Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks

Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks

enurweb

Posted:
10/12/13 at
10:36:14 AM

Hi everyone!

I really hope some of you could help me with some information I've been trying to look up over the internet.

I'm travelling from Norway to visit a lot of amusement parks, including Six Flags Great Adventure and Cedar Point. I will probably be in the US from mid-June until beginning of July.

I have been to SFGA before once and would love to come back there again. Also been to Orlando and Tampa and done most of the parks down there.

Last but not least last year I was at Six Flags Magic Mountain which I by the way think afterwards was kind of hyped. For me it was a little dissapointing as I felt SFGA was a better park.

Now, if you guys had have to prioritize which parks to visit from my list. Which parks would you guys recommend stopping by?

It's perfectly fine to recommend some parks not on my list yet if I've missed anything. In fact I would appreciate it!

The route as it is right now may be changed as there are a lot of states in the middle of the driving route I'm really curious about.
Thinking of starting of in Washington DC, then head towards New Jersey and New York. Moving on to Ohio (Cedar Point) and then Chicago.
Might be driving to St. Louis and then Texas but I also might skip St. Louis and fly from Chicago to Texas.

My list for now (which has to be shortened some):
- Kings Dominion
- Six Flags Great Adventure
- Cedar Point
- Kings Island
- Six Flags Great America
- Six Flags St. Louis
- Silver Dollar City
- Six Flags over Texas
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- Schlitterbahn (suppose to be a great waterpark??)

And you guys, thanks in advance for helping out! Any other tips and advice will be greatly appreciated! Also regaring sights along the route or if you feel I should change my route.

* This post was modified at 10/13/13 4:31:22 AM *

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 10/12/13 11:49:26 AM
Texas is not a good place to visit in late-August. The theme parks here go to weekends only near the end of the month. I suspect next year that will start August 25.

Schlitterbahn remains open on weekdays through Labor Day, but for the final week of August they have very limited operations. Only Blastenhoff was open this year, so the best park Schlitterbahn West and most of the attractions are closed. The full park is open on weekends.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/12/13 3:46:45 PM
Your list of parks are some of the best in the country. I would definitely keep to that list. 7 of those parks are in my 12. If you are going to visit Kings Dominion, then Busch Gardens Europe is a must. It is a true world class destination. Another park that I would add is Hershey Park. Hershey is another park that has grown into a world class destination. Other than that that list looks great. You'll want to buy a Six Flags season pass, because it is good at all Six Flags parks. If you are only going to visit 3 Cedar Fair parks for one day each, then I would not recommend a Cedar Fair platinum pass. That pass includes admission into all Cedar Fair parks and free parking, but it costs $191. I don't think you'll get your money's worth, unless you plan on visiting Kings Dominion, Kings Island, and Cedar Point multiple days. If I think of any more helpful tips, I'll post them later.
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/12/13 4:13:59 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Texas is not a good place to visit in late-August. The theme parks here go to weekends only near the end of the month. I suspect next year that will start August 25.

Schlitterbahn remains open on weekdays through Labor Day, but for the final week of August they have very limited operations. Only Blastenhoff was open this year, so the best park Schlitterbahn West and most of the attractions are closed. The full park is open on weekends.

Thanks for your reply Eric!
Why does parks close so early in Texas? It's warm down there so no need to close early?

Ohh... regarding Schlitterbahn in Brunsfell. Many are saying it's the best waterpark but watching youtube videos it doesnt seem that exciting. Is it really an awesome waterpark?

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/12/13 4:19:41 PM
frontrow said:

Your list of parks are some of the best in the country. I would definitely keep to that list. 7 of those parks are in my 12. If you are going to visit Kings Dominion, then Busch Gardens Europe is a must. It is a true world class destination. Another park that I would add is Hershey Park. Hershey is another park that has grown into a world class destination. Other than that that list looks great. You'll want to buy a Six Flags season pass, because it is good at all Six Flags parks. If you are only going to visit 3 Cedar Fair parks for one day each, then I would not recommend a Cedar Fair platinum pass. That pass includes admission into all Cedar Fair parks and free parking, but it costs $191. I don't think you'll get your money's worth, unless you plan on visiting Kings Dominion, Kings Island, and Cedar Point multiple days. If I think of any more helpful tips, I'll post them later.

