Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > great american scream machine vs shockwave

great american scream machine vs shockwave

skc2000

Posted:
10/6/13 at
1:23:50 AM

The great american scream machine at six flags great adventures & the Shockwave at six flags great america both coasters had the exact same layout.my question is that between the 2 coasters which one did you enjoy better & why?

For me both coasters were exactly the same but the scream machine had a much better appearance than the shockwave.

The scream machine which was red the color red has a much better appearance than the color of the shockwave which was blue.

Also the scream machine had much more photo oppurtunities than the shockwave did.Like how the queue line & exit went underneath the 2nd corkscrew & there were also many more photo oppurtunities of the scream machine in the parking lot than on the shockwave.

So as far as photo opprtunities the scream machine wins hands down over the shockwave.

But except for the photo opprtunities which the scream machine was the winner both coasters had the exact same layout.

For everybody else which coaster did you enjoy better & why?

skc2000

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 10/6/13 10:02:56 AM
WTH? Photo opertunities? Apearance? Whats that got to do with the rides? Did you even ride either?

I rode both and Shockwave blew the heck out of Scream Machine. It took the loops unbraked and the G's were INSANE. I also thought it was less headbanging than Screem Machine as it took the course at higher speed and set your body in place.

Oh well. YMMV.
Chuck

skc2000 said:

The great american scream machine at six flags great adventures & the Shockwave at six flags great america both coasters had the exact same layout.my question is that between the 2 coasters which one did you enjoy better & why?

For me both coasters were exactly the same but the scream machine had a much better appearance than the shockwave.

The scream machine which was red the color red has a much better appearance than the color of the shockwave which was blue.

Also the scream machine had much more photo oppurtunities than the shockwave did.Like how the queue line & exit went underneath the 2nd corkscrew & there were also many more photo oppurtunities of the scream machine in the parking lot than on the shockwave.

So as far as photo opprtunities the scream machine wins hands down over the shockwave.

But except for the photo opprtunities which the scream machine was the winner both coasters had the exact same layout.

For everybody else which coaster did you enjoy better & why?

skc2000

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 10/6/13 12:24:38 PM
I loved Shockwave. I only got to ride GASM once and it seemed a little bumpier than SFGAm's ride.

I don't know how you can say GASM was more photogenic as Shockwave had quite a few photo opportunities from the parking lot.

To this day I miss Shockwave's presence at SFGAm. Turning off of Grand and heading towards the parking toll booths the ride commanded attention since there was nothing of similar size around it. Superman doesn't have the same impact. At SFGAdv Kingda Ka and the parachute tower sort of took that away from GASM.

Even though the GASM's queue offered more visuals of the coaster, Shockwave's bridge had better views of the first drop and first three loops. I always liked watching the train continually rise higher and higher into the first loop.

G-Dog

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 10/6/13 1:00:51 PM
I thought about that too after I posted.
Shockwave just dominated the skyline. That was way cool to see.

Geauga_Dog said:

I loved Shockwave. I only got to ride GASM once and it seemed a little bumpier than SFGAm's ride.

I don't know how you can say GASM was more photogenic as Shockwave had quite a few photo opportunities from the parking lot.

To this day I miss Shockwave's presence at SFGAm. Turning off of Grand and heading towards the parking toll booths the ride commanded attention since there was nothing of similar size around it. Superman doesn't have the same impact. At SFGAdv Kingda Ka and the parachute tower sort of took that away from GASM.

Even though the GASM's queue offered more visuals of the coaster, Shockwave's bridge had better views of the first drop and first three loops. I always liked watching the train continually rise higher and higher into the first loop.

G-Dog

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by skc2000 at 10/6/13 2:33:37 PM
You do have a very good point because except for the raging bull Shockwave was the tallest coaster in the park except for the raging bull & raging bull is located nowhere near where shockwave used to be while the scream machine had both the parachute jump right next to it & kingda ka not too far away either.But despite the nearby parachute jump the scream machine was still way more photogenic than shockwave was.

First of all the color red is much more appealing than the color blue plus

The 2nd corkscrew was one of the few upside down elements that went over where park guests can be right there directly underneath the corkscrew element.

