Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 25 yrs wedding anniversary across america rollercoaster trip

25 yrs wedding anniversary across america rollercoaster trip

wainsworld

Posted:
8/2/14 at
12:34:32 PM

hi me and my wife are planning an across America roadtrip in a camper van, doing as many theme parks as possible along the way.i am in the planning stages and would love any ideas on parks that we should do as we go across America?

Re: 25 yrs wedding anniversary across america rollercoaster trip by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/2/14 12:46:36 PM
Where are you starting from and where do you intend to end up? If you will be in the midwest and northeast, I would suggest SfStL, HW in Indiana, KI in Cincinnati, then head north to CP and Waldemeer, or southeast to Dollywood, Carowinds, KD and BGW.
Re: 25 yrs wedding anniversary across america rollercoaster trip by wainsworld at 8/2/14 2:35:50 PM
to be honest we will have a month maybe 2 and want to do as many as possible ending in florida,
so starting suggestions and any help would be great
thanks wain
Re: 25 yrs wedding anniversary across america rollercoaster trip by houstondavid houstondavid Profile at 8/2/14 5:36:24 PM
Wow, a month or two? As many theme parks as possible? And both of you involved in the anniversary actually like theme parks? Sounds like a dream...

Might suggest starting with the URC Theme Park Map accessible from the home page. Map out a general route from wherever you live and ending in Florida and then see what is along the way. Of course, what you pick will largely depend on what you like.

I haven't been to very many parks. But no coaster trip would be complete without a stop at Cedar Point. And Kings Island and Canada's Wonderland are only 3 and 5 hours away, respectively, and both well worth a stop. New York has Great Escape and Darien Lake. New England has Santa's Village, Story Land, Canobie Lake, and SF New England. Pennsylvania has a wealth of great parks, including (but not limited to) Kennywood, Hershey, Knoebel's, and Dorney. As you are heading down to Florida, you will be going by SF Great Adventure, SF America, King's Dominion, Busch Gardens, Carowinds, and Dollywood. Of course, Florida is home to many as well. And I have only listed the major parks. There are literally dozens of smaller gems scattered along that route.

Seems you need to pick a few must-see places and let that define your route. And then I'm sure the contributors on this forum would be happy to help you fill in some of the space between them.

Best wishes!
David

Re: 25 yrs wedding anniversary across america rollercoaster trip by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/2/14 10:58:58 PM
Be sure to hit BGT in Tampa, and while en route to Fla, stop at Wild Adventures in Valdosta GA. SFOG east of Atlanta may also be worth a visit. Then of course there's Orlando. Have fun! And congrats on your landmark anniversary!
Re: 25 yrs wedding anniversary across america rollercoaster trip by wainsworld at 8/3/14 2:59:03 AM
hi there thanks for the tips, we live in the England UK. So don't have a start point as of yet so looks like I'll check out the map and see where's best to start to get as many parks and rides in as possible.As for what we want to do all of the park BIG rides,small rides, kids rides and shows as much as I can cram in before moving to the next one lol.
Honeymoon was in orlando so just want to end the trip back where it started looking for as much fun inbetween.

So thanks for info time to get plotting my route

Wain and Rachel

Re: 25 yrs wedding anniversary across america rollercoaster trip by houstondavid houstondavid Profile at 8/3/14 7:44:01 AM
Ah, that helps.

How about as a starting point, plan on flying into Florida, heading west to Texas, then north through Missouri and to the Great Lakes, working your way east through Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, New York, and Ontario, then working south through Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, the Carolina's, Tennessee, Georgia, and back to Florida. With a general loop like that, you could start putting together a list of parks along the route, and I bet it would be pretty impressive.

While California has some great parks, getting to them adds a lot of driving. And other than maybe X2 at Magic Mountain, I'm not sure that they have anything that is totally unique. My disclaimer is that I haven't been to any of the west coast parks since the 80's, so hopefully some more experienced theme park travelers will correct me if I'm way off.

Oh, another consideration is the time of year. The northern parks (including must-see's like Cedar Point) are all seasonal and will only operate on weekends through spring and fall, and closed during the winter. So this is a late June-July-August trip. Should plan on hitting the big parks on weekdays or buying a line-cutting pass.

It is fun to think about such a trip. Pretty certain I'll never take such a trip in the US. But would love to do an ACE European tour some day.

David

Re: 25 yrs wedding anniversary across america rollercoaster trip by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/3/14 9:48:19 PM
What month or two are you planning this trip for?

That detail is very important if you're seeking advice from us.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator