Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 2014 Coaster Trip

2014 Coaster Trip

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
6/28/14 at
4:40:47 AM

Well after 9 months of planning, saving, and anticipation, our big coaster trip is now just one week away. This year we are touring New England, New York, and Montreal. Our agenda looks like this.
Day#1: Eldridge Park & Hoffman's Playland
Day#2: Great Escape
Day#3: La Ronde
Day#4: Storyland & Fun Town/ Splash Town
Day#5: Canobie Lake Park
Day#6: Six Flags New England
Day#7: Quassy & Lake Compounce
Day#8: Rye Playland
I've only been to Lake Compounce and SFNE. Do any of you have any tips on any of the parks listed above? Most of these are parks will be a first time visit, any advice is welcome. Also, what volume of traffic should I expect around Rye NY? SF Great Adventure is a very slight possibility/ option for day 9, depending on how much cash I have left. If Day #9 is the day we get home then I have planned a route around NYC, in order to stay clear of traffic. Thought about Luna Park, but after research, I found it to be way too expensive. Would really like to get out to SF Great America in Gurnee, for Goliath, in August, so I'm going to try and watch what I spend. Has anyone visited these parks before?

Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by depotrat at 6/28/14 7:23:04 AM
We have been to all these parks except Eldridge Park (pretty sure they have no coaster)in Elmira. You have a long drive between Elmira and Latham that day. It is over 3 hours if traffic is good. Hoffmans closes at 9 PM so be careful with your time there.

You mentioned budget but it could be a real slog to get on all the coasters at LaRonde and SFNE without a Flashpass if you are there on a weekend day or any day when the weather is very good.

Depending on what you what to ride, Storyland and Funtown in the same day may be agressive. You might want to consider Old Orchard Beach after Funtown as it usually stays open pretty late and you pay by the ride there, so a couple of coasters won't be crazy expensive.

Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by houstondavid houstondavid Profile at 6/28/14 9:12:56 AM
Hello,

Sounds like a wonderful coaster trip. I look forward to the trip report when you get back.
I can't help much as I have only been to Canobie Lake and SFNE, and only on weekdays during the summer or weekends in the off-season.

We were just at SFNE on the 21st and it was a beautiful day and we waited 45 minutes for the front row of Bizarro (would have been 30 min for any other row). It seemed that ride-ops in general were not very smooth that day considering the park has been open since April. The line for Pandemonium always seems to move slowly so we usually hit it early.

My daughter and I are making our first trip to Storyland and Santa's Village for the ACE event on July 19th. I'm looking forward to that.

Have a great trip!
David

Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/28/14 11:25:27 AM
depotrat said:

We have been to all these parks except Eldridge Park (pretty sure they have no coaster)in Elmira. You have a long drive between Elmira and Latham that day. It is over 3 hours if traffic is good. Hoffmans closes at 9 PM so be careful with your time there.

You mentioned budget but it could be a real slog to get on all the coasters at LaRonde and SFNE without a Flashpass if you are there on a weekend day or any day when the weather is very good.

Depending on what you what to ride, Storyland and Funtown in the same day may be agressive. You might want to consider Old Orchard Beach after Funtown as it usually stays open pretty late and you pay by the ride there, so a couple of coasters won't be crazy expensive.

Thanks for the information. According to the web site Storyland opens at 9:30am, which makes it possible to do Fun Town in the same day. I didn't know about Palace Playland at Old Orchard Beach. It looks like its worth a hour or 2 if we have time that night. It looks like its only 10-15 minutes from Fun Town. I've been reading that they will close Fun Town due to rain or even rain in the forecast. I may have to give this area 2 days instead of 1.

Our agenda has us at La Ronde on a Monday and SF New England on a Thursday, so we will be at those parks on weekdays. I've read that La Ronde usually has 1 train operations on all the coasters. I've considered a flash pass for that park, but I would have to buy 4 of them, which is expensive. Other than Palace Playland, am I missing any other parks in the New England area?

Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by depotrat at 6/28/14 12:33:17 PM
There are a few smaller parks near your trip path. Use parks neaeby feature on RCDB.com if you haven't already.
Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/28/14 1:08:12 PM
houstondavid said:

Hello,

Sounds like a wonderful coaster trip. I look forward to the trip report when you get back.
I can't help much as I have only been to Canobie Lake and SFNE, and only on weekdays during the summer or weekends in the off-season.

