Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition!

Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition!

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
11/3/13 at
6:03:26 PM

Welcome, my friends, to the 2013 BAFAPARC awards ceremony. For the folks in the audience who may have joined us since last year, the BAFAPARCS were established a few years back.

BAFAPARC is an acronym for Beastmaster's Awards For Amusement Parks And Roller Coasters. I had a total of 22 amusement park outings this season, so there's some ground to cover. Let's get started, shall we?
--------------------------------------------------
MBA (Meeting Beastmaster AGAIN?!?!) Award, Women's Division: We have a tie for the first award! Jen and Judy P, at 7 outings apiece. Runner up, Hayley Galante with 3 (but she made me a bracelet of Mets colors, so she gets extra credit :)

Men's Division Winner: Ken Galante, Hayley's dad, with four.
-------------------------------------------------

Needle In A Haystack Award: to ktujon (Jon) for finding me on a Friday night in the dark at Hershey, in a crowded area near the gate, when we hadn't even made plans to meet.
Even The Great Ones Have An Off Day Award: Lightning Racer this past Friday and Saturday. Slow, sluggish...but still fun.
New Faces In Old Places Award: To several people I met for the first time this season, from URC and elsewhere, and shared rides with: Matt G, Maryann Q, Jaclyn and Chris M and their friend Jaya, Jersey Joe N. and his friend Chris, Jon, Corey, Mike R, Jeph, and Mac Daddy. Great to have met you all, and thanks for the rides and company!
Worst Ride Of The Season Award: The cart to First Aid at Hershey in June after passing out in the heat. Special thanks to Judy for staying with me and making sure I was back to the motel safely, and to Ken and Jen for following up with me by phone afterwards.
Second Chance Award: Skyrush. Slightly more tolerable than last year, although still fairly painful.
Can An Amusement Park Make You Sad? Award: Conneaut Lake.
No Sense Of Direction Award: To me, getting hopelessly lost heading back to my brother's place from Conneaut Lake and ending up in Ohio.
Best NEW New-To-Me Ride Award: Gatekeeper, my first wing coaster. Two fun rides, one front, one back.
Best OLD New-To-Me Ride Award: Blue Streak at Conneaut Lake. Once I figured out where to sit, most of my 30 rides, my most this season, were quite fun.
Luck Of The Irish Award: Jen and I were fortunate to be at GrAdv the day El Toro re-opened after his "illness." We had the best rides of the season that day. And she IS 1/4 Irish...I checked!
Am I In The Right Place? Award: To me, for opening and closing the season at parks NOT called Great Adventure.
Grass Is Not Always Greener Award: Apocalypse is just as bad in MD as it was in IL.
Variety Is The Spice Of Life Award: At Coasting For Kids in June, we marathoned three coasters instead of one:

Steel Force..24 rides in 1:50
Talon...27 rides in 1:30
Hydra...26 rides in 1:30.

With some rerides and other rides, Judy and I had over 85 rides that day (and raised a bunch of bucks for a great cause, too!)
Time Flies When You're Having Fun Award: My watch, for separating itself from my wrist on Ravine Flyer II. Rest In Pieces, my friend.
Best In-Park Food Award: Hot dog and onion rings at Pinks, Cedar Point.
Best Out-Of-Park Food: Chet and Matt's Pizza, Sandusky (but the iced tea was awful!)
Worst In-Park Food Award: Sausage sandwich at Great Adventure (but the fries were delish!
Worst Out-Of-Park Food Award: Fried oysters at Captain D's, Ashland VA.
Boy, Is My Face Red Award: to Me, for forgetting my friend Jaclyn's name when introducing her to Jen at the Riding Of The Bull event in September. What can I say, only her screen name was coming to me!
R.I.P. Award: Rolling Thunder, of course. But those last rides left me some good memories of a ride I didn't love in its later years.
By Any Other Name Award: GrAdv's new drop tower will be known to me as Zoominator, not Zumanjaro. Accepting the award: Homer J. Simpson.
Perchance To Dream Award: A possible first-time trip to two or three Missouri parks next June. Show-Me State, indeed!
Blast From The Past Award: Good Halloween Music at hershey..Creedence, Eagles, Warren Zevon, Santana, Steve Miller, Classics IV, Blue Oyster Cult, even Napoleon XIV. You can guess the songs...
Pleasure Loves Company Award: Of course, the well-known expression is MISERY loves company. But I'm far from miserable when I ride with the recipients of this award: Jen; Judy P and her occasional traveling companions; Paul; Ken, Hayley and Hayden Galante; Laura J.; Zach G.

