Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing

Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing

SirWillow SirWillow Profile

Posted:
11/20/13 at
4:40:48 PM

Maybe only the second time I've ever looked at a waterslide and thought, "That doesn't look right. Can that even work?"

This is the new 4 person slide opening at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City. it'll be the tallest slide in the world, hit 65mph, and has a "speed bump." Except that speed bump is low enough that it looks like people are going to fly off of this thing. Take a look:

http://gawker.com/the-worlds-tallest-waterslide-looks-as-terrifying-as-i-1467661327

so is it just me? What do you think about this beast?

Re: Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing by houstondavid houstondavid Profile at 11/20/13 6:41:21 PM
Hi,

I agree that the proportions look all wrong.

If the bump is 1/4 the height of the main hill (which seems generous), the speed would be cut not quite in half at the top of the bump (3/4 the original energy gives you 9/16 the speed). That would be 35 mph over the bump. Not sure, but I suspect the drag on a water slide is relatively high (compared to a steel coaster), so maybe with drag losses taking it down to 25 mph you would follow the curve of the bump.

Seems that water, an inflated tube (guessing), and unrestrained people add an awful lot of unknowns that make such rides dangerous. What sort of safety record to these mega-slides (say something over 100') have?

Personally, I'll stick with the wheels and trains.

David

Re: Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing by AngryGumball AngryGumball Profile at 11/20/13 10:19:57 PM
This slide looks terrifying, 'nuff said. I'd still be down to try it out but I can't guarantee that I won't leave any dark streaks behind me :)
Re: Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/21/13 9:16:22 AM
AngryGumball said:

This slide looks terrifying, 'nuff said. I'd still be down to try it out but I can't guarantee that I won't leave any dark streaks behind me :)

Thanks for the imagery.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing by MABrider MABrider Profile at 11/22/13 1:00:36 PM
(I fully expect that) the ride wouldn't hurt me.
Climbing those stairs would.
Mike B.
Re: Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/23/13 12:10:12 PM
AngryGumball said:

lmfao! Oh god :tries to block image from mind:

Re: Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing by incineratorr incineratorr Profile at 11/26/13 10:05:34 AM
wow, looking at that section of the slide at that angle, it looks like people would just launch right off of that hump, maybe......that part would have those hyrdro magnetic sections that'll hold down the raft but the passengers better hold on no matter what!
Re: Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 11/26/13 11:06:59 AM
This definitely seems like something me and my idiot friends would try!

Things like that, scare me, which is a thrill I rarely get anymore. Man my nerves would be shot after that thing!

Hope it's completely safe. Which I don't doubt it is, I mean, you guys can go first, but I bet it's totally safe :p

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Waterslide- do the physics work on this thing by Link Link Profile at 11/27/13 8:16:17 AM
You are not the only one.

Hoping it's just the camera's angle and not a blatant disregard for the laws of physics.

* This post was modified at 12/3/13 10:07:31 AM *