Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels

Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
10/21/13 at
4:03:43 PM

I had a great night at the park, despite missing out on the carousel, train, and Twister. Here are some quick thoughts on an October Friday at Knoebels...

- The drive to the park this time of year offers what are nothing short of breath-taking views. The Appalachians are gorgeous this time of year. It's never a chore to drive to Knoebels.

- Every time I go to Knoebels, I think "Why don't I come here more often?" I made it to the park four times this summer, and it doesn't seem like enough.

- The peanuts at the Stony Gables are quite simply the best peanuts in the world.

- This was my first October Knoebels visit, and I didn't realize that only half the park is open. No Sky Ride, no bumber cars. A little disappointing, but understandable.

- Prime. Rib. Sandwich.

- Lights off on Phoenix. It's pretty spectacular on a cold night too.

- It was COLD. First time I saw my breath this fall. Bad night to wear shorts.

- I'm proud of my 5 year-old, who rode both Black Diamond and Haunted Mansion for the first time. Sure, her eyes were closed most of the time, but I was happy to be able to introduce her to the dark ride concept this year.

- Black Diamond is such an underrated attraction. It may just be the best overall attraction at Knoebels, and that's saying something.

- Pumpkin Pie Funnel Cakes? Yes please.

- The Flying Turns line moves pretty darn well, for having such limited capacity per train. Don't be afraid to wait for it.

- I've ridden Flying Turns three times now, and I've liked it more and more each time.

- We got an extra long cycle on the Flyers. Did I mention it was COLD?

- I didn't make it over to Twister, which I really regret. But I did take another Phoenix ride, for good measure.

- Not knowing what to expect, I took my 5 year-old, her friend, and my 3 year-old on the spooked out Gasoline Alley. Woops. That thing is seriously spooked out, with live actors jumping out at almost every bend. The kids weren't big fans (though I was).

- I was coaxed (easily coaxed) into one more Phoenix ride. My wife was still enjoying her hot chocolate and funnel cake, so I snuck back in line for a fourth ride, as the station was empty.

- It was well after 10 PM, and the park was still cycling half empty trains. We were loving it. After ride number four, they said "This is the last train, everyone can stay seated for one more ride." Don't mind if I do. Five Phoenix rides last night for me. That's a good night in my book.

- I can't wait to get back next year. Six months!

* This post was modified at 10/21/13 5:11:13 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by ray_p ray_p Profile at 10/21/13 5:51:12 PM
Thanks for the report drachen. Sounds like a good time was had by all. I'm hoping to go this Sunday (weather permitting) to get that long awaited Flying Turns ride and to finally check out Black Diamond. Even though a lot is closed, I figure if I can do Phoenix, Twister, Haunted Mansion, StratosFear, Flyers, the train, Carousel and the Turns and Black Diamond in the 12-5 timeframe that they are open, I will be very happy.

So glad to hear the Flying Turns is a good ride. I've been fascinated by this type of ride since I was a kid as my parents constantly raved about the Euclid Beach version. It will be so cool to ride one after all this time.

Again, thanks for the report and glad you had a good time... Even though it's pretty hard not to have fun at Knoebels!

Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by depotrat at 10/21/13 8:01:10 PM
^If you don't want to waste a big chunk of your available time waiting in line for Flying Turns I would suggest being to the park well before the opening time, buying your tickets and getting in line for FT.

We did that on Saturday. By the time the ride opened at 2 PM (Sat opening time) the line was out of the entrance, around the coaster and stretched back towards the courtyard. It pretty much stayed there the whole timne we were there. Best guess wou;ld be 1-1.5 hrs. We were 10th in line, got off the ride around 2:15, and were on our way around the park with close to walkons for almost everything else. We had to leave at 4:30 and still managed 1 FT, 2 Phoenix, 2 Twister, 1 Flyers and 1 Carousel with a break for lunch prior to leaving. We couldn't have done half of that if we hadn't been early to FT.

By the way, we loved FT but spending a big chunk of the 5 hours available on a Sunday in line would be tough to justify with so many other favs at Knoebels.

* This post was modified at 10/21/13 8:09:37 PM *

Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by ray_p ray_p Profile at 10/22/13 8:07:10 AM
depotrat said:

^If you don't want to waste a big chunk of your available time waiting in line for Flying Turns I would suggest being to the park well before the opening time, buying your tickets and getting in line for FT.

Thanks for the info depotrat. Here's a stupid question for you... do they start selling tickets earlier than the park's posted opening time? I saw that there is a ticket booth at the Flying Turns. Is that the best plan of attack- get to the park a bit early and then get in line for a FT ticket in order to get in the actual line for the ride? I only plan on riding it once and then head on to other things. I do plan on staying the entire 5 hours though, so if FT takes up an hour, I still have 4 hours for the other rides I mentioned.

Again, thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it!

Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by drachen drachen Profile at 10/22/13 11:12:59 AM
ray_p said:

Thanks for the info depotrat. Here's a stupid question for you... do they start selling tickets earlier than the park's posted opening time? I saw that there is a ticket booth at the Flying Turns. Is that the best plan of attack- get to the park a bit early and then get in line for a FT ticket in order to get in the actual line for the ride? I only plan on riding it once and then head on to other things. I do plan on staying the entire 5 hours though, so if FT takes up an hour, I still have 4 hours for the other rides I mentioned.

Again, thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it!

On the last day of the season, I don't know what kind of crowds to expect. But again, even if the queue is full, you're looking at about a 30 minute wait - no big deal.

Regarding when they start selling tickets, I can't help you there either, but I'm sure they open a bit earlier than the park. Best bet is to plan to get their early just in case. Worst case scenario is you have to walk around the gorgeous park for a little while!

But if you're like me, you might have some Knoebels tickets around the house. If so, and if you have $3 worth, the Flying Turns attendant will take those too, and you can purchase the other tickets once you get off.

* This post was modified at 10/22/13 1:44:58 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by drachen drachen Profile at 10/22/13 1:30:43 PM
I had my threads mixed up - I had said this in the other Flying Turns thread....

drachen said:

I did make it to the park this past Friday evening. Flying Turns queue was overflowing into the midway when we got there at 6:30.

By 9pm, the line was still back to the entrance - which was exactly a 30 minute wait. Don't be afraid to wait for this coaster. The line really moves pretty well.

If the two switchbacks near the station are not in use (which you can easily see from the Flyers), a full queue wait is 30 minutes. If the switchbacks are in use, add 10-15 minutes, I would imagine.

drachen
Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by depotrat at 10/22/13 1:55:29 PM
We got to the park just after 1 PM for a 2 PM opening on Saturday. The ticket booth where the handstamps are sold was open and selling individual tickets also. We bought our usual $40 worth of tickets and headed for the then tiny FT line.

Drachen says the line was only 30 minutes and may have been his day, but the people I talked to mid-afternoon waiting in the rain and not to the entrance yet said they had been waiting over 30 minutes and weren't in the actual queue yet. Maybe they exagerated. The line on Saturday spilled out of the entrance around the corner of the ride and down into the courtyard near the cheesesteak stand. We left just before 5 PM so maybe it got shorter later but the first three hours it was a really long line.

Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by ray_p ray_p Profile at 10/22/13 2:39:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I'll need to crawl out of bed a little earlier Sunday morning to be at the park by 11:00-ish. If it means getting to be one of the first riders of the day on Flying Turns, it'll all be worth it. I'll play some games on the iPhone to kill the time. :) Honestly, if I'm able to be off of FT by 12:30, that would give me plenty of time to do the rest of the things I want to do.

Now I just have to hope that the weather looks good for Sunday as I don't think I'll be making the 5 hour drive if it's going to be a wash out. I haven't been to Knoebels since 2008, so I think I am long overdue!

Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by drachen drachen Profile at 10/22/13 3:00:42 PM
It could have been the day, but the crowd size is kinda' irrelevant to the wait time. If the line is backed up to the ride entrance, you're looking at 30-45 minutes, depending on whether the two switchbacks are in use, and whether or not they have all three trains on.

If all three trains are running, the line moves pretty well. Operations are very efficient, and I imagine it's the same, no matter the day.

If the line is over-flowing, you can estimate the wait time, based on the actually queue length.

Obviously, get there as early as you can to get on it first. Then, if you want to ride again, you can get get a glimpse of those two switchbacks aboard the Flyers.

Have fun, Ray! I hope the weather holds up for you. No Knoebels in 5 years? That would be hard for me to do!

* This post was modified at 10/22/13 3:02:56 PM *

drachen
Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by depotrat at 10/22/13 3:58:20 PM
Ray - your 11 AM arrival plan is probably prudent. We knew we only had 2.5-3 hrs of park time before we had to leave on Saturday and wanted to spend as little time as possible in line for FT while the park was open. Sounds similar for you visiting on a Sunday with only 5 hours of park time available.

Good luck, The weather looks OK now but Sunday is days away yet! LOL

Re: Quick Thoughts from an October Friday at Knoebels by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/23/13 1:09:16 PM
ray_p said:

I figure if I can do... StratosFear...

I know you love Xscream at Waldameer, Ray, so you will love StratosFear.
Maybe more so, but I say that only because StratosFear is fresh in my memory after PPP, and I can't even remember what year it was I rode Xscream with you.

Mike B.