Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy?

Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy?

KevinReid KevinReid Profile

Posted:
2/26/14 at
12:49:02 PM

Generally hand held cameras are not allowed on Roller Coasters. Does anybody have any experience with the "official" stance of parks when it comes to Go Pro mounted cameras on the person?

New Go Pro for Christmas but, it will not be seeing any roller coasters any time soon just Caribbean Islands on our Cruise in two weeks.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

* This post was modified at 2/26/14 12:50:04 PM *

Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 2/26/14 12:51:08 PM
I can't answer the question, but I can ask one.
Is it waterproof?
:-)
Mike B.
Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 2/26/14 2:50:14 PM
Yes! As long as your are not using skeleton back doors. Mine is going for a nice Zip Line Adventure in St. Kitts. Then maybe a dip in the Caribbean Sea. Rub it in... I know.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by drachen drachen Profile at 2/26/14 5:50:51 PM
KevinReid said:

Generally hand held cameras are not allowed on Roller Coasters. Does anybody have any experience with the "official" stance of parks when it comes to Go Pro mounted cameras on the person?

New Go Pro for Christmas but, it will not be seeing any roller coasters any time soon just Caribbean Islands on our Cruise in two weeks.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

I would imagine the answer would still be 'No' at most parks - particularly the larger ones. I look at the risk/reward.

What's the reward? A shaky on-ride photo gets uploaded to YouTube.

What's the risk? Something comes loose, and injures someone.

I would imagine a park's thought process mirrors my own.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by alpengeistno3 at 2/26/14 7:52:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that Go Pro is a "no-go" at a Cedar Fair, Busch or Six Flags park. You may be able to luck up on a ride op who has been transferred to a ride due to staffing and is not aware of the policy.

Paul

Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/26/14 10:09:27 PM
Disney will probably allow you to use it. They may be about the only one.

I know it's a "no" at SDC, and would imagine that is true at most parks. Honestly, I've got a suspicion that to get caught using it without permission on a coaster is a good way to get yourself removed from the park.

Check with guest relations at the park and ask them. You might also want to check with the PR department. If you can convince them that you can do it safely and that it will somehow be good publicity for the park you might be able to get permission. But I wouldn't try it without some sort of official permission.

Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/27/14 6:18:21 AM
SirWillow said:
Check with guest relations at the park and ask them.

I'd guess that as soon as they hear the word "camera" the answer will be no.

Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 2/27/14 11:13:14 AM
All of my onride photos and videos were taken with a hand held Point and Shot. It would be so easy to pop the Go Pro onto a chesty mount underneath a zippered hoodie. If I lived near Wonderland this summer would of been spent getting a whole new library of POV and ride shots. I guess I will settle for POV and shore shots of Cruise Ships.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 3/2/14 10:36:45 AM
I'm not saying I support it as I concur with Drachen on saying one should follow park policies.

But how big are these things in reality and what makes it more dangerous than an improperly stored cell phone that a large percentage of the GP keeps on them during the ride anyways.

Again, just trying to get an idea as I have never really seen or used a Go Pro and I would imagine it would be no different from other loose articles.

On a similar note, are there any statistics on how often things really come loose on a ride and hit people?

Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/2/14 11:25:10 AM
antikythera said:

Again, just trying to get an idea as I have never really seen or used a Go Pro and I would imagine it would be no different from other loose articles.

On a similar note, are there any statistics on how often things really come loose on a ride and hit people?

They're not going to be treated any differently than other loose articles- and that's just it. Many parks don't permit any loose articles on major rides and coasters. And if people are caught sneaking things onto the rides (e.g. cell phones) they are known to stop the ride on the lift and confiscate the item, and will sometimes have people removed from the park for deliberately bringing those items on the ride.

I don't know that there are any official statistics, but I can tell you having worked at BGT and WDW, and now working at SDC that there are a lot of phones, cameras and other items picked up (often broken and/ or in pieces) from the rides. It's not unusual for us to see the remnants of something on the train that came from Outlaw Run or Powder Keg. I've had a number of times where I have caught hats and items lost by people in front of me on a ride, and some where I've had to duck and dodge so I wouldn't get injured from it. I have personally seen people bleeding and had other injuries because people took phones, cameras, etc on coasters and then lost them.

Are there numbers or stats out there? Highly unlikely. But it happens far more than it should. I sympathize for those hurt from things flying out of other people's hands or pockets, but I don't have a bit for those that loose the items. And that includes my son who lost a phone on Powder Keg 4 days after he got it- when he knew better! (he had pushed it down in his pocket and thought it would be safe) Made him work to pay for that.

Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/3/14 9:54:24 AM
Hey, SirWillow, can you send me a note at sonbeast1964@yahoo.com?

Wanna ask you about a coupla things.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Go Pro on Roller Coaster. Policy? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/3/14 5:35:05 PM
beastmaster said:

Hey, SirWillow, can you send me a note at sonbeast1964@yahoo.com?

Wanna ask you about a coupla things.

Mike

sent. :)