Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Roar-O-Saurus at Story Land (NH)

Roar-O-Saurus at Story Land (NH)

MABrider MABrider Profile

Posted:
5/29/14 at
1:03:50 PM

Last Friday, May 23 was the day before Story Land in Glen, NH opened the 2014 season.

I attended a very low key media day that was held for their new woodie, Roar-O-Saurus. With only four media folk (who hardly rode), and 18 ACErs, we all experienced ERT nirvana.

Roar-O-Saurus is the new Gravity Group / Gravitykraft creation. The other one a lot of us are familiar with is Wooden Warrior at Quassy in CT.

If you like Wooden Warrior, you will love Roar-O-Saurus.
The two are much different, except on the stat sheet.
Whereas WW is an L-shaped out and back, all stretched out, Roar-O-Saurus is all wrapped around and traverses over and under itself, very "busy" (Cyclone style).

"Roar-y" looks great as you walk up to it, as what you first notice is the structure and the turnaround at the top of the lift hill that leads to the first drop. First thought is it looks bigger/taller than it is, there is a lot packed into a small footprint.

You can see the entire ride from the station.

The ride provides multiple moments of into-the-restraint airtime (one occurs inside a tunnel); front is more abrupt, back is more floaty.
It has great laterals as it takes its corners at a quick pace and also has some very quick transitions (direction changes).

In general, the punch Roar-O-Saurus packs is way more than one would expect on a small coaster.
It is pure fun, and I bet it will be a huge hit.

BTW, they have animatronic dinosaurs at the coaster, which were working. One was one of those you can picture with a large body and long neck...tree height. It was actually chomping on a tree. A real live tree. Good stuff.

Mike B.
Re: Roar-O-Saurus at Story Land (NH) Photo by drachen drachen Profile at 5/29/14 3:12:23 PM
Awesome stuff, Mike. Great to hear. I want, so very much, to get up there this summer. I'm glad you think it's such a great ride - it sounds like it does exactly what I hoped it would do.

Photo is from Story Land's Facebook page...

User Submitted Picture
drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Roar-O-Saurus at Story Land (NH) by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/29/14 3:51:52 PM
drachen said:

Awesome stuff, Mike. Great to hear. I want, so very much, to get up there this summer. I'm glad you think it's such a great ride - it sounds like it does exactly what I hoped it would do.

Photo is from Story Land's Facebook page...

We all had the same anticipatory hopes...and it sure delivered.

That's a nice photo.
Those people on the right are at the outer edge, and the line snakes under/through the structure and then up to the station, so everyone can see the train whizzing by. Somewhere in the middle is the attendant with the measuring stick (42" height requirement).

Mike B.
Re: Roar-O-Saurus at Story Land (NH) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/29/14 9:02:44 PM
Thanks for posting this. We are doing a trip in July that includes all of New England, Great Escape, and LaRonde. I'm highly anticipating Roar O Saurus. It's good to hear that they have it up and running and it's delivering a great ride. All the kids and I have been talking about is this trip. Out of the 10 parks on our list, 7 of them will be new to us. It's a trip we've talked about making for the last couple years. I'm glad we waited until this coaster was built.
Re: Roar-O-Saurus at Story Land (NH) by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/11/14 9:17:32 PM
Nice POV, really captures the essence of the ride:

Roar-O-Saurus POV

Mike B.
Re: Roar-O-Saurus at Story Land (NH) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/26/14 4:02:09 AM
Rode Roar O Saurus about a week and a half ago. We did a mutipark day, so we only visited Storyland in its first few hours. Ended up with 5 rides on it. Rode in every row except row #3. I liked the front the best. The trains are just not long enough for the back seat to make much of a difference. I thought the ride was very solid, especially for its size. After the tunnel that is midway through the ride, the coaster really comes to life, providing great air time and some nice laterals. The pacing was great. The coaster really never did lose momentum until the brakes.

We also rode Wooden Warrior for the first time a few days later. Once again we had a mutipark day, so we only got 6 rides on Wooden Warrior. Rode every row except row #3. I liked the front seat on WW also. For me, WW was the opposite. The beginning was great, before you entered the tunnel, but after that the train really lost momentum and there was very little air time.

My daughter loved Wooden Warrior and ranks it above Roar O Saurus. My son and I liked Roar O Saurus just a little more than Wooden Warrior. Both are really good coasters and pack a big punch for smaller coasters. The view from Roar O Saurus is beautiful. I've been throughout most of the country and the White Mountains of New Hampshire is the most beautiful place that I ever seen. Also, the trains on Roar O Saurus look spectacular, they really put a ton of detail into that front car. All in all riding both coasters was a great experience. Has anyone else ridden these 2 coasters? Just curious to read other opinions.