Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Ocean Park Hong Kong Trip Report February 25, 2014

Ocean Park Hong Kong Trip Report February 25, 2014

rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile

Posted:
3/3/14 at
7:14:38 AM

So I just got back from Underway in which I went to Hong Kong. And while I was there I went to Ocean Park. If you haven't heard of the park before it is basically like a Sea World. It is a very beautiful park which is very reliant on marine life. They are all about protecting the world's ocean's and the marine life that live there. The park basically has 2 sides to it. First there is the Entrance side. This side has an Aquarium, a zoo with Asian animals, a bunch of resturaunts and a kid's area. All of this surrounds a beautiful fountain that has a light display at night. Then there is the second area called Thrill Mountain. You get to thrill mountain not by walking but by a chairlift. This chairlift goes up the side of a mountain which on the top is the thrill rides. I can't really describe how beautiful this chairlift is so I have pictures that I will upload here. So on Thrill Mountain there are 4 roller coasters, 2 water rides, 5 flat rides, a view tower, a north pole habitat and a south pole habitat.
Okay so we get to the park and go to buy our tickets. It is $320 Hk. That may seem high but $1 is equal to $7.65 Hk. So it was really only about $40. So first thing we did was go get on the chairlift. It was only a 15 minute wait. Which is very short considering the only way to get the top is by the chairlift. So after we get off at the top, we get in line for Hair Raiser. Hair Raiser is a B&M Floorless. And I have to say it was probably be my favorite Floorless. It has a great layout and is in an absolutely beautiful setting. It's also very smooth. Since it is on a mountain it has a lot less room to work with than most Floorless do. But it makes use of the limited space and turns it into something great. So it was a very hot day in Hong Kong so we decided to go on the rapids ride. This rapids ride was very different than most in the states. Instead of the ride itself getting you wet it is all cannons that people pay to spray you. Except people actually pay to spray you with water here. The water was cold but it felt very good. It was a fun a different experience. Next we went on the corkscrew coaster. It was a pretty good design. Not too rough. Definitely smoother than most. Next we went on the launch tower. It wasn't the best one I've been on but definitely not the worst. Then next we went on probably the best mine train you will ever go on. It is probably the most scenic mine train you will ever go on. It is hard to describe it's beauty with words as is the rest of the park. Also. It wasn't the easiest coaster to take pictures of because of it's location. So if you want to see it's beauty you will have to either look up pictures or watch a video of it on youtube. By that time we were getting tired so we went back to the chairlift to go back down. But before we left we went to see the Asian animals and the aquarium. We saw some alligators, panda's and a bunch of fish that are native to the ocean's around Hong Kong. They were both pretty cool. Then after that we left. I would give the park about an 8 out of 10. It was a very beautiful park with some pretty good rides. It could use a little more but hey I understand that there isn't much room for expansion.
The link is for all my Hong Kong pictures if you want to see them. The last picture from Ocean Park is after the aquarium. It is a picture of the fountain.

Brandon Carlson

User Submitted Picture

Re: Ocean Park Hong Kong Trip Report February 25, 2014 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/3/14 10:55:04 AM
Will definitely have to check this park out! Sounds super unique! Never heard of it before. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Will be checking out the pictures when I'm home sometime. Can't see them at work.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Ocean Park Hong Kong Trip Report February 25, 2014 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/3/14 12:59:30 PM
I saw a picture of Hair Raiser (as a bald guy, one of my favorite coaster names!) on RCDB a coupla years ago. Spectacular setting on the land high above the water. I'm not a student of geography..what water is that? China Sea? The other pics didn't make the coaster look particularly interesting, but your words painted a picture, and looks aren't everything. Thanks for the report!
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Ocean Park Hong Kong Trip Report February 25, 2014 by drachen drachen Profile at 3/4/14 10:44:39 AM
beastmaster said:

I saw a picture of Hair Raiser (as a bald guy, one of my favorite coaster names!) on RCDB a coupla years ago. Spectacular setting on the land high above the water. I'm not a student of geography..what water is that? China Sea? The other pics didn't make the coaster look particularly interesting, but your words painted a picture, and looks aren't everything. Thanks for the report!

Ocean Park is just outside of Hong Kong. I guess it's officially the "South China Sea".

He's a link to a Google map:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=ocean+park,+china&hl=en&ll=22.226819,114.199104&spn=0.170983,0.338173&sll=41.117935,-77.604698&sspn=4.452371,10.821533&t=h&z=12

Nice write up, Brandon. Very cool that you get to visit some parks while while you serve.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur