Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Rank roller coasters at six flags great america?

Rank roller coasters at six flags great america?

dboor129 dboor129 Profile

Posted:
7/5/14 at
5:00:05 PM

I'm too excited for my trip to Six Flags Great America in Illinois next month. I wanna know what your favorite coasters are and why! What coasters should i check out first? Any family oriented rides worth going on? I wanna hear someone's consensus on the dark knight coaster.

* This post was modified at 7/16/14 11:13:24 PM *

Re: Trip advice: Six Flags Great America by mikesmail76 at 7/5/14 5:08:07 PM
Well....there's Goliath, the latest Rocky Mountain Construction creation.

There's a lot of RMC haters in here but that's because they have slow-rickety-boring-woodie fetishes and for some reason don't like smooth, fast, tall, and exciting roller coasters.

Re: Trip advice: Six Flags Great America by dboor129 dboor129 Profile at 7/5/14 5:20:49 PM
I know about Goliath, I'm really excited to ride that and I'm interested to hear how it compares to Outlaw Run at SDC.
Re: Trip advice: Six Flags Great America by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/5/14 6:15:18 PM
mikesmail76 said:

There's a lot of RMC haters in here but that's because they have slow-rickety-boring-woodie fetishes and for some reason don't like smooth, fast, tall, and exciting roller coasters.

All right, that's enough!
Everyone in here has opinions, likes and dislikes.

Send RMC an email with your thoughts; more power to ya.

Don't proselytize such thoughts in here.
Please.

Mike B.
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by dboor129 dboor129 Profile at 7/16/14 11:14:44 PM
Thanks for the replies, but no one has seemed to answer my question.
Re: Trip advice: Six Flags Great America by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 7/17/14 3:31:34 AM
mikesmail76 said:

Well....there's Goliath, the latest Rocky Mountain Construction creation.

OK, now you're just trolling.

This was probably directed at me, and I shouldn't take the bait, but just to clarify a few things...

I do like fast, tall, and exciting coasters, which is why Voyage is my favorite. I also found Voyage to track smoothly the 2 trips I've made to HW to ride it.

I will say that in general, I don't really care if woodies are "smooth", since I've never ridden a traditional woodie that felt too "rough" for my taste. So that whole selling point of RMCs being "smooth" is kind of moot for me. (Besides, Intimin woodies are just as "smooth" as RMC, and I'd take El Toro over RMC, if given the choice)

But it is ridiculous for you to paint traditional woodies in black and white as "slow, boring, and rickety", as most I've ridden are none of those things, including world class rides like Voyage and Boulderdash.

But as I said, I DO like tall, fast, and exciting woodies. I also like them LONG, which I noticed you didn't mention - perhaps because all of the RMC creations that I'm aware of are surprisingly short for their height and potential?

New Texas Giant is 1,000 feet shorter than the original, and Iron Rattler is a whooping 2,000 feet shorter than the original Rattler!

Outlaw Run has a 162 foot drop but less than 3,000 feet of track, and Goliath has a 180 foot drop but only 3,100 feet of track.

Sorry you are intolerant of differing opinions about RMC. You know, I really wanted to LOVE Outlaw Run. Why wouldn't I? Silver Dollar City is one of my favorite parks in the country, and I have a high opinion of all their other coasters.

Plus, they added an RMC the way I prefer - as a new ride from scratch, rather than tearing down an existing woodie to "convert" it.

Plus, Outlaw Run has real wooden track, unlike RMC's "Iron Horse" creations.

So I went into it with a completely unbiased, open mind, wanting to love it. But getting stapled so tightly it made El Toro's trains seem ROOMY, completely killing any chance of airtime, and the extremely painful ankle restraints made a very negative impression on me.

How dare I have the audacity to express that here (in another thread) and offend you!

* This post was modified at 7/17/14 3:36:47 AM *

"If it isn't wood, it's not as good!"
Favorite wood and overall favorite - Voyage, Holiday World. Favorite steel - Nitro, Great Adventure
"Voyage To Paradise" - http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/profiles/frontrider/blog/340
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 7/17/14 6:30:02 AM
Ok, now I'll answer the question in the original thread.

First, in response to the OPs question about "family rides". the park has a really nice and large collection of flats, a nice train ride and observation tower, and a classic double decker carousel.

Take my coaster rankings with a "grain of salt" as subjective to my own taste, which favors woodies over steelies, airtime over inversions/postive g's, and full circuit over shuttles. Also, my rankings are based primarily on which coaster I'd want to ride over and over again.

I will, naturally, only rank the coasters I've ridden on or before my most recent trip to the park in fall, 2013.

Great America is an interesting park to rank because it has some woodies and steel custom layouts that I love, and some clones I don't really feel much passion for, and not a lot in between. Interestingly, nearly all the custom layouts are on the right side of the park; and most of the clones are on the left side.

Also, on my two full-weekend visits (during Oct 2013 and Oct 2009), the crowds were the worst I have ever encountered in a SF park - even worse than Great Adventure during the same part of the year. Still, I was able to ride most of the major coasters on the Thursday and Friday nights of Fright Fest. But on Sat/Sun, the masses got there bright and early and stayed late, making it impossible to marathon Raging Bull for more than 1 quick reride even right after rope drop.

Anyway, my rankings:

1a) Raging Bull - B&M hypers are my favorite steel coasters, although this is my least fave of the five I've ridden, making it my fifth rated steel. Being more of a twister layout than the others, there aren't as many up-and-over camelbacks as Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, et al, and therefore there are fewer moments of airtime. Also, the annoying trim break while going up and over the third drop reduces the air on what should be the best camelback on the ride. Still, the backseat air on the first drop is outstanding, as is the air on the two bunnys right after the midcourse. If I had never ridden another Beemer hyper, this would be my number 1 steel, because, despite the "flaws" mentioned above, it's a really fun ride. Marathoning on it continuously for an hour in 30-something degree weather during a lightly-attended "passholder ERT" after closing on the Thursday night of my Fright Fest visit last year was something I'll never forget!

1b) Viper - An excellent layout inspired by the mirror image of the Coney Island Cyclone, though not an exact mirrored "clone" of it, or of any of the other woodies based on the Brooklyn classic. Like Georgia Cyclone (also a "mirror" of Coney), Viper has outstanding airtime, though surprisingly not in all the same places. The backseat air isn't as violently ejector as the G-clone coming off the high turnarounds, but has solid air in many other locations throughout the ride. The front seat, too, has some really fun moments of air. The smoothie crowd will be pleased that this felt smoother to me than Georgia Cyclone. It is really hard for me to pick a park fave between this and the Bull, so I am calling it a tie.

3a) American Eagle (left), and
3b) American Eagle (right) - A fun racing woodie that is one of the more intense of the large woodies installed by regional themers in the 70's and 80's. This has a nice, high first drop, which, combined with the low bunny hops on the "out" leg, gives the out leg a nice sense of fast, sustained, speed. I enjoyed the aggression of the helix turnaround, and the bunny hops coming home had a few surprisingly violent moments of air. (note - on my 2013 trip, one side was running backwards. Since I don't care for backwards coasters, my rating is based on the side running forward, and the rides I had on both sides in 2009 when both sides ran forward.)

5) Whizzer - While most of the major regional theme parks went with an Arrow Mine Train for their "family", non-inversion steel coaster, Great America was one of the few to install a rare Schwarzkopf, custom-layout "Speed Racer" coaster. The others in this genre (Big Bend at SFOT, Zambezi Zinger at Worlds of Fun, and the one clone of this Whizzer at the other Great America in Cali), are all sadly long gone, leaving this the only Speed Racer layout still operating in North America. The ride itself is very enjoyable, with fun drops, curves, and helixes set in an awesome woodsy setting, making it a fantastic night ride. And I love the free and open trains, in which the only restraint is a seat belt! Needless to say, this doesn't have the insane airtime found on Schwarzkopf's Shockwave and Minbender.

6) Little Dipper - While only a tame "junior" woodie, it's still a woodie all the same. And with classic trains with fixed-position bars and even skid brakes! I enjoyed this enough to marathon on and would have done so had the line not been so long, although on the Thursday night of my trip I do remember making 4 quick consecutive trains, with 2 fronts and 2 backs.

7) Dark Knight - While only a standard Wild Mouse in the dark, I nonetheless enjoyed it as I like both Wild Mice and indoor dark coasters. I've only been on the Chicago version twice, though, as the line is always so long by the time I get to it (I've been luckier in Jersey).

8) Iron Wolf (no longer at park) - based on my rides in 2009, this was my favorite coaster with inversions in the park. I much prefer the older Beemer standups like this that only have 1 or 2 inversions, over the newer multi-inversion ones like Green Lantern or Mantis. In the older standups, the inversions don't dominate the ride, and make experiencing the novelty of doing the drops and turns while standing up more enjoyable for me. I'm glad this was sent to another park rather than scrapped.

9) Batman: The Ride - I enjoy it for what it is when in the right mood, but I much prefer my inverts to have longer layouts, taller drops, and oversized inversions spread out more throughout the ride - like Alpengeist, Montu, etc.

10) X-Flight - I wanted to love this as I have a pretty high opinion of Wild Eagle at Dollywood. The Eagle has 2 things going for it that this one doesn't, though - a nice, straight, first drop with a hint of backseat air, and a nice, hilly, natural, mountaintop setting. While not a "parking lot coaster", X-Flight is more the plopped down on concrete variety. And I didn't care for the way the track slowly turned into an inversion before even beginning the curved drop (more noticable on one side).

11) Demon - The tunnels made this Arrow double-looper/corkscrew more fun and interesting then I would expect. I would have undoubtedly enjoyed it more when it opened as "Turn of the Century", when it had fewer inversions and more camelbacks.

12) Vertical Velocity - Pretty fun for what it is; I'm just not that big on shuttles compared to full circuit coasters, and I've ridden this exact ride at other parks. Before riding my first Intamin impulse, I was expecting more air than what I actually got. I actually prefer the S&S Screamin' Swing, which isn't a coaster, but goes back and forth like the impulse, and has INSANE airtime. This DOES get points for having a perfect inversion count of zero, however, and in the right mood, I'd prefer this over as many as the 3 I ranked just above it.

13) Spacely's Sprocket Rockets - A standard Vekoma Roller-Skater with cute Jetsons theming. I enjoy these, but wouldn't spend much time with this one on a crowded day since I have access to several clones closer to home at parks I visit regularly. Due to its perfect inversion count, I'd put it ahead of some of the coasters with inversions listed above in certain moods.

14) Superman: Ultimate Flight - As in the Great Adventure thread, I'm not big on the Beemer flyers as I don't like blacking out in the pretzel loop. These were basically just "credits" for me in Jersey and Gurnee, as SFOG is a lot closer to home and I was already familiar with this layout from numerous visits there.

15) Ragin' Cajun (no longer at park) - I really dislike spinning mice. If I wanted a random spinning ride, I'd go for a tilt-a-whirl! I like going forward on coasters watching the track pass underneath me, while the wind blows in my face and I focus on the elements the coaster is doing. I find the random spinning distracts from all of that, and makes spinning mice inconsistent from ride to ride.

* This post was modified at 7/17/14 1:14:08 PM *

Favorite wood and overall favorite - Voyage, Holiday World. Favorite steel - Nitro, Great Adventure
"Voyage To Paradise" - http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/profiles/frontrider/blog/340
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by dboor129 dboor129 Profile at 7/17/14 9:35:43 AM
Thank you for the response, I wasn't trying to be rude and you didn't offend me. I just really wanted some helpful information as it will be my first time visiting the park in two weeks. A very good analysis on your part! Thank you!
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 7/17/14 12:38:28 PM
dboor129 said:

Thank you for the response, I wasn't trying to be rude and you didn't offend me. I just really wanted some helpful information as it will be my first time visiting the park in two weeks. A very good analysis on your part! Thank you!

Thanks! ;)

I forgot to mention they have water rides as well, but have never been on them because I've visited in fall when they were closed.

And I enjoyed their Intamin drop tower as well.

My best advice is to figure out what interests you the most, and make sure you get to do those things. And I'm not sure how many days you will get to spend there or how crowded it will be, but my advice for any park (especially one like this with such a large ride package) is to, if possible, get there before the gates open, and stay until closing, to make the most of your day/s there.

Most importantly, have fun!

PS. I know you weren't being rude. When I said what I said in an earlier post above, it was a response to another poster (that I had quoted above) who I had apparently offended by being critical of RMC coasters in another thread. But if he stopped criticizing those who prefer traditional woodies, I would not have responded that way. I'm sorry if you took that as sarcasm directed at you!

* This post was modified at 7/17/14 12:58:12 PM *

Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/17/14 12:52:38 PM
Haven't rode Goliath yet.
1) Raging Bull
2) X Flight
3) Viper
4) Whizzer
5) Batmab
6) American Eagle
7) Superman
8) V2
9) Demon
10) Dark Knight
Haven't ridden Little Dipper or didn't get to ride Ragin Cajun.
I did like Skockwave, but didn't care for Iron Wolf at SF Great America or now Apocalypse at SF America. I think that's all the coasters.
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by drachen drachen Profile at 7/17/14 4:26:50 PM
NR) Spacely Sprocket (I've never ridden it)
12) Superman
11) Dark Knight
10) Vertical Velocity
9) Little Dipper
8) Demon
7) Whizzer
6) X-Flight
5) American Eagle (prefer the red side)
4) Batman
3) Viper
2) Raging Bull
1) Goliath

All told, they have 11 coasters that I enjoy. It's a great coaster park.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 7/17/14 6:57:27 PM
I haven't been to the park in a few years but here are some random notes:

Raging Bull is a great B&M hypercoaster, the closest one they've done to a pure twister of the ones that I've ridden. The ride has a wonderful smattering of low to the ground turns to accentuate its power and some nice air to boot.