Thanks a bunch for great tips. I didnt think about season passes to be honest.

We might skip St. Louis and Silver Dollar City and take a flight from Chicago to Texas so we save 14 hours of driving.

Also might consider spending two days at Cedar Point.

Might also be buying Flash Passes somewhere due to limited time in the US :-)
Though we got burned buying Platinum Flash Passes at Magic Mountain because the park staff didnt inform us of low attandance in the park.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by ericthewanderer at 10/12/13 4:19:58 PM
First of all,I ask that you give Six Flags America a chance.Next year they'll be getting a spinning coaster and a flying scooter ride,and if you get there early enough(particularly on Sundays from my experience)you can hit the major rides with little or no lines.
Second,how about some of the smaller parks?Hershey,Dorney,Kennywood,etc.-plus the boardwalks in Ocean City,Md and the Jersey Shore-have some fanastic elements.
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/12/13 4:45:50 PM
Regarding Schlitterbahn, yes it is the best waterpark I have ever been to. Trust me because I have been to LOTS of waterparks across the country. I am as much a waterpark enthusiast as a roller coaster enthusiast. Just be sure to get there early and do the new side first where Master Blaster is. The newer side gets very packed and I don't know why?? You actually have to take a bus to get over there. The park is split into 3 sections! Very big! If you can knock off the few slides on this side first before the lines are 2 hours long, then you will be able to enjoy the better part of Schlitterbahn. The best is the original area. You will be tubing all day down all kinds of slides. Some of the slides even lead right into the river. It is all natural on this side...lol. It has not been named the Best Waterpark for the last 15 years or so for no reason.

* This post was modified at 10/12/13 4:49:42 PM *

Dion
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 10/13/13 2:49:22 AM
enurweb said:

Why does parks close so early in Texas? It's warm down there so no need to close early?

Weather is not the issue. In the south school is back in session starting that week, so there is a lack of business and shortage of employees to operate the parks.

Schlitterbahn relies on management to pull of the limited operations. It's great because you can ride the Master Blaster with little to no wait, but that and the Torrent River are the only rides worth riding.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/13/13 7:34:49 AM
Are you kidding me Eric?? The Master Blaster is actually the most overrated ride in the park. Me and my girlfriend waited 1 hour for that and after we got off we both were not very impressed. You said there are only two good slides?? Every slide we went on at that park was high thrill factor!! I don't think you were at Schlitterbahn. I think you were at Dorney's Wildwater Kingdom...lol.
Dion
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/13/13 1:35:09 PM
Another park you may want to consider is Knoebles, which is in central PA a little over a hour from Hershey. Knoebles has 2 great wooden coasters in The Phoenix and Twister. Flying Turns in now open. They have the best bumper cars in the US. Their carousel still allows you to catch the brass ring. They have the best flying scooters along with some other classic, rare rides. Knoebles is a park that I think you should do some research on. After my visit last month, I now have a whole new level of appreciation for that park. It's very different than the parks you have listed, but it is a hidden gem in US amusement parks.

Kennywood, which is my home park, would be an option on your way to Cedar Point. Kennywood has a mix of new and classic old rides. It's another park I recommend that you research. Knoebles or Kennywood are not huge parks, and only have 5 or 6 coasters. The coasters that both parks have are very unique and are really good coasters. Both parks have a stellar collection of flat rides, with a mixture of new and classic. Some of those flats at those 2 parks are literally one of a kind, or the last remaining of It's type. So if this intrigues your interest, you may want to consider those 2 parks.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 10/13/13 2:16:07 PM
chitlins73 said:

Are you kidding me Eric?? The Master Blaster is actually the most overrated ride in the park. Me and my girlfriend waited 1 hour for that and after we got off we both were not very impressed. You said there are only two good slides?? Every slide we went on at that park was high thrill factor!! I don't think you were at Schlitterbahn. I think you were at Dorney's Wildwater Kingdom...lol.

How did you know that I rank Wildwater Kingdom above Schlitterbahn?

No I'm not kidding. You didn't read my response correctly. My reply was referring to the last week of August when only the Blastenhoff section is open. During that week (only that week) there are only two attractions open that are really any good- Master Blaster and Torrent River.

The rest of the park and really some of the best are closed. Schlitterbahn West and Tubenbach are my favorites.

Master Blaster is a great water coaster, but I won't wait an hour to ride it. 30 minutes is my limit, so this past season I rode it midweek before Memorial Day, the midweek during the final week of August and once on closing day. All summer I skipped it.

My favorite Schlitterbahn rides are Whitewater Tube Chute, Hillside Tube Chute, Double Loop, Cliffhanger and The Falls-Deluge at Tubenbach.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by boesball at 10/13/13 5:39:10 PM
add Holiday World to your list. NOW
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/13/13 8:03:11 PM
My bad Eric....I thought that was kinda strange that you said Schlitterbahn only had 2 good slides...lol
Dion
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/14/13 2:39:16 AM
ericthewanderer said:

First of all,I ask that you give Six Flags America a chance.Next year they'll be getting a spinning coaster and a flying scooter ride,and if you get there early enough(particularly on Sundays from my experience)you can hit the major rides with little or no lines.
Second,how about some of the smaller parks?Hershey,Dorney,Kennywood,etc.-plus the boardwalks in Ocean City,Md and the Jersey Shore-have some fanastic elements.

Thanks for the smaller parks tips. I will visit every webpage and try to prioritize a little. Due to limited time I have to try hitting the best of the best :-)

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/14/13 2:42:40 AM
chitlins73 said:

Regarding Schlitterbahn, yes it is the best waterpark I have ever been to. Trust me because I have been to LOTS of waterparks across the country. I am as much a waterpark enthusiast as a roller coaster enthusiast. Just be sure to get there early and do the new side first where Master Blaster is. The newer side gets very packed and I don't know why?? You actually have to take a bus to get over there. The park is split into 3 sections! Very big! If you can knock off the few slides on this side first before the lines are 2 hours long, then you will be able to enjoy the better part of Schlitterbahn. The best is the original area. You will be tubing all day down all kinds of slides. Some of the slides even lead right into the river. It is all natural on this side...lol. It has not been named the Best Waterpark for the last 15 years or so for no reason.

Thanks a lot for the Schlitterbahn feedback :-)
Seems awesome now that I've got a better understanding of the park.

Might even have to come back for a second day? I't seems huge!
I love the detailed comments with tips and tricks of how to beat the lines and other stuff since we have limited time :-)

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/14/13 2:46:42 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

enurweb said:

Weather is not the issue. In the south school is back in session starting that week, so there is a lack of business and shortage of employees to operate the parks.

Schlitterbahn relies on management to pull of the limited operations. It's great because you can ride the Master Blaster with little to no wait, but that and the Torrent River are the only rides worth riding.

I get it now. Sorry for my slow working brain :-P

Actually I'm really glad you took up the issue with parks in Texas closing cause they do that all over the country. I've checked each park now and we are seriously considering changing the departure to mid-June instead og August.

In that way Schlitterbahn should also be in full operation right? :-)

Just hope all the new rides in the parks are ready by June. I missed Full Throttle in Magic Mountain cause we were there to early in May.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/14/13 2:49:29 AM
frontrow said:

Another park you may want to consider is Knoebles, which is in central PA a little over a hour from Hershey. Knoebles has 2 great wooden coasters in The Phoenix and Twister. Flying Turns in now open. They have the best bumper cars in the US. Their carousel still allows you to catch the brass ring. They have the best flying scooters along with some other classic, rare rides. Knoebles is a park that I think you should do some research on. After my visit last month, I now have a whole new level of appreciation for that park. It's very different than the parks you have listed, but it is a hidden gem in US amusement parks.

Kennywood, which is my home park, would be an option on your way to Cedar Point. Kennywood has a mix of new and classic old rides. It's another park I recommend that you research. Knoebles or Kennywood are not huge parks, and only have 5 or 6 coasters. The coasters that both parks have are very unique and are really good coasters. Both parks have a stellar collection of flat rides, with a mixture of new and classic. Some of those flats at those 2 parks are literally one of a kind, or the last remaining of It's type. So if this intrigues your interest, you may want to consider those 2 parks.

Appreciate your detailed feedback!

I love people who tell me why I should go somewhere and not just tell me to go.
Not that I actually love you, I mean that would be wierd :-P

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/14/13 2:50:11 AM
boesball said:

add Holiday World to your list. NOW

Will be checking it out!

