Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Seabreeze Amusement Park (7/19/14)

TR: Seabreeze Amusement Park (7/19/14)

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
7/21/14 at
10:57:38 AM

Place: Seabreeze Amusement Park (Rochester, NY)
Date: Saturday July 19, 2014
Weather: Sun, clouds and then rain. Highs around 78.
Crowd Level: High
Closed Rides: Screamin’ Eagle (was open early, then shut down)
Time Spent at Park: 10:30 am-5:00 pm

Yes, it’s time again for Ray P. to sing the praises of Seabreeze. If you want to read a negative Trip Report, you’re going to have to look elsewhere because this one is going to be overflowing with positivity. Seabreeze is quite possibly the perfect family-oriented amusement park. Sure, that dark ride and ferris wheel that we have suggested for several years now still haven’t been built (insert winky face here), but when you take a look at everything this small gem on the shores of Lake Ontario has to offer, it’s really one of the best small parks around. As is usual with my visits to Seabreeze, I met up with Jeff M. for a day of fun. Here’s a look at what we did during our time at the park.

First stop was the Bobsleds, Seabreeze’s in-house steel-tracked, wood-framed coaster that park owner George Long was inspired to build after riding Disneyland’s Matterhorn Bobsleds. Each car can theoretically hold 4 passengers, however most riders sit one in the front and one in the rear of the car, making the Bobsleds a very low-capacity ride. The ride itself is an absolute blast as it features several small drops, a few pops of air, and a neat downward helix finale. There really is no other ride quite like it and like everything else at Seabreeze, you can tell the owners are proud of this quirky little ride.

Seabreeze’s Music Express was next up and all I have to say about it is that it is THE best run Music Express ride I have been on. Unlike Waldameer’s Bertazzon Music Express that runs full speed both forwards and backwards, Seabreeze’s starts out going backwards while a song plays. The backwards portion doesn’t go full speed (I’d say about 75% of what it is capable of) or last very long as the song changes for the ride to go forwards. About ½ way through the forwards cycle, the song changes again and the ride kicks into high gear as riders get flung around at top speed. I’m not sure what it is, but I just enjoy the way the ride is run. Jeff said it’s like the ride is “telling a story”. Maybe that’s what it is! Nonetheless, Music Express was awesome as usual.

Speaking of awesome, it doesn’t get any more awesome than the Seabreeze Carousel. Knoebels and other parks do have nice Carousels and all, but when you look at the insane amount of work that went into this amazing machine, you can’t help but appreciate what the Long family did with building this relatively new Carousel. The park keeps the ride in beautiful condition and the band organ that accompanies the ride has never sounded better. We rode the Carousel 4 times during our visit… and every time it seemed that all was right in the world.

The oldest continually operating wooden coaster in the country calls Seabreeze home in the form of Jack Rabbit. Even though I am still not a fan of the Morgan trains on this classic coaster, I cannot say anything else bad about this ride. The ride runs very smooth, has a few minor pops of airtime, is exceptionally fun, and has a great tunneled finale with a drop into darkness. We rode Jack Rabbit twice, with our second ride taking place in a downfall of rain. The ride seemed even smoother and faster with the slick tracks, which could explain why they were not allowing guests to board the last two cars of the train.

We took two spins on the often criticized Seabreeze Flyers (Flying Scooters) and enjoyed both rides immensely. The ride runs too fast for some folks, yet Jeff and I were having a blast getting our tubs twisted sideways on numerous occasions and flying far higher than most of the other riders. The ride also looks fantastic with its recent paint job (2012 I think?) and seemed to be a big hit with guests as the line was spilling out of the chute later in the day.

The Scenic Train was next on our list and as usual was a nice relaxing trip around the park’s log flume ride. I do wish the ride were a bit longer as it seems like you are back at the loading area far too quickly, but regardless, it’s nice that the park even has a train.

