Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New Coaster for Lagoon - 2001 or 2002

New Coaster for Lagoon - 2001 or 2002

a-mad

Posted:
4/4/00 at
6:54:43 PM

For what it's worth:

A member of Lagoon management lives in my neighborhood and I recently visited w/ him about the future of the park. He mentioned to me that the large plot of vacant land just north of the park has finally been purchased by the park. Apparently the owner of the land had been holding out selling it for years. This provides maximum new acreage, and, according to Grant (the manager), the space to build a new coaster. I hadn't realized it before, but it makes sense that they've been building minimum space attractions in the last few years (Wild Mouse, S&S Tower, SkyCoaster) with the exception of their rapids ride, which has proven to be wildly popular. They've also got permission to build at least 210' high since the town of Farmington recently passed an ordinance in order for the Rocket (S&S) to be built... When pressed about the potential coaster, he hinted steel rather than wood... I put my two cents in for a hypercoaster... there is PLENTY of land for it.... Maybe an invert (B&M?!)... SFEG is close to Salt Lake and it has a Vekoma SLC...

a-mad

Re: New Coaster for Lagoon - 2001 or 2002 by Fred at 4/4/00 7:34:00 PM

> For what it's worth: A member of Lagoon
> management lives in my neighborhood and I
> recently visited w/ him about the future of
> the park. He mentioned to me that the large
> plot of vacant land just north of the park
> has finally been purchased by the park.
> Apparently the owner of the land had been
> holding out selling it for years. This
> provides maximum new acreage, and, according
> to Grant (the manager), the space to build a
> new coaster. I hadn't realized it before,
> but it makes sense that they've been
> building minimum space attractions in the
> last few years (Wild Mouse, S&S Tower,
> SkyCoaster) with the exception of their
> rapids ride, which has proven to be wildly
> popular. They've also got permission to
> build at least 210' high since the town of
> Farmington recently passed an ordinance in
> order for the Rocket (S&S) to be built...
> When pressed about the potential coaster, he
> hinted steel rather than wood... I put my
> two cents in for a hypercoaster... there is
> PLENTY of land for it.... Maybe an invert
> (B&M?!)... SFEG is close to Salt Lake and it
> has a Vekoma SLC... a-mad

Oh I sure hope it is a Hypercoaster. But I wouldn't count on it to much. They are quite expensive---$10 million. However, If SLC's are $10 million like Premier claims they are---hopefully Lagoon will decide to build something orignal and not painfully conventional. But then again, to most of Lagoon's clientele, and SLC will be breaktakingly original.

I still think Lagoon should build a CCI woodie in the back of the park around some of the picnic paviliions. Oh, we'll just wait and see what they do! Hey maybe S&S will talk them into buying a Thrust AIR!

FRED

Most likely not a TA2K by a-mad at 4/4/00 7:49:47 PM

Hey maybe S&S will talk them into
> buying a Thrust AIR!

Hey Fred!

I asked specifically that same question. Considering the close proximity of S&S in Logan, etc. I would have thought that a Thrust Air would be a contender. Apparently, they've had some problems w/ S&S for some reason.. he wouldn't go into specifics. This is all surprising considering the strong relationship S&S has built w/ Cedar Fair, and I know they're quite satisfied w/ the Rocket... I'm not sure what's going on....

Speaking of TA2K... we should plan a road trip up to Logan and plead w/ management to take a test run, eh?

a-mad

Re: Most likely not a TA2K by Coaster Steve at 4/4/00 8:37:37 PM

> Hey maybe S&S will talk them into Hey Fred!
> I asked specifically that same question.
> Considering the close proximity of S&S in
> Logan, etc. I would have thought that a
> Thrust Air would be a contender. Apparently,
> they've had some problems w/ S&S for some
> reason.. he wouldn't go into specifics. This
> is all surprising considering the strong
> relationship S&S has built w/ Cedar Fair,
> and I know they're quite satisfied w/ the
> Rocket... I'm not sure what's going on....
> Speaking of TA2K... we should plan a road
> trip up to Logan and plead w/ management to
> take a test run, eh? a-mad

>That's right a-mad, I e-mailed S&S not too long ago and was asking about the empty side of the Rocket, and they replied by saying they don't have any plans to install a new ride into the empty tower of the Rocket because Lagoon hasn't even paid back S&S for the Rocket. It's good news to hear that Lagoon bought that empty lot, I always dreamed of Lagoon building a hyper coaster into that field, now my dreams may come true, but it makes me wonder if Lagoon will have enough money for a hyper if they can't even pay for the Rocket. There is one thing for sure Lagoon is in NEED of a new coaster very badly, I'm hoping a big coaster, steel or wood, they need one. I'm thinking maybe an Arrow, their headquarters are only about 10-15 miles down the road from Lagoon, so it's not a bad idea, maybe Arrow will start building hypers again and start building several coasters each year.
> I have a question for Fred and a-mad. Have you heard anything about Flying Carpet being removed and replaced with a Top-Scan? I heard this from Screamscape and hoping it is true, since I want to look forward on going on a new ride this year.

>Coaster Steve

Lagoon's Top Scan by a-mad at 4/5/00 11:19:49 AM

Yes, it mentioned in a recent article of Deseret News that the Flying Carpet will be replaced by a Top Scan with the title - 'Samarai'. A new go-kart attraction will also open: Double Thunder Raceway, with an addit'l $5 charge. The article also mentioned that the third Rocket tower 'would not be added this season'....

a-mad

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.