Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 2014 plans?

2014 plans?

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
3/29/14 at
10:34:09 AM

It's that time of year where I start planning our coaster season. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I would really like to get to Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion. I'm about 90% sure we will make that trip sometime this year. Our big trip of the year will be in mid July. We plan on going to The Great Escape (first time visit), Storyland (first time visit), Canobie Lake Park (first time visit), Fun Town/ Splash Town (first time visit), Six Flags New England, Lake Compounce, and Quassy (first time visit), if we get into e park this time. If I can get the kids passports before we leave, we will visit LaRonde for the first time also on that trip. We will definitely visit Knoebles and Lakemont this year either at the beginning of that trip of the end. I'm even considering a first time visit to Delgrossos.

Like I mentioned before, we will be getting Kennywood season passes and I'll be stopping at Kings Island at least once on my way to or from work. If I get off the boat in the Louisville area then I'll stop at Kentucky Kingdom. We have
tentative plans to meet Mike at SF Great Adventure on Easter. It looks like Kingda Ka will be down e and the new drop tower will not be open yet. We may wait to later in the year, I haven't decided yet. In early June I do plan on making a day trip to Waldameer and Conneaut. Haven't been to Waldameer since 2011, and this is probably the last year Conneaut will be open.

I would love to make it to SF Great America for Goliath, but as of now, that looks like a long shot. We spent 4 days at Hershey last year and 3 days at Cedar Point, so those parks are not a high priority. Being we live 3 1/2 hours from both of those parks, there is always a possibility we would visit. My mother-in-law is taking my kids to Southern California again this year. I believe they are going to go to the 2 Disney parks.

In a previous thread I saw some of your 2014 coaster plans. I felt I should start a separate thread. I'm just curious where everyone is planning on going this year.

* This post was modified at 3/29/14 10:57:16 AM *

Re: 2014 plans? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 3/29/14 3:44:22 PM
Hi Ken,

How have you been? I have my spring and summer season all planned out. Here is a look at my first trip.

May 26- Silver Dollar City
May 27- Magic Springs
May 28- Whitewater Branson
May 29- Schlitterbahn Kansas City! (Tallest Water Slide in World!!)
May 30- Adventureland Iowa
May 31- Worlds of Fun
June 1- Six Flags St.louis

Trip 2

July 7- Beech Bend
July 8- Holiday World
July 9- Kentucky Kingdom
July 10- Zoombezi Bay/Columbus Zoo
July 11- The Beach Waterpark
July 12- Kings Island

Those are my two major trips and of course I will be going on plenty of other mini trips throughout the spring,summer,and fall.

Dion

Dion
Re: 2014 plans? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 3/29/14 6:47:47 PM
Due to a busy summer and finances, I'm mostly staying local.

I'm planning on hitting either Six Flags America or Kings Dominion on April 5th. I hate that both are opening the same day as I always do Kings Dominion as my first park of the season, but a lot of people I know will be at Six Flags America and I can't deny the first ride of the season on my favorite ride, Superman. I will most likely do Kings Dominion though since they will be having a lot of neat things going on for their opening day to ring in the 40th anniversary.

Here is how my year is looking:

April 5 - Kings Dominion Opening Day
April 6 - Six Flags America
April 18 - 20 - Possibly Hersheypark

Sometime in May - Possibly Hersheypark
May 10 - Kings Dominion Birthday Bash
May 24 - Six Flags America Ace Event

June 7 - Possibly Busch Gardens Williamsburg for Ace Event

Sometime Over the Summer - Possibly Busch Gardens Tampa

August 24 - Adventure Park USA Ace Event

Before or After Labor Day - Cedar Point and Darien Lake

Sometime in October - Possibly Dorney Park
October 11 - Kings Dominion Fall Thrillfest
October 12 - Six Flags America Celebrate America

December 6 - Possibly Busch Gardens Williamsburg Ace Event

Ideally, I would love to get back to Six Flags Great America since I only got to experience it for a couple hours and some coasters I really wanted to ride I couldn't.

I am also going to make an effort to finally make it to Lakemont, Kennywood, Knoebels, etc. since I have been wanting to experience the other PA parks for a long time. It's up in the air though due to aformentioned busy summer and finances.

The one I am most excited about, minus Cedar Point (I got rained out last year) is Darien Lake. I really want to ride the twin of my favorite coaster so I can say I've been on both.

* This post was modified at 3/29/14 6:49:23 PM *

Re: 2014 plans? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 3/29/14 7:10:57 PM
chitlins73 said:

Hi Ken,

How have you been? I have my spring and summer season all planned out. Here is a look at my first trip.