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/14/13 4:04:47 PM
I agree!! Holiday World has the best woodie in the world and two other great woodies!! My favorite park!!
Dion
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/19/13 10:11:54 AM
Holiday World
Hershey Park
Kennywood
Knobels

4 off the top of my head that are top notch parks. I can only speak for the first two, but I've heard plenty of good things about Kennywood and Knobels.

Hershey has the chocolate factory tour, as well as some greatttt coasters. Including the ever so talked about Skyrush.

Knobels is way different than any park on your list or this one, as it's a pay per ride park. It's got that old school feel and great setting.

Hope you have a great trip, I'd say you HAVE to visit one of these parks. If I placed them in an order of importance it'd be 1. HW 2. Hersey 3. Knobels and 4. Kennywood.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/21/13 12:56:05 PM
mugen828 said:

Holiday World
Hershey Park
Kennywood
Knobels

4 off the top of my head that are top notch parks. I can only speak for the first two, but I've heard plenty of good things about Kennywood and Knobels.

Hershey has the chocolate factory tour, as well as some greatttt coasters. Including the ever so talked about Skyrush.

Knobels is way different than any park on your list or this one, as it's a pay per ride park. It's got that old school feel and great setting.

Hope you have a great trip, I'd say you HAVE to visit one of these parks. If I placed them in an order of importance it'd be 1. HW 2. Hersey 3. Knobels and 4. Kennywood.

Thanks for the feedback ;)

I would love to visit all the parks mentioned but sadly it's a time issue since our party wants to experience some other things in the US other than just amusement parks.

Anyways I will try my best to squeeze as many in the as possible :)

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/21/13 12:57:30 PM
If you guys would have to choose either Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Which would it be?

Thinking about comparing both extreme ride but also the park in general.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/21/13 1:11:20 PM
enurweb said:

If you guys would have to choose either Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Which would it be?

Ah, such a decision can be fraught with inner turmoil. Even for those of us that have visited both parks multiple times (not always on the same trip) and most likely will again.

But for someone who may never get the chance again and must choose only one?

BGW.

Mike B.
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Coaster316 at 10/21/13 1:13:53 PM
Kings Dominion is my favorite park ever and I love it dearly...but I would say BGW.

The stuff that Kings Dominion can offer is very good in my opinion and it holds a lot of great memories for me, but Busch Gardens is different. The experience as a whole is different and their rides are really, really good, too. So for someone in your instance I would agree with Mike and recommend Busch.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/21/13 1:23:23 PM
I've always considered BG's coasters to be second-class examples of their respective types. They're perfectly good rides, but to me, there are better hypers than Apollo, better inverts than Alpengeist, and a better dive coaster than Griffon. I haven't been on Verbolten, and I LOVE me some Loch Ness Monster (preferably fried.) You want nice scenery, quality shows, above average food, and good coasters, that should be your destination. You want 2 great steel coasters, 2 good wood coasters, lousy food, head to KD. My choice would always be KD...there's just more rides there that really appeal to my sensibilities.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 10/21/13 2:37:39 PM
Where is there a better dive coaster than Griffon?
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/21/13 3:11:37 PM
I just happen to like SheikRa better. Granted, I only had one ride on Griffon. Hope to get back to BGE next season and give it some more opportunities to pass its Florida cousin.

* This post was modified at 10/21/13 3:58:29 PM *

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/21/13 8:27:23 PM
enurweb said:

Kings Dominion has my favorite steel coaster, Intimadator 305. Kings Dominion also has 2 more really good steel coasters and 2 really good wooden coasters. Kings Dominion is one of the best THRILL parks in the country.

Busch Gardens is a beautiful THEME park. The theming is Disney/ Universal quality. Busch Gardens also offers 5 really good steel coasters. Apollos Chariot and Griffon are world class coasters. Verbolten, Alpengeist, and LNM ars pretty good also. Busch Gardens also has a really good dark ride. The problem with Busch Gardens is that you will find yourself reriding these coasters, because there are not a ton of rides or coasters. Kings Dominion is the opposite, it does have a lot of coasters and rides.

I have Busch Gardens as my 3rd favorite park, and Kings Dominion as my 8th favorite. I recommend on making every effort possible to visit both. If you have to choose one, then you must decide what you like better; a thrill park or a theme park. Kings Dominion is one of the best parks in the country, but Busch Gardens is an experience that you will remember forever.