I'll ride with any of you anytime, anywhere, any ride (well, maybe not Dark Knight :)

Mike

* This post was modified at 11/3/13 6:09:21 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 11/3/13 6:10:06 PM
Glad I could help out with the awards ceremony -- it was nice to meet you and others from URC over this summer. You're all a bunch of great people and I look forward to catching a few rides together whenever we may cross paths.
Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by ToroGirl at 11/3/13 8:17:02 PM
I've been calling the drop tower at Great Adventure "Jumanji".

I like the awards format, Mike!

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by alpengeistno3 at 11/3/13 8:57:22 PM
Drop of Doom works fine for me.

Nice awards, Mike. It's too bad our Hershey time was cut short this year. Always good hanging with you (as long as it is not with 94 mph rain hitting me in the face. I like to be able to see my riding partners!)

Paul

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 11/4/13 3:39:00 PM
I love these awards, but it also means the off-season is upon us. It's been a terrific year. We made a lot of memories with some really great people. A special thanks to Mike, Jen, Paul, Lee, Judy, John, Dion, and Corey. It was great to meet you guys and spend time with you guys. I managed to visit 19 different parks this year, the most since 2001. I spent 37 days at parks this year, 24 of which were at parks other than Kennywood. I added 27 coasters and 5 new parks. Here are my awards

Best New Steel Coaster:
Win: Leviathan/ Canada's Wonderland
Place: Gatekeeper/ Cedar Point
Show: Wild Eagle/ Dollywood
HM: Powder Keg and Wildfire at SDC

Best New Wooden Coaster:
Win: Outlaw Run/ SDC
Place: Blue Streak/ Conneaut
Show: Tornado/ Strickers Grove
HM: Jack Rabbit at Seabreeze and Silver Comet at MFI

Best New Park:
Win: Silver Dollar City
Place: Seabreeze
Show: Martin's Fantasy Island

Best New Flat Ride:
Win: Time Warp/ MFI
Place: Looper/ Knoebles
Show: Shockwave/ Canada's Wonderland
HM: Houdini's Great Escape at SF Great Adventure

Best New Dark Ride:
Win: Flooded Mine/ Silver Dollar City
Place: Den of Lost Thieves/ Indiana Beach
Show: Haunted Mansion/ Knoebles
Note: Black Diamond would have won if it were considered a dark ride.

Best New Flying Scooters:
Win: Lakeside Gliders: Michigan's Adventure
Place: Seabreeze Gliders/ Seabreeze
Show: Frontier Flyers/ Hershey
HM: Hornets Nest/ Darien Lake

Best New Carousel:
Win: Knoebles
Place: Seabreeze
Show: Conneaut

Most Improved Wooden Coaster:
Win: Cornball Express/ Indiana Beach
Place: Twister/ Knoebles
Show: Georgia Cyclone/ SF Over Georgia
HM: Predator at Darien Lake and Thunder Road at Carowinds
Note: The Beast was running extremely smooth this year, but has been severely trimmed.

