Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coaster Chatter

Coaster Chatter

houstondavid houstondavid Profile

Posted:
6/3/14 at
9:19:22 PM

I was just at the ACE Spring Conference. During the Sunday evening ERT, I took five trips on Banshee. On several of them, the train chattered as it traveled through the low points in the course. The worst was back row, right side. And I'm not talking about a little vibration - it felt like I was sitting on a pile driver. It was almost like the train was jumping back and forth between riding on the top wheels and the bottom wheels (though seems unlikely at a point in the track with high positive G's). It actually kinda hurt...

Has anyone else experienced this on Banshee or other invert? There have been many people talking about Banshee and nobody has indicated that this the normal experience. Being the Sunday evening ERT, the ACE crowd was pretty light, so the trains were being dispatched carrying maybe 8-12 people, front row generally filled, and the rest mostly empty. In the case mentioned above, it was me on the right and another gentlemen on the left side, and at least a couple of rows in front of us were empty. I was wondering if the light loading (or maybe the uneven loading) could have resulted in some sort of resonance in the train?

Banshee is a great ride - have to agree with frontrow in the other thread that 'B&M did a great job and built a real winner.' I can't wait to get back to King's Island to ride it again (but I'm going to approach it somewhat tentatively). Unfortunately, it won't be this year (I live in New England).

Thanks,
David

Re: Coaster Chatter by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/4/14 1:26:47 PM
LOL
I thought this thread title was basically mimicking what goes on in here!

Anyway, I have heard similar things about Banshee running rough from a few trusted coaster enthusiast friends. They say it is noticeable in some rows, not all, and in some more than others; and other rows run just like we all want: very smooth.

Mike B.
Re: Coaster Chatter by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/4/14 8:40:12 PM
I felt a shake on Banshee at the bottom of the first drop, but that shake no longer existed after that. The shake was noticeable, but very brief and not bad at all. It wasn't rough or unpleasant. It was very similar to Gatekeeper's rattle. To me it was not an issue, that's why I left it our of trip report.
Re: Coaster Chatter by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/5/14 11:56:01 AM
houstondavid said:

I was just at the ACE Spring Conference. During the Sunday evening ERT, I took five trips on Banshee. On several of them, the train chattered as it traveled through the low points in the course. The worst was back row, right side. And I'm not talking about a little vibration - it felt like I was sitting on a pile driver. It was almost like the train was jumping back and forth between riding on the top wheels and the bottom wheels (though seems unlikely at a point in the track with high positive G's). It actually kinda hurt...

Thanks, David for at least mentioning the ACE Con. We were in Tampa that week and I hadn't heard anything about it. I was beginning to think it had been a non-event.

Yeah, I noticed some vibration on Banshee. I only rode it four times its first week of operation and haven't been back yet. Most of my rides were right side also. I assumed it would eventually wear in a bit... you know, that "sweet spot" between tight new wheels and so worn out and loose that they make the train shake like crazy. It was enough to make the ride a little uncomfortable but didn't ruin the experience.

It will be interesting to see if, over time, Banshee still rides smooth like Montu or becomes rough as Raptor.

Re: Coaster Chatter by scottwhissel at 10/28/14 8:04:28 AM
I am a native to Cincinnati and have a season pass to KI and have ridden Banshee about 2 dozen times this year. Half way through the season I noticed this ride is not very smooth. I just rode last weekend, end of the season, and it's even worse than before. the cars seem to skip up and down and the further back on the train the worse it got. The front is not bad, but I fear this ride is not going to age well. Hopefully it will get better but the noise and vibrations take their toll and unlike other rides I'm not always anxious to get back on it.
Re: Coaster Chatter by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/28/14 5:37:46 PM
My wife and I have been back to KI several times this season and always ride Banshee early on and generally only once. The line is usually fairly short... unusually short for a world class coaster. We always notice a bit of vibration, but it is not enough to spoil the ride. Banshee is thrilling but unfortunately falls short of our expectations compared to other inverts.

As our favorite inverts are Montu and Fire Dragon, we had high hopes for Banshee early on. I had always ranked Raptor at CP far below other inverts, the two favs above, as well as the "honorable mention" inverts such as Alpengeist and Afterburn. Raptor always seemed to me to be rather rough and somewhat lackluster in its pacing. But I returned to CP a couple months ago after a few months of riding Banshee, and was "surprised" that Raptor isn't so bad after all.

I guess everything is relative.