The only other coasters that i can think of that did that is the corkscrew at cedar point or the cobra roll on kumba.Except for these coasters no other coaster had the upside down element right over where park guests go which created some very good photo opportunities.& that,s on top of the fact that the color red is much more appealing than the color blue.

living in brooklyn ny which is only 68 miles from SFGADV i have ridden the scream machine a few hundred times since it opened up in 1989 while the shockwave i have only ridden about 10 times but i did happen to ride shockwave in the last year of operation 2002 but having ridden the scream machine many more times than i have ridden the shockwave one element on the scream machine that i remember very well if you rode the scream machine in the front seat the 90 degree turn in between the double loops & the mid course braking system the airtime there was incredible but only if you rode in the front seat.Riding the scream machine in the front seat that 90 degree turn before the mid course braking system it literally looked like the train was going to derail off the tracks & into the parking lot below.I loved it.I don,t remember if the shockwave had such intense airtime there like on the scream machine but whenever you rode the scream machine in the front seat the airtime was incredible at that 90 degree turn in between the double loops & the mid course braking system.

Also if you go to youtube.com you will notice that there is alot more videos of the scream machine than there is of the shockwave.

skc2000

Geauga_Dog said:

G-Dog

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/6/13 4:42:03 PM
Why are we even comparing two rides that no longer exist?
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by alpengeistno3 at 10/6/13 5:33:07 PM
I was wondering when someone would ask that question!

Next discussion: Riverview Bobs vs Rye Aeroplane. Let's use the number of youtube videos to compare which one was most photogenic!!

(Blame Mike for getting me started. I held my tongue long enough!)

Paul

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/6/13 5:51:27 PM
beastmaster said:

That's not true - the GASM is right here:

And here:

I think the baboons prefer GASM to Shockwave. :-P

Jen

* This post was modified at 10/6/13 6:01:59 PM *

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by Ligtnin78nic Ligtnin78nic Profile at 10/6/13 6:17:44 PM
Wow! I knew GASM's loop was in with the baboons but I thought the rest of it was melted down,gone(brakes,old tires from it). I never rode Shockwave but Scream Machine is my favorite coaster.I loved getting shot up in that first loop,it felt like being launched in to space,till it flipped you over and brings you back down to just do two more vertical loops.The barrel roll was like it was never gonna end.Lol Great memories miss that coaster.People said GASM was rough but if you ever rode Drachen Fire,or a Vekoma boomerang I think its a pretty smoothe coaster.
Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/6/13 6:42:55 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

Everybody blames the bald guy....

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by alpengeistno3 at 10/6/13 6:51:35 PM
GoYanks34 said:

And here:

Jen

Is that really GASM's loop? The monkeys used to always play on a piece of loop that I heard was from Lightning Loops long before GASM was taken down.

Paul

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/6/13 6:59:02 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

And here:

Jen

Is that really GASM's loop? The monkeys used to always play on a piece of loop that I heard was from Lightning Loops long before GASM was taken down.

Paul

Nope - it's GASM's. They replaced the upper portions of the loops the same year that Lightnin' Loops was removed hence the confusion. I thought the same thing for a while.

If you look at LL's structure there's no way that piece of track can be from it. Besides both loops went elsewhere so how could they have taken a piece of it? It all makes perfect sense in hindsight.

Jen

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by skc2000 at 10/6/13 10:36:49 PM
i Understand your point but there is a very big difference.Unfortunately i never rode the riverview bobs or the rye aeroplane.

When the scream machine opened up in 1989 it was my favorite coaster back then.when i rode it for the last time i happened to enjoy it even then & i really miss it alot.Even though it wasn,t my favorite in 2009 it was my favorite when it opened up in 1989 & i enjoyed it alot when i rode it for the last time in 2009.(never got to ride it in 2010).But even though i miss the scream machine alot at least there are alot of videos of it on youtube so at least i can still enjoy it a little bit even though it,s no longer around.

There are also videos of shockwave but not as much as the scream machine.

Now since both the scream machine & the shockwave were my favorite coasters & they were both very similar to each other that,s what prompted me to bring up this topic.

It,s pretty much like if you would lose a relative so at least you still have photos & videos of this relative even though your relative is not living anymore.