I would suggest Busch Gardens, but if a beautiful themed park with 5 rollercoasters doesn't interest you, and park with 14 or 15 coasters does then I would choose Kings Dominion. Either way you can't go wrong. I think you will be very impressed with either park.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by depotrat at 10/21/13 10:40:16 PM
Doing both parks also gives the advantage of cutting back on exhausting travel for a day as they are only 55 minutes apart. You pretty much won't find two world class parks this close together in the USA outside of FL or CA.
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/22/13 7:15:21 AM
I must thank you guys for your incredible patience with me, really helpfull :)

After loooong discussions with my "team members" (one friend of mine and my wife) on this trip it looks like we will visit the following:

- Six Flags Great Adventure
- Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- Cedar Point
- Six Flags Great America
- Six Flags over Texas
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- Sea World (San Antonio)
- Schlitterbahn (New Braunfels)

This list is what I'm currently stuck with because they didn't want to drive from Chicago to Texas and we are ending up flying instead.

Of course... I might be able to argue that we should hit both Kings Dominion AND Busch Gardens Williamsburg but then we will have to cut one of the other parks. Maybe one of the two in Texas.

What do you guys think about the list? Should we reorganize it somehow?

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by depotrat at 10/22/13 1:59:06 PM
Unless you have something else really good in Chicago set up, I would skip SF Great America and do both KD and BGW.
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 10/22/13 2:10:20 PM
SeaWorld San Antonio why bother? It's a waste of your time to visit this park. I would drop this park and visit Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion.
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Coaster316 at 10/22/13 3:02:33 PM
Now you're going to get all sorts of comments to twist you up. :)

I was just coming in to say that the addition of Sea World is brilliant and should add something different to your excellent trip.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 10/22/13 3:42:11 PM
I would say it depends on what your reason is for visiting SeaWorld. Don't go for the roller coasters. Aquatica is great and the animal experiences/shows are good.
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/22/13 4:59:16 PM
No way you can skip Six Flags Great America!! This is a big year for the park because they are currently building a record breaking wooden coaster!! Goliath looks like it will be amazing!! Will be the fastest wooden coaster and have the steepest drop along with inversions!! This is my most anticipated coaster of 2014!!
Dion
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/22/13 8:02:20 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

SeaWorld San Antonio why bother? It's a waste of your time to visit this park. I would drop this park and visit Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion.

I totally agree.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/23/13 12:00:27 AM
I agree on going to both bgw and kd. If you are to go to a sea world, i'd recommend the orlando park, but since it doesn't seem like florida is on the list, then perhaps put it off for the next trip and include it with bg tampa.
I rank kd as my fav amusement park with sfgadv. I had great days at kd and never got bored and stayed at the park till closing. I305, dominator and volcano are all very fun steel coasters and they have a number of other smaller coasters and flat rides. Bgw has some really good coasters, but you would need to get rerides on them because the park is small and you would probably be done with the park by the middle of the day, unless it was super crowded.

As for sheikra vs griffon, i have said i think griffon is a better ride, but i like sheikra's layout better as the splash pool is out in the open for ppl to get soaked under and being isolated gives it more space than the sorta crammed in feeling of griffon at bgw. Aesthetically, i'd take sheikra over griffon due to the layout/placement.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/27/13 12:25:07 PM
depotrat said:

Unless you have something else really good in Chicago set up, I would skip SF Great America and do both KD and BGW.

We are travelling to Chicago and like someone else said. There's some new additons to Great America I don't want to miss :)

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/27/13 12:27:32 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

SeaWorld San Antonio sticks on the list because of the same reason someone else commented, to experience something a little different. To brake of the adrenaline rush day in day out activites.

Two of us in the party have been to SeaWorld Orlando before and loved it, not just coasters but the animals and the shows.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/27/13 12:28:49 PM
Coaster316 said:

Now you're going to get all sorts of comments to twist you up. :)

I was just coming in to say that the addition of Sea World is brilliant and should add something different to your excellent trip.

I totally agree with you! :)

SeaWorld is a must for us so everyone in our group gets to experience what some of us have done once before :)

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/27/13 12:29:40 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I would say it depends on what your reason is for visiting SeaWorld. Don't go for the roller coasters. Aquatica is great and the animal experiences/shows are good.

