Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Conneaut Lake in Serious Trouble

Conneaut Lake in Serious Trouble

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
2/7/14 at
8:35:27 AM

It looks as if the county commissioners have decided to auction off the park's land on September 26th of this year.

Upon reading the headline, I thought that maybe that could mean someone could purchase the park and keep it operating.

But it seems as if it will be chopped into 40 parcels - a very bad sign for the future of the park.

What can be done? This is just awful news.

User Submitted Picture

Sale of Conneaut Moves Forward

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Conneaut Lake in Serious Trouble by antikythera antikythera Profile at 2/7/14 10:29:50 AM
This park can't catch a break. It's not clear from the article, but I can assume that the sale of the land includes the sale of the rides as well?

I have never been to the park, but I might have to make it a priority if I make it back to Cedar Point this year.

After all that restoration work on Blue Streak, I hope it's not in vain.

Re: Conneaut Lake in Serious Trouble by drachen drachen Profile at 2/7/14 12:29:29 PM
antikythera said:

This park can't catch a break. It's not clear from the article, but I can assume that the sale of the land includes the sale of the rides as well?

I have never been to the park, but I might have to make it a priority if I make it back to Cedar Point this year.

After all that restoration work on Blue Streak, I hope it's not in vain.

I would assume the rides would be sold too. The Blue Streak would be a terrible loss if it's not saved.

If you're heading to Cedar Point, yes, you need to visit Conneaut before it's possibly gone. Just be sure to check the schedule before you make plans. They're not open every day.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Conneaut Lake in Serious Trouble by depotrat at 2/7/14 1:53:57 PM
As I remember it, some years ago there was a plan to sell some very desireable land near the lake that would have yielded enough funds to pay off the park's debts/taxes and get them back on their feet. The bankruptcy judge blocked the sale and now it looks like the park will lose everything.

Maybe I am missing something because I am not local, but sure looks like the judge didn't do what was in the best interests of the creditors, park, local community, or anyone except the folks that will buy land dirt cheap at auction this fall. Makes you wonder what the whole story was. Maybe somebody who knows more can explain because I am smelling something here. Hope I am wrong.

Re: Conneaut Lake in Serious Trouble by Patripman Patripman Profile at 2/8/14 10:03:21 PM
Conneaut Lake Park has been in serious trouble since 1982, 1986, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2002, 03, 04, 05 ............!

I cant believe it took this long for any action to occur especially in Pennsylvania where the governments would not hesitate in taking property from anyone for non payment of taxes and other things. I will say this one more time, Conneaut Lake Park had it's chance for salvation but of course there were just a few who would not let it happen. Those involved with managing the park have nobody to blame but themselves.

Patripman

Re: Conneaut Lake in Serious Trouble by depotrat at 2/9/14 2:32:51 PM
^ so who were the "few" and what happened? Fill us in as inquiring minds want to know!
Re: Conneaut Lake in Serious Trouble by Patripman Patripman Profile at 2/9/14 10:02:30 PM
I spoke to my sister this morning to check on her property, which would be considered park property and this possible sale will have no affect on the property. However the 40 plus parcels that they are talking about can be other cottages, park property and areas around the park. Many of the cottages that are inside and around the park were considered Conneaut Lake Park owned and were under 99 year lease agreements, our property was purchased off the lease many years ago.
I personally do not want to get into who the "few" are because as it sits right now Conneaut Lake Park as we know it maybe gone by the end of September so it will not matter at this time who to blame.
Again I repeat Conneaut Lake Park had it's chance.

Patripman