Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > KI Flight of Fear fire

KI Flight of Fear fire

alpengeistno3

Posted:
6/2/14 at
8:46:30 PM

Looks like trouble in Mason today. Wonder if I can expect KD's to be open this weekend due to an "investigation"? They just had to throw in a line about SOB. Imagine if they got ahold of Ken's lapbar from the Racer last year?

Paul

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/warren-county/mason/report-kings-island-flight-of-fear-indoor-roller-coaster-catches-fire?DSFGSDG

MASON, Ohio -- Fire crews responded to Kings Island's indoor roller coaster Flight of Fear Monday afternoon.

Mason's fire department responded to a call from the amusement park at about 2:45p.m., Mason dispatchers said.

Once at the park, firefighters found that an electric motor within the ride's housing was smoking. Eighteen people were exposed to the thick smoke, according to Mason's fire department. Two people were treated on scene but not taken to hospitals.

Once the engine was turned off the motor quit smoking, Mason fire fighters said.

Hayley Ashcraft is a student of Union, Kentucky, who spent Monday afternoon at Kings Island for a school field trip. She and some friends rode Flight of Fear just before they closed the ride down.

"While we are on it, it smelled like gas and we couldn’t ... we couldn’t breathe so we just held our breaths the whole time," Ashcraft said. "It smelled like burning rubber. It was like a gas smell."

"It (the ride) just smelled really bad. I didn’t really know what was going on. It was kind of scary I guess."

Once the ride was over, she stayed at the park but went to ride a nearby ride. She said the fire department showed up about five minutes after she rode Flight of Fear.

"Then we went back just to see what was going when the fire trucks came and we realized that they were going to Flight of Fear," she said. "And then we went back there a few minutes later and realized that it was shut down. We just wanted to see what was going on."

Ashcraft will go back to Kings Island despite Monday's mishap, she told WCPO digital reporter Taylor Mirfendereski.

"It didn’t scare me that bad, but it was just weird that it happened because I didn’t think that something like that would happen," she said.

Flight of Fear is located near the Racer wooden roller coaster in the Coney Island section of the amusement park. It was built in 1996 as the Outer Limits: Flight of Fear coaster and re-named just Flight of Fear in 2006.

Ambulances and stretchers could be seen near the coaster on Monday, with Kings Island staff directing visitors to the park away from the ride.

For a brief period of time the adjacent FireHawk roller coaster was shut down. That ride reopened at about 3:40 p.m.

Re: KI Flight of Fear fire by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 6/9/14 5:12:38 PM
Surprisingly, Flight of Fear is already open again; it was open as of last Thursday (the 5th of June) which was just after the fire was reported.

Regards,

Michael W.

Michael W.
238: 64 (20 CCI/GG) / 173
Voyage / Eurosat
R.I.P.: Riverside Cyclone...
Re: KI Flight of Fear fire by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/9/14 7:20:05 PM
The state inspector was there the morning after the fire and the ride opened immediately.
Re: KI Flight of Fear fire by d-lo775 d-lo775 Profile at 6/14/14 12:03:58 PM
Smoke seen coming from the FoF building again today, 6/14/2014.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2014/06/14/fire-reported-at-kings-islands-flight-of-fear/10518881/