Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Favorite Nightime Coasters!

Favorite Nightime Coasters!

BrianG

Posted:
4/4/00 at
8:05:15 PM

What is everyone's favorite coaster to ride at night? Mine is Superman:Ride of Steel at SFDL because it's so cool looking out into the dark sky and seeing the Buffalo skyline in front of you! Plus, that first drop throught the mist over the lake at night is insane!

Unofficial Guide to SFDL

Re: Favourite Nightime Coasters! by ROXY ROLLER at 4/4/00 8:10:51 PM

You take my breath away!

I couldn't have said it better myself. The only thing I must add is that Superman: Ride of Steel in the FRONT seat is my favourite (Canadian spelling) nightime coaster. God bless Six Flags Darien Lake!

Peace,

Roxy

Roxy's On-board S:ROS Pix!

Re: Favourite Nightime Coasters! by joe(PCW) at 4/4/00 8:19:29 PM

> You take my breath away! I couldn't have
> said it better myself. The only thing I must
> add is that Superman: Ride of Steel in the
> FRONT seat is my favourite (Canadian
> spelling) nightime coaster. God bless Six
> Flags Darien Lake! Peace, Roxy

Well I would probably agree with Roxy, that is if I had the chance to ride Superman@SFDL in the night time. I only got to ride it during the day :( Anyways I would have to say at this point that my favorite night time coaster is the Wilde Beast at PCW. Theres not much lighting after the drop. And going down that steep curved drop in the dark is awsome. Mighty Canadian Minebuster was the best to ride at dark until Splash Works was installed and now the coaster is illuminated with strong spot lights from the waterslide towers.

joe(PCW)

Re: Favorite Nightime Coasters! by Johnny Mnemonic at 4/4/00 8:54:28 PM

> What is everyone's favorite coaster to ride
> at night? Mine is Superman:Ride of Steel at
> SFDL because it's so cool looking out into
> the dark sky and seeing the Buffalo skyline
> in front of you! Plus, that first drop
> throught the mist over the lake at night is
> insane!

Stealth is now my favorite nighttime coaster! Looking up at the stars while heading up the lift hill is quite surreal, and then to be yanked over on your stomach while you zoom down 10 feet above the ground is something you all must experience. Ghostrider is certainly the most intense coaster in the world at night! :P

Re: Favorite Nightime Coasters! by Jim Disney at 4/4/00 9:56:09 PM

> insane!

Probably one of the best experiences I've had on a coaster was on Batman: The Ride at SFMM around Halloween. They run the ride in pitch black darkness. That's amazing! The other one of my favorites is Ghostrider. Plunging in and out of it's structure is a thrill in the dark!

JD

The SCCC Website

Ditto on Favourite Nightime Coasters! by Kevin Reid at 4/4/00 10:27:33 PM

We generally finish our evening with a final ride on Wild Beast. The best is when the night is overcast and the crowd stayed awy. If you sit around the middle you can re-ride Wild Beast without ever exiting the ride. Last year we set a personal record for Wild Beast rides. Have I ever said, "I love the Wild Beast?"

Regards,

Kevin Reid

PCW Junkies On Ride Photos of Fear

Phoenix, anyone? by ben at 4/4/00 10:27:41 PM

> insane!

The Phoenix takes the crown, in my book. It's just so... good. Honorable mention to Big Bad Wolf (not too thrilling, but somehow quite fun) and Yankee Canonball (@Canobie Lake Park - a classic) -ben

Re: Favorite Nightime Coasters! by swOHman at 4/4/00 10:43:55 PM

You have not lived unless you have ridden the Beast at night in the back seat. It is like you are in another world. You are away from all of the lights of the park and it feels like there really is a beast chasing after you. It also seems to run faster at night.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian

Re: A tie for me. by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/5/00 12:42:39 AM

> insane!

______

Man it is hard to say!! I really feel blessed that two coasters in parks near to me are as good a nighttime coaster I have ever been on. My top 3 (difficult to pick!)

1. Big Bad Wolf -- this may very well be THE premier nighttime coaster. With the Bavarian Village lit up in exquisite detail it feels like you are flying through a German town. And the second half of the ride with the near pitch black plunge to the river is awesome in night. Only in the back seat for more swinging of course!

2. PKD Grizzly -- The whole coaster is very dark, but the tunnel at night is maybe my favorite single split second coaster moment. Too many memories on this coaster may cloud my judgement here, but at night this is unquestionably a dynamite coaster.

3. SCBB Giant Dipper -- On the Ocean at night. This must be what all of those classic old amusement parks on East and West coast beaches felt like before the corporate giants and depression ended an era of magic. Tunnel at night is darker than dark!

Lakeside Cyclone at night is also a treat not to be missed. Very dark!! -----K

Re: Phoenix, anyone? by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/5/00 12:45:27 AM

The Phoenix takes the crown, in my book. It's
> just so... good. Honorable mention to Big
> Bad Wolf (not too thrilling, but somehow
> quite fun) and Yankee Canonball (@Canobie
> Lake Park - a classic) -ben

________

Phoenix is tied for my favorite woodie, but at night it doesn't seem to benefit as much from darkness like some other coasters IMO. And yes, just WHAT is it about BBW at night? I agree that it isn't the most thrilling, but somehow is so much fun and remains one of my favorites. A smile inducer for sure! --K

Re: Favorite Nightime Coasters! by Jersey Joe at 4/5/00 2:29:26 AM

> insane!

