Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > it's so quiet in here

it's so quiet in here

MABrider MABrider Profile

Posted:
3/21/14 at
8:36:16 PM

So quiet in fact, I wonder...am I lost in some kind of space/time continuum?

If so, this will never be seen by URCers. And then what?

If not, and this is seen by all, I've got nothing to add right now, other than wondering why I see the last post was five days ago.
Is it just me (my PC) or what?
Certainly strange.

Mike B.
Re: it's so quiet in here by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/21/14 9:17:11 PM
I usually chime in pretty frequently; I stay scanning newsplusnotes, blooloop, amusementtoday, rcdb & screamscape for significant info. I have noticed the recent lack of activity also. Hopefully things will pick up a lil, and we at the North American Forum do not become European Forum 2.0.
Re: it's so quiet in here by Patripman Patripman Profile at 3/21/14 10:28:34 PM
It's been quiet here at URC since 2003, where have you been?

For me it is all about heading west and I am not talking Ohio, I am talking desert like in southwest US to be exact. This winter took so much out of me that the decision came early to make a move. I have been to this area 6 times the past 2.5 years and the weather is just right. So by mid to late April I will be looking at a whole different landscape and area so to be honest my east coast roller coaster riding days are pretty much over.

Patripman

* This post was modified at 3/21/14 10:43:32 PM *

Re: it's so quiet in here by alpengeistno3 at 3/21/14 11:35:44 PM
Things will pick up in a couple weeks. There will be plenty to talk about in 2 Cedar Fair parks that have "Kings" in their name very soon.

Paul

* This post was modified at 3/22/14 12:15:22 AM *

Re: it's so quiet in here by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/22/14 7:23:34 AM
Welcome to URC in the off season! Nothing unusual here... it's just the typical spring thaw. Soon all the critters will be popping their heads back up again out of their holes.

My personal plans are for Banshee media day next month, then back to Fla in May for a few weeks, then probably just hang out at KI for most of the summer before heading back to Orlando again in November. No HWN and no new parks.

Re: it's so quiet in here by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/22/14 10:18:16 AM
Whew.
I figured the recent lack of posts was just one of those "dead" spots that occur from time to time, but still thought five days was on the high side of that.

* This post was modified at 3/22/14 10:23:30 AM *

Mike B.
Re: it's so quiet in here by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/22/14 10:22:06 AM
Patripman said:

It's been quiet here at URC since 2003, where have you been?

For me it is all about heading west and I am not talking Ohio, I am talking desert like in southwest US to be exact. This winter took so much out of me that the decision came early to make a move. I have been to this area 6 times the past 2.5 years and the weather is just right. So by mid to late April I will be looking at a whole different landscape and area so to be honest my east coast roller coaster riding days are pretty much over.

Patripman

Bernard,
I never left!
And now you are moving left...way left it appears...permanently?
I'm guessing a dry heat area somewhere in AZ or NM.
Have a good move and enjoy that new life!

Mike B.
Re: it's so quiet in here by drachen drachen Profile at 3/22/14 11:16:01 AM
"AZtripman" doesn't have the same ring to it.

I concur with the rest. This will certainly pick up once the season starts again. After this winter, I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to visiting some parks - starting next weekend at Lagoon.

Look for a trip report shortly thereafter!

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: it's so quiet in here by ktujon ktujon Profile at 3/22/14 3:49:29 PM
I never got to post my Knott's TR from last November sorry!
Re: it's so quiet in here by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/23/14 5:15:11 AM
I'm hoping a trifecta of parks will "SHOW-ME" some roller coasters in June.

Opening Day and Easter at Great Adventure are less than a month away, anyway.

Still waiting on vacation day approval for my usual April KD get-together with my friend Deb and her family. But it'll be a little later this year, last weekend in April.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: it's so quiet in here by coastinj coastinj Profile at 3/23/14 10:17:24 PM
Hey Roblec:

I'll be at the BANSHEE media event also. Look me up fella.

Re: it's so quiet in here by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/24/14 7:25:39 AM
coastinj said:
I'll be at the BANSHEE media event also. Look me up fella.

I may be the oldest guy there... tall, slender (well, not as slender as I once was) half bald, clean shaven. We'll probably have nametags and my nick here on URC is abbreviated but nonetheless is my real name. Hope to see you there, weather permitting.

Re: it's so quiet in here by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/25/14 4:19:03 PM
Hey all! I try my best and check in once a week or so. Sometimes not posting but always reading!

