Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th

Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th

alpengeistno3

Posted:
6/2/14 at
8:52:26 PM

Looks like Six Flags is on a roll now. Wooden coasters, beware!!

(can't post the picture, but here is the link.)

"Iron" Colossus or another lush, green pathway?

Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by drachen drachen Profile at 6/3/14 10:36:53 AM
I'll vote for 'Iron Colossus'.

I hate seeing any traditional wooden coaster go - especially one of Colossus's historical significance.

But let's face it, the ride is a shell of its former self. I'm sure the re-work will be very successful.

I'm 60%-40% in favor of the move.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by alpengeistno3 at 6/3/14 9:23:17 PM
drachen said:

I'll vote for 'Iron Colossus'.

I hate seeing any traditional wooden coaster go - especially one of Colossus's historical significance.

But let's face it, the ride is a shell of its former self. I'm sure the re-work will be very successful.

I'm 60%-40% in favor of the move.

I agree with you (though I don't recall asking for a vote.) Colossus was picked for a reason. It may not have been as dire as RT, but SF has definitely bought into a trend. I don't think SFGradv tore RT down just to make a pathway out of it as well. Something is coming there as well and it is probably going to be another RMC (Six Flags seems to be in mad love with them now.)

They have yet to tear down a coaster that was not without problems (wasn't Mexico Medusa just as trouble ridden as TG and Rattler?). Regardless of nostalgia, you can't argue with replacing an unpopular ride with a great one.

The question is (in my best Bill Goldberg voice), "Who's Next?"

Paul

Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/3/14 9:38:52 PM
Sadly, outside of the support structure there is little left of the original Colossus. Most of it is I-beams and other such "improvements" from over the years where it's a pale, sad shadow of what it once way.

Not sure how I feel about this "rebuild"- personally I would have much rather seen it and Revolution get some major restoration work instead. Really what this is is the closure and removal of what was at one time a great classic coaster to be leveled and replaced with something else. Really mixed feelings about that as I love the old Colossus.

Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/4/14 3:15:19 AM
I rode it today and was reminded that it won't be missed.

Colossus started dying in the late 70s and officially died between 1991 and 1993!

Unfortunately, Magic Mountain really doesn't need any more roller coasters. The park has too many.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/7/14 7:42:19 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

The park has too many.

SFMM can't EVER have too many coasters! :)

Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by John_Knotts John_Knotts Profile at 6/8/14 1:28:22 PM
Especially is we're actually talking possible airtime!
Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 6/9/14 3:33:42 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Unfortunately, Magic Mountain really doesn't need any more roller coasters. The park has too many.

I agree even though that's coming from someone who lives near another mega coaster filled park that just got one last year.

I don't see a total removal of Colossus but something like Rattler and Texas Giant where it just gets reprofiled and the layout altered to include overbanks and inversions.

G-Dog

Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/9/14 4:45:59 PM
The problem I have with Magic Mountain is that they don't have any really great roller coasters. I guess we can hope that the Colossus retrofit will finally give them a great ride.
Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/9/14 7:25:11 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

The problem I have with Magic Mountain is that they don't have any really great roller coasters. I guess we can hope that the Colossus retrofit will finally give them a great ride.

I don't know Eric- that may be partially because you've been on them so much that you've become a bit jaded. Either that or I'm just wierd (wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of that).

it's been a few years since I've been on it, but for me X2 still rates as one of the best out there, and Goliath is a great coaster in my mind. Colossus used to be- and could be again. And Riddler's Revenge I'd put as the best stand up out there- and a great ride. Batman of course is Batman.

Most parks would be jealous of a collection of "not great" coasters like those.

Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/9/14 10:21:45 PM
It's been nearly five years since I last visited Magic Mountain.

You can read my trip report-

Six Flags Magic Mountain TR - June 3, 2014

The collection of roller coasters is weak.

Re: Another one bites the dust: Colossus being removed Aug 16th by KA107 at 6/24/14 11:21:23 PM
I love colossus, but lets face it, the closest thing in the six flags chain is judge roy scream.
It is low useage, hard to get to, and has no merchandise-ability.
Aside from scream, there is nothing else in that part of the park.
They can keep up their precious coaster count with more baby cheap coasters like the up coming 20 ft tall speedy Gonzalez -even though its like building a dog house and calling it a mansion.

I see six flags relocating the entrance to the park, and filling the area with shops and other money grubbing stuff.

Look for another crappy kid coaster in an expanded looney toons area, an expansion to the water park, and for apokolypse to get the rocky mountain in the next 2 years.

I love six flags, but come on. Magic mountain has coasters, and thats about it.

Out of the ADULT rides you have 15 coasters, 5 other rides 3 water rides a tower and a carrousel

Cedar point is at 15 coasters, 25 other rides 3 water rides, 2 carrousels.

I am so ready for six flags to pull out that rebel spirit of angus g wynne, stop with all the crappy shops and skill games, and drop in a new midway thru the existing walk to colossus.

P.s. if you're wondering what all the dirt work next to the parking toll both is, that's rumored to be a hotel.

Dr. K.

* This post was modified at 6/25/14 12:29:08 AM *