Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Best Membership for The Price

The Best Membership for The Price

Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile

Posted:
7/30/14 at
12:13:35 AM

Okay, I've been away from the coaster community for a few years offline. I had an ACE Membership that I had purchased for a year and decided the 4 nice quarterly magazines were nice but not $60. I felt like all of the stuff ACE did was a little more on the end of what I was looking to spend trip wise, and if I was doing an ACE trip, there are a lot of other things I could use that money on.

So I only had an ACE membership that I felt like I got nothing out of but 4 magazines.

I left the workforce full time in 2009 and went back to just doing baseball games. I haven't had the income to even get season passes.

But I've graduated college, two months in to a new career and they've told me at 45 days that I'm not getting a 90. I haven't umpired a game in 13.5 months and that was an 18 year career. Umpiring was in my life since 1993, I started posting here in 1997, very hard to walk away from, and stay away from. No longer a fall back option.

So I have a little more of a spendable income and I'm going to be at HWN 2015 hell or high water.

The only HWN I went to was a year in doing baseball full time and the year I had the ACE membership. Drove, hit King's Island in both directions, hotels four nights, the event itself, and gas, and did it for under $700.

I'm more interested in knowing about the larger more regional and not worldwide groups.

I'm at 177 and I'm determined to be at 200 by 40. I'm 33 going on 34 in six weeks. Going to Knoebel's for the first time NOT during PPP (Aug 9) to get at least 178 on Flying Turns and maybe 179 on Black Diamond (is it gravity or electric?)

I'd like to join a group that would get invited to regional media days.

I will NOT be a TPR member. Personal drama between me and Robb, doesn't need to be aired out here.

I live in Central Maryland, 30 mins from SFA, 2 hours from KD, 2.5 from BGW, 1.5 hours from Hershey, 2 hours to Dorney, 3 hours to SFGAdv, 4 to NYC region.

Who are some clubs/groups I might be interested in? ACE would be good again but membership compared to most is pretty steep.

Thanks!!

Joe
(still)Great_Ump

(and GR8_Ump, Grump, and the guy that farted and ended a URC friendship!)

Re: The Best Membership for The Price by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/30/14 12:46:49 AM
Coaster Zombies and Great Ohio Coaster Club are some of the cheaper enthusiast organizations. I'm a member of ACE. I visit enough parks during the season that the membership pays for itself, through discount park admissions and discounts to Motel 6. I actually don't attend ACE events. Years ago, it used to be very cheap to attend an event. Now it more expensive o visit a park during an event, than it would be if you went on a normal operating day. ACE members usually attend events as a social function. I usually meet members of URC at parks during the year, so the social aspect of ACE really doesn't appeal to me. I'm a member for economical reasons.
Re: The Best Membership for The Price by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/30/14 7:24:40 AM
Seconds on Great Ohio Coaster Club. Individual membership is $20 per year and you get a nice glossy magazine, or you can opt for the online only magazine and I think it's only $15. Also you get discounts to HW and DW, though that's not why anyone joins... it's mainly for the event invites. I'm not sure how much coverage there would be for northeast events though. Western PA is about as far as they reach, though there are now I think nearly a thousand members.

Here I thought I was the only one on URC who had never been to Knoebels!

Re: The Best Membership for The Price by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/30/14 12:09:24 PM
RobLec said:

Here I thought I was the only one on URC who had never been to Knoebels!

What I read it as, he's been to Knoebels since the two coasters he mentioned getting did not include Phoenix and Twister. I assume he's got those, because if a member of this board goes to Knoebels and willingly skips those rides, well, there's something wrong there.

Joe, don't forget Kozmo's Kurves, the junior steel. Not as much of a blast as its predecessor, the High Speed Thrill Coaster, but worth a lap by all means!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: The Best Membership for The Price by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/31/14 11:41:06 AM
ACE now offers an associate membership which is only $35. Still more than the others but it gets you all the same benefits minus the quarterly magazine.

Coaster Zombies seems like a good organization too.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my first year with ACE. Some events have been worth it more than others but between that and joining these forums, I've made lots of new friends to help with those days when I don't want to traverse a park by myself. Some days I care more about hanging out with people than trying to get in as many rides as I can. PRobably not economical, but there is only so much fun that can be had going weeeeee by yourself.

Also, don't feel bad. I have not been to Knoebels either, nor any of the other classic PA parks. I'm hitting Lakemont for the first time later this year.

* This post was modified at 7/31/14 11:42:44 AM *

Re: The Best Membership for The Price by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/31/14 3:58:42 PM
beastmaster said:

What I read it as, he's been to Knoebels since the two coasters he mentioned getting did not include Phoenix and Twister.

Got it.
I went back and reread and see what he said was "first time NOT during PPP". Still, it did bring some others out of the woodwork ;)

Re: The Best Membership for The Price by Coaster316 at 7/31/14 4:30:06 PM
Coaster Zombies has suspended operations for the time being. Info below.

Coaster Zombies Suspends Operations

Re: The Best Membership for The Price by NotSo NotSo Profile at 7/31/14 9:27:40 PM
Personal drama, wow, lol!!
Re: The Best Membership for The Price by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/3/14 7:57:12 PM
I'm a very long time friend with Sam. I'm well aware of CZ and the goings on.

Thanks for the suggestions, I might just pony up the bucks for ACE and not worry about it. I spend more on fantasy football...

Joe
Great_Ump