We were just at SFNE on the 21st and it was a beautiful day and we waited 45 minutes for the front row of Bizarro (would have been 30 min for any other row). It seemed that ride-ops in general were not very smooth that day considering the park has been open since April. The line for Pandemonium always seems to move slowly so we usually hit it early.

My daughter and I are making our first trip to Storyland and Santa's Village for the ACE event on July 19th. I'm looking forward to that.

Have a great trip!
David

Thanks David. Its a been many years since I wad at SF New England. During my last visit we arrived before opening and ran down to Bizarro, then Superman ROS, after the rope drop. We got 3 quick rides on it, one in the front and 2 in the back in that first 45 minutes. Then the people started to pour in. We ended the day on it with another ride, but the wait time was about 45 minutes. Is this still a good strategy? Can you still get multiple rides on it in that first hour? The good thing is that we have all day from open to close. I would like to get multiple rides on Bizarro and every other coaster once. I also have a few flats on the list like the carousel.

Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by houstondavid houstondavid Profile at 6/30/14 9:38:31 PM
My guess is that strategy would still work. Bizarro is way at the back of the park and people tend to get distracted on the way back there. From your posts, it is apparent you have been to a lot of parks, and I see no reason your strategy won't work at SFNE.

In my case, I haven't been able to try it. My last trip was with three 12-year old boys, two of which needed to work their way up to the biggest coaster in the park. Fortunately, my son and I got to end the day with a front-row ride on Bizarro about 7 pm on a beautiful day - it was really sweet finale.

David

Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/1/14 2:05:59 PM
So so jealous! have an amazing time and I hope to see lots of pictures and a nice recap! :)
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by drachen drachen Profile at 7/2/14 10:23:20 AM
If you have Six Flags season passes, you should be able to ride Bizarro before everyone else. That was the case when I went in 2010.

I've very jealous. I had a New Enland trip planned as well, but my brother-in-law decided to get married. I will be exhausting the rest of my available vacation days on that instead.

But that's in Chicago, so I'll at least be able to ride Goliath. I'm trying to squeeze a trip to Adventureland in too. We shall see...

Have fun!

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/2/14 2:58:01 PM
drachen said:

If you have Six Flags season passes, you should be able to ride Bizarro before everyone else. That was the case when I went in 2010.

I've very jealous. I had a New Enland trip planned as well, but my brother-in-law decided to get married. I will be exhausting the rest of my available vacation days on that instead.

But that's in Chicago, so I'll at least be able to ride Goliath. I'm trying to squeeze a trip to Adventureland in too. We shall see...

Have fun!

Thanks Drachen. I'll have to call SF New England and see if they still offer that. We are getting our SF passes at Great Escape. I think I'm going to get a gold pass that includes parking for all Six Flag parks. I believe I will save money that way. I plan on leaving this Saturday, but I'm not due off the boat until tomorrow. I have a list of things that need to get accomplished by Friday evening.

Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/30/14 4:03:17 AM
Haven't had much free time and I was wondering how on earth to write a TR of this huge trip. It's been nearly 3 weeks since my trip, so I'm going to write my TR a little different. It would be almost impossible to recall every little detail, so I'll focus on the things that stood out the most. First of all here is how our trip planned out.
Day #1: Eldridge Park & Hoffman's Playland
Day #2: Great Escape
Day #3: LaRonde
Day #4: Storyland, Fun Town/ Splash Town, & Palace Playland
Day #5: Canobie Lake Park
Day #6: Six Flags New England
Day #7: Quassy & Lake Compounce
Day #8: Rye Playland
Day#9: Six Flags Great Adventure
After our trip we visited Idlewild Park for the first time in 5 years and I stopped at Jungle Jacks Landing at The Columbus Zoo and Coney Island in Cincinnati Ohio.
The only parks that I have visited before were Lake Compounce in 2011, Six Flags New England about 11 years ago, and my beloved Six Flags Great Adventure. I'm going to do my TR the way beastmaster does his end of the year awards.

