers Jinx Stalls by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/12/14 11:44:51 PM
MarathonRunner said:
It makes you wonder, how would Kings Dominion get riders down from Flight of Fear. I mean, there must be less room to work with in the building.

There are scaffolds and catwalks inside the drum... not saying it would be easy.

Re: Jokers Jinx Stalls by alpengeistno3 at 8/13/14 12:33:32 AM
As well as buckets in the ceiling that are capable of reaching every part of the track (used for assembly and inspection, but they could just as easily be used for an evacuation.)

Paul

Re: Jokers Jinx Stalls by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/19/14 5:43:44 PM
True story, PKI's was the first to open and they invited all their execs, big wigs, mfg's etc to ride before it opened and this exact thing happened and it happens once in awhile to this day. Both FOF's have a platform with stairs down from the area, That part of the ride used to have a name that I can't think of anymore. Of course both FOF's have block brakes as well soon after that point.

Not sure if the ride always had this but FOF's have a ten rider minimum That I think was added after the removal of the OTSRs as each car was something like 350pds lighter.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Jokers Jinx Stalls by alpengeistno3 at 8/20/14 1:58:19 AM
I remember the 10 rider rule immediately following the restraint change (I believe it was 15 when they still had the shoulder harnesses on. We had to wait a long time between rides in the morning as the popularity of FOF was waning before the switch.) I want to say that KD's FOF has suspended the minimum rider requirement as there were plenty of times I remember being the only one in the queue along with whoever was waiting for the front car in the evenings. Other people walked around, so it is possible they got up to 10 and I didn't notice it.

I know JJ did not have the minimum requirement as I rode it 23 times on a rainy Friday May afternoon as the only rider in the back seat back in 2001.

The extra car on JJ has always seemed to drag down the ride in the 1st three inversions, especially at the bump at the top of the ride. SF claims the ride launches faster at 60 mph vs FOF's 54 but if there is any extra boost, it is not apparent to me.

Paul