Most Improved Park:
Win: Michigan's Adventure
Place: Indiana Beach
Show: Darien Lake

Best Night Ride:
Win: Magnum XL 200/ Cedar Point
Place: Skyrush/ Hershey
Show: Jack Rabbit/ Kennywood

Longest lines of the year: Cedar Point
Shortest lines of the year: Dorney

Milestone Coasters:
Wildfire at SDC: my 300th.
Firehawk at Kings Island: My daughter's 200th
Stinger at Dorney: My son's 200th.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your theme park experiences with me through URC. Hopefully 2014 will as good as 2013.

Ken

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 11/4/13 3:49:21 PM
Such a pleasure to read! I smiled the whole way through.

My favorite might have to be:

"Time Flies When You're Having Fun Award: My watch, for separating itself from my wrist on Ravine Flyer II. Rest In Pieces, my friend."

Hopefully I shall see you in either SFGAdv or another park next year! Can't believe I didn't hit Hershey at least once this year.

Thanks for writing this up Mike!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/4/13 4:23:02 PM
Great list, I enjoyed reading it. I don't have anything like the 'time flies', but I lost a lens on my sunglasses years ago on gwazi. The frame was already cracked, so it was a matter of time till it broke apart. A few years later a guy I was riding with on RRR at Universal Orlando lost his phone.

Hopefully next summer will be better than this one. I would like to join you guys for some rides. So far other than Universal studios and disney world, the only other likely confirmed park is BGW. I'm hoping for Six flags Gadv as well.

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/4/13 7:50:16 PM
Someday, the Moon will be in the Seventh House and Jupiter will align with Mars, and we'll come up with a date that works for a lotta URC folks and we'll get a good size group together. And that day will come before you know it.

Mike

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/5/13 4:22:45 AM
frontrow said:

Best New Flat Ride:

You got in alot of park trips, great year. Actually that Martin's Fantasy Island ride is called 'Mind Warp'. Man that thing looks sick! It's a S&D Leisure rides 'Loop Fighter'. Why American parks aren't adding more of these flats is beyond me. BTW Ken, what does 'HM' stand for?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIbBa4xelAs

* This post was modified at 11/5/13 4:25:12 AM *

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 11/5/13 10:28:31 AM
Overbanked said:

frontrow said:

Best New Flat Ride:

You got in alot of park trips, great year. Actually that Martin's Fantasy Island ride is called 'Mind Warp'. Man that thing looks sick! It's a S&D Leisure rides 'Loop Fighter'. Why American parks aren't adding more of these flats is beyond me. BTW Ken, what does 'HM' stand for?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIbBa4xelAs

I believe it means Honorable Mention.

I agree that many parks need to start looking outside the box and incorporate some of the more zany and off the wall flats/coasters like the one below.

http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/rides/coasters/free-fly

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 11/5/13 1:02:08 PM
You got in alot of park trips, great year. Actually that Martin's Fantasy Island ride is called 'Mind Warp'. Man that thing looks sick! It's a S&D Leisure rides 'Loop Fighter'. Why American parks aren't adding more of these flats is beyond me.

Actually Mind Warp is a Technical Park Loop Fighter. Having ridden it the ride is one of the craziest I've been on and I'd like to see more in American parks.

* This post was modified at 11/5/13 1:04:13 PM *

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/5/13 1:39:18 PM
^^^My bad, you're right Geauga.

antikythera said:

I believe it means Honorable Mention.

Thanks Antikythera, I knew that it was something simple that we used all of the time, but I had a brain cramp, LOL.

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 11/5/13 3:42:55 PM
Perchance To Dream Award: A possible first-time trip to two or three Missouri parks next June. Show-Me State, indeed!

Mike, I just KNEW that sending you all of those PARK MAPS from my midwest trip would eventually pay off. Not sure if you ever got one from Silver Dollar City. Let's see ... it went something like this:
1. King's Island
2. Holiday World
3. 6 Flags, St. Louis
4. Worlds of Fun
5. Silver Dollar City
6. Beech Bend ... never got in due to heavy rain

I suggest you work out over the winter so that you are ready to be an "active participant" on Outlaw Run.

Make sure you talk with me about which Motel 6's were ok on this trip. Can you say "infected brown recluse spider bite" or "3 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics?"

In spite of a slew (is that a word?)of medical problems over the summer, I managed to get my coaster total up to 310.

My big goal for next year is to spend one day at Dorney Park with ... Jen! :)

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by drachen drachen Profile at 11/6/13 12:42:06 PM
I love the BAFAPARCS! I look forward to them every year. It's a great way for us all to highlight share what we enjoyed about the park season.

Enough mushy stuff...

drachen's submission for the 2013 BAFAPARCS!

New to Me Park of the Year

Nominees:
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
California's Great America
Belmont Park
Gilroy Gardens

Winner: California's Great America

I loved the heck out of Santa Cruz. I really enjoyed Gilroy Gardens. But Great America exceeded all of my expectations. It's got a nice selection of flats, a great park layout, and an above average collection of roller coasters. I'm a big fan.

First Time in a Long Time Park of the Year

Nominees:
Cedar Point (10 years)
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (10 years)
Knott's Berry Farm (8 years)

Winner: Knott's Berry Farm

I had a fantastic time at Cedar Point - but I was expecting it. It would actually get the bronze medal in this category this year.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom was much better than I remembered it, and I actually think it's my favorite Six Flags park thus far.

But Knott's was great in every way. I had been there twice before, but for some reason, this year I fell in love with the place all over again. People have taken issue with what Cedar Fair has done with the place, but I really think they're doing a fantastic job.

New to Me Steel Coaster of the Year

Nominees:
GateKeeper - Cedar Point
Maverick - Cedar Point
Flight Deck - California's Great America
Superman: Ultimate Flight - Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Winner: Maverick - Cedar Point

While it doesn't make my personal top 10, I can see why it's so popular. It's really fantastic, from start to finish.

New to Me Wooden Coaster of the Year

Nominees:
Giant Dipper - Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Giant Dipper - Belmont Park
Gold Striker - California's Great America
Flying Turns - Knoebels
Blue Streak - Conneaut Lake Park

Winner: Gold Striker - California's Great America

I have no idea where to place Flying Turns because you really can't compare it to anything else.

I almost went with Blue Streak too, as I'd much rather ride an old wooden coaster than a new one. Truth be told, I could make a case for each of these rides.

But Gold Striker is fantastic. Out of all of the Great Coaster International coasters I've ridden, this one sits firmly at number one.

New for 2013 Coaster of the Year

Nominees:
Gold Striker - California's Great America
GateKeeper - Cedar Point
Flying Turns - Knoebels

Winner: Flying Turns - Knoebels

Again, I could make a case for each of these. Flying Turns wasn't the best of the three new coasters I rode this year, but it and the park deserve recognition for opening the ride this year.

It's everything I thought it was. For me, it's another one of those rides that you just can't get enough of.

Best Coaster Ride of the Year

Nominees:
Gold Striker - that first ride in the back of the train
GateKeeper - Back right seat
Magnum XL-200 - first ride in over 10 years
Flying Turns - opening night

Winner: Flying Turns

As I've said, it's not a better coaster than any of the other rides. But that first Flying Turns experience will be my most memorable.

Best New to Me Non-Coaster Ride

Nominees:
WindSeeker - Cedar Point
StratosFear - Knoebels
Haunted Castle - Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Loof Carousel - Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Berserker - California's Great America

Winner: Loof Carousel - Santa Cruz

Not quite as beautiful as the Knoebels Grand Carousel, but a bit more fun to ride. On this, one of two brass ring carousels left, the outside horses moved up and down, making grabbing the rings just a bit more challenging.

Flume of the Year

I love log flumes almost as much as I love roller coasters. I rode some great ones this year.

Nominees:
Zoom Phloom - Morey's Piers, redone for 2013
Flume - Knoebels, with my two girls
Log Flume - Seabreeze, full boat - What a drop!
Timber Mountain Log Ride - Knott's Berry Farm

Winner: Timber Mountain Log Ride

2013 saw a totally re-done Timber Mountain, with new and improved scenes, including animatronic characters. The ride feels like it belongs at Disney. It was already my favorite log flume. Now it's added a lot of distance between itself and my number two.

Carousel of the Year

I got on a real carousel kick this year, having ridden many of the best in the country.

Nominees (by park):
Seabreeze
Hersheypark
Knoebels
Cedar Point (Cedar Downs)

Winner: Seabreeze

I went to the park last year, but didn't ride the carousel. I did take some photos and walk around the house, but I didn't go for a ride.

This year I did, and it was an absolute joy to experience. The workmanship of not only the horses, but also the fantastic carousel house is really something. The old photos and artifacts that surround the ride ride make the house double as a carousel museum of sorts. Then, of course, there's the old, functioning organ. You can tell Seabreeze takes pride in their carousel, as do the other parks listed above.

Dark Ride of the Year

Nominees:
Haunted Mansion - Knoebels
Black Diamond - Knoebels
Timber Mountain Log Ride - Knott's Berry Farm
Calico Mine Ride - Knott's Berry Farm
Haunted Castle - Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Devil's Den - Conneaut Lake Park

Winner - Black Diamond

Honestly, I think Black Diamond is every bit the dark ride that Haunted Mansion is. Where the latter is cheesy-good, Black Diamond is clever-good.

Both are equally spooky, but Black Diamond adds more of a fun factor. I think it's the best overall attraction at Knoebels.

Sky Ride of the Year

Nominees
Dutch Wonderland (with the kiddos)
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (along the beach)
Delta Flyer - California's Great America
Knoebels (mountain setting)

Winner: Delta Flyer

Not only is it the perfect way to travel to the back of the park, but it is very scenic. The ride is wonderfully maintained, and it's just a pleasure to ride in those four seater Von Roll carriages.

Water Slide of the Year

HyrdoRacer mat slides at Seabreeze

Seabreeze has a pretty nice water park. It involved a lot of firsts for me, including a bowl slide and the fantastic HydroRacer.

Schwarzkopf Love

Berzerker and Orbit at California's Great America

The Bayern Kurve and Enterprise models are a dying breed, and I hadn't experienced the Schwarzkopf versions until this year. Loved them.

Almost Made Me Vomit Ride

No need for nominees - there is one clear winner...

Control Freak - Belmont Park

I was fine during the first half of the ride, when I was in control. When I gave up control to the other gondola, I was almost ready to puke - which has never happened to me.

Best Day Spent at a Park

Nominees:
Cedar Point with Fast Lane Plus
Seabreeze with the in-laws
Knott's Berry Farm (two 4 hour park-closing trips)

Winner: Cedar Point

I'm still not a fan of pay-to-cut programs. But I had an absolute blast all by myself at my favorite park, armed with a line-cutting bracelet.

Best Amusement Park Side-Trip

Nominees:
Lake Ontario - Seabreeze Trip
Pymatuning Reservoir - From Conneaut to Cedar Point
Pacific Coast Highway - California Trip

Winner: The PCH

I met up with a friend of mine in the Bay area and we drove to Santa Cruz, and then north on the PCH to San Francisco.

I've never seen ocean side scenery like that. I could literally spend days exploring the Pacific coastline. Stunning views.

'Why Did I Do This To Myself?' Award

First of all, 6 days (3 of which were work training) in California is far too long for me to be away from my wife and kids.

Aside from that, I hit a park each evening of the three training days. Then I drove from Irvine to Gilroy Gardens, then to Great America, and then to Santa Cruz. The next day was SFDK and then back to Great America. I decided to squeeze in some more Gold Striker rides before I did the Coastal Highway thing - followed by a red-eye back to the east coast.

Yeah, that was taxing...

Better Than Everyone Said It Was...

California's Great America. People hate that park. I really liked it. I didn't even think Grizzly was all that bad.

Local Food Joint of the Year

I forget the name of the place, but it was a small Italian restaurant on Balboa Island in southern California. Filet, scallops, and sides - all on someone else's dime.

Souvenir of the Year

Nominees:
Sea Serpent T-shirt - Morey's Piers
Flitzer T-shirt - Morey's Piers
"I Flew" Flying Turns T-Shirt - Knoebels
Maverick & GateKeeper Shot Glasses - Cedar Point

Winner: Flying Turns T-shirt

As nice as it was to re-complete my Cedar Point shot glass collection, I really love my bright orange Flying Turns T-shirt, and the night the shirt represents.

And I don't even wear park shirts.

Important-to-Me Achievement of the Year

Finally riding all of the wooden coasters in Pennsylvania. I missed out on Blue Streak at Conneaut Lake in 2011. I made it this year, and I loved the ride. What a great back seat experience.

On the same note, I'm glad I got to experience the park too, considering its still-murky future.

Infuriating Moment of the Year

Going to re-ride Maverick with my Fast Lane Plus.

Again, I don't like pay-to-cut programs, but since I dropped $90 bucks on it, I found it to be all sorts of wrong that Maverick's Fast Lane line was just as long as its regular queue. Perhaps Cedar Point needs to tweak their program.

Renewed Affection Award

Nominees:
Knott's Berry Farm
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
Cedar Point
Seabreeze
Knoebels

Winner: Seabreeze

I could make a case for each of these parks. But after my first visit to Seabreeze in 2012, I returned this year with my family in tow. I had a blast that day, riding rides I would have never ridden had I been by myself. I really like Seabreeze a lot. Give them a Ferris wheel and a dark ride, and they'd have a perfect park.

The best ride there is their fantastic carousel. I rode it twice with my kids. It's one of the best in the country.

Halloween Event

No need for nominees. Knoebels is my new favorite, hands down. I'll be there every October from here on out...

Rest In Peace Award

Rolling Thunder - Great Adventure

This is something for which I just can't forgive Great Adventure. I didn't go to the park this year. I doubt I'll go next year. It will probably take a major new coaster to get me to return at this point.

I Saw It With My Own Eyes Award

Star Jet - Casino Pier

Oddly enough, I had never been to Seaside before this past February. But I just had to see the coaster in the water. What an oddly beautiful, yet sad sight.

Multiple Visit Award

Knoebels - I went four times this year, which is twice as many as I ever did before. I think next year will be more of the same.

2014 Announcement of the Year

Nominees:
Goliath - Six Flags Great America
Banshee - Kings Island
Thunderbolt Reborn - Luna Park
Firechase Express - Dollywood

Winner: Banshee - Kings Island

There's a chance I get on all of these rides next year, but I'm most anticipating Banshee. I love the B&M inverted design, and this one looks to be fantastic. It's been a long time coming for Kings Island.

In Summation...

All told, 2013 was good year for me. I got to a decent amount of parks, five of which were first time visits (italics):

Six Flags America
Morey's Piers
Dorney Park
Hersheypark
Dutch Wonderland
Knoebels
Knott's Berry Farm
Belmont Park
Scandia Amusement Park
Gilroy Gardens
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
Conneaut Lake Park
Cedar Point
Seabreeze

I rode 22 new-to-me roller coasters, 6 of which were wooden rides. 2014 looks like a promising year right now, but we shall see.

Thanks for reading...

* This post was modified at 11/7/13 1:47:33 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/6/13 12:57:05 PM
Thank you, Sir, for treating my creation with such respect.

Excellent read, as usual.

Mike

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by drachen drachen Profile at 11/6/13 1:07:49 PM
beastmaster said:

Someday, the Moon will be in the Seventh House and Jupiter will align with Mars, and we'll come up with a date that works for a lotta URC folks and we'll get a good size group together. And that day will come before you know it.

Mike

I agree Mike, and my vote would be for Knoebels...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/6/13 1:14:08 PM
I'm there.

