Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE!

Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE!

Tomas_coaster17

Posted:
4/29/14 at
11:16:18 AM

Hey guys, I'm going on a cedar point trip in about a week and a half. I will be going for opening day this season and I'm coming all the way from Florida. I bought fast lane tickets for opening day as well. So I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips.
• how to attack all coasters and in which order?
• will the fast lane help out or should I upgrade too fast lane PLUS
• what are the best places to eat ?
• should I start from the back of the park and miss out on the opening ceremony ?
• and anything else you could tell me id appreciate !

First time going to ohio and cedar point. Been waiting 4 years and I'm extremely excited !
Thanks

Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/29/14 1:20:54 PM
Others will probably have more useful tips, but in my experience I recommend that you DO start at the back of the park (or at least, NOT at the front). There will be some guests staying on the property at CP hotels and will have early access to the back of the park, so don't be afraid to walk around a bit and check out what's running and how long the lines are, and take a pass on those that are slow or to long. TTD has the tendency to open late and break down often. There have been days I've walked past it a half dozen times, then returned later in the day to a short 15 minute line.

Personally I like to start on MF. It is very reliable and operations run smoothly. The line may be long but you'll generally be on in less than an hour. Or some like to start with Magnum, which in recent years has been a walk-on for most of the day. Either way, then head back to Maverick and check out the line. If the outside queue is half full that's usually an hour wait.

Later in the day head to the front of the park for Gatekeeper, Raptor and the shuttle coaster (I forgot the name). While you're up front you can eat at the Midway market, which offers a decent buffet at a reasonable price. There is a Ruby Tuesday back at the hotel but I find it too pricey. I usually prefer to eat at Panda Express while I'm in the area of MF.

And I have to mention that at this time of year you will get to know a certain insect known as the Mayfly. Hope you have a great time!

Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/30/14 11:22:13 AM
Tomas_coaster17 said:

Hey guys, I'm going on a cedar point trip in about a week and a half. I will be going for opening day this season and I'm coming all the way from Florida. I bought fast lane tickets for opening day as well. So I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips.
• how to attack all coasters and in which order?
• will the fast lane help out or should I upgrade too fast lane PLUS
• what are the best places to eat ?
• should I start from the back of the park and miss out on the opening ceremony ?
• and anything else you could tell me id appreciate !

First time going to ohio and cedar point. Been waiting 4 years and I'm extremely excited !
Thanks

I went last year (1st and only visit) and wanted to make the most of my time there. We went on unusually cold/windy day in May. I would advise if you want to get on EVERY coaster, to invest in the Fast Lane Plus. Since you're coming from Florida, I would suggest going big or going home! lol Why waste ANY time you have if you're not a frequest visitor you know?

We stayed all day, but not until close, and we got on EVERY big coaster 1 time each (13). It's not that we couldn't have ridden more, but still, that took up most of the day's time. I think there are a lot of good places top eat. There is a cool hotdog place (footlongs) and also a sports bar type resturant near Raptor if my memory serves right.

We started at Gatekeeper, and this was AT park opening (keep in mind early entry guests) and we waited 20ish minutes WITH Fast Lane Plus. So in opinion, you will NOT be able to do all the rides once IF the park is busy that day. Just a heads up.

I felt like the money I paid for with the pass was well worth it. I waited 20ish minutes for Gatekeeper, 15 minutes for Maverick, and maybe 40 minutes tops for Millenium force. Everything else was much faster with the pass.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/30/14 8:13:21 PM
I live about 3 1/2 hours from Cedar Point, so I have visited countless times. I like RobLec's strategy. I would start at Millennium Force, then head for Maverick. Those are my 2 favorite coasters at Cedar Point, and usually have the longest waits, if you wait until later in the day. After Maverick, I always grab a quick ride on Mean Streak. It will be a walk on if you ride it early enough. I then usually head down to Gemini. Even if there is line, Gemini is a people eater. They usually run 2 trains on each track. Then I go to Magnum, another excellent coaster. With fast lane, you wait will be about 10-15 minutes. Then I usually go to Top Thrill Dragster. TTD's line can be long. With fast lane you will still have a 20 minute wait. If you decide you want front seat, add 30-40 minutes. Corkscrew, Iron Dragon, and Mantis are in the general area of TTD. Like RobLec stated, wait for later in the day for Gatekeeper, Raptor, and Wicked Twister, but don't wait too long. The crowd will make It's way to the back of the park, but will try to grab some rides on those 3 on their way out. Mid to late afternoon is the perfect time to be in the front of the park. I always make Blue Streak a priority. It was running exceptional last year, and I always try to gab multiple rides. The line is usually short, and it's just a great wooden coaster. Someone suggested Fast Lane Plus. I think that's a good idea, being you are coming from Florida. Be prepared, Cedar Point is a very busy park. Expect a crowded park, with substantial wait times, even with Fast Lane Plus. If you have time, the flat rides that I would recommend is Max Air, Skyhawk, Calypso, and Cedar Downs. Have fun, I hope this helps. I hope you go on an uncrowded day, and you get to ride everything on your must do list.
Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by Tomas_coaster17 at 5/1/14 6:43:08 AM
frontrow said:

I live about 3 1/2 hours from Cedar Point, so I have visited countless times. I like RobLec's strategy. I would start at Millennium Force, then head for Maverick. Those are my 2 favorite coasters at Cedar Point, and usually have the longest waits, if you wait until later in the day. After Maverick, I always grab a quick ride on Mean Streak. It will be a walk on if you ride it early enough. I then usually head down to Gemini. Even if there is line, Gemini is a people eater. They usually run 2 trains on each track. Then I go to Magnum, another excellent coaster. With fast lane, you wait will be about 10-15 minutes. Then I usually go to Top Thrill Dragster. TTD's line can be long. With fast lane you will still have a 20 minute wait. If you decide you want front seat, add 30-40 minutes. Corkscrew, Iron Dragon, and Mantis are in the general area of TTD. Like RobLec stated, wait for later in the day for Gatekeeper, Raptor, and Wicked Twister, but don't wait too long. The crowd will make It's way to the back of the park, but will try to grab some rides on those 3 on their way out. Mid to late afternoon is the perfect time to be in the front of the park. I always make Blue Streak a priority. It was running exceptional last year, and I always try to gab multiple rides. The line is usually short, and it's just a great wooden coaster. Someone suggested Fast Lane Plus. I think that's a good idea, being you are coming from Florida. Be prepared, Cedar Point is a very busy park. Expect a crowded park, with substantial wait times, even with Fast Lane Plus. If you have time, the flat rides that I would recommend is Max Air, Skyhawk, Calypso, and Cedar Downs. Have fun, I hope this helps. I hope you go on an uncrowded day, and you get to ride everything on your must do list.

These 3 comments help. I definitely like your idea and tips front row ! I already bought the fast lane but I'm going to upgrade once I am at the park that day. Probably early in the morning before they open to general public. I'm planning on being there atleast an hour early to look around and make sure I make it to the back entrance! I can't wait too ride both MF and maverick. I rode cheetah hunt here in BGT and it was pretty twisty. I can only imagine how maverick will be. Thanks you!

Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/1/14 9:02:18 AM
Tomas_coaster17 said:
I can't wait too ride both MF and maverick. I rode cheetah hunt here in BGT and it was pretty twisty. I can only imagine how maverick will be. Thanks you!

Yeah, Mavie is a lot of fun, but MF is still my fav. We have yet to ride Cheetah Hunt. Our last visit to BGT it was too crowded, so we just stuck with our fav's... Montu, Shiekra etc.

BTW while you are here in Ohio, we will be down there in the Tampa bay area. We have a place in Clearwater and plan to move there permanently next year. Maybe while you are here in Ohio you could also visit King's Island, another great Ohio park here in Cincinnati where we live now.

The mayflies are harmless but annoying. Be prepared for possible chilly mornings, though the long range forecast says it should be warm here next week. Have fun!

Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by Tomas_coaster17 Tomas_coaster17 Profile at 5/1/14 10:52:31 AM
One more questions ! Anything else to do in ohio worth the time and fun? Roblec mentioned kings island which I've thought about but anything else worth doing? I read online there's the national airforxe museum and some racing thing by sandusky. But since you guys live there. Anything else?
Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/1/14 12:26:54 PM
Maybe Rock-n-Roll hall of fame in Cleveland?
Never been there myself... www.rockhall.com
Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/1/14 1:10:26 PM
RobLec said:

Maybe Rock-n-Roll hall of fame in Cleveland?
Never been there myself... www.rockhall.com

I've been there several times. Great way to spend a day if you like the music! (Even though Warren Zevon should really be in there...)

* This post was modified at 5/1/14 1:11:22 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/5/14 9:18:25 AM
RobLec said:

Maybe Rock-n-Roll hall of fame in Cleveland?
Never been there myself... www.rockhall.com

If you like music, or even just like museams/information on cool subjects, I would HIGHLY suggest the R&R Hall Of Fame.

I went last year (combo ticket with CP) and it was incredible. I'm not even a classic rock fan, but I still enjoyed it. I found myself getting caugt staring/reading things for 20 minutes at a time. You can definitely lose yourself in all the information there, and it's a really neat building. You can also walk through it and be done in 20-30 minutes too, but it just depends how interested you are I suppose.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/5/14 8:11:03 PM
Not me, Kyle..I spent over three hours just at the "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll" listening wall!
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Cedar point trip may 9th! TIPS PLEASE! by Tomas_coaster17 Tomas_coaster17 Profile at 5/5/14 10:57:11 PM
What about kalahari water park? Very excited. Only 3 more days till my trip and will be going to cedar point opening day. It should be insane