Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags Great Adventure tr

Six Flags Great Adventure tr

Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile

Posted:
7/31/14 at
7:42:51 PM

Went on Tuesday and short story: day started off as a 1 flag day, but ended being a 6 flags day. warning, long post.

Basically: started off with a pita long walk from the drop off spot to the front. It's one thing about the long walk, but the place was friggin isolated with no signs or whatever. Disney, at least they allow drivers to go near the gate to drop ppl off, is it that hard to be a little closer? Then when i get there, the season pass is in the form of a receipt and i have to go further into the park to get it processed for a plastic card. The place to process it was barely cool and a little warm with just fans blowing. At least have the processing center located near the gates instead of going into the park. Anyway, it was almost noon and i figured it was a lost cause for kingda ka.

I headed for Superman and waited a total of 45min because by 12p they finally loaded the 2nd train and cycled both of them without riders adding to the wait. But at least the payoff was I got a front row seat. Next tried to see how GL was doing, but line was at the '45min' mark so i skipped it and went over to see Ka's line (90min), so another skip.

By now it looked bleak, but then i headed over to jaro with nothing to lose. via the single rider line i ended up waiting well under 20-30min and the lines wasn't as long as i expected. Going up, was just insane, then the drop. I yelled out when going down. (i've done a 300' drop (at KD), but not another 115' on top of it (or double the tower of terror drop). I was a little woozy from it and needed to take a breather.

Headed over to El toro only to find the entrance blocked. The attendant didn't know how long it would be blocked, but since i waited 6yrs to ride toro, i figure what's another hour. I lucked out when he unchained the line after a few min and went for the back row. I think i went for that row too soon and was totally unprepared for the insane ejector/air time. Next ride was more in the middle, but the 3rd I figured could be my last and tried the last row again being more prepared and totally enjoyed it. Though those hand choppers still gets me ducking my arms down, but i still kept my arms up for the whole ride.

Crossed the bridge for Medusa, er Bizzaro and to my joy, the line was short and there's no annoying speakers in the seats and i can enjoy having 4 seats in the back row. In the end i got a back, middle and then front row ride. As for floorless coasters, i think i can now say bizzaro is probably #1 because of the 'hand chopper' props and the flame thrower (mist sprays were off). Dominator is still my fav because i like the 'pacing' of it more. bizzaro is good, but it packs too much too soon imo.

I headed over to the runaway train and it was nice, the lake portion was nice and overall the ride was not a snoozer at least. Next walked over for the parachute drop (which was a breeze compared to jaro and i picked the side overlooking Sups and GL).

I then went for GL and found the single rider line, which was just a staircase branched off from the main line. I guess with all that empty space, they couldn't be bothered to make a separate single rider line.. what pissed me off was how a group of 4 adults used that line and then cut in to the regular line in the station because they wanted to stick together. I hope there were cameras there... As for the ride itself: just awful. I ended up in the full standing position and when the ride hit the inversions, i got massive cramping in my legs from all the force rushing down to my calf and knee. I would've been better off slouching and getting all the force to the 'bicycle seat'. I tollerated shockwave (KD), but after that GL ride, i would rather it be converted to another floorless coaster. That and with 7 rows, capacity sucks.

At this point in pain, i decided to take it easy till i healed up. Went to Houdini's escape and that was a pretty fun ride. I then walked over for the blackbeard train and for a 'kids ride' and the seat being so cramped that i had to keep my legs folded, the ride was causing me to hang on or get tossed from side to side. Went to the swashbuckler ride, which spins really fast and keeping me pushed up against the walls with just a chain in the front to keep me in.

Next went for skyscream and liked it a lot, much better than the windseekers the CF chain has. I liked how the ride op was 'threatening' to end the ride early unless she heard more ppl screaming. Then went for skull mountain, which was decent for a junior coaster.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure tr by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/31/14 7:45:55 PM
I finally made my way to nitro and this ironically ended up being one of my longer waits because Batman wasn't running and probably those riders flocked over to Nitro. after 1 ride, i got off and went for batman as that started running while i was on the nitro line. Batman is still very forceful, even to me. I do like how much it packs in a small spot, but this is why the custom built inverts like at the BG parks are better: they space the elements out so you aren't bombarded one after another with a chance to breathe. So that was a 1 and done ride as the line started growing again.