Viper was probably my favourite ride at the park (and will be until my next visit). Though it's smaller, the ride has a great smattering of strong air pops and is a great traditionally-styled wooden coaster. Oft-noted as being criminally under-rated for a reason!

Demon is a quirky old Arrow ride that is worth going on just because of the ridiculous theme. It generally has short lines too.

Whizzer should not be missed, an exceptionally rare in-line seated Schwarzkopf classic with a beautiful location; it's just flat-out fun. I'm still thrilled that the park saved this and opted to rip out Shockwave to put in Superman.

No idea how good X Flight or Goliath are, as I haven't been to the park in a few years. But maybe you'll be able to tell me about them soon enough :-)

Michael W.
242: 66 (22 CCI/GG) / 175
Voyage / Eurosat
R.I.P.: Riverside Cyclone...
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by dboor129 dboor129 Profile at 7/17/14 8:42:37 PM
Frontrider said:

Ok, now I'll answer the question in the original thread.

First, in response to the OPs question about "family rides". the park has a really nice and large collection of flats, a nice train ride and observation tower, and a classic double decker carousel.

Take my coaster rankings with a "grain of salt" as subjective to my own taste, which favors woodies over steelies, airtime over inversions/postive g's, and full circuit over shuttles. Also, my rankings are based primarily on which coaster I'd want to ride over and over again.

I will, naturally, only rank the coasters I've ridden on or before my most recent trip to the park in fall, 2013.

Great America is an interesting park to rank because it has some woodies and steel custom layouts that I love, and some clones I don't really feel much passion for, and not a lot in between. Interestingly, nearly all the custom layouts are on the right side of the park; and most of the clones are on the left side.

Also, on my two full-weekend visits (during Oct 2013 and Oct 2009), the crowds were the worst I have ever encountered in a SF park - even worse than Great Adventure during the same part of the year. Still, I was able to ride most of the major coasters on the Thursday and Friday nights of Fright Fest. But on Sat/Sun, the masses got there bright and early and stayed late, making it impossible to marathon Raging Bull for more than 1 quick reride even right after rope drop.

Anyway, my rankings:

1a) Raging Bull - B&M hypers are my favorite steel coasters, although this is my least fave of the five I've ridden, making it my fifth rated steel. Being more of a twister layout than the others, there aren't as many up-and-over camelbacks as Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, et al, and therefore there are fewer moments of airtime. Also, the annoying trim break while going up and over the third drop reduces the air on what should be the best camelback on the ride. Still, the backseat air on the first drop is outstanding, as is the air on the two bunnys right after the midcourse. If I had never ridden another Beemer hyper, this would be my number 1 steel, because, despite the "flaws" mentioned above, it's a really fun ride. Marathoning on it continuously for an hour in 30-something degree weather during a lightly-attended "passholder ERT" after closing on the Thursday night of my Fright Fest visit last year was something I'll never forget!

1b) Viper - An excellent layout inspired by the mirror image of the Coney Island Cyclone, though not an exact mirrored "clone" of it, or of any of the other woodies based on the Brooklyn classic. Like Georgia Cyclone (also a "mirror" of Coney), Viper has outstanding airtime, though surprisingly not in all the same places. The backseat air isn't as violently ejector as the G-clone coming off the high turnarounds, but has solid air in many other locations throughout the ride. The front seat, too, has some really fun moments of air. The smoothie crowd will be pleased that this felt smoother to me than Georgia Cyclone. It is really hard for me to pick a park fave between this and the Bull, so I am calling it a tie.

3a) American Eagle (left), and
3b) American Eagle (right) - A fun racing woodie that is one of the more intense of the large woodies installed by regional themers in the 70's and 80's. This has a nice, high first drop, which, combined with the low bunny hops on the "out" leg, gives the out leg a nice sense of fast, sustained, speed. I enjoyed the aggression of the helix turnaround, and the bunny hops coming home had a few surprisingly violent moments of air. (note - on my 2013 trip, one side was running backwards. Since I don't care for backwards coasters, my rating is based on the side running forward, and the rides I had on both sides in 2009 when both sides ran forward.)

5) Whizzer - While most of the major regional theme parks went with an Arrow Mine Train for their "family", non-inversion steel coaster, Great America was one of the few to install a rare Schwarzkopf, custom-layout "Speed Racer" coaster. The others in this genre (Big Bend at SFOT, Zambezi Zinger at Worlds of Fun, and the one clone of this Whizzer at the other Great America in Cali), are all sadly long gone, leaving this the only Speed Racer layout still operating in North America. The ride itself is very enjoyable, with fun drops, curves, and helixes set in an awesome woodsy setting, making it a fantastic night ride. And I love the free and open trains, in which the only restraint is a seat belt! Needless to say, this doesn't have the insane airtime found on Schwarzkopf's Shockwave and Minbender.

6) Little Dipper - While only a tame "junior" woodie, it's still a woodie all the same. And with classic trains with fixed-position bars and even skid brakes! I enjoyed this enough to marathon on and would have done so had the line not been so long, although on the Thursday night of my trip I do remember making 4 quick consecutive trains, with 2 fronts and 2 backs.

7) Dark Knight - While only a standard Wild Mouse in the dark, I nonetheless enjoyed it as I like both Wild Mice and indoor dark coasters. I've only been on the Chicago version twice, though, as the line is always so long by the time I get to it (I've been luckier in Jersey).

8) Iron Wolf (no longer at park) - based on my rides in 2009, this was my favorite coaster with inversions in the park. I much prefer the older Beemer standups like this that only have 1 or 2 inversions, over the newer multi-inversion ones like Green Lantern or Mantis. In the older standups, the inversions don't dominate the ride, and make experiencing the novelty of doing the drops and turns while standing up more enjoyable for me. I'm glad this was sent to another park rather than scrapped.

9) Batman: The Ride - I enjoy it for what it is when in the right mood, but I much prefer my inverts to have longer layouts, taller drops, and oversized inversions spread out more throughout the ride - like Alpengeist, Montu, etc.

10) X-Flight - I wanted to love this as I have a pretty high opinion of Wild Eagle at Dollywood. The Eagle has 2 things going for it that this one doesn't, though - a nice, straight, first drop with a hint of backseat air, and a nice, hilly, natural, mountaintop setting. While not a "parking lot coaster", X-Flight is more the plopped down on concrete variety. And I didn't care for the way the track slowly turned into an inversion before even beginning the curved drop (more noticable on one side).

11) Demon - The tunnels made this Arrow double-looper/corkscrew more fun and interesting then I would expect. I would have undoubtedly enjoyed it more when it opened as "Turn of the Century", when it had fewer inversions and more camelbacks.

12) Vertical Velocity - Pretty fun for what it is; I'm just not that big on shuttles compared to full circuit coasters, and I've ridden this exact ride at other parks. Before riding my first Intamin impulse, I was expecting more air than what I actually got. I actually prefer the S&S Screamin' Swing, which isn't a coaster, but goes back and forth like the impulse, and has INSANE airtime. This DOES get points for having a perfect inversion count of zero, however, and in the right mood, I'd prefer this over as many as the 3 I ranked just above it.

13) Spacely's Sprocket Rockets - A standard Vekoma Roller-Skater with cute Jetsons theming. I enjoy these, but wouldn't spend much time with this one on a crowded day since I have access to several clones closer to home at parks I visit regularly. Due to its perfect inversion count, I'd put it ahead of some of the coasters with inversions listed above in certain moods.

14) Superman: Ultimate Flight - As in the Great Adventure thread, I'm not big on the Beemer flyers as I don't like blacking out in the pretzel loop. These were basically just "credits" for me in Jersey and Gurnee, as SFOG is a lot closer to home and I was already familiar with this layout from numerous visits there.

15) Ragin' Cajun (no longer at park) - I really dislike spinning mice. If I wanted a random spinning ride, I'd go for a tilt-a-whirl! I like going forward on coasters watching the track pass underneath me, while the wind blows in my face and I focus on the elements the coaster is doing. I find the random spinning distracts from all of that, and makes spinning mice inconsistent from ride to ride.

The only B&M coasters I've been on are at Cedar Point and Kings Island. I'm curious...If you've been on Diamondback at KI i'm wondering how it compares to Raging Bull. I know Diamondback is faster, but the train designs are the same so I would like to know the experiences between the two.

Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/17/14 9:37:35 PM
I just recently visited Great America and wanted to share a few thoughts. I have a new found respect for Raging Bull. I always rode this coaster in the front on my last visit and was not too impressed at all. My least favorite B&M hyper. I decided to give it a shot in the back row and WOW!!! The pull you get over that first drop is one of the best moments I have had on any coaster!! Lots more airtime to be had in the back of this bad boy!!

The Dark Knight is way better at this park than at my home park in Jersey. There must be 4 or 5 more working props on this coaster here. I really enjoyed it. Actually enjoyed it so much I got a second ride on it!!

Dion
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by drachen drachen Profile at 7/17/14 11:21:09 PM
chitlins73 said:

I have a new found respect for Raging Bull. I decided to give it a shot in the back row and WOW!!! The pull you get over that first drop is one of the best moments I have had on any coaster!! Lots more airtime to be had in the back of this bad boy!!

Glad to hear, Dion. Raging Bull is a great back seat coaster. The drop off the brakes is wonderful too.

Were you able to ride Goliath? What day were you there?

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 7/18/14 4:50:16 PM
dboor129 said:

The only B&M coasters I've been on are at Cedar Point and Kings Island. I'm curious...If you've been on Diamondback at KI i'm wondering how it compares to Raging Bull. I know Diamondback is faster, but the train designs are the same so I would like to know the experiences between the two.

Unfortunately, Diamondback is the only US B&M hyper I haven't been on yet, as both of my visits to Kings Island were before it existed. So that question would be better answered by one of the other posters.

Taking a guess based on POV of Diamondback that I've seen, I would guess that DB probably has more moments of total airtime than the Bull (based on DB having more camelbacks).

But, as others have said, don't underestimate the power of the Bull's backseat air! ;)

Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/18/14 9:26:23 PM
The first thing I want say is Diamondback is a very good coaster, in my top 20 favorite steel coasters. I've ridden it over 50 tines. I've ridden all 6 B&M hypercoasters in the US and the 3 in Canada. Diamondback has gotten better with age, but still the weakest B&M hyper that I've ridden. That's just my opinion. Everyone seems to have a different ranking when it cones to these B&M hypercoasters. Raging Bull ranks 2nd to last as for my personal rankings.
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by ktujon ktujon Profile at 7/19/14 9:05:16 AM
chitlins73 said:

I just recently visited Great America and wanted to share a few thoughts. I have a new found respect for Raging Bull. I always rode this coaster in the front on my last visit and was not too impressed at all. My least favorite B&M hyper. I decided to give it a shot in the back row and WOW!!! The pull you get over that first drop is one of the best moments I have had on any coaster!! Lots more airtime to be had in the back of this bad boy!!

The Dark Knight is way better at this park than at my home park in Jersey. There must be 4 or 5 more working props on this coaster here. I really enjoyed it. Actually enjoyed it so much I got a second ride on it!!

I was pretty impressed with Raging Bull's first drop as well and their hills deliver good airtime but was rather disappointed with the layout; I prefer the string of hills that Nitro/Behemoth delivers instead of the turns they throw in between which is unique but when I ride a B&M hyper its all about the hills for me.

Not just the Dark Knight but I was also impressed with the other clones Superman and Batman had better landscaping than Jersey.

Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 7/19/14 3:58:45 PM
Raging Bull is the most unique of the B&M hypers that I've been on (Apollo, Nitro, Bull, Diamondback, Silver Star) which is why I rate it second for my prefs, just after Nitro.

But I'm generally a much bigger fan of twister layouts than the average rider, to the point where airtime is optional for me to still rate a ride highly. The thing I do quite like about RB's ride is that the long slung curves allow it to show off its speed and power more than the traditional out and back B&M hyper style. I feel like the other Beemers all have layouts that feel too similar with Nitro being the only real standout among the group that I've been on.

Michael W.
242: 66 (22 CCI/GG) / 175
Voyage / Eurosat
R.I.P.: Riverside Cyclone...
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/20/14 11:56:51 AM
I was at Great America on Monday,July 7th. I got to ride Goliath at night for my first ride!! It was awesome!! We went the next morning at park opening for a second ride. I was kind of upset because the Platinum Flash Pass we bought for $110.00 each did not cover Goliath. Only one ride a day. The only reason I do not rank the RMC coasters higher than more traditional coasters are because the short length of these rides. As soon as we were just getting into the ride,it was already approaching the brake run.

* This post was modified at 7/20/14 11:57:27 AM *

Dion
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by drachen drachen Profile at 7/20/14 2:11:00 PM
chitlins73 said:

I was kind of upset because the Platinum Flash Pass we bought for $110.00 each did not cover Goliath. Only one ride a day.

Really? Did the Platinum Flash Pass get you no quick rides on Goliath or just one?

The reason I ask is that the park's website clearly states that Goliath IS included.

SFGAm Flash Pass

drachen
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by ktujon ktujon Profile at 7/20/14 2:59:16 PM
Currently Platinum pass will get you 2 rides on Goliath for the day
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/20/14 10:19:48 PM
I was only allowed one ride the day I went.
Dion
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/21/14 2:18:38 PM
NA - Goliath - Haven't ridden it. It'd be interesting to see if it'd dethrone Raging Bull as my favorite.

14) Dark Knight - no...just no...

13) Superman - didn't ride it, there is one at my home park. The line was just way too long.

10) Spacely Sprocket - fun, it's an odd little one. Worth the credit if you care.

9) Viper - Meh woodie. Actually pretty forgettable in my opinion.

