Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day

Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
4/13/14 at
2:39:01 PM

Following this rough Northeast winter, yesterday brought a re-birth of sorts..the re-opening of Great Adventure. This won't be lengthy, but if anyone wants more info, I'll be glad to expand.

Got to park before they even opened the outer gate on Rt. 527

2/3 of parking booths closed. Everybody had to head toward the left third..jam-up.

Daily regular parking up to $25

I was concerned about the entry procedure, but had no trouble. You scan your pass or ticket, place index finger on sensor, wait for clear, head on in. I guess the finger print is now saved for the season and "attached" to my pass.

Headed right for Toro, arriving at about 10:25, and was told it wouldn't open until 11. Went to Mezzaro and was told the same thing, but walking away, I saw Toro running (well before 11, mind you) Got three terrific rides all on the "wood" train. I heard from a friend that her ride on the Kia Soul train was bad. No real wait yet.

Three rides on Mezzaro were followed by a lap on Runaway Train. Had to take one to wish it a happy 40th anniversary, since it's the only coaster remaining from the park's opening in 1974.

Sky ride to other end of the park, where I waited 20 minutes each for two rides on Nitro. First was really jackhammering on the first two hills, second was much better (different train?) Airtime up the wazoo, especially on the closing bunny hills.

Batman, all these years later, remains the most intense ride in this park. Along with Nitro, it seems to have gotten some paint. Nitro's railings must have been finished that morning, attested to by my temporary "tattoo" on my left ring finger, if you catch my drift. Nitro also appears to have new clamshells.

Met a few people I knew, including Jersey Joe from URC and my friend Fran and her husband, but I didn't get to ride with them. I did get to ride and hang out some with my friends Kate and Jaclyn, as well as Jaclyn's friend Jaya.

Bought my souvenir cup..smaller than ever..and got through the day without losing it.

Forgot to bring my certificate to claim my piece of Rolling Thunder. Jaclyn tells me the presentation of it is really nice. I probably still could have gotten it, but I didn't get over that way until ACE had closed down shop. Oddly, there's still a tiny section of RT standing near Toro's brake run.

Went back to my "roots" for sustenance...I brought a sandwich, cookie, and drink in a cooler, and went to my car to eat them. And the Coke Freestyle kiosk is still operating, so it's all good.

No access to the area around KK, but Zoominator (my name for it) appears to be on schedule. Lot of work still to be done in the area, though.

After saying goodbye to Kate, Jaclyn and Jaya near Batman's smoking area, I headed to get another drink and a last ride on Toro. But my legs were rubber, and I decided to pass. This is just spring training, after all :)

Sorry that Jen was unable to make it. Hopefully soon!

Next up: Easter Sunday at GrAdv!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/13/14 3:17:06 PM
beastmaster said:

Wow! That's offensive.

Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/13/14 3:29:10 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

beastmaster said:

Wow! That's offensive.

I agree. Preferred is $35.

Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/13/14 5:04:24 PM
beastmaster said:

I was concerned about the entry procedure, but had no trouble. You scan your pass or ticket, place index finger on sensor, wait for clear, head on in. I guess the finger print is now saved for the season and "attached" to my pass.
Mike

I take it that was with your 2014 SP that you got late season 2013? I got mine for this year in 2013 at SFNE, still with photo( platinum). I did not get to SFNE for yesterday's opening day.

When I recently received the latest email update and read about the new SF finger scanning, I had a brief WTF moment but then figured whenever I get to any SF park this season, my first time giving them the finger (pun intended) will simply place my info onto the SF cloud, as it were, even as I don't have a newer no-photo pass.
So I bet your guess is correct.

beastmaster said:

where I waited 20 minutes each for two rides on Nitro. First was really jackhammering on the first two hills, second was much better (different train?) Airtime up the wazoo, especially on the closing bunny hills.
Mike

Did you get the letter of that jackhammering train, Mike? I'd like to avoid it!

Mike B.
Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/13/14 5:18:43 PM
From one Mike to Another:

Yes, the pass was purchased and processed at the event I missed you at in September.

I'm not sure which train it was, sorry.

Mike

Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by drachen drachen Profile at 4/13/14 8:07:19 PM
beastmaster said:

Yes, the pass was purchased and processed at the event I missed you at in September.

Mike

Word has it that it is train C that is the bad one right now.

And yes, $25 is disgusting - not that I'd ever pay it. One day's worth of parking at Great Adventure is enough to justify bumping your pass to a Gold one that includes it.

Always a great read Mike. Get those legs in shape - it's going to be a long season!

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by antikythera antikythera Profile at 4/14/14 11:42:12 AM
drachen said:

beastmaster said:

Mike

And yes, $25 is disgusting - not that I'd ever pay it. One day's worth of parking at Great Adventure is enough to justify bumping your pass to a Gold one that includes it.

Always a great read Mike. Get those legs in shape - it's going to be a long season!

It's the same for Six Flags America and we're a smaller park.

Mike, have you heard if there is a timeframe as to when we need to claim our piece of wood? I still have my certificate, but I doubt I will make it up there before late season.

* This post was modified at 4/14/14 11:42:41 AM *

Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/14/14 12:06:09 PM
Got me, Corey. I believe they will be there sporadically throughout the season to distribute. If I hear anything, from Jen (I was her guest) or otherwise, I'll let you know.

Mike

Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/14/14 2:17:48 PM
Good to hear you had a good day Mike! I went, but very late, after work.

Me and my friend got into the park at around 6-6:15pm. The only way I know that is because I sent a picture of Nitro, as I entered the line, to my friend on my phone.

I was unsure if we would be able to get our passes processed and still get some rides in, but somehow, someway, we did!

We headed to nitro first. Probably 20 minute wait, but it felt way faster. Last row, left end (my favorite seat in the world). It felt so so good to be back on the beast. It was a little rough, but I honestly don't mind that. If you want smooth you can ride the front! ;)

Then we headed over to El Toro (first zig zag full) and we waited only 20-30 minutes, the line felt very fast. The ride itself felt great. Definitely hasn't aged a bit in my eyes. Rode right side, second to last row.

After that we noticed we were losing sunlight, and time! So we had to wait to get our passes processed. This is the only complaint I have, and it's a SMALL one. They have improved the process for processing (alliteration ftw!) by taking out the photo element, and the coupon book, but I liked both of those... I feel like you won't use the "coupons" to the extent because you won't know what's available without a physical copy of it. The photo things is just a preference of mine. I save all of my season passes, and now it's just a barcode. (yeah yeah, cry about it mugen)

We made it out of the processing hut at 7:48? or something like that. We ran/jogged to Nitro and made it with like 6 minutes to spare! So in less than 3 hours we got two Nitro rides, an El Toro ride, and processed our season passes.

Saw a long skinny sidewalk put down where Rolling Thunder sat. Guess it will be going around to the tower ride. Also snapped a pic with the remaining hills of RT, KK, and El Toro in the same frame. (will post soon).

All in all a nice quick day up to the park, didn't walk around it entirely but we did what we went to do and it was great! I will be back on the 17th with a few friends, then the 20th (solo for now).

* This post was modified at 4/14/14 2:18:42 PM *

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 4/15/14 11:33:44 AM
Great TR but, OMG $25 to park.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by comet3506 at 4/15/14 1:04:11 PM
25 to park is the main reason I haven't been to GAdv since 08, the last time I had a pass. I wrote an email to them two years ago when it climbed over 20 and was told that it was comparable to other area attractions. Everyone other area attraction was generally 5 or more cheaper so not sure what they were comparing to. At last check most of the local parks were around 15, Disney is only 17, Wells Fargo Center and CBP were 15. Even downtown Philly is only 15-20 most nights I have been. Do they even provide a tram car to the front gate for that price? Last time I went I don't remember one.
Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/15/14 1:11:10 PM
No tram that I know of.
Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/15/14 6:47:05 PM
drachen said:

I recall the trains have each row...can't really call them cars on a B&M, can we?...labeled. A7, B3, C5, etc.
I've experienced instances where a row felt like it could have a "square wheel." Maybe not the entire train, of course. But once encountered, I would try to avoid that train.
"Go ahead of me, folks. I'll get the next one." :-)

Mike B.
Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by drachen drachen Profile at 4/15/14 9:54:13 PM
MABrider said:

drachen said:

I recall the trains have each row...can't really call them cars on a B&M, can we?...labeled. A7, B3, C5, etc.
I've experienced instances where a row felt like it could have a "square wheel." Maybe not the entire train, of course. But once encountered, I would try to avoid that train.
"Go ahead of me, folks. I'll get the next one." :-)

From what I hear, said C train had to be removed from the track because a restraint get stuck closed and had to be dismantled to let the rider out.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Thoughts and Observations-SF Great Adventure Opening Day by ktujon ktujon Profile at 4/16/14 12:23:58 AM
I was at the park today and all three trains were running, then they took out 2 trains and left the c train running before the park closed at noon due to rain!