I liked the scream machine i miss it alot so at least there are videos of it on youtube.

skc2000

beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/6/13 4:42:03 PM

alpengeistno3 said:

I was wondering when someone would ask that question!

Next discussion: Riverview Bobs vs Rye Aeroplane. Let's use the number of youtube videos to compare which one was most photogenic!!

Paul

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by Coaster316 at 10/7/13 8:47:11 AM
I never knew this was ultimatecurrentlyoperatingrollercoaster.com.

Never rode Shockwave, but to me all the Arrow multi-loopers were close to the same and I never really felt much of a difference among any of them other than.

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 10/7/13 8:12:26 PM
Coaster316 said:

Never rode Shockwave, but to me all the Arrow multi-loopers were close to the same and I never really felt much of a difference among any of them other than.

I rode Greta in both 2001 and 2008. Both times it was braked to death going into the first loop and really felt no different than any other arrow.

We visited Chicago in 2003 and rode Shockwave.
HOLY FREAKING WOW. Full speed through all three loops and the G's were as powerful as I've ever felt.

We visited on a sat evening and then most of sunday. Saturday Evening Shockwave had no line near closing time and me and my brother rode it about 12 times without getting off. We loved that sucker. we rode it again sunday but it was a half hour plus wait and we wanted to hit some other stuff we hadn't hit the night before. Then we were off to Iowa.

Shockwave so far has been the most intense Arrow i'd ever ridden.

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by skc2000 at 10/7/13 10:45:18 PM
Living in brooklyn ny which is only 68 miles away from SFGADV I have been to the park more than 80 times since my first visit back in 1977.I have only been to SFGAM 8 times.7 of my visits to the park were when shockwave was still there & one visit after shockwave was taken down.

Both coasters were the tallest coasters in the world when they first opened up.The magnum opened up 3 weeks after the scream machine so the scream machine was the tallest coaster in the world for the first 3 weeks till magnum opened up.The shockwave was also the first coaster in the world to feature 7 inversions.

In 1993 a trim brake was added to both coasters at the exit to the first loop right before the banked left turn into the double loops.The viper at SFMM also got a trim brake in 1993 right at the exit to the first loop.The coasters were still very enjoyable even after the trim brake in 1993 but I enjoyed the scream machine more before the trim brake in 1993(my first visit to SFGAM was in 1995 & my first visit to SFMM was in 1996 which was after the trim brakes were added in 1993 so I never got to experience those 2 coasters without the trims).

The scream machine got a new paint job & really heavy brakes in 2005.But until 2005 (1993 & later) the only brakes was at the exit to the First loop.The truth is that even after the heavy braking in 2005 I still enjoyed the coaster a little bit even then but I enjoyed it much more before those brakes were added in 2005.

Even with the heavy braking in 2005 I still enjoyed it a little bit even then(but nowhere near as much as before 2005).

I have ridden the scream machine about 200 times since it first opened up in 1989 & even though the coaster was heavily braked for the last 5 years of it,s life I still miss it a lot despite the heavy braking added in 2005.

skc2000

CoasterFanatic said:

Coaster316 said:

I rode Greta in both 2001 and 2008. Both times it was braked to death going into the first loop and really felt no different than any other arrow.

We visited Chicago in 2003 and rode Shockwave.
HOLY FREAKING WOW. Full speed through all three loops and the G's were as powerful as I've ever felt.

We visited on a sat evening and then most of sunday. Saturday Evening Shockwave had no line near closing time and me and my brother rode it about 12 times without getting off. We loved that sucker. we rode it again sunday but it was a half hour plus wait and we wanted to hit some other stuff we hadn't hit the night before. Then we were off to Iowa.

Shockwave so far has been the most intense Arrow i'd ever ridden.

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/9/13 9:15:09 AM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

And here:

Jen

What zoo or animal sanctuary is that at?

Re: great american scream machine vs shockwave by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/9/13 9:27:51 AM
Overbanked said:

GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

And here:

Jen

What zoo or animal sanctuary is that at?

That's in the Gadv safari from last year before it was closed to cars.

The other pic is the only remaining pieces of GASM left in the park taken by the back/side of Rolling Thunder.

Jen