Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SFGAM ideas for 2001?

SFGAM ideas for 2001?

Jeff C.

Posted:
4/4/00 at
11:10:42 PM

Forget all the stupid rumors...I wanna know what SFGAM is REALLY getting for its 25th anniversary! Possibilities: -Joker's Jinx/Poltergeist -"River Beast" or whatever it was called. -Eagle's Revenge, obviously isn't happening. -Iron Wolf removed, larger stand-up in it's place. -Shockwave removed, who knows what in it's place. -Sky Whirl removed, who knows what in it's place. -Whizzer removed, I kinda hope so.....

*These are the most popular rumors floating around as of now....anyone have any confidence in any of these...Jeff T, I wanna hear from you, your usually right in these cases.

Thanks -Jeff C.-

Re: SFGAM ideas for 2001? (long) by MrDan at 4/5/00 3:07:41 AM

> Forget all the stupid rumors...I wanna know
> what SFGAM is REALLY getting for its 25th
> anniversary!

Obviously, nobody knows but I'll throw my ideas in here again...

> Possibilities: -Joker's
> Jinx/Poltergeist -"River Beast" or
> whatever it was called.

If you see either Loggers Run or the Yankee Clipper being removed, expect a LIM roller coaster to go into it's place. I don't think that Great America wants to give up such a popular ride so I doubt this will happen greatly.

> -Eagle's Revenge,
> obviously isn't happening.

Thank GOD! I really would've been annoyed if they changed my favorite woodie in any way.

> -Iron Wolf
> removed, larger stand-up in it's place.

No way. Iron Wolf is getting it's trains redone this year. That's not something they would've done if they were planning on replacing it any time soon. On top of that, I think that SFGAm likes to lay claim to the first ever B&M, so I think that roller coaster has a long life ahead of it.

> -Shockwave removed, who knows what in it's
> place.

I tend to believe that Shockwave is on the chopping block because of it's record of low ridership. The attempt at solving it last year didn't work, so I don't think it's chances are any better.

On the last day of the season, it ran the smoothest that it ever has. I don't know what it was, but it had a huge line even running all three trains. If it runs that smooth again this year, I think they'll reconsider removing it because it will be popular... I hope it's like it was. It was one of the most enjoyable rides I had in all of last year, but it didn't make up for the first 10 rides I had on it :(

> -Sky Whirl removed, who knows what in
> it's place.

While Sky Whirl is a historic ride, it is also the only ride that has ever made me throw up. On top of that, parts aren't made for it anymore and it's capacity isn't huge, so I think that it is possible for a removal, but not for a few years yet.

> -Whizzer removed, I kinda hope
> so.....

I think that SFGAm realizes that if they remove the Whizzer, they have no "intermediate" roller coaster. The Whizzer is the parks 'mine train' and gives kids that are big enough to get past Spacelys Sprocket Rockets something to try out before they have to get on Viper or whatever. It is also a lot less threatening then Raging Bull, the park's only other major non looping steelie. I hope that it sticks around for a long time, and if it doesn't, they better get a mine train or something to replace it.

>*These are the most popular rumors
> floating around as of now....anyone have any
> confidence in any of these...

Nope. I figure that the next major attraction will either be a new roller coaster, but I don't think that Great America will be removing anything to build it. I personally think there is some prime property behind Roaring Rapids and the Employee Parking Lot that could have a few nice coasters. There is also a decent sized space by the Eagle, but that would require an interesting routing scheme to get there...

Now, we'll see how correct I am with this - I think that SFGAm will be getting a new roller coaster next year. It will have inversions, and it will either replace Shockwave or get put back behind the water rides. The area around Batman is almost strangely coaster-less and I believe they'll get something there. While I do believe that the coaster will have inversions, I also believe it won't be standard. I don't expect a flying roller coaster, but there are a lot of other things that could go in there...

I suppose we'll have to find out.

dan

Re: SFGAM ideas for 2001? (long) by Chris at 4/5/00 10:16:24 AM

Thought I would add my 2 cents, I dont see SFGAm removing anything real soon. If you were on the sky trek tower last year and listened to the recording on the PA they said something like "Roller coastr capital" or something like that. They have plenty of land and even 135 acres across the freeway. Could you imagine the possibilities if the parking lot was on the other side of the freeway with a monorail connecting the park and the parking lot? We are talking some serious acreage for coasters. Sky wirl, I hope it doesnt go anywhere, its an original mariots ride. Shockwave, why remove it? The only time its not a long wait is during the week, the weekends you better be prepaired to wait. As far as the Eagle goes you said "I would hate to see my fav. woodie changed in ANY way" Myself I would kill all the brakes ald let that bad boy run. ride it after a downpour and you will kinda get a sence of how cool it could be. Any thoughts?

What doesn't SFGAm have? by Riverview Mike at 4/5/00 12:30:50 PM

There are at least 3 major areas that SFGAm does not have:

1. A LIM or TA2K

Whether a Superman type, OL:FOF, TA2K or

Mr. Freeze, we haven't had a launched

since they removed Tidal Wave.

2.A big dark ride

Kill 2 birds with one stone and build a

OF;FOF or maybe something like Exterminator.

3. Hurricane Harbor

Look what it has done for SFSTL. I really hope that there are no removals especially modern "classics" like Sky Whirl and Whizzer.

Re: SFGAM ideas for 2001? (long) by MrDan at 4/5/00 1:29:00 PM

> "Roller coaster capital

I remember that too, but just because they say that doesn't mean they won't remove anything.

> Shockwave, why remove it? The only time its
> not a long wait is during the week, the
> weekends you better be prepaired to wait.

I went to Great America about 15 times last year including 4 Fright Fest and the only time I had to wait more then 5 minutes was closing day.

> As
> far as the Eagle goes you said "I would
> hate to see my fav. woodie changed in ANY
> way" Myself I would kill all the brakes
> ald let that bad boy run. ride it after a
> downpour and you will kinda get a sense of
> how cool it could be. Any thoughts?

Okay, I mistyped what I meant. I mean if they were to change the Eagle into the "Eagle's Revenge" which was some stupid rumor to make it into a steel tracked coaster, I'd be ticked. Removing the brakes wouldn't change it, just restore it.

dan

Re: SFGAM ideas for 2001? by Confused at 4/5/00 2:32:48 PM

I would have to agree with you, I don't think Iron Wolf is going anywhere. They do have some land to work with yet, and I hate to see anything go. Here is the thing, there are several types of coasters that they don't have. One is a launched coaster, low capasity might hurt this ride being built. Another is dueling coasters, this could really do something for the park. A final type that would be great for the park is a really good floor-less, this would give the park four B&Ms the highest among any park in the world. I would have to say the last of the three is almost the best choice, because of B&Ms past with the park. The park has the first B&M standup, inverted, and Hyper(shared with AC at BGW). I wouldn't doubt that they would try and knock out all three items with one stone. A dueling hulk-style coaster with floor-less trains (hey,I can hope that it will happen).

Confused