New for 2014 is a Bertazzon Wave Swinger that originally called the ill-fated Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park home. The ride is definitely the most unusual-looking Wave Swinger that I have seen as it seems to have some sort of a “house” theme. Does anyone know what the ride’s them was when it was at HRP? The Wave Swinger replaced Seabreeze’s old Chance YoYo and I feel that this is a perfect replacement. The swings whirl plenty fast and even seem to lift riders off their seats at the apex of the wave motion. Good stuff!

We sat down to watch the Cirque En Vol show in the center of the park and even though it’s basically the same each time we have seen it, this year’s production had to be the best yet. 5 acrobats perform several high-flying stunts off of trampolines and walls creating a unique visual of people flying through the air. The kids that preform in this show are all very talented and had the crowd into everything they did. I’m usually not a fan of live entertainment at the smaller parks, but Seabreeze again rises above the others with this high-quality production.

And of course, no visit to Seabreeze is complete without a ride or 3 on the awesomely outrageous WhirlWind. If you have read any of my other Seabreeze TR’s from year’s past, you’ll know that this Maurer-Sohne spinning coaster ranks very highly in my favorite steel coaster list, and this year, I think the ride climbs even higher. On our first ride, Jeff and I sat facing backwards while two other folks of similar proportions sat facing forwards. The end result was a very average ride that barely spun the car at all. On our second ride we were rather excited as there was no one behind us, which we thought should have resulted in a spin-crazy ride. The ride did spin more than our first ride, but it still wasn’t what we thought WhirlWind was fully capable of.

On our third ride (which was right after another rain shower had fallen), all prior thoughts of average-ness were completely erased. Jeff and I rode facing backwards while a slender girl rode solo facing forwards. About halfway through the course, the car started to spin out of control. Through every element, the car just wouldn’t stop spinning, generating some seriously intense forces and making Jeff and I laugh the entire time. Seriously, this was one of the single most intense coaster rides I have ever experienced. I don’t know what it is about WhirlWind that makes it so much better than Waldameer’s Steel Dragon as it is the exact same ride. Seabreeze’s has a MUCH better spinning experience and this one ride was definitely worth the ride out to Rochester.

Overall, I can’t say enough good things about Seabreeze. I don’t recommend it to people that are fans of Cedar Point and Six Flags because outside of WhirlWind and perhaps the Screamin’ Eagle (Zamperla Hawk 24), there aren’t many “thrill” rides here. But if you like a laid-back, classic family atmosphere with some unique historical rides and a friendly staff, you really should check the place out.

Attached is my video from our visit. Near the end of the video you will find my first attempt at POV coaster riding footage aboard the Bobsleds. All things considered, I thought it turned out surprisingly well. A very special thanks to Seabreeze Marketing manager Jeff Bailey for meeting up with me and allowing me to record the ride before the park opened to the GP. Jeff was genuinely friendly and you could tell he absolutely loves working at Seabreeze (he’s been there 30 years, so I guess that’s a safe assumption!).

As always, thanks for reading and watching!

Re: TR: Seabreeze Amusement Park (7/19/14) by jimvid at 7/21/14 11:05:34 AM
Great TR - Seabreeze is definitely a jewel.
Re: TR: Seabreeze Amusement Park (7/19/14) by drachen drachen Profile at 7/21/14 1:23:58 PM
Great stuff Ray! As I read through, with every scroll I found myself saying "Please have a video... Please have a video..." And of course you did!

No ride on the flume? I LOVE Seabreeze's flume - you get a good soak, and the drop is one of the steeper ones I've experienced. Caught us by surprise.

I can echo everything you said about the park. I love Jack Rabbit, love Whirlwind, love the flat rides, REALLY love Bobsleds, and the carousel is simply one of the best around.

Like you said, the cares of the of the world go away when you're on their carousel. What a gorgeous machine and house they have there. Seabreeze doesn't get enough recognition for it. I just filled out my Golden Ticket ballot, and I thought it was a shame that Seabreeze's carousel wasn't even listed among the options.