I headed over to DK and as much as i trashed it, I softened my opinion of it and wonder if they changed some of the props. I didn't remember manequins with a laser gun or the truck sound before. Maybe they did make changes or i just blocked DK out of my memory and forgot.

I then went back to nitro and the entrance was blocked, but i waited and was rewarded as the attendant drops the chain to let us in and it was a very short wait. Now i know there's an issue about train c being 'rougher'. I unfortunately ended up getting this very train for 3 different rides till i finally got a different train (B), A was in the shed. Overall other than some rattles, i didn't feel much difference bw the trains. Oh and the night ride on nitro was friggin awesome. If the run thru the woods was fun, at night, it is even better!

Went back for a night ride on skyscreamer, and then took the skyride to the el toro side of the park. I finished off the night with 3 rides. the last was a reride (didn't need to get out of the station), that was allowed as it was the last train of the night and ppl can stay if the waiting row was empty (fortunately for me the riders ahead of me left and i took the row in front of me, i was sitting in the last row and wasn't going to get off if i can score another ride.)

So pretty much i added a few more coaster creds and rode most of the new additions. My only loss was not getting a ride on kingda ka, but that i can ride another time.

Photos, might be added later, but at least i have the tr posted within the week for a change.

* This post was modified at 7/31/14 7:52:51 PM *

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure tr by yankeefan0809 at 8/1/14 6:04:12 AM
The bumpy/rough C train ride is really starting to get a reputation. My sister and I noticed it last season and, in typical Six Flags fashion, it was not fixed for this season. I'd like to know the reason behind it because, to me, the difference between trains A and C are like night and day.

I live about 45 minutes from the park so needless to say, I'm there all the time. What do you think about the park's lineup? I'm kinda getting burnt out on the predominantly B&M lineup, myself. I'm a self proclaimed Intamin fanboy and I'd kill to see a LSM launched coaster put in (something like Maverick or Cheetah Hunt). Also, since they removed Rolling Thunder last season, sadly, I really think they need a moderate wooden coaster - maybe something built by GCI. Then again, if they announced a record breaking RMC coaster tomorrow, I'd be ecstatic too. There just is too big of a jump between Runaway Train and the next level of roller coasters, especially in the eyes of a kid. And a few coasters are in serious need of a paint job or a retheming (Nitro comes to mind there). Just my $0.02 about the current state of affairs there.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure tr by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/1/14 11:41:25 AM
Well I rode train c from the back row, and honestly didn't think the ride was as bad as i was expecting. I like the B&M line up, but batman, superman and GL are all rides i wouldn't miss if they were removed. I don't like the standups and the clones aren't that great compared to the custom built counterparts at other parks like at BG/SW.

With all the issues with Intamin (reprofile I305's first turn, skyrush being too intense to the point they had to slow down the lift hill, furious baco's harness snapping....), good luck on getting anyone willing to take a chance with them again lol. But I dunno if the park would want or need another intamin launched train if they have kingda ka, what they need is to get KK running at the same time jaro runs instead of running when the other ride doesn't run. Cheetah hunt was ok, but I think it could've been better if it was a hyper coaster as that single hill after the last launch was great.

I do think the park could use something like Hershey's lightning racer, a paired racing wood coaster from GCI. Put that on the batman side of the park so it won't be overshadowed by el toro. RT's death knell was having El toro sit next to it. Of course people would rather ride the new and more intense wood coaster especially with RT barely getting any basic fixes. I haven't rode a RMC, but I don't think they need to go that direction since El toro has prefabricated tracks and if they maintain the wood coaster constantly, i don't see why they can't have a gci wood coaster around.
Nirto needs a clean up especially at the station building under the sign and a repaint. If the park needs to give up a new ride and use that money to fix up all the rides in the park, I can live with that. It's a shame they treat nitro (one of their major attractions) the way they do.

