Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Sadly, too old to coaster marathon

Sadly, too old to coaster marathon

RobLec RobLec Profile

Posted:
10/27/13 at
5:40:37 PM

I've been debating for the past month whether or not to post something about this, or just suffer in silence. A month ago I attended the GOCC Fall Fling at Cedar Point, an event I've attended many times in the past. The event itself was great, featuring late night ERT's on both MF and Gate Keeper. The drive up there was uneventful. The weather was gorgeous... well, as good as one can expect for a Halloweekend. Registration was a breeze, and I kicked off the weekend with three early rides on Gatekeeper... a first for me.

As a side note, a serious leg injury about a decade ago pretty much made me an event-only rider, or at least an off-season rider, as I can't stand in line very long. So I've sought out club events when I can get in a good many rides in a short period of time. My last ERT prior to this past month was on RFII three years ago. Prior to that my wife and I had attended the same CP event in '07 and in '09, when we got in our legendary sixteen rides in a solo train on Maverick, and at the previous event we'd had at least that many midnight rides on MF.

Well, after those first three rides on Gatekeeper I wasn't feeling well, went back to the motel and didn't return until the midnight ERT on MF. Just about six rides into the ERT and my stomach was really feeling sick, but I forced myself into two more rides... eight total. Not a record for sure.

Saturday I spent only a few hours in the park, had lunch and left again, and returned only for the midnight Gatekeeper ERT. I think I was only able to stick it out for about six rides, ending with two in the right front seat. Most of the time I had been in the back right, which I think gives the best ride.

This is the first time ever in my life that I've ever felt sick on a roller coaster. When I later told my younger son about this he asked if maybe it was just an off day, but I fear the writing's on the wall on this one. It's been a wonderful couple of decades since I started taking my kids to theme parks back in 1991, with a lot of great memories to look back upon. Oh I still ride, but one ride or maybe two is about it for me now, with more time spent on the bench.

Sad indeed... but it's been a great ride, and we've met a lot of great people too!

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 10/27/13 6:05:51 PM
You're not alone. As of recent years I have found myself in the same situation though not so much the feeling of getting sick on rides but the fact that I can't power ride like I used to. Heck I'm lucky if I can last a whole day at a park anymore.

G-Dog

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/28/13 11:52:20 PM
That's a shame to hear :(
Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 10/29/13 2:05:49 AM
I've noticed something similar as I've gotten older - I used to be able go a good 30 or more times in a row on coasters, even ones with killer forces like Goliath and the original X at SFMM. But that was back when I was in my late 20's.

When I got into my mid-30's, I started having trouble with motion sickness, but I solved that (maybe it might also work for you) with a prescription patch. But even then I'd get a bad case of indigestion, or just not feel able to go on.

So I totally read you on this. I'm surprised I was able to do a 27 ride marathon on Skyrush (which isn't the easiest coaster to marathon on, if you've ridden it you know what I mean) a couple of Sundays ago. But I took breaks and did it over the course of about 7 hours. But yeah, it sucks to get older and have to quit during an ERT (or not be able to fully take advantage of a walk-on).

One other thing I have noticed over the years is that I stand a much better chance of marathoning if I do it when I'm not tired or having other reasons that would make it harder. I'm more likely to get sick or have other issues if I'm tired, it's really hot, I'm hungry or thirsty. Sadly, if for those who are ACE members, you will either have very early morning ERT or late night, and therefore I seldom ever manage more than maybe 10 or 12 rides on a coaster during ERT.

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 11/11/13 6:02:19 PM
Im 36 and have moments where a coaster will make me sick. Happened to me at Cedar Point last year. We started with raptor and i had to chill out for awhile and eat/drink to shake off some vertigo/nausea type feelings. I marathoned Griffon after a rainstorm one time with an old girlfriend - it was back when it first opened so we were hell bent on getting rides in. We both called out sick to work the next day!!

My mind wants to ride 20 times in a row. My body will tell me if it's not liking the idea. Some days are better than others for me. Definitely depends on the coaster too of course. The vekoma flying coaster at SFA (cant remember name) - once was all i could handle of that, even though i found it enjoyable

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by alpengeistno3 at 11/11/13 11:12:48 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

The vekoma flying coaster at SFA (cant remember name) - once was all i could handle of that, even though i found it enjoyable

"Crap"- err... Batwing

Paul

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/12/13 2:25:07 AM
I'm the same age you are HRR. I never been a big 'coaster marathoning' guy. The most times that I've marathoned a coaster was seven, on Dania Beach Hurricane (the only coaster there). I'll rarely get a second ride on a coaster at a big park; The main reason why I would consider re-riding a coaster in a big park is that many coasters have greater forces in particular seats (usually being the back seat having the negative-G's). Those queue lines are just too long (by most accounts) at big parks, and I want to experience all of the coasters at the park.

* This post was modified at 11/12/13 2:31:15 PM *

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 11/18/13 1:18:45 PM
Rob, Im just happy you found something you and your sons could enjoy together and even you and your wife after they got big and got to spend that time together. As for Getting too old? IDK, It could have just been a off day or just how you were feeling at the time. Or not. Just happy to have met you and yours over the years. We pretty much met over SOB, Had some SRMs/HWN's together and a day with just me, my brother and you and your wife. I really enjoyed that day at HW.

I often find myself in weird moods at parks and am just the opposite when it comes to events, I really only have a handful of events I've attended over the years, Preferring to visit on normal days but planning around crowds.

I've spent many a day at a park and never was in a *RIDING MOOD* most of the day, Only to become a serious want to ride all I can person about dusk, My last HWN 2011 I went friday night and rode a lot but saturday I had no desire to go to the park at all. Stayed in the campground till 11. ate a free lunch some camperland was holding there and then went to Evansville for a race. The race went from 6-9 and I was feeling good so I came back to the park and rode from 10-midnight. This event even had the return of SWOHMAN Brian Davis who camped with us. Did I mention he got married last year?

I went to KI twice this year, rode Adventure express once and the train and tower. thats the total number of rides I did this year. While my facination with parks still exist, I don't find the desire to have to go that I once did. Some of it's my weight but its been dying for several years now. Banshee looks to be great but hell, i still haven't ridden Diamonback LOL.

Hope you find some interest that you all enjoy and I'll see you at the parks or even a coaster dinner (Which I also don't attend much)

Take care Rob
Chuck.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/18/13 2:51:37 PM
Gee, Chuck... what a nice writeup. Of course I remember you guys and Laurie sampling fudge at HWN, and our many re-rides on the then "new" Voyage before it became unrideable. And I remember SWOman Brian... he and I spent most of the day of URC2000 at PKI together... That and bumping into the PCW Reid family in line for the Beast the night before, and then there's all the names that used be here... Rocket Roger and "Beast at night" Chris Trease. It's good to see Shaggy and Chilly and the Airbears - even Mommabeast, checking in here now and then.

We're all connected. We bumped into your bro and his wife at one of our son's high school musicals. Almost as amazing as bumping into Jeff-T outside Ripsaw Falls at the "new" IOA twelve years ago, then bumping into Dave Altoff at the same place nearly a decade later and spent the day together. It really is a small world after all.

Now days I have to take pills just to eat, and it seems I can throw my back out just doing laundry. Just last week I cancelled my usenet subscription so no RRC (no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded). I was never one to swap stats, but always assumed that someday we'd visit Hershey park and Knoebels, GrAdv and maybe even the west coast. Now it's not likely to happen.

We are heading back to Florida in a couple weeks. The Disney tickets just arrived today. But more and more I just go to parks, and as you say, may or may not ride anything. The last day KI was open I just went for the Banshee construction tour, chatted with Scott and Carol, ate at the Festhaus and went home. Didn't ride anything.

But I wouldn't trade these memories for anything in the world. You guys watched our kids grow up. Yeah, I don't do the dinners much anymore either. Without events I don't know when we might see each other again. But it's nice to know we are always in each other's thoughts.

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 11/19/13 9:16:45 PM
Getting older sucks. We all have our moments where the ride marathons are not agreeable. I'm not able to handle the spinning rides as well as I used to and certain coasters make me ill now if I ride too many times.

There is something to be said about just enjoying a park at a leisurely pace.

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/20/13 7:18:12 AM
RobLec said:

but always assumed that someday we'd visit Hershey park and Knoebels, GrAdv . Now it's not likely to happen.

:(

I always hoped you'd make it over this way. I had a great time with you at CP back in '07 and would love to hang with you again sometime. But things change. And if anything changes again, I expect to be around here :)

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 11/20/13 1:01:59 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Getting older sucks. We all have our moments where the ride marathons are not agreeable. I'm not able to handle the spinning rides as well as I used to and certain coasters make me ill now if I ride too many times.

There is something to be said about just enjoying a park at a leisurely pace.

And thats exactly how we planned all our trips I've taken over the years. I don't know about others but I got sick of the weekend trips to big parks wanting to ride everything but you want to ride the hits as many times as possible and those involved two hour waits in hot sun and many attractions were never hit or never seen entirely.