May 27- Magic Springs
May 29- Schlitterbahn Kansas City! (Tallest Water Slide in World!!)
May 30- Adventureland Iowa
May 31- Worlds of Fun
June 1- Six Flags St.louis

Trip 2

July 7- Beech Bend
July 8- Holiday World
July 9- Kentucky Kingdom
July 10- Zoombezi Bay/Columbus Zoo
July 11- The Beach Waterpark
July 12- Kings Island

Those are my two major trips and of course I will be going on plenty of other mini trips throughout the spring,summer,and fall.

Dion

I'm doing well. I've worked a lot of extra days during this cold winter. I never been to Magic Springs. We tried to fit Adventureland into our 2012 mid west coaster trip, but just couldn't find the time. It's about 3 hours from Worlds of Fun. We drove through Des Moines on our way to Valleyfair from Worlds of Fun. I can't wait to read your review of Outlaw Run.I'm curious if you'll regard it as high as I do. Are you going to try to get to SF Great America, for Goliath, this year?

Re: 2014 plans? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 3/30/14 1:06:34 PM
My original plans were to hit Six Flags Great America so I could ride Goliath but I just could not fit that trip into my schedule. Goliath is my most anticipated coaster for 2014 and I won't be able to get on it.Really stinks but I think I will plan a trip next year to hit ValleyFair again and Mall of America. I can also include Mt.Olympus,Six Flags and Indiana Beach. I heard Indiana Beach might add a new coaster for 2015.Valleyfair is due for a new coaster also! So I hope 2015 is a big year for those parks in that area so it ends up being a worthwhile trip. I hate when I decide to hit an area of the country one year and then they decide to build a coaster the following year!! I am happy to hit Outlaw Run and Banshee this year. I also decided to hit up Kings Dominion opening day next Saturday. ERT on I-305 is a benefit this year for season pass holders!!! Dion
Dion
Re: 2014 plans? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/30/14 6:13:32 PM
chitlins73 said:

Hi Ken,

May 27- Magic Springs

Just a couple of comments-

Be prepared for SDC to be very busy that day since it is Memorial Day. You may very well want to make that ticket a two day ticket so you can spend some extra time there on the day you go to Whitewater. Whitewater is a rather small waterpark. My kids and I were able to do everything in the park 2-3 times easy within the first 2 hours that the park was open. It won't take that long to cover, so works well in combination with some time at SDC to make up what you missed.

And you will likely want it if you want more than one ride on Outlaw Run. They have added seat belts to Outlaw Run which had dramatically slowed down loading times and made the lines for it become very very long. Yesterday it was running 2-3 hour long waits. Be expecting something like that on Memorial Day as well.

However, on that Tuesday you should be able to make some of that time up and catch a few things you missed.

In any case, when at SDC be sure to drop by the train. i will be working that day- not sure in what role yet, but I will be on the train. Let me know you're there and I'll see if I can help you out on the wait for the train just a bit. :)

Re: 2014 plans? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 3/30/14 9:08:35 PM
antikythera said:

I'm planning on hitting either Six Flags America or Kings Dominion on April 5th. I hate that both are opening the same day as I always do Kings Dominion as my first park of the season, but a lot of people I know will be at Six Flags America and I can't deny the first ride of the season on my favorite ride, Superman. I will most likely do Kings Dominion though since they will be having a lot of neat things going on for their opening day to ring in the 40th anniversary.

Ideally, I would love to get back to Six Flags Great America since I only got to experience it for a couple hours and some coasters I really wanted to ride I couldn't.

I am also going to make an effort to finally make it to Lakemont, Kennywood, Knoebels, etc. since I have been wanting to experience the other PA parks for a long time. It's up in the air though due to aformentioned busy summer and finances.

The one I am most excited about, minus Cedar Point (I got rained out last year) is Darien Lake. I really want to ride the twin of my favorite coaster so I can say I've been on both.

Hey Corey. I wouldn't have high expectations for Ride of Steel at Darien Lake. My lasts rides on Superman ROS at SF America were in 2012, and got 6 rides. We were at Darien Lake last year and rode Ride of Steel twice. Ride of Steel has some good moments with some great air time, but is no where near as good as Superman at SF America. Ride of Steel used to be a great ride in It's early years. As of now, it's no where near as good. I do think you'll like Darien Lake. The park itself is really nice, but the coaster collection is weak. Let me know when you plan to visit Kennywood. It would be great to meet again.

Re: 2014 plans? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/31/14 11:04:19 AM
I hope to make every season a big one, with the intention of visiting new parks each year.

Of the parks I've already been to, my plans include:

Spring:
Lagoon (visited two days ago)
Hersheypark
Morey's Piers
Knoebels
Six Flags America (to renew my pass)
Six Flags Great Adventure - during spring break.
Kings Dominion

Summer:
Six Flags Great America
Coney Island
Dorney Park
Sesame Place
Kings Island
Stricker's Grove

Fall:
Cedar Point

First time visits to:

Canobie Lake
Funtown Splashtown
Storyland

Possible Visits to:

Worlds of Fun
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Knott's Berry Farm
Columbus Zoo

If I do all of that, it will certainly be a great year.

* This post was modified at 3/31/14 5:41:13 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: 2014 plans? by ktujon ktujon Profile at 3/31/14 11:16:31 AM
antikythera said:

Delgrosso's is only a couple exits from Lakemont, they got the X-scream Tower and you can compare the Crazy Mouse to the newly located Rajun Cajun!

Re: 2014 plans? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/31/14 12:05:14 PM
drachen said:
include:

Slashtown

That's the new Horror Theme Park, right?

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 2014 plans? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/31/14 5:40:36 PM
beastmaster said:

drachen said:
include:

Slashtown

That's the new Horror Theme Park, right?

Doh...

Fixed...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: 2014 plans? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 4/1/14 6:59:26 PM
SirWillow said:

chitlins73 said:

Hi Ken,

May 27- Magic Springs

Just a couple of comments-

Be prepared for SDC to be very busy that day since it is Memorial Day. You may very well want to make that ticket a two day ticket so you can spend some extra time there on the day you go to Whitewater. Whitewater is a rather small waterpark. My kids and I were able to do everything in the park 2-3 times easy within the first 2 hours that the park was open. It won't take that long to cover, so works well in combination with some time at SDC to make up what you missed.

And you will likely want it if you want more than one ride on Outlaw Run. They have added seat belts to Outlaw Run which had dramatically slowed down loading times and made the lines for it become very very long. Yesterday it was running 2-3 hour long waits. Be expecting something like that on Memorial Day as well.

However, on that Tuesday you should be able to make some of that time up and catch a few things you missed.

In any case, when at SDC be sure to drop by the train. i will be working that day- not sure in what role yet, but I will be on the train. Let me know you're there and I'll see if I can help you out on the wait for the train just a bit. :)

Mr Sir Willow,

Thanks for the response. I am so happy that you told me that it is suppose to be busy on Memorial Day. I bought the Trailblazer Plus Pass. I actually plan my trips trying to hit parks with fast passes on there busiest days. That way I feel like it is worth it to spend all that money.I hear they only sell 10 of those plus passes a day! It is funny that some parks are known for being slower on Memorial day and others are busy. Let me know if you have any other suggestions for my day there. I want to maximize my experience at this park since I am only there one day. I will look for you on the train!...Dion

Dion
Re: 2014 plans? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 4/3/14 3:02:20 PM
Sadly I haven't been able to travel like I use to. I left the workforce full time to finish a B.A. and that hasn't worked out for me so far.

I'll be at KD for a private event in September but other than that I doubt I'll get to many parks this year.

I've always wanted to get to Lakemont to ride Leap The Dips but it never seems to work out.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: 2014 plans? by Coaster316 at 4/3/14 4:54:23 PM
I'll be making my first trip to Kings Dominion since the year Intimidator opened later this month. After that, I'm hoping for Seabreeze in June and to sprinkle in some Knoebels during the summer.
Re: 2014 plans? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/3/14 8:04:14 PM
Coaster316 said:

I'll be making my first trip to Kings Dominion since the year Intimidator opened later this month.

Echo on
I'll be making my first trip to Kings Dominion since the year Intimidator opened...
Echo off
...in June.
I'll also be at BGE during that trip.
June 16 - 19; two full days at each park.
----------------

Liz and I will be park hopping around Disney World Sept, 7 - 11.
---------------

That's what is actually set so far (travel booked, reservations made).
As usual, there will be more during the season.

Mike B.
Re: 2014 plans? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/4/14 8:22:28 AM
MABrider said:

----------------

Liz and I will be park hopping around Disney World Sept, 7 - 11.
---------------

And we'll be there exactly two months later, Nov 8 - 21, booked and paid for

... though actually the main thing we're looking forward to on that trip is the HP extension at USF (though we're not necessarily HP fans, just theme park fans).

Other than that, and the Banshee media day in two weeks, nothing planned for this year 'cept hangin out.

Re: 2014 plans? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/7/14 11:24:07 AM
Finally got one trip mapped out! The rest is just, when I have off work haha.

April 17th - Six Flags Great Adv.
April 20th - possible meet up? I was thinking of breaking my nitro record this day (47 rides)

and many many more visits throughout the year.

5/12 - 5/16 - Disney World 2 days
Universal & IOA 1 Day (Booked!)
(last visit, 2010)

6/23 - 6/29 - California - Vidcon -
youtube conference. (Not booked yet)

Plan on hitting SFMM and one other park if possible. (never been out there before)

??/?? - Dorney Park - Didn't go last year, need to hit up Stinger.
??/?? - Hershey Park - Didn't go last year, need to ride Skyrush!!

First Time Visits:

??/?? - Six Flags America - I live too close to just never go.
??/?? - Kennywood - Drove past this place too many times!
??/?? - Knobels - Flying turns is open? Okayyy fine.

Longshots, but I want to visit:
??/?? - La Ronde
??/?? - Six Flags Great Escape

Looks like a lot of you are going to be going ALL over! That's so awesome. I'm stoked on this year, I probably won't beat last year out, but I am still pumped about going to even just ONE new park.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: 2014 plans? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/7/14 11:41:26 AM
Kyle, as usual, I'll be at GrAdv on Easter, which is the 20th you mentioned. There's a possibility Ken (frontrow) and his family will make it that day too...not definite. It was Easter that I got my 90-ride day on Toro, so your record is definitely breakable unless something unusual happens with crowds or ride breakdowns.

Mike

* This post was modified at 4/7/14 8:28:34 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 2014 plans? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/8/14 7:49:34 PM
beastmaster said:

Kyle, as usual, I'll be at GrAdv on Easter, which is the 20th you mentioned. There's a possibility Ken (frontrow) and his family will make it that day too...not definite. It was Easter that I got my 90-ride day on Toro, so your record is definitely breakable unless something unusual happens with crowds or ride breakdowns.

Mike

So far, I am solo that day. I may have a friend join me. I will keep you posted on what I'm doing that day!

Really stoked for this Easter. It's probably the best day all year to go! Thanks for the heads up mike!

- Kyle (aka the mugen guy)

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: 2014 plans? by houstondavid houstondavid Profile at 4/8/14 9:09:18 PM
I am amazed at the number of parks some of you will hit in a year. While certainly on a smaller scale then some of you, this is my plan for the year.

May 16 - Hersheypark (was there three years ago)
May 17-18 - Kings Island (ACE Spring Conference, first visit)

June ?? - Six Flags New England

Aug ?? - Storyland (first visit)

Sep 6 - Six Flags Great Adventure (Riding of the Bull, first visit)

Oct ?? - either Canobie Lake or Six Flags New England.

Each year I am trying to step it up a bit. SFNE and Canobie Lake are regular visit. This is the first year I am taking a dedicated 'coaster trip' out to Kings Island - hopefully not the last :->.

David

Re: 2014 plans? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 4/14/14 11:52:41 AM
frontrow said:

antikythera said:

Hey Corey. I wouldn't have high expectations for Ride of Steel at Darien Lake. My lasts rides on Superman ROS at SF America were in 2012, and got 6 rides. We were at Darien Lake last year and rode Ride of Steel twice. Ride of Steel has some good moments with some great air time, but is no where near as good as Superman at SF America. Ride of Steel used to be a great ride in It's early years. As of now, it's no where near as good. I do think you'll like Darien Lake. The park itself is really nice, but the coaster collection is weak. Let me know when you plan to visit Kennywood. It would be great to meet again.

Thanks for the heads up Ken. I've too heard mixed things about Ride of Steel too, but I figured I'll never be up in that area anytime soon so I'm going to make the best of their mediocre collection. I'm just hoping we get good weather. I tend to run into trouble when traveling more than three hours away.

I'll definitely hit you up if I make it to Kennywood this year.

Re: 2014 plans? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 4/14/14 3:09:36 PM
Finally getting plans in place for one of our trips. Looks like we'll be at Holiday World on May 9 and SFStL on May 10. It'll be my first trip back to HW since SRM '01- I'm wayyyyy overdue.

Depending on what happens this summer other possibilities include WoF in KC, and if I end up on a long attempted trip out to California then SFMM others might happen.

And of course I'm out at Silver Dollar city 3-5 days a week. :)

Re: 2014 plans? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/14/14 4:42:49 PM
SirWillow said:

Finally getting plans in place for one of our trips. Looks like we'll be at Holiday World on May 9 and SFStL on May 10. It'll be my first trip back to HW since SRM '01- I'm wayyyyy overdue.

Wow... you may not recognize the place after 13 years. I'd say the park has expanded to twice its size since then, especially the water park (which I'm guessing won't be open yet when you visit).

Unless they have done some MAJOR overhaul work in the past year, I'd say that unfortunately Voyage will probably be unrideable, at least unrideable more then once.

Good news is that Raven and Legend have held up very well. Hope you have a great time!