Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Visit to Cedar Point (5/30/2014)

Visit to Cedar Point (5/30/2014)

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
6/3/14 at
11:03:55 AM

Went to Cedar Point last Friday for a few hours and as usual, I enjoyed my time at the park. There were only about 11 rows of cars in the parking lot, which would have been great if the bus lot wasn’t brimming with groups of screaming school children…

I arrived for Early Entry around 9:00 and took a walk-on spin on GateKeeper. I don’t quite get all of the negativity for this ride. Granted it’s not the greatest coaster in the world, but the ride offers a unique experience, has some awesome elements such as the dive off the lift and the two inversions over the main gate, and for some reason, I like the seating arrangement as the visibility in any seat is actually quite good. Put me on the list of GateKeeper fans as I really do enjoy it.

I hightailed it over to Millennium Force and encountered a 15 minute wait. Not sure if it was just me, but the ride felt a bit shaky this year. While the drop is still awesome, the rest of the ride had some serious vibration going on. Since I didn’t buy FastLane (I only planned on staying for a few hours), I only got one ride on MF. I’ll be back for more though…

I put my running legs back in gear as I sped down Frontier Trail towards Maverick where I was greeted with a walk-on. With MF running sort of crappy, Maverick wins the award for best steel coaster in the park. There’s just something about the great mix of airtime, speed, low-to-the-ground twists and the awesome tunnel launch that make Maverick a hit. It’s hard to believe I didn’t really care much for Maverick when it first opened.

At this point it was now 10:00 and the GP were being let in. I decided to try out one of the park’s new rides for 2014, the Lake Erie Eagles. This Larson Flying Scooter runs a pretty fast cycle and despite the warning from the ride op to not “bounce or snap your bird”, I was doing some pretty good twisting and bouncing without really even trying. The ride is a good addition to the Point, however I do have some gripes about it. First, the ride takes way too long to stop. Seriously, I think a minute elapsed before the ride finally stopped once the ride began to slow down. On a low capacity ride, that sort of hurts the hourly capacity. And speaking of which, the fact that the ride op has to unlock each individual seat belt also makes the capacity plummet. While the line was never really long on my visit, on busy summer days, this might be an issue. I did not ride Pipe Scream, the park’s new Zamperla Disk’O Coaster, as I get nauseous on these types of rides. The ride did look nice though and it seems that the GP are loving it. The whole Gemini midway looks far superior to the way it has since the 70’s thanks to the renovations.

Magnum was next as there was no line. Rode in seat 1.2 and fully enjoyed my ride. In my old age, I shy away from any of the .3 seats on Magnum. Those can get a bit brutal!

Top Thrill Dragster had a posted wait time of 30 minutes, so I got in line. 45 minutes later I was climbing aboard. I think the early morning ritual of gradually opening rows on the trains makes for longer lines. In any case, Dragster is what it is. It’s an amazing rush every time, but the ride itself really isn’t something I should be waiting in a 45 minute line for.

I decided to take a chance and ride WindSeeker since I didn’t ride last season. This is another ride that a lot of people aren’t big fans of, but I seem to enjoy. The view is simply spectacular whirling around at 300 feet, and the added touch of having the music elevate with the carriage makes for a fun and relaxing ride.

I took a stroll through Dinosaurs Alive this season as Platinum Passholders get free admission. All I will say is that I am glad I didn’t pay $6 to see this.

I also rode Cedar Downs as I always do and took the Sky Ride from the Corkscrew end of the midway to the front as my legs were killing me after making 2 full laps around the park. It sucks getting old as I used to be able to run around this park 5 or 6 times in the course of a day.

Overall, it was a nice few hours at the park and I look forward to going back sometime soon. As is routine now in my TR’s, here is a video from my visit. I’m starting to like my new video camera as the image stabilization really makes a big difference. I mean, if you go back to my 2011-2012 videos, they look like I’m having a seizure compared to my recent additions!

Thanks as always for reading.

Re: Visit to Cedar Point (5/30/2014) by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 6/3/14 11:45:41 AM
Another great TR from Ray. With that P-Pass what other parks are you hitting this season? (Nice Video)

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Visit to Cedar Point (5/30/2014) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/3/14 12:47:49 PM
Nice TR and video Ray. I love Cedar Point. Glad you enjoyed Gatekeeper. I know what you mean about the unlimited point of view. That's why I love the wing riders so much. You can see everything in any seat. Maverick is a coaster that grows on me every time I ride it. It didn't care much for it either in 2007, but it has become my 2nd favorite coaster at CP. Last year MF was running the best I ever seen it, but we only got one ride, which was in the back seat of the red train. Its a shame to hear its developed a shake. Hopefully it was just the train you were on. CP does a great job maintaining their coasters, so I'm sure they will fix that problem.
Re: Visit to Cedar Point (5/30/2014) by drachen drachen Profile at 6/3/14 1:32:12 PM
Great job once again Ray! And thanks for taking time out of your day to film, especially with your limited time. That turned out to be one of your best videos.

I don't know whether you did it on purpose or not, but I like how in just about every shot of a flat ride, there is a coaster train moving in the background. It's a great example of the constant action and excitement there is at Cedar Point.

Well done!

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Visit to Cedar Point (5/30/2014) by ray_p ray_p Profile at 6/3/14 2:42:51 PM
Kevin Reid said:

Another great TR from Ray. With that P-Pass what other parks are you hitting this season? (Nice Video)

Thanks Kevin. I am definitely hitting Kings Island (probably in the fall) to ride Banshee and am kicking around the idea of visiting Canada’s Wonderland to check out Wonder Mountain’s Guardian. Since I recently learned how the 407 ETR works in southern Ontario and that there is an exit near CW, I don’t seem as apprehensive about sitting at a standstill on the QEW/Gardiner between Hamilton and Toronto for no apparent reason. The $23 toll each way is a bit steep, but if that means less traffic, I’m all for it!

Frontrow said:

Its a shame to hear its developed a shake. Hopefully it was just the train you were on. CP does a great job maintaining their coasters, so I'm sure they will fix that problem.

Frontrow, I agree that CP maintains their rides pretty well and I’m sure this was just an isolated thing. If anyone else goes and rides the yellow train, feel free to let me know how the ride was because that was the one I thought was a bit shaky. Looking forward to my night rides during HalloWeekends as those are quite possibly some of the best rides on any coaster anywhere!

Frontrow said:

Great job once again Ray! And thanks for taking time out of your day to film, especially with your limited time. That turned out to be one of your best videos.
I don't know whether you did it on purpose or not, but I like how in just about every shot of a flat ride, there is a coaster train moving in the background. It's a great example of the constant action and excitement there is at Cedar Point.

As always drachen, thanks for the kind words. Believe it or not, the main reason I went was to shoot the video. I figured I’d go on a few rides and then make a lap around the park with the camera.

And as far as the coasters being in a lot of the non-coaster shots, that was sort of intentional. ;) It gets harder to find new angles to film the rides from, so I started to try a few new things. My favorite shot- albeit very brief- is of Raptor going through the inline twist. I just like the way that turned out. And as you said, just about anywhere you look at Cedar Point, you run into coaster track!

Again, thanks to everyone for reading and the compliments.

Re: Visit to Cedar Point (5/30/2014) by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/4/14 1:55:14 PM
I'm getting tired of saying this:
Great stuff, Ray.
;-)

I could use that video to show Liz: "See? That's what that place called Cedar Point is like!"
Then again, she would just look skyward with raised eyebrows (you know, the look).

Mike B.