I came to love Knoebels, Seabreeze, Kennywood, Adventurland IA. They all had tons to do. not long lines and you hit what you want, when you wanted as many times as you wanted too. HW is like that most days after noon. If you want to power ride, you can, But you can just take it at your pace. Unlike others, i never had kids and I know that brings a whole different aspect into parks. However I have gone to parks with families and girlfriends with kids and it actually was quite enjoyable to see the park from different perspective. Riding Racer at KI with a five year old and grabbing him over the shoulder saying, GET BACK DOWN HERE! That was great! Reminded me why I loved it as a kid.

Thanks for the kind words Rob. Im sure we'll see each other sometime.

Chuck

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by Capler at 12/7/13 1:13:19 AM
What a sad, sad, thread. Reading this brought tears to my eyes. I too am getting too old to do it like I use to. My bad knee won't allow it. I knew this day would come, and I have passed the torch off to young folk. I've been at this for over 30 years, and it was fun while it lasted. I still go to the park on occasions, but the stays are brief and there are not many re-rides. Even though I'm not there physically, I still have a great interest in the industry and individual parks. I suspect a day will come where I will stop going altogether. But that's cool because I still have great memories. I also knew going in that this is a game for the youth. I've danced a good dance and now I have left the floor and made space for a new enthusiast who is just as excited as i was years ago. Rob, thank you for starting this thread because there were times that I felt like I was the only one. I know people don't talk about Carowinds much over here, but when we get our new coaster in 2015, I'm going roll my wheel chair up to the park and ride till I can't do it any more. God, I hope I don't pass out.
Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/7/13 9:29:58 AM
Hey Cap - thanks for chiming in! It's good to hear that you are still young at heart, though your body apparently can no longer keep up with you. If memory serves me well, we met at the Travel Channel's Raven shoot at Holiday World back 10-12 years ago. FWIW my family has great memories of Carowinds, back when it was a Paramount park.

It was my knee as well that put me in a wheelchair for 3 months, crutches for nearly a year afterwards and a cane thereafter. That is in fact the reason that I prefer to visit parks primarily during the off season or at club events to take advantage of ERT's.

But it was also that time I spent in recovery that gave me a new approach to life, to go have fun while I still can ... to enjoy life, to "make each day count". My family and I are in fact currently in Orlando and I will soon be posting about our Disney visit. It hasn't all gone well, but we're here, and our hearts are in it.

Recently I bumped into another couple with whom we had in the past spent a lot of time at various parks. He is now on a cane as well. I am so sorry to hear that your infirmity is so severe that it limits your activities, but it sounds like you have a good attitude and haven't let it keep you in deep despair. At some point we all end up as bench sitters, and it warms my heart when I meet old couples who still love to visit parks, though they may be no longer able to ride.

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 12/20/13 6:52:24 AM
I am 51 years old. I have not been to events or have done ERT's. I just enter the parks as normal. To the places out of state (Forida) I go in early June or August when not all the kids are out of school. I don't marathon on one coaster too much because I don't want to "kill a good thing" (get bored). My problem is walking and standing. I am to the point that there should not be too far to go and I better not wait long when I get there. This brings up a problem: I am still obsessed with parks and thrill rides. There is still a lot I want to do. I know that it is a long way off, but I have thought about quitting completely in 2020. Will I make it that long, or will I want to keep going? HELP !!
Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/20/13 9:18:50 AM
theRock-steel said:

I am 51 years old... There is still a lot I want to do. I know that it is a long way off, but I have thought about quitting completely in 2020. Will I make it that long, or will I want to keep going? HELP !!

It's possible that you may lose interest, but that it unlikely. I was your age when SOB and Millennium Force were being built. I waited in line 4-6 hours for those rides. It was not until my knee was crushed five years later that I had to change how I did many things. If anything, I wanted to go to more parks and ride more coasters... to experience more life, while I still could.

My guess is you will do what many of us do, which is still visit parks, but go less often, and leave the park sooner. We make fewer road trips, but instead of trying to stay all day, we go for several days and try to make shorter visits to the park a few days during that time, with other less demanding activities in between.

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 12/20/13 6:47:20 PM
If we are truely into this, we don't really ever totally lose interest. (That's impossible for me.)
It's my body that is starting to protest.

I forgot to mention that I prefer to drive to anything that I can get to in one day (17 hours).
This is starting to be too much.

* This post was modified at 12/20/13 6:49:38 PM *

Re: Sadly, too old to coaster marathon by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/20/13 8:23:37 PM
theRock-steel said:

It's my body that is starting to protest... I forgot to mention that I prefer to drive to anything that I can get to in one day (17 hours).
This is starting to be too much.

Maybe it's the 17 hour drive that is causing your body to protest.
Try taking your time and enjoy the scenery for a change.