Seabreeze now isn't complete for me without a trip through the water park too. I didn't do it in 2012, but we did it as a family last summer. It's great - with some very nice slides, lazy river, and of course, a very nice wave pool.

I hope the park some day soon adds a Ferris wheel. With the lake nearby, they need something to give us an aerial view of the area.

* This post was modified at 7/21/14 1:30:19 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: TR: Seabreeze Amusement Park (7/19/14) by ray_p ray_p Profile at 7/21/14 4:04:59 PM
drachen said:

No ride on the flume? I LOVE Seabreeze's flume - you get a good soak, and the drop is one of the steeper ones I've experienced. Caught us by surprise.

No, we did not ride the flume but if I recall from a prior visit, it was kind of neat as it featured a nice section of "rapids" leading into the tunnel and the drop itself was pretty sweet. I read in the Carousel building that the ride was originally an "Over The Falls" mill chute-type ride and was later converted to a log ride. At the time it opened, it was the steepest log flume drop in the country.

I can echo everything you said about the park. I love Jack Rabbit, love Whirlwind, love the flat rides, REALLY love Bobsleds, and the carousel is simply one of the best around.

Nice pic of the Carousel drachen! :) The ride itself is a sight to behold, and I have always loved the pavilion itself and the rocking chairs set up around the ride. It's a great place to just sit and watch the world go by.

Seabreeze now isn't complete for me without a trip through the water park too. I didn't do it in 2012, but we did it as a family last summer. It's great - with some very nice slides, lazy river, and of course, a very nice wave pool.

I don't do water parks as I don't swim and I certainly don't want to subject anyone to me in a bathing suit! Seabreeze's water park is a nice one though. The kids there on Saturday were having a blast with the tipping bucket and water jet guns that got Jeff to thinking a Splash Battle would probably be a great addition for the park. The relatively new mat racer slide also looks awesome.

I hope the park some day soon adds a Ferris wheel. With the lake nearby, they need something to give us an aerial view of the area.

As I said in my TR, it's a shame that the park doesn't take advantage of their incredibly scenic location on the lakefront. Heck, I wouldn't mind an ARM drop tower for views of the lake!

And to jimvid, thanks for the kind words. It always means a lot coming from a veteran park goer like you! :)

Re: TR: Seabreeze Amusement Park (7/19/14) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/21/14 8:31:44 PM
Great TR, I love Seabreeze. The flyers are excellent, and flying scooters are my favorite flat ride. I even try to visit every park that has them. I agree about the carousel. I voted best carousel last year on my Golden Ticket Awards ballot. This year I voted for the carousel at Eldridge Park. I strongly suggest a visit to Eldridge. So much work went into restoring that carousel. It reminded me of Seabreeze's. I agree about Wirl Wind, it just spins like crazy. Jack Rabbit is very solid, and a John Miller classic. Reminds me of Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake. Really like Bobsleds, but only got 2 rides. We were there on a crowded day also. The thing about Seabreeze is everything is kept in prestine condition. Weather its 3 years old or 90, it looks brand new. The setting is beautiful, and the employees are friendly. It's cost efficient, and just a lot of fun. I can't wait to go back. After I catch up on my reading, I'm going to watch and enjoy your video.
Re: TR: Seabreeze Amusement Park (7/19/14) by Coaster316 at 7/23/14 9:07:19 AM
Great trip report and video, Ray.

I had a blast and am hoping to write up my own report this week. I will withhold replying to anything in your report until then. It would pretty much just be "I agree" anyway.

Re: TR: Seabreeze Amusement Park (7/19/14) by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/25/14 12:50:40 PM
Ho, hum, just another excellent report and video from that Ray guy.

This one was extra sweet with that POV of the Bobsleds. I could feel the ride, and it was just like I remembered from when I rode it years ago.
;-)

Mike B.