8) Little Dipper - fun little woody. Surprised my tall self fit on it.

7) Demon - Surprisingly fun. Not the most comfortable ride, but it's unique!

6) Whizzer - super super fun. Highly suggest you ride it as there aren't many like it left. I don't think they allow single riders if I remember right.

5) Batman - went on it backwards. More of the same, but I'm a fan of Batman's. :)

4) Vertical Velocity - Awesome. Lots of fun. I enjoy rides like this. (Posessed at Dorney)

3) American Eagle - I went on it backwards and it was wilddddd. Fun woodie.

2) X-Flight - my favorite out of Wild Eagle, Gate Keeper, and X-Flight. It has good speed, great keyhole elements. I just really enjoyed it.

1) Raging Bull - Hyperrrrrr coasterrrr. It is kind of slow (mid course break is a killer), but I love love love the layout and proximity of the turns. Love this ride despite it's slower speed than Nitro and Apollo's Chariot.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 7/21/14 3:37:58 PM
mugen828 said:

6) Whizzer - super super fun. Highly suggest you ride it as there aren't many like it left. I don't think they allow single riders if I remember right.

On my visits during extremely crowded conditions in Oct 2009 and Oct 2013, they did allow singles. All of my rides on it have been as a single. I hope this hasn't changed since my last visit, because it would be EXTREMELY awkward to have to ride this with a stranger, due to the nature of the "inline" lap seating!

Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/21/14 4:56:18 PM
Frontrider said:

mugen828 said:

On my visits during extremely crowded conditions in Oct 2009 and Oct 2013, they did allow singles. All of my rides on it have been as a single. I hope this hasn't changed since my last visit, because it would be EXTREMELY awkward to have to ride this with a stranger, due to the nature of the "inline" lap seating!

haha I hear ya! I rode with friends, but I think that's the reason they do it.

Mike (beastrider)commented about it last year? maybe two years ago. I hope my memory isn't playing tricks on me!

- mugen828
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/21/14 7:40:22 PM
mugen828 said:

Frontrider said:

mugen828 said:

haha I hear ya! I rode with friends, but I think that's the reason they do it.

Mike (beastrider)commented about it last year? maybe two years ago. I hope my memory isn't playing tricks on me!

Tricks. :) And that's beastMASTER to you, young man. :)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/23/14 10:20:29 PM
mugen828 said:

They allow single riders. On my short three hour visit, it was one of three rides I was able to get on and I'm glad I did. It's definitely unique.

I also got a ride on Batman (backwards, ugh) and one of the sides of American Eagle (I don't even remember because I thought it was the worst wooden coaster I've ridden).

I had to skip everything else because the park was packed and we were en route to Milwaukee, so I had to save my money, otherwise I would splurged for the Platinum Pass.

I really, really want to ride Demon (before they tear it out one day) and Raging Bull (as it's the one B&M hyper, aside from AC that I'm actually interested in). I also wish I could have ridden Ragin' Cajun in its original location. I couldn't find the damn thing (don't ask me how) that day so I skipped it, not knowing it was coming my way later on that year.

Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by dboor129 dboor129 Profile at 7/27/14 8:23:37 PM
antikythera said:
I also got a ride on Batman (backwards, ugh) and one of the sides of American Eagle (I don't even remember because I thought it was the worst wooden coaster I've ridden).

You can ride batman backwards at Six Flags Great America? I didn't know that was an option at that Six Flags? Now I'm a little more interested! Is American Eagle really that bad? It didn't sound that great to me but when I heard it went 66mph I was a little more intrigued! That's gotta be in the top 10 for woodies!

Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by dboor129 dboor129 Profile at 8/2/14 7:13:18 PM
Alright guys. I just got back from my 2 day venture to Chicago and instead of writing a full TR in a new thread I've decided to finally be able to rank some coasters at Great America myself.

10. Dark Knight- I knew it was a "Mad Mouse" type ride, I just figured it would be a little more unique. The splash of water in the face from the ride was refreshing though!
9. Viper- A classic, bumpy woodie with a few unique turns, not too bad at all.
8. Superman- The first ride I hit, I didn't expect much from this, the pretzel loop was amazing though.
7. Demon- Just a classic corkscrew coaster with a cool lighted tunnel.
6. American Eagle- Went on the recommended red train and had a blast! Exceeded my expectations as a racer, especially with those turns and mini hills.
5. X Flight- The overall layout of the coaster was cool, and the mini tower that the train ran underneath was sweet. Not better than Gatekeeper.
4. Batman- I only like inverted B&Ms in the front seat. The loops and barrel rolls were amazing! A lot smoother ride than I thought for being 20+ years old.
3. Raging Bull- B&M hypers are my favorite. The first drop into the tunnel was amazing! Very enjoyable ride for a not so long wait.
2. Goliath- First of all, I waited 2.5 hours to ride this. Definitely worth the wait! The first drop and the zero G roll were awesome!

I didn't get a chance to ride Vertical Velocity or Whizzer. Didn't really wanna ride Velocity because I've been on Steel Venom at VF and Wicked Twister at CP. Those style launch coasters are nothing special to me. Didn't get a chance to go on Whizzer because of inclement weather towards the end of the night. I only got to go on everything once because the park was so packed. My shortest wait for a ride was 45 minutes.

It was my first Six Flags park and next time I go to one, I am definitely getting the flash pass and would recommend that to anyone else!

Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/20/14 12:46:17 PM
dboor129 said:

Alright guys. I just got back from my 2 day venture to Chicago and instead of writing a full TR in a new thread I've decided to finally be able to rank some coasters at Great America myself.

10. Dark Knight- I knew it was a "Mad Mouse" type ride, I just figured it would be a little more unique. The splash of water in the face from the ride was refreshing though!
9. Viper- A classic, bumpy woodie with a few unique turns, not too bad at all.
8. Superman- The first ride I hit, I didn't expect much from this, the pretzel loop was amazing though.
7. Demon- Just a classic corkscrew coaster with a cool lighted tunnel.
6. American Eagle- Went on the recommended red train and had a blast! Exceeded my expectations as a racer, especially with those turns and mini hills.
5. X Flight- The overall layout of the coaster was cool, and the mini tower that the train ran underneath was sweet. Not better than Gatekeeper.
4. Batman- I only like inverted B&Ms in the front seat. The loops and barrel rolls were amazing! A lot smoother ride than I thought for being 20+ years old.
3. Raging Bull- B&M hypers are my favorite. The first drop into the tunnel was amazing! Very enjoyable ride for a not so long wait.
2. Goliath- First of all, I waited 2.5 hours to ride this. Definitely worth the wait! The first drop and the zero G roll were awesome!

I didn't get a chance to ride Vertical Velocity or Whizzer. Didn't really wanna ride Velocity because I've been on Steel Venom at VF and Wicked Twister at CP. Those style launch coasters are nothing special to me. Didn't get a chance to go on Whizzer because of inclement weather towards the end of the night. I only got to go on everything once because the park was so packed. My shortest wait for a ride was 45 minutes.

It was my first Six Flags park and next time I go to one, I am definitely getting the flash pass and would recommend that to anyone else!

Glad you had a great time! hope you visit other six flags parks. If you plan to, ALWAYS get a season pass. It feels really good to walk in for free at multiple parks :)

- mugen828
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/21/14 12:02:09 AM
frontrow said:

1) Raging Bull
2) X Flight
3) Viper
4) Whizzer
5) Batmab
6) American Eagle
7) Superman
8) V2
9) Demon
10) Dark Knight
I did like Skockwave, but didn't care for Iron Wolf at SF Great America or now Apocalypse at SF America. I think that's all the coasters.

Just rode Goliath today for the first time. Arrived at the park at 3:00 and went straight back to Goliath. After a 2 hour and 15 minute wait, we got a back seat ride. We are going back to the park tomorrow. I want a front seat ride on it before I give it a full review. I will say this, coasters like El Toro, Outlaw Run, The Voyage, Boulder Dash, Prowler, and Hades blow it away. It is very inventive and a lot of fun. Looking forward to riding it again.

Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/21/14 4:45:31 PM
Hey Ken...I see you have Dark Knight last on your list.Did you ride the one there? It is way better than the one at Great Adventure!!! Has lots of effects that the one at Great Adventure does not have!!
Dion
Re: Rank roller coasters at six flags great america? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/21/14 10:09:49 PM
frontrow said:

frontrow said:

1) Raging Bull
2) X Flight
3) Viper
4) Whizzer
5) Batmab
6) American Eagle
7) Superman
8) V2
9) Demon
10) Dark Knight

Just rode Goliath today for the first time. Arrived at the park at 3:00 and went straight back to Goliath. After a 2 hour and 15 minute wait, we got a back seat ride. We are going back to the park tomorrow. I want a front seat ride on it before I give it a full review. I will say this, coasters like El Toro, Outlaw Run, The Voyage, Boulder Dash, Prowler, and Hades blow it away. It is very inventive and a lot of fun. Looking forward to riding it again.

I retract that statement. Rode front seat of Goliath this morning on a wet track. The ride was amazing. Better in every way, and every element was better. Rank it as my 5th favorite wooden coaster, behind El Toro, Outlaw Run, Voyage, and Boulder Dash. My favorite coaster at Six Flags Great America. Plan on doing a full TR when I get home.