Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14)

TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14)

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
8/5/14 at
4:45:31 AM

My mother and left Jax on 7/23/14 to visit some family up in Vicksburg, Mississippi. I spent alot of time with my aunt and cousins there. We stayed in Miss til 7/29/14. I was pretty cool that my Mom and cousin shared a birthday together on the 24th of July. We were glad to see them. Of course me being the ever opportunist, I had to take advance of some coaster opportunities, LOL. I left Vicksburg early in the morning, and made it to Magic Springs' gate at 10:28 AM. Most everything here was a short wait or walk on. On to the bread & butter.

Arkansas Twister: This coaster used to be in my state; Florida Hurricane was it's old name, at the old defunct Boardwalk & Baseball. I think of Celine Dion's "All By Myself" with this coaster, as the waterpark (Crystal Falls) divide it with the rest of the dry attractions, pretty weird layout. I rode twice, near the front and in the back. The coaster is pretty good. I felt some mild floater air on some of the hills. It's more thrilling in the back. In the front seat, the first drop is very mild, but better in the back. I did notice some washboarding from the back, although the coaster rode pretty good.

Wild Thang: A Zamperla Power Surge. I don't know if I've ridden Power Surges so much in the past, and I gotten a lil' jaded, but the ride seemed pretty tame to me. I guess that's what will happen if you have ridden some particular rides long enough.

Diamond Mine Run: I swear that I rode this kiddie coaster by an accident thinking that it was Big Bad John, the big mine train. I realized that it was a kid coaster, then I said oh well, LOL. The ride op had it go through FOUR cycles. I was a pretty good ride, but kinda tight, and I was riding defensively, watching my legs on that final turn. :)

Big Bad John: An kinda 'eh' mine train. I lot of lifthills, and not the much action. I liked the tunnel finale at the end though, which reminded me of Dahlonega at SFOG. I't somewhere between okay and 'eh' if that makes any sense. Diamond Mine Run almost gave it a run for it's money, LOL.

X Coaster: This coaster wait was surprisingly pretty short. I rode it twice in the second row and the back (6th). My favorite part is slowly transversing the skyloop, it's like a 'oh s*@t!!" moment! Especially in the front. POV's doesn't do that moment justice, as you're hanging seemingly forever by your restraint. Flying through the station had that 'Halfpipe-esque' effect. X Coaster is my favorite coaster at the park.

Gauntlet:A Vekoma SLC. I rode near the back. Hillbillygeist rode very well. :) Surprisingly this had the longest wait that I saw at the park, I mean the queue was packed pretty good; I'm like this is preferred over X Coaster, really? There's a section of track just before the sidewinder inversion that's right by the station, and it kinda looks like a psuedo-station-fly-by.

Magic Springs pro- The park has very conveniently placed 'Cool zones' with the misters above the covered seating areas. Boy did I use them. More parks should follow MS's lead with that.

Magic Springs con- The loading time all the rides at this park is extremely SLOW. Most parks, the passengers unload, and the people behind the gates load right afterwards; Not Magic Springs, everyone has the leave the exit platform area with the gate closed before the next riders board the ride, very time wasting if you ask me.

I went the head off to Branson, MO
I arrived at Branson at around 6:00 PM or so, so I got a room at the Windsor Inn on the 'strip' if you wanna call it that. :)

Before getting to Silver Dollar City in the morning, I noticed the SBNO Ozark Wildcat at old Celebration City :( Hopefully someone will get that coaster, and it doesn't just continue to sit and rot there.

I got to SDC's entrance at 10:33. I got a little lost early, and spent some lost time in a kiddie/flat ride enclave (The Grand Exposition) when I wanted to ride the big coasters. Someone got me on track though. I not the biggest fan of SDC's maps. I'm not exactly expecting a newspaper (The Pathfinder) featuring every attraction in all of Southern Missouri, when I just need a simple normal map. The park was pretty crowded, but queue lines weren't too bad. Being a single rider, SDC likes to pair up lone riders, on most coasters, so sometimes, I really didn't have much a choice were to sit, which was fine with me. On to the Show-Me-State rides.

Wildfire: I rode somewhere in the middle. It had a pretty good first drop. The inversions were just like 'typical B&M looper'. Although I really love that rustic color of the track that goes very well with the scenery.

