Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger

Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
5/6/14 at
9:25:11 AM

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/two-injured-on-dorney-parks-stinger-coaster/25822034

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger by alpengeistno3 at 5/6/14 6:52:18 PM
Didn't this ride have that EXACT issue in California?

Paul

Re: Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/6/14 9:59:56 PM
How exactly would that rollback cause any injuries though? It's not like they're upside-down or anything like that. The track is designed to fly though that station anyway. A whiplash-like abrupt stop at the station perphaps? Otherwise this sounds like a Cha-Ching! situation here.

* This post was modified at 5/6/14 10:02:54 PM *

Re: Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger by antikythera antikythera Profile at 5/7/14 12:39:42 AM
Overbanked said:

How exactly would that rollback cause any injuries though? It's not like they're upside-down or anything like that. The track is designed to fly though that station anyway. A whiplash-like abrupt stop at the station perphaps? Otherwise this sounds like a Cha-Ching! situation here.

I've seen quite a few dangerous breakdowns on its ill fated (well, I guess not since it's now overseas) quadruplet, Two Face. One of them occurred when it didn't catch/brake when it came back through the station. It came roaring back down and the emergency stop was applied. People on the far end were stuck halfway up the boomerang. No one was hurt, but it was a really harsh stop that I'm sure caused some minor whiplash for the rest of the day.

In my opinion, none of the four invertigo coasters are really reliable. Vekoma has its good moments and its bad ones. These fall in the latter, unfortunately.

* This post was modified at 5/7/14 12:41:35 AM *

Re: Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/7/14 1:10:13 AM
antikythera said:

Overbanked said:

I've seen quite a few dangerous breakdowns on its ill fated (well, I guess not since it's now overseas) quadruplet, Two Face. One of them occurred when it didn't catch/brake when it came back through the station. It came roaring back down and the emergency stop was applied. People on the far end were stuck halfway up the boomerang. No one was hurt, but it was a really harsh stop that I'm sure caused some minor whiplash for the rest of the day.

In my opinion, none of the four invertigo coasters are really reliable. Vekoma has its good moments and its bad ones. These fall in the latter, unfortunately.

I've ridden the one at Kings Island, the one at SF America, and the one at Dorney. Where is the 4th one located?

Re: Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger by drachen drachen Profile at 5/7/14 2:41:06 PM
frontrow said:

I've ridden the one at Kings Island, the one at SF America, and the one at Dorney. Where is the 4th one located?

One opened at Liseberg in Sweden. It's since been relocated too. In fact, only Kings Islands is in its original location.

And I, for one, am a big fan of these rides. Very smooth and very fun, especially if you get the back row facing backwards.

RCDB - Invertigos in Operation

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger by alpengeistno3 at 5/7/14 10:50:35 PM
Overbanked said:

The station brakes remain closed until the catch car has hauled the train all the way to the top of the lift. If the train should disengage early, the brakes will stop it from going into the cobra roll (and valleying, if there is not enough speed clear the second loop. Those stairs on some boomerangs are NOT for decoration :)

A hard stop never killed anyone, but I can see some people feeling a little sore from coming to an unexpected stop from near the height of the lift. What is that, 60 mph? Have to assume 40-50 for the brakes to still be engaged.

Paul

* This post was modified at 5/8/14 7:08:24 PM *

Re: Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 5/10/14 4:21:36 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

The station brakes remain closed until the catch car has hauled the train all the way to the top of the lift. If the train should disengage early, the brakes will stop it from going into the cobra roll (and valleying, if there is not enough speed clear the second loop. Those stairs on some boomerangs are NOT for decoration :)

I'm truly surprised that Trimper's Boomerang, the Tidal Wave, doesn't have the stairs. When the park purchased the Boomerang in '86, Tidal Wave didn't fit into it's footprint. Sections of the lifts were removed from the top of the ride as they hung over the street and sidewalk, city property. I'd think for sure that the ride would valley often in the cobra roll.

I'm not a fan of the Vekoma Invertigos. I've only been on Two Face and whatever it is called at KI. I was on the first ride of Two Face when it opened in 1999. There was no fanfare as the coaster was about three weeks behind schedule. I wrote a TR about it and not sure if it could be found through the search feature (it only goes back to March 2000).

I've always thought that the Invertigo's were rough. I've never been on the Giant Invertigos so my experience with Invertigos has mostly been with Two Face.

I'm not a big fan of heights and going up one of the two lifts slammed against my OTSR just isn't fun for me. Two Face was rough as hell, similar to any Premier Spaghetti Bowl pre-lap bars. A "once a year is enough for me" coaster. That's how I feel about Batwing, KD's Hurler, HW's Legend, DL's Predator, and any kind of coaster that's a tight fit for a large man with sudden dead stops, ala most mine trains. I'm fine with PTC's so long as I'm not stapled in them.

I'd take Laser back any day and ship the two inverted coasters to another park. I haven't been on Stinger yet. I need to get up there and hit Knoebel's too for FT, probably next year when they open their new coaster.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 5/10/14 8:33:50 PM
frontrow said:

There was one at Paramount's Great America in California. Not sure where that one ended up as it's not there now. When I got a chance to ride it I loved it. But unfortunately none of the versions of the boomerang style rides have been real reliable.

Re: Two Sent To Hospital After Rollback On Dorney's Stinger by alpengeistno3 at 5/11/14 3:38:05 AM
SirWillow said:

frontrow said:

There was one at Paramount's Great America in California. Not sure where that one ended up as it's not there now. When I got a chance to ride it I loved it. But unfortunately none of the versions of the boomerang style rides have been real reliable.

Stinger is the coaster fka "Invertigo" from PGA. I think the big problem with the invertigos/Giant Boomerangs is that there are too many moving parts compared to the classic boomerang. On the classic boomerang, the catch car simply hauls the train to the top of the 1st drop then remains there until the ride is parked by the station brakes. On the new ones, the catch car must sync up with the fin of the next to last car in motion on the last spike to lower it into the station. It seems like an unnecessary extra step that seems to cause faults when it is not precisely lined up. I don't know what Vekoma saw as the flaw with their old system, but it seems the technology is still not quite there for absolutely reliable operation of their current models (I never witnessed a problem on Stinger, Two Face or Face Off, but the reports of their frequent downtime seems to indicate a recurring issue.)

Paul