Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Valleyfair

Valleyfair

DanTheBooker

Posted:
10/24/13 at
6:36:22 AM

Hey all, my name is Dan. First time posting here.

I live in Northern Minnesota and my home park is Valleyfair. I'd like to get your feedback on something I've been thinking about for a few weeks.

Valleyfair is on par for a new major coaster in 2015. Other than Gilroy Gardens, we are the only park in the CF portfolio without a full circuit invert. Do you think it's wishful thinking to believe we might get that invert in 2015? Is it completely far fetched we may see the long rumored B&M invert? Anyone remember the "Falcon: Bird of Prey" rumors from the early 2000's?

I'm not trying to be a whiny b*tch here, I love this park. I'm just thinking into the future. However, I don't want to set my self up for disappointment, either.

Thank you for any and all input.

Re: Valleyfair by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/24/13 11:08:20 AM
^^^Welcome aboard Dan. My only question is does Valleyfair have enough space for an additional coaster; If not, how about scrapping the painful Excalibur for the space needed, LOL. The only thing that people talk about with Excalibur, is that unique wooden structure from Arrow, and how rough the ride is.

Valleyfair is definitely due for a modern steel coaster; Steel Venom (which was down on my trip there a year ago) is by far the most modern in that department. Although Michigan Adventure seems like the most ignored Cedar Fair park (midsized/large) by far, with their latest coaster being in 2008 (a crappy Vekoma SLC relocated from another park). It seems like CF has been going on a hypercoaster spree as of late. Almost anything is possible, but I'll be pretty surprised CF follows Banshee with another B&M invert anytime soon.

Re: Valleyfair by DanTheBooker at 10/24/13 3:01:29 PM
Thanks.

There are a couple areas where a new coaster could go. With a station up front near the Dinosaurs, a coaster could could near the parking lot. Even without removing Excalibur, I'm pretty sure they could squeeze something in up there between Excalibur and Thunder Canyon. I can't see CF giving us a B & M hyper when we have Wild Thing.

Re: Valleyfair by drachen drachen Profile at 10/24/13 6:49:45 PM
I, for one, would be very disappointed if Valleyfair removed Excalibur. I want to at least ride it first.

I love Arrow coasters, and this is about as unique as they come. To me, it looks like the ancestor of the Intamin megalite.

* This post was modified at 10/25/13 12:29:37 AM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Valleyfair by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/25/13 12:22:41 AM
Lol, how about take the B&M invert from CGA and bring it over to Valleyfair? :) j/k but yeah I would've thought they could've taken that SLC from Geuga lake and gave that to VF instead of Michigan. I dunno how much space Excalibur sits over, but I can't imagine it would be enough even for an early B&M invert. And if it is a custom, it would probably be pretty small unless they can build over other coasters' footprints? :shrugs:
Re: Valleyfair by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/25/13 12:55:37 AM
drachen said:

I, for one, would be very disappointed if Valleyfair removed Excalibur. I want to at least ride it first.

I love Arrow coasters, and this is about as unique as they come. To me, it looks like the ancestor of the Intamin megalite.

I feel ya. When I was at Valleyfair, the back section of park where Excalibur is was temporarily closed, and looking at Excalibur's pretty lofty lift hill, it had this "Man, I gotta ride this coaster!" vibe to it. Then that section opened, and I rode Excalibur. All I can say is that looks are deceiving. LOL

Re: Valleyfair by DanTheBooker at 10/25/13 4:06:06 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Lol, how about take the B&M invert from CGA and bring it over to Valleyfair? :) j/k but yeah I would've thought they could've taken that SLC from Geuga lake and gave that to VF instead of Michigan. I dunno how much space Excalibur sits over, but I can't imagine it would be enough even for an early B&M invert. And if it is a custom, it would probably be pretty small unless they can build over other coasters' footprints? :shrugs:

I think there's more room available back by Cal then what is cleared.

We didn't get the SLC because Renegade was only a year old at the time.

Since Renegade, we have got a water park expansion in 2009, Planet Snoopy in 2011, Dinosaurs in 2013 and now Route 76. That's a new area in location of former Challenge Park. They are relocating Tilt and Scrambler there, reinstalling antique autos and giving us a Zamperla Disko. It's time to focus on thrills, wouldn't you say? Lol

Thanks again for any feedback!

Re: Valleyfair by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/25/13 10:18:58 AM
Welcome to URC Dan. I live in southwest Pennsylvania and visited Valleyfair for the first time last year in 2012. I think a B&M invert or a B&M wing rider would be a great addition to Valleyfair. I really liked Valleyfair. The park is set up a lot like Cedar Point, but on much smaller scale. We only got to spend about 6 hours at Valleyfair. We visited Nickelodeon Universe in the same day, which I was extremely impressed with. I felt Renegade was the best coaster at Valleyfair. I really liked the first drop and the mix of laterals and air time. Renegade was a little slow in the turns, which is uncommon for GCI woodies, but still a really good wooden coaster. I love hypercoasters, so I enjoyed Wild Thing. High Roller was the pleasant surprise. I really liked that coaster. We got 4 rides on Renegade and a couple rides on Wild Thing. We only managed to get one ride on High Roller, due to single train operation. I really wish we could have gotten another ride. As for the Excalibur discussion, We rode it once and it was a walk on. I thought it was a little rough, but unique and fun enough to ride again. My 3 kids out voted me. That one ride is all they wanted. All in all, I do plan to visit Valleyfair and Nickelodeon Universe again, someday. I liked both parks enough to make me want to go back. A B&M addition would inspire me even more to revisit. The next time that I do make it to Minnesota I will dedicate a whole day to Valleyfair and a whole day to Nickelodeon Universe.
Re: Valleyfair by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/25/13 12:43:57 PM
I've never been to Valleyfair.
Which isn't of any importance, of course.
Just sayin'...
Mike B.
Re: Valleyfair by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/25/13 5:35:46 PM
DanTheBooker said:

I think there's more room available back by Cal then what is cleared.

We didn't get the SLC because Renegade was only a year old at the time.

Since Renegade, we have got a water park expansion in 2009, Planet Snoopy in 2011, Dinosaurs in 2013 and now Route 76. That's a new area in location of former Challenge Park. They are relocating Tilt and Scrambler there, reinstalling antique autos and giving us a Zamperla Disko. It's time to focus on thrills, wouldn't you say? Lol

Thanks again for any feedback!

I see, good to know. Hopefully they do build a nice new invert there. I was worried it was going to be another land locked park needing to remove or knockdown an older ride in order to expand. If there is room, then that is great to know.

Re: Valleyfair by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 10/25/13 8:05:36 PM
I visited Valleyfair for the first time this summer, and I enjoyed my day there. It did kind of remind me of a small-scale CP (or perhaps KBF), and I did get to ride Excalibur. Excalibur is an interesting ride - I had expected it to be rather like Gemini with only one track, but it isn't similar to that coaster at all (other than being an Arrow). My impression was that it was like an Arrow mine train on steroids - definitely worth riding if you go there. A little rough, but not un-rideable (we rode towards the front). As far as the land it sits on, I doubt they would be able to fit any kind of a B&M in that area, even something like one of the Batman clones.

Unfortunately I didn't have a very nice experience on Renegade - it was almost Hershey Park Wildcat rough the day I was there (to be fair, it was in the morning and the weather was cool, so I'm figuring I just caught it on a bad day and time).

I did get three rides on Wildthing - that was my 200th coaster, BTW. Luckily, Steel Venom was running so I got to ride that.

I have a lot of sympathy for the OP here - since apparently Valleyfair is to the CF chain what SFA is to the Six Flags chain. Both are forgotten stepchildren that get no love - meaning they go for ages without a new coaster while most other parks in the chain get all the goodies.

Both parks are indeed way overdue for a nice new coaster, and Valleyfair obviously lacks two things - a full circuit invert and a B&M coaster. Hopefully it will get both in a single new coaster in 2015.

Re: Valleyfair by DanTheBooker at 10/25/13 9:37:10 PM
Thanks for the comments!

I respectfully disagree with you about the VF is to CF as SFA is to SF.

With the exception of the peanuts themed kiddy coaster coming from Dorney, all the coasters we have we're built here.

We've never went too terribly long without a new coaster.

80-Corkscrew
89-Excalibur
96-Wild Thing
99- Mad Mouse
03-Steel Venom
07-Renegade

We are certainly due.

Re: Valleyfair by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/26/13 1:35:37 PM
MABrider said:

I've never been to Valleyfair.
Which isn't of any importance, of course.
Just sayin'...

IMO it's a very worthy trip, particularly when combined with all there is to do at the Mall of America which isn't far away (Nickelodeon Universe, shopping, dining etc).

* This post was modified at 10/26/13 1:43:48 PM *

Re: Valleyfair by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 10/26/13 7:44:33 PM
DanTheBooker said:

Thanks for the comments!

I respectfully disagree with you about the VF is to CF as SFA is to SF.

With the exception of the peanuts themed kiddy coaster coming from Dorney, all the coasters we have we're built here.

We've never went too terribly long without a new coaster.

80-Corkscrew
89-Excalibur
96-Wild Thing
99- Mad Mouse
03-Steel Venom
07-Renegade

We are certainly due.

Well, yeah, that's true in that regard....VF doesn't get other parks' hand-me-downs! But I do hear a lot of people out your way on other forums complain that VF is one of CF's more neglected parks with regards to new coasters. And as far as I know, VF never had a "ghetto" reputation like SFA has had in the past.
Honestly, while I wouldn't want to live out your way (considering there really aren't many parks in that area like there are on the east coast), I'd trade SFA for VF in a heartbeat.

Re: Valleyfair by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/29/13 9:41:12 AM
A nearby abandoned old IMAX theater will be torn down (used in a firefighter exercise). It will make way for further Valleyfair park expansion (not yet announced).Good news for Valleyfair.

www.startribune.com/local/south/229543431.html

* This post was modified at 10/29/13 9:42:14 AM *

Re: Valleyfair by DanTheBooker at 10/29/13 7:25:04 PM
Overbanked said:

A nearby abandoned old IMAX theater will be torn down (used in a firefighter exercise). It will make way for further Valleyfair park expansion (not yet announced).Good news for Valleyfair.

www.startribune.com/local/south/229543431.html

Right, this will most likely be for water park expansion. Valleyfair's Soak City is in desperate need of an over haul. By moving the Looping Starship as well, that would help free up a lot of space for an expansion to the water park.

Valleyfair hasn't announced anything about the removal or relocation of the Ship, it would just make sense that they do. It's located right across from Renegade and since the new coaster opened in 2007, that whole area has been very congested.

Between Planet Snoopy and the new Route 76, the front of the park has gotten some much needed attention. With a major soak city expansion, maybe they can address the rear of the park including the dead end up to Excalibur and Thunder Canyon.

Just my thoughts.

Re: Valleyfair by Aldo at 10/30/13 1:33:39 AM
I hope Valleyfair does not remove their Looping Starship. I love those Intamin rides.
Re: Valleyfair by looper77 at 10/30/13 3:01:29 AM
DanTheBooker said:

Right, this will most likely be for water park expansion. Valleyfair's Soak City is in desperate need of an over haul. By moving the Looping Starship as well, that would help free up a lot of space for an expansion to the water park.

Valleyfair hasn't announced anything about the removal or relocation of the Ship, it would just make sense that they do. It's located right across from Renegade and since the new coaster opened in 2007, that whole area has been very congested.

Between Planet Snoopy and the new Route 76, the front of the park has gotten some much needed attention. With a major soak city expansion, maybe they can address the rear of the park including the dead end up to Excalibur and Thunder Canyon.

Just my thoughts.

The entire placement of Soak City and the Excalibur dead end is a sore point for me.

It shows poor planning and short-sighted thinking. Many parks are guilty of this and then end up painting themselves is a corner.

The water park should have been built up front in the Dinosaurs Alive location, bone yard or parking lot. Instead, they ended up with a cramp water park with little room for expansion without the need to remove other rides, and worse, a dead-end.

Re: Valleyfair by DanTheBooker at 11/1/13 6:52:33 AM
looper77 said:

DanTheBooker said:

Just my thoughts.

The entire placement of Soak City and the Excalibur dead end is a sore point for me.

It shows poor planning and short-sighted thinking. Many parks are guilty of this and then end up painting themselves is a corner.

The water park should have been built up front in the Dinosaurs Alive location, bone yard or parking lot. Instead, they ended up with a cramp water park with little room for expansion without the need to remove other rides, and worse, a dead-end.

If they can knock down IMAX, relocate Looping Starship and address the congestion beginning basically after the Hydroblaster (which is rumored to be on its way out. Never understood the waterslide out of the water park.), they're may be hope for the back of the park. It depends on if the next major coaster needs to be back where Excalibur is or if it will go elsewhere in the park.

While I don't agree with Dinosaurs being where they are, I don't think the water park should have been there.

Re: Valleyfair by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 11/20/13 10:12:16 AM
I have never been to Valleyfair and I always forget about it (sometimes forget about WOF too).

Hmmm *goes to look at rcdb.com*...WHOA! rcdb.com got an overhaul! Man I am out of the loop. *badum tis*

Valley Fair looks cool just judging by the line up and pics, it looks like a small CP or dare I say, it looks similar to Dorney Park. Very cool lookin place. If that park is making money now, I think it'd be best to draw people with something "record breaking". Maybe something with the most inversions or something more clever.

If a unique, high speed B&M creation were built there (hyper or not), it'd draw me to make it a place to visit. Wild Thing instrigues me too, as I LOVED Magnum at CP, and it looks similar.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Valleyfair by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/20/13 11:15:20 AM
mugen828 said:
Man I am out of the loop. *badum tis*

That's Latin for "rim shot," right? Not that your pun deserves one :) Let ME take care of the bad puns, OK? HeeHee...

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...