SeaWorld is mostly because of the animals and shows not the coasters :)

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/27/13 12:30:24 PM
chitlins73 said:

No way you can skip Six Flags Great America!! This is a big year for the park because they are currently building a record breaking wooden coaster!! Goliath looks like it will be amazing!! Will be the fastest wooden coaster and have the steepest drop along with inversions!! This is my most anticipated coaster of 2014!!

Agreed! We are going to Great America on our trip.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/27/13 12:32:28 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

I agree on going to both bgw and kd. If you are to go to a sea world, i'd recommend the orlando park, but since it doesn't seem like florida is on the list, then perhaps put it off for the next trip and include it with bg tampa.
I rank kd as my fav amusement park with sfgadv. I had great days at kd and never got bored and stayed at the park till closing. I305, dominator and volcano are all very fun steel coasters and they have a number of other smaller coasters and flat rides. Bgw has some really good coasters, but you would need to get rerides on them because the park is small and you would probably be done with the park by the middle of the day, unless it was super crowded.

As for sheikra vs griffon, i have said i think griffon is a better ride, but i like sheikra's layout better as the splash pool is out in the open for ppl to get soaked under and being isolated gives it more space than the sorta crammed in feeling of griffon at bgw. Aesthetically, i'd take sheikra over griffon due to the layout/placement.

Thanks for the feedback!

Some of us in our group have been to the Orlando parks, also SeaWorld. And also Busch Gardens Tampa actually :)

We want everyone to enjoy the animals and shows at SeaWorld so that's why we are getting in there.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/27/13 12:33:02 PM
Thanks again for the feedback everyone :)

We are prepared that we might need some Flash Passes in some of the parks (guessing Cedar Point also offers something like that) because of the limited time we are staying at each place.

I'm asking cause we have been to Six Flags Great Adventure once before and we absolutly needed that Flash Pass that time! It was a saviour. But then we went to Six Flags Magic Mountain this May and we bought the Platinum Flash Pass because of our previous experience at Great Adventure. The staff failed to inform us that there were allmost none visitors to the park so we actually didn't have any use of the passes at all, lines were super short anyways. So yeah, we spent a lot of money on nothing.

By deafult I would say Six Flags Great Adventure and Cedar Point is two obvious parks we need those passes, is there any of the other ones you would recommend buying passes? I would hate not having the time to ride them all!

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/28/13 3:57:51 PM
enurweb said:

Thanks again for the feedback everyone :)

We are prepared that we might need some Flash Passes in some of the parks (guessing Cedar Point also offers something like that) because of the limited time we are staying at each place.

I'm asking cause we have been to Six Flags Great Adventure once before and we absolutly needed that Flash Pass that time! It was a saviour. But then we went to Six Flags Magic Mountain this May and we bought the Platinum Flash Pass because of our previous experience at Great Adventure. The staff failed to inform us that there were allmost none visitors to the park so we actually didn't have any use of the passes at all, lines were super short anyways. So yeah, we spent a lot of money on nothing.

By deafult I would say Six Flags Great Adventure and Cedar Point is two obvious parks we need those passes, is there any of the other ones you would recommend buying passes? I would hate not having the time to ride them all!

I've been to Six Flags Great America twice. Both times the crowds have been insane. With the addition of Goliath I'm sure it will be crowded next year. I have never purchased a fast lane/ flash pass upgrade. I will be purchasing passes when we visit next year. In 2012 we visited SF Great America on a week day in June. The wait times were 30 minutes to 2 hours. I don't know if I ever seen a park that crowded. The mid ways were packed. I would strongly consider buying fast lane for SF Great America.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by depotrat at 10/28/13 4:54:58 PM
When we do coaster trips our general plan is to buy a line beater wherever they are available. If the weather or something works in our favor we may pass but generally we figure it into the budget. First, it virtually assures that we will get on every coaster. Second, it speeds us through the park and sometimes allows us get on the road a few hours earlier which really helps when there are long distances to be driven to the next park.

These can be pricey, but when you are in a park for a once in a lifetime visit they are priceless.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/28/13 10:04:59 PM
Or just wait till you get there and see how bad the lines are.
Dion
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/28/13 11:49:20 PM
enurweb said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Some of us in our group have been to the Orlando parks, also SeaWorld. And also Busch Gardens Tampa actually :)

We want everyone to enjoy the animals and shows at SeaWorld so that's why we are getting in there.

