Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > End to Unlimited Rerides at KD

End to Unlimited Rerides at KD

alpengeistno3

Posted:
4/28/14 at
12:44:32 AM

So, I met Mike G. (Beastmaster) at KD. I'll leave it to him to write up the detailed TR since he has a lot more to say about his 2 day adventure that I do about the 2 hrs we hung out. Don't want to steal his thunder!

My report will be on what I had heard earlier this week about how Cedar Fair is making a chain-wide change to its parks' reride policy and how it would affect the Coasting for Kids event. What caught my eye was the line "this is a new daily operating procedure."

The new rule is that you may only ride any ride (we'll say "coasters" for now since I have no experience with how or if it is being applied to non coaster rides) TWO consecutive times before being asked to take a "break." The "break" can be as short as 30 seconds or could require exiting the ride and requeing (ie walking around).

How it is being implemented as of today is as diverse as the ride collection at the park!!

At Dominator, I did not notice any change. Mike and I rode 4 times, each time we had to switch seats (once we were able to board the same 2 seats because a group of 2 boarded row 8 and we just went back to them. Nothing was ever said by the ops about the new policy.

At Intimidator, we were told very clearly after our 1st ride that we only be able to ride once more. Nothing was said about possibly switching seats. Mike was tired from a bad night's sleep, so we didn't try to find out.

After Mike left, I decided to go to Rebel Yell. I rode once in the front of car 5. When I returned, the op asked me how many times I had ridden. That was my 1st one, so I said "one." The ops rotated positions after that, so I was not asked again (even though said op went to the controls.) I went 3 times in the same seat before I decided to leave on my own accord (bigger fish to fry in the Safari Village).

I was late, so skipped Anaconda and decided to try out Volcano. As I figured, no line! I went to the back row took my ride and of course, there was no one in my line. I stayed on. Took my 2nd ride. Came back and once again, no one in my line. Waited to take my 3rd ride when the op wearing the "supervisor" shirt came over and told me that after 2 rides I had to walk around. No announcement, so I felt singled out. I didn't argue as it was almost closing.

Tried to go back to I-305, but they pulled the chain 10 mins early, so I went to FOF instead. No rerides there as it was now 8:00, but I suspect the gate was open as there was no line.

So, the rule seems to be if you switch seats, you can ride as much as you want (only because the ops can't keep track of you), but if you stay in your seat, you ride twice and you are done.

I predicted a change to KD's liberal policy back when Cedar Fair started limiting rides on Dominator the 1st year it was put in and when I-305 did not allow rerides at all. Hopefully, when is all is said and done, it will just be a matter of getting out of your seat and getting back in without leaving the platform for rides like Rebel Yell, Grizzly, Hurler (when it reopens as it is still down, but the trains are back on the track now), Dominator and Anaconda. These rides typically don't have lines during slow days. I was glad to see SOME kind of reride policy implemented on Volcano and I-305 as they previously had none. Maybe there is hope for Dorney being forced to adopt one after so many years of sending out empty trains on the insistence of maintaining "no rerides", even when there was no crowd at all(which is MOST weekdays during the summer).

This isn't bad, per se, but I'll be curious to see how it progresses throughout the rest of this season and into the future. Nonetheless, the days of sitting on Anaconda or Grizzly and not lifting the lap/shoulder bar for 10 or more consecutive rides are now over! (I did 52 on Anaconda one day and 28 on Griz.)

Paul

Re: End to Unlimited Rerides at KD by depotrat at 4/28/14 10:53:28 AM
Busch Gardens had the same policy - two and walk around. We paid for the 1 hour early admit to the park for Griffon back in 2007. It was us and seven other folks for three trains! It started 15 minutes late and then they made us walk around after every two rides. GRRR!! They wouldn't even let us exit back into the queue and wait a train. The walk around was pretty long so I am not sure we got our money's worth since it included some pictures and a French buffet breakfast and was pricey. Point is that this policy has been at some other chain parks for some time.
Re: End to Unlimited Rerides at KD by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 4/28/14 11:34:55 PM
At the Verbolten Media Day a couple of years ago, they were enforcing a strict two rides then a five minute break on the coaster. They did several shifts for the Media Day and our shift was the last one before the VIP event in the evening. There were twelve of us tops. Not even enough to load one full train. Scott and Carol was in our Media Day.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: End to Unlimited Rerides at KD by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/30/14 11:31:07 AM
I feel like any amusement park should consider what they themselves would be comfortable with as park visitors, AS WELL as the ride efficiency side of it.

They go hand in hand and should be common sense when determining ride operations and policies, but sometimes you just throw your hands up and go "I don't get it!".

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: End to Unlimited Rerides at KD by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 4/30/14 3:47:37 PM
mugen828 said:

I feel like any amusement park should consider what they themselves would be comfortable with as park visitors, AS WELL as the ride efficiency side of it.

They go hand in hand and should be common sense when determining ride operations and policies, but sometimes you just throw your hands up and go "I don't get it!".

Just to play devil's advocate- perhaps some of the parks are taking steps to think about the guest's safety and comfort that they won't take themselves, but rather than do it on a ride by ride basis are just making it park policy for consistency sake.

As an example, at Manta media day a few years back I watched people get sick- puking sick- after just a few rides who had never been sick on a coaster before. I myself started feeling pretty nauseous after 4-5 rides, which I never do. Seeing how people who ride all the time were reacting, wouldn't it be wise to put in a limit on how many rides to prevent that, rather than have an ongoing problem- and one that might potentially turn serious?

Just trying to think from the park's point of view, which us riders need to do every now and then. :)

Re: End to Unlimited Rerides at KD by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/30/14 7:55:48 PM
SirWillow said:
I watched people get sick- puking sick- after just a few rides who had never been sick on a coaster before. I myself started feeling pretty nauseous after 4-5 rides, which I never do. Seeing how people who ride all the time were reacting...

Funny thing happened to me at CP last year. I started feeling sick after only a few rides. I think it was 3 rides on Gatekeeper and six on MF... and I used to marathon on MF all the time. So it can happen. In fact, that was the first thing I thought of when I read the OP's post. The park is maybe trying to reduce the number of potential cleanups as well as possible injuries (and maybe lawsuits). You know the experiment where they put electrodes in the monkey's brain...