Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > HERCULES @ Dorney Park.

HERCULES @ Dorney Park.

joe(PCW)

Posted:
4/4/00 at
11:50:21 PM

Hi, I have never been to Dorney, but I do have a thrillride book that shows the HERCULES coaster. The picture is of the giant drop it has. Also states that it has the tallest drop of any woodie(at least until SOB). What I want to know is what is so bad about this coaster. I hear such bad things about it and I cant imagine what can be so awful about this ride. The picture looks cool. But I guess it is bad if so many people think so. But can someone tell me why? is it the layout? speed?

thanx.

joe(PCW)

Re: HERCULES @ Dorney Park. by Fred at 4/5/00 12:08:56 AM

> Hi, I have never been to Dorney, but I do
> have a thrillride book that shows the
> HERCULES coaster. The picture is of the
> giant drop it has. Also states that it has
> the tallest drop of any woodie(at least
> until SOB). What I want to know is what is
> so bad about this coaster. I hear such bad
> things about it and I cant imagine what can
> be so awful about this ride. The picture
> looks cool. But I guess it is bad if so many
> people think so. But can someone tell me
> why? is it the layout? speed? thanx.
> joe(PCW)

Everything......is BAD about Hercules. The speed, the pacing, the layout, the roughness. Hercules gets my vote for the worst wooden coaster. Remember, I HAVE been on the Grizzly at PGA. Hercules, is not only head-ache inducing, but it also bangs your knees! It was the only coaster I almost fell asleep while riding. There are some moments when I seems like the train won't make it over the hill. I was thinking like "I think I can, I think I can..." AND this coaster runs on square wheels. If I were to grade this coaster it would get a D-

FRED

Re: LOL!! by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/5/00 12:33:56 AM

Everything......is BAD about Hercules. The
> speed, the pacing, the layout, the
> roughness. Hercules gets my vote for the
> worst wooden coaster. Remember, I HAVE been
> on the Grizzly at PGA. Hercules, is not only
> head-ache inducing, but it also bangs your
> knees! It was the only coaster I almost fell
> asleep while riding. There are some moments
> when I seems like the train won't make it
> over the hill. I was thinking like "I
> think I can, I think I can..." AND this
> coaster runs on square wheels. If I were to
> grade this coaster it would get a D- FRED

_______

Yes, the "I think I can, I think I can.." analogy is hilarious and true. Among the many faults of Hercules that were the worst to me was the pacing. The only appropriate way to say it is that Hercules' pacing is WACK. Fast, slow, slower, somewhat faster, slower -- as Sienfeld would say, "What's the deal?!"

And even the first drop isn't all of that. I did like the first turn taken at high speeds however. But after that first turn you get a ride with no pacing, virtually no airtime or lateral g's. I was thinking while riding it that I wish I were IN LINE for Laser or Steel Force. --K

Re: HERCULES @ Dorney Park. by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/5/00 12:53:03 AM

It is a shame because I remember back to around 90, year that is, not age gang, when I first rode it. It was an awesome coaster with a kick-#$% ending. It was great but then the brakes arrived. They put som many brakes on it is broke and was never as rough as it is now. I absoultely refuse to ride it now. Hate what was done and the memory of a Great Coaster should not be tarnished.

Ed

Everything Fred Said! (NM) by Jersey Joe at 4/5/00 1:51:48 AM

Everything......is BAD about Hercules. The
> speed, the pacing, the layout, the
> roughness. Hercules gets my vote for the
> worst wooden coaster. Remember, I HAVE been
> on the Grizzly at PGA. Hercules, is not only
> head-ache inducing, but it also bangs your
> knees! It was the only coaster I almost fell
> asleep while riding. There are some moments
> when I seems like the train won't make it
> over the hill. I was thinking like "I
> think I can, I think I can..." AND this
> coaster runs on square wheels. If I were to
> grade this coaster it would get a D- FRED

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Why Herc's so bad by Cal at 4/5/00 6:26:56 AM

The big problem is the ride was badly designed to start out with. It has this huge, awesome drop which goes straight into a turn over the lake. Because of the speed generated by the drop, the trains were whipping through that turn way too fast and putting a lot of stress on the structure so the management slapped not one but two big trims on the drop. Trouble was, with the reduced speed, the train could no longer make it up the second hill so they had to reduce its height, which led to a load of other problems with pacing and so forth. On top of that, it does have square wheels. IMHO, they should pull it down and start again.

Cal

Re: Why Herc's so bad, and how to fix it by Chris at 4/5/00 9:03:42 AM

> The big problem is the ride was badly
> designed to start out with. It has this
> huge, awesome drop which goes straight into
> a turn over the lake. Because of the speed
> generated by the drop, the trains were
> whipping through that turn way too fast and
> putting a lot of stress on the structure so
> the management slapped not one but two big
> trims on the drop. Trouble was, with the
> reduced speed, the train could no longer
> make it up the second hill so they had to
> reduce its height, which led to a load of
> other problems with pacing and so forth. On
> top of that, it does have square wheels.
> IMHO, they should pull it down and start
> again. Cal

I rode Hercules the year it opened and it was an awesome ride. It flew through its course. IMO the problem with the ride could have been easy to fix. Unfortunately, Dorney didn't fix the trouble spot on the ride. Instead they opted to slow it down and lower the hill after the turn. They should have reprofiled the turn over the water making it a high turnaround. The turn would be taken slower easing the stress on the structure and the drop out of the turn would generate good speed for the rest of the ride. Chris.

Re: HERCULES @ Dorney Park. by Flare at 4/5/00 11:42:02 AM

I haven't read what others replied but my take:

First drop is definitively cool, imo...albeit what i term to be on HECK of a *Filling Loosener*...

It's really, really rough hitting the turn on the water after the 1st turn, but for me, i find it exhilerating. Many others hate it...lol...

The down fall is the entire 2nd half of the ride...slow...uneventful...uninspiring waste of vertical space...HORRIBLE finish...all in all an absolute disappointment after a 1st drop that is quite intense...ohh...yes..and trims...BLAH BLAH...lol... I could go on...but i won't...

Dorney's still a great park though...*Thunderhawk* is actually a really decent woodie...and who could naysay *Steel Force*... one the best hypers out there, still, imo.. :-)

Dave

Mistake in type by Flare at 4/5/00 11:45:39 AM

ONE HECK of a *Filling Loosener*... It's really, really rough hitting the turn on the water after the 1st drop, but for me, i find it exhilerating.

Typo fixes...UGH...sorry

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.