Oic, good to know. I practically go to Florida every year now, so I'm spoiled on that area. But yes, I do agree the animal shows are wonderful as well as the exhibits. If I didn't have an annual pass, I probably would've stayed at SW all day to check out all the attractions there and of course take multiple rides on the coasters. With the pass, I just spend half a day and come back later in the week.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 10/29/13 9:12:20 AM
Good to know about the Great America park. Will be going for some Flash Passes I think.
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/30/13 10:17:17 AM
BGW over KD if this is a trip that won't happen again anytime soon.

Kings Dominion has way more rides, but BGW is a fabulous park and each coaster is very very good, imo.

Although, Kings Dominion is going to have Banshe (the longest inverted coaster) next year, and they have I-305 as well. BGW is just such a beautiful park, and although they only have 5 coasters, they are all top notch, where as KD has some duds. BGW is more exspensive, but for good reasons.

If you flipped a coin to decide, you wouldn't be disappointed with either one really.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/30/13 11:01:54 AM
mugen828 said:

Although, Kings Dominion is going to have Banshe (the longest inverted coaster) next year,

And I thought *I* was bad at geography :)

Banshee's home is Kings Island.

Mike

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 11/1/13 10:19:18 AM
Seems like the group has decided to only do Kings Dominion.

Partly because it cuts 2 hours of driving time of our allready long route but also because they wanted to spend a day in Chicago, which we wouldn't have had time to do if we did Busch Gardens aswell.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by frontrow frontrow Profile at 11/1/13 8:18:32 PM
enurweb said:

Partly because it cuts 2 hours of driving time of our allready long route but also because they wanted to spend a day in Chicago, which we wouldn't have had time to do if we did Busch Gardens aswell.

My previous posts were encouraging you to visit Busch Gardens Europe. Most people on URC, including myself, are from the US and have never been to Europe. BGE best attribute is the European theming. You guys probably have been to all the places that BGE attempts to recreate. I still think you would have loved the 5 coasters and would have been impressed with the detail of the theming. I do understand why you guys decided not to include it. As Americans, who never been to Europe, BGE fascinates us with the European theming. You guys are probably looking for the US parks that represent US culture and theme park atmosphere. Apparently you guys have realized that different parts of our country are different than than others. New Jersey to Chicago to Texas will be a testament to that statement. To sum it up, I understand your selection of parks. Now that I really think about it, Your list is probably perfect for what you wish to achieve. I hope all of you not only enjoy your trip, but get the whole US theme park experience.

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/2/13 6:11:39 PM
enurweb said:

Well, I think you folks made the right choice with KD. You'll be able to spend a whole day there and hopefully get a few rerides (obviously do Volcano first thing if you get there at the park's opening or you are out of luck for the rest of the day). I305 is a nicely themed representation of the Nascar sport. I don't think you'd need to buy the fast line pass (or whatever its called) to bypass the lines unless you want multiple rides on Volcano. Everything else in the park should be maybe 30min at most as long as all the rides are running with at least 2 trains.

* This post was modified at 11/4/13 4:06:06 PM *

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by enurweb at 11/4/13 5:00:21 AM
I think you both; frontrow and Cyclone_Phil understand our situation quite well :-)

Now I have asked about Flash Passes or Fast Passes or whatever they are named.

I also wonder if you guys have a special order you like to do the rides in the different parks to maximize the number of rides you get to go on?

I think I have Six Flags Great Adventure figured out with starting over at Kingda Ka. But the other parks like Great America, over Texas, Fiesta Texas, Cedar Point and KD :-)

Re: Coming from Norway to tour some great roller coaster parks by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/4/13 4:12:00 PM
Six Flags Great Adv, start with Kingda ka and el toro and stick with the coasters around it. I went there before the addition of Green Lantern, so I can't say which to do next after El toro and Bizzaro. Superman was soso, I wouldn't recommend it unless the line was short. *note: I don't buy the passes and go on the regular lines.

KD, Volcano, FoF, I305, Anaconda, Avalanche, and I guess shockwave, rebel yell, hurler and grizzly (basically work your way clockwise and finish with Dominator in the mid afternoon). I think one of the best places to go wait for the rope to drop to enter the rest of the park to volcano is the path where dominator is.

* This post was modified at 11/4/13 4:17:09 PM *