Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Knoebels Trip Report 4/27/14

Knoebels Trip Report 4/27/14

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
4/29/14 at
7:48:56 PM

Well it's that time of year again. Thank God. After a brutal off-season, I've been dying to ride some coasters. We had plans to visit Hershey on opening day, but plans fell through. We had plans for a weekend trip, during Easter weekend, but plans fell through. Finally this Sunday, I got my first coaster rides since November 2nd of last year, when we met Mike( beastmaster) at Hershey. With Knoebles offering a wristband for $28 that included everything except Haunted Mansion and the Sky Ride, and the wristbands were buy one get one free, I actually wanted to go for the whole weekend. Saturday was the only day that our post office could fit us in for my boys getting passports. So Sunday was our only option.

The kids, my brother, and I arrived at Knoebles at 11:20 for a 12:00 opening. My kids and I had been to Knoebles several times, but this was my brother's first visit. We bought our wristbands and headed straight for Flying Turns. There was already a line when we arrived. At about 11:50, we were informed that the opening of Flying Turns would be delayed by 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, Flying Turns was still testing and we still weren't let in. The Phoenix wasn't running either. We saw Dick Knoeble cruising back and to the Phoenix and Flying Turns. I guess he wanted to know why 2 of his main attractions weren't running. Being that The Phoenix wasn't running we decided to wait out Flying Turns. I figured I've been waiting 7 years, what the heck. We did see a black squirrel while waiting in line, which is very rare. It's only the 2nd one that I've ever seen, and I send a lot of time fishing in remote, mountainous places.

Finally at 12:45 they let us in. We still had an additional 20 minute wait after they opened it. We boarded the lavender train. I sat in the front, my brother and youngest son, behind me, and the other 2 kids in the back. We climbed the first hill and were maneuvered the first set of turns. Nothing really exciting about this first section. Next we climbed the 2nd lift hill. This is were the ride really begins. Flying Turns is much slower than I anticipated and the ride is way too short. The ride is extremely smooth and those turns are insanely sharp and tight. I see why they had a difficult time finding trains to run on that track. Flying Turns is not super thrilling, but loads of fun. I laughed the whole time and could hear the kids laughing. I feel Phoenix and Twister are still the main attractions, but Flying Turns fits into the same category as the the bumper cars, the carousel, Haunted Mansion, Looper,the Flyers, and Black Diamond does. It's a Knoebles treasure that is a must ride during each visit, as long as the line is 20 minutes or less. I would never wait more than that. That little section now feels complete with Flying Turns, Looper, and The Flyers. All three attractions are fine examples of why Knoebles is such a great small park.

We got off Flying Turns at 1:10. With the park only being open until 6:00, we had very little time. Phoenix was running one train by the time we got off of Flying Turns, so we headed there. The line was spilling onto the midway. We waited about 20 minutes and boarded the back seat. I could see new track work on The Phoenix. Our ride was exceptional. It was super smooth and loaded with air time. Phoenix always has great air time on the last 4 bunny hops, but now there is excellent air time throughout the entire ride. They really have it running great. My brother was extremely impressed with Phoenix.

After Phoenix we headed over to Black Diamond. Last year while visiting with Mike (beastmaster), I was really impressed with Black Diamond. We waited about 10 minutes for our ride. Once again all the gags were working and I still really like this ride. It feels more like a dark ride, rather than a coaster, but it's done very well.

Next we headed over to the Flyers. We only had to wait one cycle. Everyone seemed to be at the coasters, especially Flying Turns. That line spilled into the midway all day long. I love flying scooters. I ride them every chance I get at every park that has them. I can get sideways on them, but never can snap them. Finally I got a flyer to snap, and I was snapping consistently. I looked back at my daughter and her cables were snapping. I looked at my oldest son and his cables were snapping. There was a very light breeze, but I think we are finally getting the hang of riding Flyers properly. The Flyers are always fun, but this was the best ride I ever had on any flying scooter.

Next we headed to Twister. They were running one train. We had to wait 4 trains for a back seat ride. Last Twister was running really good. I believe GCI has done some track work during the off-season. Now the bottom of the drops are silky smooth. The rest of the ride is still running like last year, a little bumpy, but very aggressive. The campground turn is a little rough, but very tolerable. All in all, Twister is running great. My brother actually didn't like it. It was a little to rough for his liking.

Next we headed over to the bumper cars. We only waited one cycle. The bumper cars are running great as usual. The collisons are violent and you can spin out cars at will. My brother couldn't believe how much fun the bumper cars were. Other than The Phoenix, the bumper cars were his favorite ride there.

Next we grabbed a ride on the carousel. We all sat on outside horses. Grabbing the rings are a blast. I went 9 for 9. I believe I know have the technique down pack.

Next we grabbed a ride on the Roto Jets. It's another great looking, classic Knoebles ride. As we were walking past the Paratrooper, someone lost a shoe and came inches from hitting me. We all had a good laugh about it.

Next we headed over to Cosmotron. It's an indoor Music Express with fog machines and a light show. This was actually my first time riding this. I never knew what was in ther. I knew I ride was in that building, but never bothered to check it out. Now Cosmotron will be a must ride every visit. t

sWe did take a ride on Haunted Mansion, because there was no line. I even questioned if it was open. We took a ride on Downdraft, a very forceful ride that I always try to ride which visiting. Power Surge is out for maintenance. 1000 Nachts and Balloon Race are down also, awaing parts. We did grab a ride on Looper. Not only is it one of my favorite rides at Knoebles, it's in my top 10 favorite flats, anywhere. I can really get those cages flipping. My brother really liked this ride also.

We grabbed another back seat on The Phoenix right at 6:00. Our evening ride was really good, but not incredible like earlier in the day. All in all we had a blast. Knoebles is a park that keeps growing on me every time I visit. My brother was really impressed with it. Knoebles was much better than he expected. We may get out there again this year. If not we will be there next year when they open there new coaster Impulse.

Thanks for Reading,
Ken

* This post was modified at 4/29/14 8:09:00 PM *

Re: Knoebels Trip Report 4/27/14 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/30/14 10:40:25 AM
Awesome TR!! I'm glad Flying Turns was fun! Doesn't need to be super intense. I rode Avalanche at Kings Dominion and really enjoyed it. I knew it was going to be an intense experience, I don't see how anyone could expect that.

Thanks for writing this! I will hopefully be visiting the park this year for the first time ever.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Knoebels Trip Report 4/27/14 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/30/14 7:45:51 PM
mugen828 said:

Awesome TR!! I'm glad Flying Turns was fun! Doesn't need to be super intense. I rode Avalanche at Kings Dominion and really enjoyed it. I knew it was going to be an intense experience, I don't see how anyone could expect that.

Thanks for writing this! I will hopefully be visiting the park this year for the first time ever.

Thanks Kyle. Flying Turns left me wanting more. The ride is very fun, but very short. I really like Avalanche at Kings Dominion; It's a must ride for me. I liked Flying Turns a little more. Everyone will compare Flying Turns to Avalanche. The ride experience of Flying Turns actually reminds me of Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain at Indiana Beach. Both are one of kind wooden coasters, not very fast, insanely tight turns, and so much fun that it brings me to laughter. I ride LCOSM every visit for the first ride of the day. I feel Flying Turns will be the same for me. Another thing I didn't mention is how comfortable the trains are. Even a tall guy like you will have plenty of room. I'm a really big guy. In the train before us, a guy much larger than me got to ride. My point is that I give Knoebles credit for building an attraction that almost anyone can ride.

* This post was modified at 4/30/14 7:47:38 PM *

Re: Knoebels Trip Report 4/27/14 by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 4/30/14 7:52:39 PM
I think your brother would have liked Twister much better if you had him in the front instead of the back. Much smoother in the front. Front is kinda rough!!
Dion
Re: Knoebels Trip Report 4/27/14 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/30/14 8:24:01 PM
chitlins73 said:

I think your brother would have liked Twister much better if you had him in the front instead of the back. Much smoother in the front. Front is kinda rough!!

I actually suggested that he should go the front. The kids and my tolerance for aggressive wooden coasters is much higher than his. He wanted to ride with us, so we rode the back. We planned to ride Twister again, in the front, but just ran out of time. I will say, Twister is the running great. I personally could marathon it in any seat.