Powder Keg: I was very unaware of Powder Keg's 'diagonal short elevator pre-launch' thingy; It's very weird and quirky. The launch was pretty good. The rest, I was just kinda 'eh', esp after riding the insane Outlaw Run. So what I got from PK is a weird slide elevator lift, okay launch, uneventful curves, a freaking lift hill of all things, and a dry splash. My least favorite at SDC.

Fire In The Hole: I had a very awkward moment on this coaster. A family with a young son (looked about 5 or so) was concerned on with the coaster is mild enough. I always compared this one to the sister enclosed coaster in Dollywood, Blazing Fury, which is very tame; So me and even the ride op reassured that the coaster would be okay for the young one. We got on this thing, and it was mild just like Blazing Fury at first, then it starting dropping, like three times, and it was more thrilling than I expected. I later learned that it has a 20ft drop, which is pretty thrilling in the dark, esp for a kid. The family got off, and the boy was kinda upset, and I said "It was more thrilling than I thought it was gonna be" and the daddy annoyingly said "Yeah..." Talk about an awkward moment...It's deceivingly thrilling, way more eventful than Blazing Fury.

Thunderation: This coaster was kinda hard for me to find, because I rode it last at the park, and it's kinda by itself (amongst other coasters). I rode near the front, and in the back. Loved it! loved it! loved it! This coaster has my favorite drop outta the station on any coaster so far, and I love the two old school K-wood coasters. It's easily my favorite mine train right now. Helices, a good tunnel, great momentum and speed, only one lift hill(with a pretty good drop afterwards). You can't ask for much more from a mine train. Not too many family coasters goes 48MPH, it's more of a thrill coaster if you ask me.

Outlaw Run: I rode this bad boy first at the park. I rode it twice, near the front, and the middle. Like Thunderation, Loved it! loved it! love it! Awesome coaster. Excellent first drop, awesome some disorienting first inversion (although it felt more like a special track section, not complaining, loved it. :) crazy curves, and the great negative-G moments. The airtime hump before the double heartline roll is insane, then that awesome heartline roll, coaster ecstasy. :) The boss at TPR described Outlaw Run as 'The Batman of wooden coasters'. That's a pretty good description, short and sweet. I didn't think about the length, because it was so thrilling. My #3 coaster overall.

SDC pros- The park is very well themed, and it's nice shaded throughout, just like Dollywood. The transportation system with the buses and trams is excellent.

SDC cons- Not enough directional signage pointing out the attractions in the park, which is pretty labyrinth-ish. Poor parking lot signage (if any) which can be kinda confusing to know where you're parked at.

Finally, I'm done with done with all of these TR's, and my unreliable outdated computer LOL. I hope that yall have enjoyed. :)

* This post was modified at 8/5/14 5:23:06 AM *

Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/5/14 7:12:30 AM
At least you made it to Grand Exposition. I never found it. I knew I'd have trouble navigating the park due to my weight/leg issues vis-a-vis the mountainous terrain. But I also had trouble navigating the layout and finding things. I too had a tough time finding Thunderation, and did only after asking several employees. Powder Keg was closed on my visit.

Thanks for sharing all these reports, Chris. Fun reads!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 8/5/14 11:56:20 AM
Nice report!

Overbanked said:

Before getting to Silver Dollar City in the morning, I noticed the SBNO Ozark Wildcat at old Celebration City :( Hopefully someone will get that coaster, and it doesn't just continue to sit and rot there.

I hope so too! I would love for SDC themselves to save it and move it up the mountain, as it rivals Powder Keg for my fave coaster in Branson! It was also my first GCI coaster.

Being a single rider, SDC likes to pair up lone riders, on most coasters, so sometimes, I really didn't have much a choice were to sit, which was fine with me.

It is very disapointing to read this. I wonder if this is something new they are doing this year. I've been there during their Christmas event nearly every year since 2005, (missing only 2008), and never had that problem.

They always seemed so friendly and hospitable on my visits; so I am guessing/hoping that if you had politely but firmly said "No thanks, I really want the front/back", they would have backed down.

Like the last time I was at IOA, after getting the row I wanted, they then tried to pair me up with a stanger on Hippogriff by assigning someone else to the same row with me, despite my being a grown adult and the small row not having a seat divider. I just politely told the op I would be riding alone as the seat was too small for me to comfortably ride with a stranger, and they backed down.