Can we all ride one train on Flying Turns? Can we? Huh? Huh? Please?

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by drachen drachen Profile at 11/6/13 1:21:59 PM
beastmaster said:

I'm there.

I would be all for a heavy Flying Turns ride! As long as we don't exceed 1200 pounds...

drachen
Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/6/13 3:20:39 PM
drachen said:

beastmaster said:

I'm there.

I would be all for a heavy Flying Turns ride! As long as we don't exceed 1200 pounds...

Guess I'm riding solo then...:( LOL!

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 11/7/13 3:40:38 PM
After three years of road trips I stayed relatively local this year hence no long drawn out TRs from me this year however I guess I can put together a condensed award listing based on my few travels this year.

Best Park Visit

Kings Island, October 11, 2013. Took the day off work and headed down to KI for my very first time doing Haunt on a Friday night and it ranks right up there with May 4th, 2000, Six Flags Ohio opening night. The park was busy but the lines were very manageable unlike the next day where it was packed to the gills. The entire park was enshrouded in artifical fog thus creating a great atmosphere throughout and I had some of the best night rides ever. I bought my very first CF platinum pass so I'll be sure to do this again next year.

Best New Ride

I'm combining both coasters and flats in this category and the overall winner is Music Express at Waldameer. I've always been a MACK fan but this Bertazzon model was easily the best of its type I've ridden.

Gatekeeper comes in second. This ride is a people eater, max wait was 45 minutes on a Halloweekends Saturday with a good sized queue. This is a much better ride at night, flipping through the keyholes as they are all lit up in blue.

Darien Lake's Blast Off rounds out the list and even though I missed Raging Seas this is a good replacement. Not the tallest tower but it gave a surprisingly strong pop of airtime at the top of the initial launch.

Most Improved

Darien Lake. Herschend has done good things with the park the past couple of years, starting with Rowdy's Ridge last year and continuing this year with the newly themed Lakefront Boardwalk. These improvements have given the park some new life to what was once drab midways.

Conneaut Lake gets an honorable mention when I was there the weekend of the Beach Club fire. All the new paint was a vast improvement over how the park looked like the last time I was there. Plus Blue Streak was running quite well.

Most Memorable Ride

This is tough as there were quite a few this year. From the back seat rides on Conneaut's Blue Streak to the night ride on Diamonback at 12:30 AM back in October there are quite a few to choose from.

If I had to pick what I would consider the top two rides it has to be the night rides on The Beast and Maverick. The Beast at night back in October was what I called just shy of a religious experience. Other than the lights being on in the first tunnel at the bottom of the first drop the rest of the ride was pure darkness. It was incredible.

Two weeks prior to the Beast ride was my first ever night ride on Maverick during Halloweekends. While the wait to get on has always been the worst part of the ride, especially when you are tired, that night ride was one of the most rewarding. Other than the relatively few lights from the Cut Throat Cove haunt that was located under the ride, Maverick was totally dark and absolutely amazing.

I'd also want to add as an honorable mention was KI's Vortex back in October. I've never ridden Vortex at night and I've never experienced what I would consider Vortex's dual personality. Drachen would appreciate the extra speed the ride picks up when the sun goes down. It was hauling through the course.

G-Dog

Re: Beastmaster's End Of Season Awards..2013 Edition! by drachen drachen Profile at 11/7/13 5:29:58 PM
Geauga_Dog said:

I'd also want to add as an honorable mention was KI's Vortex back in October. I've never ridden Vortex at night and I've never experienced what I would consider Vortex's dual personality. Drachen would appreciate the extra speed the ride picks up when the sun goes down. It was hauling through the course.

G-Dog

Word...

I passed on Vortex at night - opting for two Diamondback and two Beast rides instead. Perhaps I should have done it...

I'm dying to spend a Halloweekend in Sandusky. A Fall Friday night at Cedar Point sounds like absolute heaven. Perhaps one of these years.

drachen