Best New Park to me:
#5 LaRonde: This should be higher on this list. LaRonde has a nice collection of coasters, 10, and a very good selection of flat rides. The crowds were non existent due to a steady drizzle. For the most part they kept the rides open and we were able to jump from ride to ride. The park is very dirty. There are weeds growing in the the que lines chest high, paint is peeling off of everything, very little to no landscaping or theming. We even saw a rat inside the park. It wasn't a mouse, it was a rat. Montreal itself is just a run down city, I know because I was all through it. I got lost going to the park and got lost trying to get out. Goliath is awesome, which I'll get to that later, but I doubt I'll ever go back. The park has tremendous potential. With some TLC, this could be a great park. It's a shame they keep it in its current condition.

#4 Fun Town/ Splash Town USA: This is very clean small park. It has a decent collection of flat rides along with a great wooden coaster. The section were Excalibur sits is nicely themed. Th employees ars very friendly and the park is cost effiecent. Even though the park is small there are a decent amount of rides. I could actually spend a whole day at this small park. I see myself going back someday.

#3 Rye Playland: This park is another small park that is full of history. The park is very clean and nicely landscaped. The park was smaller than expected, but nicer. It's full of classic rides, which I've grown to appreciate. Being that the park is located on a sound, it gives you that seaside park feeling. All in all Rye is gem in the industry. It's like stepping back into the 1920's, but still is kept up to modern day amusement park standard.

#2 Great Escape: This park does not have a great coaster collection, other than the Comet, and the flat ride selection is average at best. Great Escape is not your normal Marvel Comics, Looney Tunes, Six Flags Park. This park is beautiful.It almost reminded me of Busch Gardens on how they pay attention to every little detail to make the park look nice. The park was very uncrowded, so we were able to ride what we wanted, when we wanted. It's one of those parks that makes you feel you have entered a fantasy land when you are in the park. This is one of nicest Six Flags parks. I doesn't feel like a Six Flags park. It's more like a true theme park.

#1 Canobie Lake Park: This park is beautiful. The coaster collection is a little weak, but the flat ride collection is really good. Equinox and another flat ride were down, which was disappointing. There was a section of the park that I didn't know existed until the next night, which had a flume and a dark ride, so we didn't get to ride those either. The staff is some of the best in the industry. They make you feel right at home. The park is super clean and like Great Escape, they pay attention to every detail. There are some classic rides, with a mix of new rides. It actually reminded me of Kennywood, only better. This was our most crowded park of the entire trip, and we didn't get many rides on the coasters. Being those 2 flats were down and we missed the dark ride, this park is very high on my list for a return visit.

Note: Storyland didn't make my top 5. Storyland was probably the best themed park of the trip and was very photogenic. The reason it didn't make the list is other than their new Roar O Saurus and their flying scooters, there are not many rides at this park. The park is located in the most beautiful area, but it truly is a kids park. We only stayed for 3 hours, due to a multipark day, but I was ready to leave any way. Being that there not many rides, wait times were longer than expected. The park wasn't crowded, there's just not much for people to do. All their rides are nicely themed, but they need more of them. They have a kiddie coaster called Polar Coaster. The theming is excellent, but its a kiddie coaster. We probably waited 20 minutes for it. It's like a kids version of Disney, and I'm not a huge Disney fan.

Note #2 Palace Playland at Old Orchard Beach didn't make my top 5 either, which my daughter would disagree. It's like a permanent seaside carnival. The setting is breathtaking, but the park itself is nothing to brag about. This was actually my first ever seaside park. It had a decent amount of rides crammed into a very small space. It had a galaxi coaster and a kiddie coaster. It also had a Power Surge that was quite good. The Ferris Wheel that overlooked the ocean was my favorite ride there.

Best New Wooden Coaster

#5: Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake Park. We got only 2 rides on this Herb Schmeck classic woodie. I drew 2nd from back both times. This out and back woodie had plenty of air time and was very smooth. It felt a lot bigger and faster than it really is. The kids sat in the front seat for their first ride and said the front had very little air time. This coaster wont make my top 25 wooden coasters, but it was just a lot of fun.

#4 Wooden Warrior at Quassy: This is a junior Gravity Group Coaster. The timberline trains are super comfortable. The first part of the ride was great, but lost momentum towards the end. We rode it 6 times in various rows, the front being my favorite. There was some good air and laterals in the first half of the ride. My daughter actually really liked this coaster.

#3 Roar O Saurus at Storyland: Another Gravity Group junior woodie. This coaster is the opposite of Wooden Warrior. It comes to life after the mid coarse tunnel providing excellent air time with some laterals. We got 5 rides on it in various rows. Once again the front was my favorite. These trains just aren't long enough for the back seat to make a difference. Both Gravity Group coasters were super smooth.

#2 Comet at Great Escape: This coaster reminded me of The Phoenix, but not nearly as good. The layout is very similar. There is some good air time, but the coaster is not super smooth. The front seat is smooth, but the back is just too bumpy. I rode it 7 times, mostly in the front. The kids grabbed a couple more rides on it while I took some photos. I had high expectations for it, but it fell just a little short.

#1 Excalibur at Fun Town/ Splash Town USA: This was the surprise of the trip. This is a terrific wooden coaster that is loaded with air time and laterals. Its super smooth, but runs very aggressive. We rode it 10 times in the front, in the back, and almost everywhere in between. The back seat was my favorite, but it was good in any seat. I have it as my 16th favorite wooden coaster ahead of some great coasters like The Beast, The Raven, Corn Ball Express, and Twister at Knoebles. My only complaint is at the very end it loses speed. The last 2 hops could be better if so much momentum wasn't lost. Maybe I enjoyed the first 85% of it so much, I just wanted more of it. I will revisit this park again, just for Excalibur. I could ride it all day and never get tired of it.

Note: Thunderbolt at Six Flags New England and Monster at LaRonde didn't make the top 5, but were very solid wooden coasters. Thunderbolt was very smooth with some decent air time, while Monster was more aggressive and forceful. Monster wasn't smooth, but not rough either.

Best New Steel Coaster

#5 Pandemonium at Six Flags New England: It's a spinning coaster, but a good one. The crowds were very small at SFNE, but Pandemonium was our longest wait. I've ridden a unch of spinning coasters, but I think this one spun the best. We only got 1 ride due to the low capacity.

#4 Untamed at Canobie Lake Park: This coaster is an eurofighter. The theming is spectacular. From the deer antlerĀ 
chaderliers to the grizzly head fench post. The detail into this coaster is exceptional. The ride itself is fun. I liked it better than Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia and Sponge Bob at Nick Universe. Mystery Mine at Dollywood is still my favorite eurofighter. Untamed is very smooth, but the ride is short. We only got 2 rides on it, both in seat.

#3 Alpine Bobsleds at Great Escape: I really like bobsled coasters. This coaster is no match for Flying Turns at Knoebles or Avalanche at Kings Dominion, but I did like it more than Disaster Transport at Cedar Point. It's just a fun bobsled coasters than does have one insanely sharp turn. Because of capacity, we only got 1 ride on it.

#2 Vampire at LaRonde: This is a B&M invert Batman clone, but the best one. It's more forceful than the others. It has a sense of super speed and is extremely smooth. We rode it 4 times, twice in the front and twice in the back. I liked the visuals in the front, but the forces the back seat provides are incredible. All in all I was really impressed with it.

#1 Goliath at LaRonde: This is a B&M megacoaster. It has a layout very similar to Apollos Chariot at Busch Gardens. It's not as big, or fast, or powerful, but has a ton more air time. The air time is not only floating, but a little extreme also. We rode it 9 times, twice in the front and 7 times in the back. Both are great seats. It actually made my top 10 favorite steel coasters at #10. It's a shame this coaster is at a park that I have no desire to ever revisit. If I do revisit, it will be because of Goliath

Note: Goliath at Six Flags New England didn't make the top 5. We rode it twice once in row 5 and once in row 1. It was one of the roughest steel coasters that I ever ridden. The kids loved it, but it just beat the crap out of my ears and head. I don't care if I ever ride it again. It was my first Vekoma inverted super boomerang, and I don't care if I ever ride another one. There was one of these coasters at Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags Great America during my 2001 visits, but both were down. It has been on my list to finally ride one of the huge boomerangs, but its not on my list to ride another one.

Best Coaster Ride of The Trip

#5 Cyclone at SFNE (front seat): This is for sentiment reasons. We rode Cyclone 3 times, once in the back and twice in the front. Cyclone was very smooth with a little air time. It was actually a fun coaster. For our last ride of the day at SFNE we ride Cyclone in the front seat. We knew that it was going to be our very last ride ever on it, that's what made it special.

#4 Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure( front seat) This was our very last ride of the whole trip. Every time I ride KK, I appreciate it more and more. For me its way better than Top Thrill Dragster at CP. KK is a top 10 steel coaster for me. We rode the 2nd row earlier in the day. This was my sons first ever time riding it. Both kids have Kingda Ka as their very favorite coaster.

#3 Boulder Dash at Lake Compounce ( front seat at 8:45pm) Almost a night ride. Due to single train operations, we only got 4 rides on Boulder Dash, 3 in the front and 1 in the back. The back was just too bumpy. The front seat is excellent. The sense of speed is amazing and the air time is incredible. Boulder Dash is my 4th favorite wooden coaster and that late evening ride was the best I ever had on it. Just wish they would have had 2 trains running, especially because the line was all the way out to the Boulder Dash sign.

#2 Bizarro at SFNE (backseat) We rode Bizarro 8 times, 2 in the front and 6 in the back. It's been 11 years dice I rode it, and it was running way better than I remember. It was full of ejector air, insane laterals, and brute force. We got the first train of the day and that ride was a little sluggish, but the other 7 rides were phenomenal. It moved up to my second favorite steel coaster, with Intimadator 305 at King Dominion being the only steel coaster I like better.

#1 El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure (back seat) Last year I didn't fit and had to do a walk of shame. This year we headed straight for El Toro. We got 6 rides on it, before the crowd showed up. We rode the back 5 times and rode the front. It rained while I was driving to SF Great Adventure, but stopped right before the rope drop. The result was a wet track and the best 6 rides that I ever had on ET. It's still my very favorite coaster wood or steel. It was a personal accomplishment to lose the weight and ride my favorite coaster again.

Note: Nitro didn't make the list. We rode it 3 times, once in the front and twice in the back. We rode trains A, B, and C. Train C is just terrible. It shakes to the point where we were letting people in front of us so we didn't have to ride it again. The other 2 trains aren't much better, they all need new wheels. This is 2 years in a row now where Nitro had not been running good. It actually dropped outbid my top 10 steel coasters, because of its current condition. They really need to get back in good running shape. It's a terrific coaster, they just need to maintain it properly.

Best New Flying Scooter

#5 Flying Aces at Idlewild Park: I'm a huge fan of flying scooters and have gotten really good at operating them to the point where I can snap almost any flying scooter. Havent been to Idlewild in 5 years and the only reason we went were to try out these scooters. Flying Aces were decent. I got 5 rides and had them snapping a little. It will probably be another 5 year's before I go back, even though I live 45 minutes away.

#4 Flying Fish at Storyland: These scooter are painted very well. My first ride I didn't get much action. We rode them again and I had the scooter snapping really well, especially for how slow them run them.

#3 Sceamin Eagles at Great Escape: These are a modern model, but may be the best modern model. I had these scooters snapping like crazy. During the first ride the ride op didn't say anything. He let me snap the heck out of them. When we came back later a different op was working. He was yelling at me while I was riding for snapping them so hard. We didn't ride again after that. I didn't want to press my luck.

#2 American Flyers at Lake Compounce: I believe these were once at Kennywood and I rode them as a teenager. Nonetheless, I will still consider them new. These scooter from the 1940's and even though they run them slow they will snap like crazy. I rode them 5 times and loved every ride.

#1 Thunderbirds at Eldridge Park: We paid for 4 rides on the scooters, but were given a total of 7 rides on them. The wind was not in our favor, but my first 6 rides they were the 2nd best scooter that I've ridden, with Knoebles being the best. Finally for our last ride, the wind died down, I stayed in rhythm, and got the best ride that I ever had on a scooter. It was actually scary how these scooters were snapping. They rescued these scooters from a park in Indiana. These are the best looking scooters and the best riding scooters that I ever ridden

Best New Carousel

#5 Columbus Zoo: This is a fully restored Mangels/ Illions carousel. A very beautiful carousel.

#4 Rye Carousel: This was another carousel that was really nice and from that same era

#3 Six Flags New England: Another Illions masterpiece.

#2 Rye Playland Derby Racer. Very similar to Cedar Points Cedar Downs but in a smaller scale. Being its smaller, it seems faster. Really enjoyed our ride on it.

#1 Eldridge Park. So much work went into restoring this beautiful carousel. There is a ring dispenser, but only dispenses one brass ring each ride. It does not dispense numerous regular rings like the one at Knoebles. The carousel spins almost as fast as the derby racers. My daughter caught the brass ring on our 2nd ride. They let her keep the ring and we hung it up in her room.

Best New Dark Ride

#3 Ye Old Mill at Rye Playland: This ride is very simular to Kennywood's Garfield's Nightmare. It's a boat ride with a troll theme. Actually was a little clever and enjoyable.

#2 Flying Witch at Rye Playland: Rye is all about the dark rides. Flying Witch has the coolest cars that I ever seen on a dark ride. The art work on the building is incredible. The ride itself is your classic dark ride experience.

#1 Zombie Castle at Rye Playland: This is my favorite classic dark ride of all time. The effects are classic, but yet innovative. Its kind of gory, but super cool at the same time. I really liked Zombie Castle.

Best New Flat Ride

#5 xExtreme Frisbee at Canobie Lake Park: This is the best spinning frisbee that I've ridden. It's a Huss, but an inside seating. It just spins like crazy. Only Black Widow at Kennywood would I consider a better frisbee.

#4 Whip at Rye Playland: This Whip is crazy. It's so much better than any whip that I've ridden. It's a classic whip, but ran the way it should be. Actually got a little air time on the whip.

#3 Caterpillar at Canobie Lake Park. It's a Harry Traver classic. I've ridden the other one at Idlewild, but this one is smoother and better maintained. It was great to cross this off my bucket list.

#2 Demon at LaRonde: It a top spin to the extreme level. It inverts, but also spins in way Gladiator Gauntlet did at Busch Gardens. Each arm rotates in a different direction making it the most extreme top spin that I ever ridden.

#1 Bumper Cars at Hoffman's Playland: These are the same model asKnoebles. Knoebles are maintained better and drive better, but these will hit just as hard if not harder. I hope someone buys these bumper cars when the park closes for good at the end of the season.

All in all this was my favorite vacation ever. I saw the Adirondack Mountains in NY, the Green Mountains of Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The White Mountain National Forest is the most beautiful place I ever seen and I've seen The Smokie Mountains and the Ozarks. I got to see and smell the ocean for the first time. We saw the most amazing laser show at Lake Compounce. I got to meet up with Mike (beastmaster) at Rye. It's always a pleasure spending the day with Mike. I got to see New York City for the first time, and we finished the trip with a visit to my very favorite park, Six Flags Great Adventure. It was truly an epic experience.
Thanks for reading,
Ken

Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/30/14 12:21:15 PM
Awesome report, even if not too many surprises for me..since you told me some of your feelings before you got home! And be careful calling Wooden Warrior a "junior" coaster...Jen's bias migh show and she may refuse to ride it if she has the chance. I wish I could ride agian...about 50 times.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/30/14 1:54:01 PM
Thanks Mike. Even though I referred Wooden Warrior and Roar O Saurus as juniors woodies, I have then ranked higher than most of the larger wooden coasters I rode on that trip. I could ride both coasters 50 times and not get tired of them. One thing I didn't mention in the report is Coney Island in Cincinnati. It's a very small park, but it really nice. They have a ride similar to Conneaut's Witches Stew, but theirs is in better condition and runs great. It was a very fun ride. That's the only 2 that I ever seen. Coney Island also has a Rock O Plane, which is pretty rare. They have one galaxi coaster. The Columbus Zoo is one of nicer zoos that I've been to. They have a ride section called Jungle Jacks Landing. In that section is a John Allen junior woodie, simular to the Ghoster Coasters at Kings Island and Kings Dominion. That had flying scooters, but they were down. They also had those neat bumper cars/ hover cars that LaRonde had.
Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/30/14 7:21:12 PM
Great trip report Ken!!Glad you enjoyed Goliath in Montreal. I figured you would like it...lol
Dion
Re: 2014 Coaster Trip by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/30/14 11:18:53 PM
chitlins73 said:

Great trip report Ken!!Glad you enjoyed Goliath in Montreal. I figured you would like it...lol

Thanks Dion. The air time on Goliath just seemed more extreme than the other B&M hypercoasters. It's a really great ride. Even when it began to rain a little harder, they kept Goliath, Vampire, and Dragon open. Dragon was an indoor coaster, similar to Skull Mountain, but with decent theming. The rain was frustrating at times, but it kept the crowds away.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.