My favorites in the dark are:

1. Big Bad Wolf @ BBW -- it takes on a whole new feel. A definite winner on the giggle meter. Right Coaster3:16?

2. Twister @ Knoebels -- This ride MUST BE experienced in the dark, preferably in the 2nd row, left seat. Thank Yous go out to Coaster Dan and Jan for that info!

3. Phoenix @ Knoebels -- An excellent day-time ride, but I swear this thing comes to life at night. Is it because it is so well maintained, and run and the wood is all warmed up at night? I think so! The ERT we had at the 1st URC Gathering last year was the best I've EVER experienced on ANY coaster.

Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: Favorite Nightime Coasters! by Cal at 4/5/00 6:19:54 AM

It's got to be Raven. I didn't like this coaster at all during the daytime - it was short and felt rough and juddery. But at night, it turns into a completely different creature altogether - fast, airtime-packed, disorientating and for some reason, a lot smoother. I did this ride last summer with the RCCGB and we had Raven for two hours after the park shut, and we were doing double laps of the track each ride so it was really cool.

The Beast is another ride which comes to life at night, but Raven, Phoenix and MegaFobia (which is right out in the Welsh countryside so when it's dark, it's practically pitch black).

Cal

Re: Two Words: Raven Air by sparky sparky Profile at 4/5/00 9:33:57 AM

The Raven at night cannot be put into words so I won't even try. The ride during the day is good, but not great. The ride at night is the single greatest coaster experience on my coaster planet.

-sparky

Re: Raven Air by Rocket Roger at 4/5/00 10:53:02 AM

> The Raven at night cannot be put into words
> so I won't even try. The ride during the day
> is good, but not great. The ride at night is
> the single greatest coaster experience on my
> coaster planet. -sparky

You got it, Sparky. The Raven at night is beyond words. Completing a circuit "hands up" can be quite a feat on that bird.

I also think Legend has promise of being a great night ride too. Just imagine flying along through the woods, in and out of its numerous tunnels.

It's a shame HW is seldom open past dark. But then there's always SRM, and it's only 1 month away!!

My other night time favorite is The Beast. It's not the coaster it once was during the day, but after dark it becomes its old self again.

Rocket Roger

Re: Favorite Nightime Coasters! by Matthew Nelson at 4/5/00 12:49:30 PM

My two favorite nighttime coasters are Goliath at SFMM and Ghostrider at Knott's

Re: Favorite Nightime Coasters! by Dan at 4/5/00 1:47:22 PM

I've got three biggies...

3. Montu - It's very rare that the park is open when itt is dark, but I managed to get two rides in the front after dark. It's hard to describe how neat that was...

2. Big Thunder Mountain (WDW) - A ride that isn't intense but is cool because of it's theming. It really comes to life at night with it's lighting effects and visuals. Splash Mountain is the same way, although it isn't a roller coaster. I could stand to ride both of these rides for the entire night.

-and the winner is-

1. Batman: The Ride (SFGAm) - It's only great if it is the _last_ train of the night. Usually, it is the last coaster running (excepting Raging Bull now) and the park has completely cleared out by the time you get off. The ride is incredible with no real lighting, and it's eerie to be on it and not hear the buzz of the people around you. Exiting the ride and hearing the next, empty train roar quietly above you is a sight that I'll always remember. Night is the oly time that I'll ride Batman without having to be in the front to really enjoy it.

dan

Re: Not the best overall..but my best night ride! by Jman at 4/5/00 3:14:27 PM

I'm not sure what I would choose as my favorite night coaster, but the best ride I ever had at night was on the Mantis at CP. While normally not a good night coaster, this one ride was spectacular. During it's first year, I rode Mantis as the last coaster of the evening, and as I was turning around the first bank to go down the first hill, the fireworks display for CP started going off...right next to the coaster! It was amazing going through the ride while the fireworks lit up the structure...giving amazing lighting to the track and above.

Jman

Re: Favorite Nightime Coasters! by tomgreen77 at 4/5/00 7:19:32 PM

Mine is definitely the Raven at Holiday World in southern Indiana. It's a fantastic ride in the daytime, packed with airtime. At night it's amazing. When you're tearing through the woods with no lights it's totally awesome.

SCBB... by ben at 4/5/00 8:06:41 PM

>3. SCBB
> Giant Dipper -- On the Ocean at night. This
> must be what all of those classic old
> amusement parks on East and West coast
> beaches felt like before the corporate
> giants and depression ended an era of magic.
> Tunnel at night is darker than dark!

OOPS, I forgot that one. I can't say I've ridden it during the day, but what a treat at night indeed!! And I had no idea what was ahead with the tunnel - all I noticed was as I was getting in the train, I saw how it looked like it went down a good bit exiting the station. Has to be the greatest start to any coaster out there, especially when it's pitch black. And I *still* don't get what that tunnel does. -ben

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.