Powder Keg: I was very unaware of Powder Keg's 'diagonal short elevator pre-launch' thingy; It's very weird and quirky. The launch was pretty good. The rest, I was just kinda 'eh', esp after riding the insane Outlaw Run. So what I got from PK is a weird slide elevator lift, okay launch, uneventful curves, a freaking lift hill of all things, and a dry splash. My least favorite at SDC.

I noticed you didn't mention airtime; so I am wondering if you got stapled. Unstapled, this is in my steel Top 10 (ahead of even some hypers!) because of the amazing airtime I get on it. I get air on every camelback in both the front and back seats! As for the lift hill, this is a necessity like Thunderation, due to the uneven terrain the ride is built on, to take you back up to where the station is. But the drop after the lift has sweet air too!

For my tastes, stapling makes a HUGE difference; I've always been stapled on Outlaw Run, get ZERO air on it, and don't care much for it.

Did you ride their S&S Screamin' Swing? This also gives fantastic air!

If you ever make it back to the park, I strongly recommend trying Wildfire in the back row, as the rare straight first drop gives the best airtime I've ever gotten on a Beemer multilooper (almost Beemer hyper caliber).

Also, while the sets and scenery are similar but different, the ride profile of Fire in the Hole is exactly the same as Blazing Fury. (Blazing Fury has the same drops at the end).

* This post was modified at 8/5/14 12:35:05 PM *

"If it isn't wood, it's not as good!"
Favorite wood and overall favorite - Voyage, Holiday World. Favorite steel - Nitro, Great Adventure
"Voyage To Paradise" - http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/profiles/frontrider/blog/340
Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 8/5/14 12:25:25 PM
Sorry for the accidental double post - please delete

* This post was modified at 8/5/14 12:29:14 PM *

"If it isn't wood, it's not as good!"
Favorite wood and overall favorite - Voyage, Holiday World. Favorite steel - Nitro, Great Adventure
"Voyage To Paradise" - http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/profiles/frontrider/blog/340
Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/5/14 1:00:57 PM
I didn't do a ton of riding, but no one hassled me about riding solo. I was never steered to a seat I didn't want either.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/5/14 2:15:33 PM
Another enjoyable read. I've never been to Magic Springs, but its high on my list. The reason is for Arkansas Twister. I remember as young child visiting Circus World in Florida. I was marveled by that coaster. I was too short to ride, but I can remember it like it was yesterday, watching the train navigate the track.

I visited SDC for the first time last September. I loved Outlaw Run, my 2nd favorite wooden coaster. El Toro is the only wooden coaster I like more. I was there on a very uncrowded day. I got 15 rides on Outlaw Run. I rode Powder Keg 4 times. My first ride was is the back, and I wasn't really impressed. My next 3 rides were in the front seat, and I really liked it. Wildfire has the most amazing view on any coaster. It was my 300th coaster. I liked the visuals of the front, but the back was the best ride. Overall I really liked SDC. I also had trouble finding Fire in The Hole, and it took a few laps around the park to figure it out. Their Flooded Mine was a pretty good dark ride. Thunderation is probably the best Mine Ride in the country. I really hope to make it back to SDC soon. I was there by myself. I would love to take my kids there. Just one question; did you reach your 250th coaster on that trip?

Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/5/14 9:46:20 PM
Frontrider said:

Did you ride their S&S Screamin' Swing? This also gives fantastic air!

If you ever make it back to the park, I strongly recommend trying Wildfire in the back row, as the rare straight first drop gives the best airtime I've ever gotten on a Beemer multilooper (almost Beemer hyper caliber).

Also, while the sets and scenery are similar but different, the ride profile of Fire in the Hole is exactly the same as Blazing Fury. (Blazing Fury has the same drops at the end).

I didn't ride the Giant Barn Swing, I rode similar S&S Screaming Swings before. I probably still should have ridden it.

Fire in the Hole and Blazing Fury are very similar, but they aren't exact facsimiles. For instance FITH big drop is 20 ft, and BF's is 16, and that don't have the same track length. I'm not saying that they are remarkably different (stat-wise) though.

I don't know what it is, but I remember getting of Blazing Fury, and I was like 'eh'; Fast forward to SDC's version, Fire in the Hole, and I was expecting a copy and got off surprised on how thrilling it was compared to Blazing Fury. Maybe they greased it up or something, LOL.

Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/5/14 9:51:33 PM
frontrow said:

Just one question; did you reach your 250th coaster on that trip?

Thunderation, the last ride of the day at SDC is my 239th. I religiously keep my favorite coaster info updated on my screenname link.

I'm very impressed with your count. I've only ridden nine of the twenty coasters on your top ten steel/wood. Boy, I still have alot of riding to do. :)

* This post was modified at 8/5/14 10:13:27 PM *

Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/5/14 10:02:59 PM
beastmaster said:

At least you made it to Grand Exposition. I never found it. I knew I'd have trouble navigating the park due to my weight/leg issues vis-a-vis the mountainous terrain.Mike

Yeah, that terrain ain't no joke. It's pretty brutal at Magic Springs also; Their SLC 'Gauntlet' is located in the lowest terrain of the park.

I love going downhill, LOL. I actually run downhill, and virtually don't expend any energy; Some people look at me like I'm crazy, but I can't help it, as I just let my legs walk out to the flow of the terrain. Now me going uphill, I'm generally at a snail's pace, with plenty of bench breaks. :)

* This post was modified at 8/5/14 10:07:13 PM *

Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/6/14 1:26:36 AM
Overbanked said:

frontrow said:

Just one question; did you reach your 250th coaster on that trip?

Thunderation, the last ride of the day at SDC is my 239th. I religiously keep my favorite coaster info updated on my screenname link.

I'm very impressed with your count. I've only ridden nine of the twenty coasters on your top ten steel/wood. Boy, I still have alot of riding to do. :)

I had ridden a little more than 200 coasters, when my kids took interest in the hobby in 2010. I started to get them to as many parks as possible. In 2011 I reached 250. Last year I reached 300. About 4 weeks ago I rode my 350th. Being that I was trying to get my kids on as many coasters as possible, I started visiting park that I never have. I still haven't been to California. My daughter is now only 3 shy of 300, and my son is at 256. If I can afford it, I would like to do a trip back out to Six Flags Great America. I dying to ride Goliath and during our 2012 visit the park was really busy. There are 5 coasters there now that the kids didn't get to ride. I visited the park in 2001, so the only 2 coasters at the park that I haven't ridden is Goliath and Little Dipper. If I can't afford that trip, then we will head down to Six Flags America, which is closer, and can be done without an overnight stay. Haven't ridden Ragin Cajun, and they have new flying scooters, which are my favorite type of flat ride.

Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 8/6/14 12:54:39 PM

I hope so too! I would love for SDC themselves to save it and move it up the mountain, as it rivals Powder Keg for my fave coaster in Branson! It was also my first GCI coaster.

It would never work at SDC or most other locations. Wildcat is built on a nearly completely flat piece of ground- something that pretty much doesn't exist otherwise in the area and certainly doesn't exist at SDC. To make it work there would require huge costs in land clearing and leveling which won't happen. Hate seeing it there, but not sure there really are any other options for it at this point.

Being a single rider, SDC likes to pair up lone riders, on most coasters, so sometimes, I really didn't have much a choice were to sit, which was fine with me.

You said you there there on a busy day. I'm guessing they were just trying to fill in empty seats. They may ask for single riders to fill those seats, but you aren't required to take them. You can always wait and request where you'd like to sit.

As mentioned above, I'm guessing you got stapled a bit. Powderkeg has some great pops of airtime on it, but they do try to secure you well on it as well. It's to bad as it's a great little ride.

I noticed there wasn't any mention of the train. While you were there on a Sunday, my day off, you should have taken a ride on the train. Not only is a fun ride with the robbery, but it gives you some great views of powerderkeg and especially Outlaw Run. It's absolutely worth the ride.

Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/6/14 9:59:20 PM
^^^I see what yall mean by 'stapled' (like Frontrider said earlier) it's means getting hunkered down between the seat, and being unable to catch airtime. You hit the nail on the head, that's what happened to me on Powder Keg. I'm learning a new coaster phrase everyday. :)
Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/11/14 10:46:59 AM
Thanks so much for sharing!

I remember in my more obsessed days I tracked powder keg being made and it looks really really cool. It sounds like I'd be disappointed from your take though.

Nice TR!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: TR: Magic Springs (7/26/14) & Silver Dollar City (7/27/14) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/11/14 10:35:11 PM
I was 'stapled' on Powder Keg, which killed off the airtime. You might not get stapled on PK and have a better experience than I had. I gotta shed off a couple of LBS. :)