Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Big Chill

The Big Chill

RobLec RobLec Profile

Posted:
1/7/14 at
2:07:06 PM

Greetings everyone! I hope everyone is keeping warm and some maybe even fortunate enough to be able to stay indoors today. Where I am here near the Island of King's it's been below zero for 36 hours and has just recently moved up into positive territory. Last night I spoke with relatives in Tampa, where it was in the 70's yesterday, but fell into the 30's last night (and is supposed to be no higher than the forties today).

It just occurred to me earlier today that exactly one month ago my family and I were in the midst of a record warm streak in Orlando. Thinking back I am indeed grateful that we took our vacation in December and not one month later in January. As we now watch frost accumulating on our windows, I am warmed by memories of languishing in a hot tub. I hope you have warm, happy thoughts in your hearts as well.

Just think... opening day for most parks is just 3 or 4 months away!

Re: The Big Chill by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 1/7/14 2:15:38 PM
Last trip I took to FL was New Years Eve 2001 New Years 2002. Stopped at Wild Adventures in Valdosta GA. It never got more than 35 the whole day. Next morning I was in Tampa for Bush Gardens and spent a 70* day at BGT. Jan 2nd I went over to IOA with full intention of doing Universal and fund spot on the second, Well I had to be back at work that saturday and the second was a tuesday and they were calling ofr a snow storm in Ga for Wed's. So after IOA, I drove as far north as I felt safe. Couple exits north of Valdosta before the van stated sliding on bridges. Got a motel and awoke to about 8 inches on snow in southern Ga. Waffle House girls were like, WOW, I've never seen this before. I was LOLing but not laughing on my drive all the way to atlanta which was about 5mph average. Nobody down there knew how to drive in it. Jacknifed trucks etc. At least above Atlanta it was clear.

As far as the cold, Heck, it was worse in 77-78 of which I walked five miles to school uphill each way in -25* :)

Hope everyone is warm and safe.
Chuck, who's school was really five miles away but was closed for two weeks for the blizzard of 78

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: The Big Chill by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/7/14 3:48:56 PM
Gee, thanks for the memories, Chuck! Yeah, I remember the winter of 1977..... 25 below and the Ohio river froze, utility companies couldn't get coal barges thru. I had to drive to Indy that morning, and came out to a flat tire. No AAA, just a spare and jack. My car never did warm up that day!

And as far as snow in FL/GA, yeah, been there, done that. Christmas 1989 we drove our infant and toddler sons to Tampa to visit the in-laws. It was five degrees when we stopped near of Atlanta. Everyone was freaking out. Next day, we hit black ice in Florida. The governor had shut down the interstate, no one could get on, but those already on the road had only one choice... DRIVE. There were vehicles parked two deep on both sides of I-75. Those who stopped couldn't get going again. Ten hours to drive 100 miles. Arrived in Tampa after 24 hours behind to wheel to rolling blackouts and lots of ppl hospitalized after eating half cooked turkey. Good times.

Rest of the vacation went okay, but the HVAC at work had frozen while I was gone. All hell broke loose. What we're going thru now is really nothing so memorable compared to those days.

Re: The Big Chill by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/7/14 4:06:01 PM
One of my customers called me today and the first thing he said was, "I bet you wish you were on a roller coaster today!" My reply: "Only if it's in California or Florida. I'd prefer California, as there's more to choose from."

See how people who hardly know me..know me?

I had to put air in my front tires this morning. Couldn't do it with the thick gloves I was wearing, so I had to take them off. It took about 30 seconds for my hands to be completely useless. They didn't feel normal until I got o work 45 minutes or so later.

"Island of Kings"...I like that, Rob.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: The Big Chill by antikythera antikythera Profile at 1/7/14 5:03:11 PM
Last trip I took to Florida was in 2012. Didn't ride any coasters but man was that warm weather down there nice. Waking up in the nation's capitol this morning and seeing the gauge at 3 degrees made me wish I was back in San Diego riding the Giant Dipper at Belmont Park. It's been in my mind for months now at how great a classic ride it was and how warm it was in September. I'd do anything to relive those moments for a day. Three more months, I keep telling myself, three more months.