A week or two away from making the final steps to a California trip happening in late June! Will be hitting Disneyland for sure, and hopefully Magic Mountain as I will be in Anaheim so it's not too far away! So so so stoked. I'm ready to spend a fortune (can't avoid that) but it should be an amazing trip. (headed there for vidcon, a youtube convention). Other than that the only "new" parks I plan to hit are Kennywood, SFA, and Kennywood.

Also, to point out, Mike said he will be at SFGAdv on Easter. That is without a doubt one of the best days to go!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: it's so quiet in here by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/25/14 6:17:38 PM
Users are only going to spend time visiting a forum when there is quality content to be read. We need contributors to keep the forum active and that activity will solicit additional participation.

If you stop in to only read and rarely contribute then you're not helping to make this forum one worthy of your time.

I pitched an idea awhile back to create a forum that restricted reading based on the amount you contribution. For example, you could read X number of threads for every post you made.

It went on the assumption that if you liked the forum and valued the content you needed to contribute something in return in order to access it.

The argument against this idea was that it would encourage people to just post nonsense or "me to" responses to gain access. It's sort of like forums that have a top poster list. People will post garbage to gain ranking, but that added activity comes without any real substance or quality.

I say this because the numbers don't lie. There are still lots of readers on URC, but contributors are sharply declining. I know many of those readers are past contributors to, but for whatever reason you're no longer investing the time into posting.

In the past six months new posts and replies have been down significantly. If you value this forum and want to continue to see it succeed then we need some increased effort from you to create some new topics to generate discussions worthy of your time.

* This post was modified at 3/25/14 6:19:33 PM *

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: it's so quiet in here by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/27/14 1:23:51 PM
mugen828 said:
I plan to hit are Kennywood, SFA, and Kennywood.

Double your pleasure, double your fun at DOUBLE KENNYWOOD!

Easter's a terrific day to go to GrAdv..done it about 4-5 years now. I go to an outdoor Mass at dawn that's practically on the site of my first coaster. Hit someplace for breakfast, then hit the park. It's become one of my favorite days of the year. There's a possibility Ken (frontrow) and part of his family may join me this year.

Mike

* This post was modified at 3/27/14 1:24:42 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: it's so quiet in here by frontrow frontrow Profile at 3/29/14 9:49:34 AM
mugen828 said:

Hey all! I try my best and check in once a week or so. Sometimes not posting but always reading!

A week or two away from making the final steps to a California trip happening in late June! Will be hitting Disneyland for sure, and hopefully Magic Mountain as I will be in Anaheim so it's not too far away! So so so stoked. I'm ready to spend a fortune (can't avoid that) but it should be an amazing trip. (headed there for vidcon, a youtube convention). Other than that the only "new" parks I plan to hit are Kennywood, SFA, and Kennywood.

Also, to point out, Mike said he will be at SFGAdv on Easter. That is without a doubt one of the best days to go!

We will be getting season passes again this year for Kennywood. Let me know when you are coming and if you would want to meet up. If I'm home off the boat, I'd be more than happy to meet. There are certain days they call "bring a buddy day." On those days, I can get a guest in for $11. Unfortunately they only give about a 30 day notice of when those days are.

* This post was modified at 3/29/14 9:50:45 AM *

Re: it's so quiet in here by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 3/31/14 11:10:57 AM
I've really missed this website! I haven't been on since a little over a year. It feels great to be back. Boy, a lot has happened. I moved to another school district in Anne Arundel County and I'm a senior in high school now getting ready for college. How have you all been? I've missed everyone on here. It has been kinda quiet it seems.
Re: it's so quiet in here by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/7/14 11:08:47 AM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

I've really missed this website! I haven't been on since a little over a year. It feels great to be back. Boy, a lot has happened. I moved to another school district in Anne Arundel County and I'm a senior in high school now getting ready for college. How have you all been? I've missed everyone on here. It has been kinda quiet it seems.

We're still alive and kicking! Hope you're doing well too! Where ya headed this year?

frontrow said:

We will be getting season passes again this year for Kennywood. Let me know when you are coming and if you would want to meet up. If I'm home off the boat, I'd be more than happy to meet. There are certain days they call "bring a buddy day." On those days, I can get a guest in for $11. Unfortunately they only give about a 30 day notice of when those days are.

Whoa! $11?? That sounds like a plan to me! I have so much going on at the moment as far as planning goes, so this is on the back burner at the moment. I will probably head up there for a Thursday sometime (I'm off Thursdays and Fridays). Thanks so much for the offer frontrow!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: it's so quiet in here by mucciared at 4/17/14 10:27:36 PM
:S Wow, I remember I used to post more often, and now I can't remember the last time I contributed. However, I have noticed my visit to the site has dropped over the past couple of years.

My interest in theme parks is not what it used to be (I was obsessed before).

I've also noticed there is a lack of conversation about my local parks (Canada's Wonderland, Darien Lake, Martin's Fantasy Island) and I'm now probably only checking in once a week.

Re: it's so quiet in here by AirBear AirBear Profile at 5/3/14 2:02:29 AM
I'm another one who is guilty of not posting much anymore. In my case right now, it is due to elder care issues (my parents, age 91 and 86).

After my last post (back in November I think), my father's health started declining significantly (he has congestive heart failure and other complications). He had a couple different stints in the hospital and rehab center, then came home around the new year. After another stint in the hospital in February, we finally had to place him in a nursing home as his care needs were beyond my mother's abilities.

Just 3 days after we got him placed, my mother wound up in the hospital with abdominal pain. They found a mass on her bladder that must be removed, sent her back home and scheduled her for surgery. Before the operation she developed a partial bowel obstruction and kidney problems that put her back in the hospital, and while there she suffered a mild heart attack followed by a stroke. She is recovering fairly well from the stroke (probably due to the quick medical response), and is back home recuperating and waiting for a re-scheduled bladder surgery. However, she needs to be watched 24/7 for a while so Colleen and I have been alternating staying with her (in fact, I'm typing this from my mom's house as it's my turn now).

This hasn't left us with much free time, and Colleen and I don't see each other much lately except for "shift changes". We're looking into bringing in some caregiving help to give us a break, but funds are limited as my father's nursing home eats up most of their monthly income as it is. It hasn't been easy, but it's family so what can you do?

A lot of hoped-for trips and park visits probably won't happen for us this year. The only thing for sure right now is the ACE SpringCon May 16-18 at Beech Bend and Kings Island, and only because 1) we booked the airfare before my mom's hospitalization and 2) my sister will be in town for a wedding that weekend and can watch her while we're gone.

I do miss posting and will try to do a bit more of it (I know, I've said that before). And if anyone is going to be at the ACE SpringCon, look for a couple of worn-out looking 59-year-olds named Rick and Colleen and say hi :-)

Rick

Re: it's so quiet in here by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/3/14 9:05:53 AM
So good to hear from you again Rick, and so sorry to hear about your parents. Been there, done that. I know how taxing it can be. In your father's case, it will likely be over soon.

Though we'd love to see you and Colleen, Laurie and I will be in Florida the week of the ACE event at KI. We are in the process of moving there permanently... Florida, not King's Island ;)

Re: it's so quiet in here by jwhoogs jwhoogs Profile at 5/4/14 8:41:09 AM
If I read anything about what I was going to say I don't reply because it's already been said.
Re: it's so quiet in here by AirBear AirBear Profile at 5/5/14 12:51:38 AM
RobLec said:

So good to hear from you again Rick, and so sorry to hear about your parents. Been there, done that. I know how taxing it can be. In your father's case, it will likely be over soon.

Though we'd love to see you and Colleen, Laurie and I will be in Florida the week of the ACE event at KI. We are in the process of moving there permanently... Florida, not King's Island ;)

Hi Rob,

Colleen and I are back home for a couple days as my sister came up from San Diego yesterday to watch our mom and give us a break (she heads back home Tuesday). It's been rough, that's for sure. My father is experiencing some serious edema again, and a nurse was going to look in on him today and report back.

So you guys are moving to Florida; hope it goes well for you. I sure wouldn't mind having access to the Orlando - Tampa area and all the attractions. I'm not sure Colleen and I could handle the humidity, though.

Rick

Re: it's so quiet in here by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/6/14 8:16:08 AM
AirBear said:
So you guys are moving to Florida; hope it goes well for you. I sure wouldn't mind having access to the Orlando - Tampa area and all the attractions. I'm not sure Colleen and I could handle the humidity, though.

Thanks, Rick. Yes, the heat can be brutal, Orlando in particular and especially in the summer, so we do Orlando in the fall. Our retirement condo is near the coast and the gulf breeze keeps the humidity tolerable... nothing like California of course.

Give our best to Colleen. Hope you two have a great trip next weekend!

Re: it's so quiet in here by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/6/14 1:06:28 PM
Rick, I've been wondering what's kept you out of the loop, and am sorry to learn about all you and Colleen are now dealing with.
A truly sad situation for everyone and certainly what must seem at times quite overwhelming for you and Colleen.

Say hi for me and Liz, and enjoy the Spring Con when you come East.

Mike B.