* This post was modified at 8/1/14 11:54:43 AM *

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure tr by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/1/14 12:09:07 PM
Nice TR. We were just at SF Great Adventure about 3 weeks ago. It sounds like you found an uncrowded day also. Toro is running great this year. It's my favorite coaster, wood or steel. It sounds like you rode a lot. We ended up with 6 rides on Toro, 4 on Bizarro, 3 on Nitro, 2 on Kingda Ka, and 1 each on Green Lantern, Blackbeards, and Mine Train. We could have ridden more, but I decided to leave the park at 6:30 and drive 6 hours home, instead of spending another night in a hotel. We meant to ride Skull Mountain and Batman, but kind of forgot about it. We also wanted to ride the sky ride, so I could shoot a video, but the line was long all day. Too bad you didn't get on Kingda Ka. The wait timed have increased because of that drop tower. I try to get to Great Adventure every year. Hopefully next year the newness of the drop tower will wear off and we can ride it next year, without waiting a long time for it.
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure tr by ktujon ktujon Profile at 8/1/14 12:37:36 PM
From what I heard and actually rode last Friday, Nitro's C-train has been fixed. The A-train would be next up for fixing.
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure tr by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/1/14 2:53:19 PM
Good to know.^ Because other than a minor rattling, the train didn't feel that bad compared to train B which i got for my last ride.

frontrow said:

Nice TR. We were just at SF Great Adventure about 3 weeks ago. It sounds like you found an uncrowded day also. Toro is running great this year. It's my favorite coaster, wood or steel. It sounds like you rode a lot. We ended up with 6 rides on Toro, 4 on Bizarro, 3 on Nitro, 2 on Kingda Ka, and 1 each on Green Lantern, Blackbeards, and Mine Train. We could have ridden more, but I decided to leave the park at 6:30 and drive 6 hours home, instead of spending another night in a hotel. We meant to ride Skull Mountain and Batman, but kind of forgot about it. We also wanted to ride the sky ride, so I could shoot a video, but the line was long all day. Too bad you didn't get on Kingda Ka. The wait timed have increased because of that drop tower. I try to get to Great Adventure every year. Hopefully next year the newness of the drop tower will wear off and we can ride it next year, without waiting a long time for it.

Thanks! It seems like you did quite well yourself too. I don't know if i'd be able to do 2 rides on Ka until they can work it out on running it while jaro is running.

I was fortunate that I got to go on a weekday and despite the late arrival (11am) and the time to process the pass, my day really started around 12pm. So by then I knew it was a lost cause to bother with Ka. Technically i could've tried Ka with 90m, but then with Jaro, I wasn't sure how long that 90m mark really meant (probably could be even double that and much as i'd want that rush, it's not worth that long a wait for 1 ride). I'll try again in september as then I'll be able to get thru the traffic sooner and don't need to waste time processing a pass.

Oh yeah, toro was the main coaster I've been looking forward to riding. I missed it in 2008 because something about a lightning strike and it was closed the day i went. I was disappointed i didn't get to ride it then. But now after years of getting used to a bunch of other coasters, I think i could really appreciate el toro more and it was worth the wait. The night ride, i was actually debating waiting for Ka or Jaro, but since i got 3 rides on toro, i'm very happy with that call and getting to ride it at night till closing time.

Skull mt was still pretty fun and Batman, still a bit rough as i remember from my last visit in 2008. batman, if that line is over 30min, I'd skip it. It maybe an invert, but it's not the type i'd want to wait long to ride. I guess i'm spoiled with montu, but that one is not only better, but i never had to wait that long for it.
The skyride was always a long wait in the day. I only rode it at night because i needed to get from skyscreamer to el toro quickly and to save up some energy from having to walk the length of the park. the drop tower was actually a decent wait for me that day at under 30m. If the line isn't too long, you can still go for it. Single rider line was also moving at a good clip as well.

* This post was modified at 8/1/14 3:08:27 PM *