Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24

Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24

ktujon ktujon Profile

Posted:
11/28/13 at
1:56:56 AM

Arrived at Magic Mountain alittle before noon to the sight of this:
I walked over to Goliath and saw had a line near the entrance 45min seemed like so I went and got a platinum flash pass (instead of watching the dvd they quizzed me about the flash pass which I was able to pass) and reserved the next available ride time for Full Throttle which was the reason for making my trip out here!

After waiting 9 min til noon I got into the station and waited for the 1st row about 5 cycles, the loading seemed kind of slow since they kept telling everyone not to lower their lapbars
The launch was no different than any other Premier out there (Flight of Fear, Joker's Jinx) My favorite part of the ride was the hangtime at the top of the loop which made the drop afterward feel bigger than what it really is.

Goliath was next, got in the 3rd row and def felt more enjoyable than my first ride at night in the back since I was able to see the track and layout, but not as amazing as the other big coasters I've rode back East

Headed over to the next ride I came for to anticipate Great Adventure's upcoming attraction: Lex Luthor! Waited about 15min after the flash pass entrance
The lift going up was very sporadic from fast then slow then fast again, when it got the top I felt a bump then nothing happened, a few moments later came the drop! it was a pretty long enjoyable one kind of like Drop Zone but felt twice as long.

Next rode Scream didn't need to use flash pass since the line started in the station, I think they switched color schemes since its now dark blue I do remember it being orange last year. Rough as usual but felt pretty fast.

Colossus was next, I had trouble finding the flash pass entrance as it was definitely needed with the 45 min wait since the que line was fairly packed. Since they were only running the left side, the flash pass entrance was on the ride side and to find it through the maze of the empty que on the ride. Sat near the back, the ride is surprisingly smooth!

Headed over to Batman the ride: here's what the flash pass entrance looked like, compared to Great Adventure, a coaster would be nice in that background
Rode the front and back not much difference with the ride at Great Adventure but the terrain I felt I could have kicked some branches of the tree near the end of the ride, I found out with platinum if I wanted a reride I had to sit in the middle rows and also the person handling flash pass duties was also managing the line into the station, so anyone that walked through the flash pass entrance probably could get away without being seen unless your sneaking to the front.

Green Lantern was next, instead of using the flash pass I opted to wait in the single ride line which I was the only one waiting and it took about 5min for them to plug me into a group, I noticed with short people there was a step stool provided even I had trouble getting in! The ride was short and thrilling for me as it threw me around not knowing where I was going.

Headed over to Riddler's Revenge, once again I was the only one waiting for the single rider line and with this I get placed right away on the next train in the front row. Such an amazing ride with no discomfort in the legs or crotch compared to the other B&M standups. I walked around to try the back row which the ride op granted my request and got on the next train for that as well, once again no issues and also a very enjoyable ride with more G's in the back. I could marathon this coaster all day if I wanted to...but onward!

I tried Goldrusher for the first time, it has great views of Full Throttle and is pretty much a longer version of Hershey's Trailblazer with a nice helix at the end of the ride.

I climbed up the mountain to Superman (only running the left side), here you can see a support of Full Throttle with the flash pass I can bypass the hour long wait but they tell me which row to ride the outside seats have an armguard that prevents from lifting up or out your arms (I guess they fear your arms will get chopped off from going into the tunnel) I got in 3 rides, 3rd row right side, front row right side and 3rd row middle right. Def enjoy the front since you can feel the wind on your face after the drop. The launch isn't really spectacular to me.

Ninja was next since the flash pass entrance was entering through the exit I had to pick a seat. The line was pretty long guessing 45min, I feel bad I had to upset whoever was waiting for the row I chose because everyone was giving me that stare for which row to choose. A very enjoyable ride better than iron dragon.

Walked over to Tatsu and bypassed that long line waited about 3 cycles in the station, the ride is nothing different to me than Superman Ultimate Flight but with stunning visuals over the trees and views of the park and a giant loop.

Apocalypse was next, bypassed the 45min line and got a reride in the backseat with my platinum pass this time, I prefered last year when I rode this at night, the tunnels seemed better then but enjoyed the 1st two drops.

Unfortunately I was disappointed that X2 wasn't reopened by the time I got there I had planned this trip since July...

At least Revolution was opened to my delight to a pretty empty station

I tried the back this time since I rode front row last year still painful as my head kept slamming to the sides including the cheek and ear near the beginning of the ride but nevertheless it still runs pretty well.

Headed over to Viper with a pretty empty station as well, the ride was surprisingly fast and not painful at all since they use similar shoulder restraints to Anaconda, (no seatbelt mind you as well as Colossus!)

It was close to 5pm and I wanted another ride on Full Throttle as the line spilled out onto the midway I went back to the flash pass office and bought another ride for $15, instead of doing something to my Qbot device he wrote me up:
I headed back to the ride and handed the card over and got into the station I waited for the back this time. You can see the green light on the lapbars They will turn off once the ride starts. The shin pads do cause discomfort in my shins since the sharp edge digs into the shins. My hope is they will change that restraint somehow since I noticed that there's a crack in the middle of the shin pad restraints already! I also noticed the head pad is not connected to the train since I could easily pull it back.
I really enjoy the back seat better since the hangtime on the loop is even longer than the front and also feel hangtime after the backward launch. Though after you fly off the tophat you will feel the braking force which can briefly be painful.

After spending over an hour writing this post and need to sleep for work tomorrow morning. I will continue this trip report later!

