Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Fun Article About The Beast

Fun Article About The Beast

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
5/4/14 at
4:41:43 PM

I'm sure some of us had these feelings as a kid...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/04/magazine/the-monster-of-kings-island.html?_r=0

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Fun Article About The Beast by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/4/14 5:54:29 PM
Thanks, Mike... fun read. But it's kinda hard for me to relate to someone whose first ride on the Beast was as a kid. I was nearly 30 when I saw the opening of the Beast on the news. That summer, an army buddy stopped by my place on a cross country bike ride (ala Easy Rider... nobody rode bicycles those days).

A little background: when I visited him in LA he asked what I wanted to do while I was there and I said "I want to go to Disneyland". I grew up watching Disney on TV. It was a big deal. All we had here was Coney Island.

But he just said "no, you don't want to go to Disneyland" (to this day, I never have). So when he visited me and asked what there was to do around here, I told him that a nearby park had just opened the "Biggest, Baddest, Longest, Fastest Roller Coaster in the world" and he said "let's go!"

I had been to King's Island only once before (they had moved from Coney and I never forgave them for it). So we stood in line for three hours, rode that Beast, then we got off and got right back in line again. In all we rode it four times that day, and we didn't ride or do anything else.

I never really became enthralled with KI until after we had kids and started taking them to parks, starting with BGT, then WDW, and finally KI. My friend from LA passed away four years ago. I cannot ride the Beast without thinking of him.

Re: Fun Article About The Beast by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/5/14 9:05:49 AM
Cool article.

Also RobLec, sorry to hear about your friend. I can't imagine you not remembering your buddy when riding.

I hope to get some more rides on the Beast someday. I've been on it 2-3 times and it was a ton of fun. Thankfully, I got a night ride in too :)

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Fun Article About The Beast by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/5/14 10:00:49 AM
mugen828 said:

Cool article.

Also RobLec, sorry to hear about your friend. I can't imagine you not remembering your buddy when riding.

I hope to get some more rides on the Beast someday. I've been on it 2-3 times and it was a ton of fun. Thankfully, I got a night ride in too :)

Mmmm...Beast at night... (drool..)

Re: Fun Article About The Beast by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/5/14 7:14:22 PM
Thanks for sharing Mike. Great story! The Beast is my favorite coaster of all time!! I just remember growing up and hearing about this amazing wooden coaster that was hidden in the woods.The longest wooden coaster in the world and you can't even tell it is there until you actually get on the ride. I was last on the Beast for its 30th anniversary and now I am happily going to be visiting Kings Island for The Beast's 35th anniversary this year!!! I can't wait to take my girlfriend on this ride for her first time. I will give her the night ride for her first experience!!!I get goose bumps just thinking about a ride on The Beast.
Dion
Re: Fun Article About The Beast by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/5/14 7:48:01 PM
beastmaster said:
Mmmm...Beast at night...

If I recall correctly his real name was Chris Trease...

;)

;)

Okay, for those who are "new" to URC,

Chris's screen name was "BeastAtNight"

Re: Fun Article About The Beast by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/5/14 8:07:44 PM
RobLec said:

beastmaster said:
Mmmm...Beast at night...

;)

;)

I may not be new to URC, but my "drool" seems oddly inappropriate now...

Mike

Re: Fun Article About The Beast by houstondavid houstondavid Profile at 5/6/14 6:01:23 AM
Hello,

Thanks for sharing the article. I'm making my first trip to Kings Island for the ACE Spring Conference, and can't wait to take a ride (hopefully several...). The ERT on The Beast is Saturday night - seems like a great start.

David

Re: Fun Article About The Beast by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/6/14 1:17:46 PM
RobLec said:

beastmaster said:
Mmmm...Beast at night...

;)

;)

LOL
Catching up on posts here, and I was going to post this same thing!
Rob, you are, of course, correct re BeastAtNight.
I remember Chris. I believe he sat next to me for our inaugural ride on Delirium (hey, also at King's Island!). I was a bit nervous, he wasn't. Then the ride started, I wasn't, he was!
IIRC, Patripman and ChillForce and a few other URC characters were there that day. Patripman, er make that Ripples, will remember basketballs.

Mike B.