Re: Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24 Photo by AngryGumball AngryGumball Profile at 11/28/13 2:02:54 PM
So, something about Full Throttle...it's cousin up in the Bay Area, Superman Ultimate Flight (SFDK), also now operates in a similar manner. There's a Six Flags chain-wide mandate that all their coasters must have seatbelts now. It's unfortunate, and dispatch times on both coasters are going to hurt/are hurting. SUF had dispatch times of 30-45 seconds but have doubled when I went on 11/23. Previously, these 2 coasters operated with only lapbars. SFMM also received seatbelts for Goliath (which never had them, and heard reports of it operating the same way where we can't pull down lapbars).

Hopefully the slow dispatch times are just "growing pains" as us riders and park employees adjust to this.

User Submitted Picture

* This post was modified at 11/28/13 2:07:14 PM *

Re: Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/28/13 3:03:16 PM
AngryGumball said:
There's a Six Flags chain-wide mandate that all their coasters must have seatbelts now.

Nitro? Boo. Hiss.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24 by AngryGumball AngryGumball Profile at 11/28/13 3:33:31 PM
beastmaster said:

AngryGumball said:
There's a Six Flags chain-wide mandate that all their coasters must have seatbelts now.

Nitro? Boo. Hiss.

Honestly, don't be surprised. I think this is their reaction to the tragic NTG incident this past summer, and the lawsuits for not "being proactive." It's hard to tell at the moment as most Six Flags properties are seasonal. Both SFMM and SFDK are now year round parks (Yay, finally a year-round park in the bay area, I no longer have an offseason) so they were the first 2 parks to really see. I'm curious as to what changes happen at SFOT when they open for Holiday in the Park (Titan, I'm sure you will be getting seatbelts much like your cousin at MM...)

Re: Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24 by alpengeistno3 at 11/29/13 1:08:45 AM
I fully expect Nitro to get them in some form (if not the original hooks that were removed shortly after it opened in 2001.) The only possible bright side could be it may give Six Flags incentive to staff the ride with 4 ops on the platform instead of 2 to speed up the checking process (fat chance, but they did do that to Supes at SFA, so if they can do it, so can Gradv.)

Paul

Re: Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 12/3/13 1:21:15 PM
beastmaster said:

AngryGumball said:

Nitro? Boo. Hiss.

I'll slap a fool. How about...better training? or even an indicator light ON the ride restraints somehow. Maybe the bottom of the train, meaning somewhere near the front edge of each car. They could light up (just like the control center light) when the restraints are clear. These would NOT replace the ultimate approval of the control center lights though, where the main ride op approves the dispatch.

I know that'd be costly probably, but it'd be better than putting seatbelts on rides that were designed to be fine without them, like Nitro.

I'm all about safety. There are rides that I've been on where I was surtprised there are no seatbelts, or just how the retraints are, but Nitro does not need seatbelts in my eyes.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/3/13 2:26:03 PM
mugen828 said:

beastmaster said:

AngryGumball said:

Nitro? Boo. Hiss.

Nitro does not need seatbelts in my eyes.

They don't go in your EYES, silly! :p

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24 by alpengeistno3 at 12/3/13 11:28:51 PM
mugen828 said:

beastmaster said:

AngryGumball said:

Nitro? Boo. Hiss.

I'll slap a fool. How about...better training? or even an indicator light ON the ride restraints somehow. Maybe the bottom of the train, meaning somewhere near the front edge of each car. They could light up (just like the control center light) when the restraints are clear. These would NOT replace the ultimate approval of the control center lights though, where the main ride op approves the dispatch.

I know that'd be costly probably, but it'd be better than putting seatbelts on rides that were designed to be fine without them, like Nitro.

I'm all about safety. There are rides that I've been on where I was surtprised there are no seatbelts, or just how the retraints are, but Nitro does not need seatbelts in my eyes.

Kyle, Nitro already has those things. While not a light, the yellow line is a simple indicator that the restraint is in the locked position. No fancy lights necessary. The control board also has lights for each row that must be cleared before the train will be allowed to dispatch.

The irony, from the way I understand it, is that NTG had a similar system. Each restraint had a green lighted indicator and the board has ultimate say on whether the train was locked. The unfortunate difference is that the lawsuit blames Six Flags for not being proactive after the Superman incident. Despite B&M's flawless safety record with the hyper coaster trains, there is no way they can justify not adding some stupid seatbelt measuring device.

I did not go out of my way to renew my Six Flags pass this year because I anticipate the same problem with adding seatbelts to Nitro as SROS; just because they say they are the same length, they are NEVER that way in practice. Playing musical chairs at SFA pisses me off enough. To have to deal with it after driving 3 1/2 hours up to Gradv would make me livid.

Paul

Re: Magic Mountain Trip Report 11/24 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 12/4/13 3:10:57 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

mugen828 said:

beastmaster said:

AngryGumball said:

Nitro? Boo. Hiss.

Kyle, Nitro already has those things. While not a light, the yellow line is a simple indicator that the restraint is in the locked position. No fancy lights necessary. The control board also has lights for each row that must be cleared before the train will be allowed to dispatch.

The irony, from the way I understand it, is that NTG had a similar system. Each restraint had a green lighted indicator and the board has ultimate say on whether the train was locked. The unfortunate difference is that the lawsuit blames Six Flags for not being proactive after the Superman incident. Despite B&M's flawless safety record with the hyper coaster trains, there is no way they can justify not adding some stupid seatbelt measuring device.

I did not go out of my way to renew my Six Flags pass this year because I anticipate the same problem with adding seatbelts to Nitro as SROS; just because they say they are the same length, they are NEVER that way in practice. Playing musical chairs at SFA pisses me off enough. To have to deal with it after driving 3 1/2 hours up to Gradv would make me livid.

Paul

Nice reply.

I know the yellow lines are there, but I mean, I don't know. I don't think it needs seatbelts at all. It'd be like...adding on something to something that doens't need it. Like adding doors onto a car with doors already.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv