Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Flying Turns Review, With Some Photos

Flying Turns Review, With Some Photos

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
10/5/13 at
1:05:58 AM

I was able to attend a private event tonight at Knoebels, thanks to an invite from IRM Rides. It was, of course, to introduce Flying Turns to a group of 200-300 people.

I took a few photos with my phone, as I decided to leave my camera in the car. While en route to the park, I found out that there would be several enthusiast groups at the event - which of course means photos galore.

So, I decided that I didn't want to bother with photos, and just have fun - which I did. If I really wanted to take some pictures, I could use my phone - which I also did.

We arrived about an hour into the event and got right in line, bypassing the complimentary hot dogs and soda provided by the park.

The queue was almost full, with about 30 feet to spare. I later noticed that there are two switchbacks right outside the station that were not in use.

Knoebels is well known for their efficient operations. Flying Turns is no exception. In fact, they take it to a whole new level of efficient. Our first wait took 20 minutes until I reached the station, 5 minutes more until I was seated.

Because of the 400 pound passenger wait limit per car, most of the trains were being sent with only 3-4 people in them. If you have a riding partner, which I didn't tonight, I hope you are comfortable getting cozy with them. Two people would make a tight fit.

Having said that, there are actually two grouping attendants, one each at two different spots in the station. Suffice it to say that when the train pulls into the station, the next riders are easily ready to load. The park, even on the first night of operations, had three trains on the track.

The trains are very comfortable - the most comfortable I've felt in a coaster train. Think Flitzer, but roomier. There is no restraint - just a retractable seat belt - not necessary for the ride experience, but we understand why it's there.

The ride dispatches, and I'll leave you there, to experience the ride on your own. Perhaps I'll write a full review once more people have ridden it.

But I will say this about Flying Turns...

It's great.
It's fun.
It's smooth as silk.
It's unique.
It's fun.
It's twisted and turny.
It's gorgeous.
It's full of charm.
It's FUN.

I've never experienced a new ride with so much charm like this ride has. It's quite an experience - not to be missed.

In all honesty, Flying Turns is everything I thought it would be - and that's not a bad thing by any means.

Thanks to Knoebels for hosting us tonight, and congratulations on opening what I think will be a unique attraction, as long as it's operating. The park must be feeling a mix of relief and anxiety as the ride opens to the public on Saturday.

Here are some photos I took, again, from my phone. I apologize for the poor quality.

Welcome to Flying Turns Preview Night!

The entrance is no longer blocked!

Flying Turns' hangar-style station, viewed from the exit ramp

My view on my first ride, as we rolled back to the station. During the ride, there really is no obstructed view. It really doesn't matter where you sit.

The pink train climbs the first of three lifts

Thank YOU for letting me fly!

My souvenir for the evening. The back of the shirt says "It's Flying!"

The park also opened Phoenix for us. There's no better way to experience Phoenix than at night with an empty queue!

* This post was modified at 10/7/13 2:36:02 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Flying Turns Thoughts, With Some Photos by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/5/13 1:24:51 AM
That's awesome! SO glad they finally got it up and running to the public. I am going to try very hard to make it out there this year but that may be tough. It looks like such a fun ride. Glad you had a great time!

Also good to know if the line is long not be discouraged!

Jen

Re: Flying Turns Thoughts, With Some Photos by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/5/13 5:34:03 AM
Good stuff Drach. I'm glad that you gave it the thumbs up. Finally that damn thing is open!!! LOL
Re: Flying Turns Thoughts, With Some Photos by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/5/13 7:53:23 AM
Great report. I'm so glad they finally got Flying Turns operating. I would love to get back to Knoebles this year and ride it, but I really don't think its possible. Hopefully it will remain open. This way I can ride it next year. I know some of you are going to PPP tonight. I can't wait to read some more reviews.
Re: Flying Turns Thoughts, With Some Photos by drachen drachen Profile at 10/5/13 12:29:21 PM
Some train photos from IRM Rides...

Station Braking System

The trains are very roomy

Chasis connection

Brake Run and Station

* This post was modified at 10/5/13 2:55:27 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Re: Flying Turns Thoughts, With Some Photos by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/5/13 10:54:28 PM
^^^What do you think about the right turn chute between the top of the first lift hill, to the beginning of the second lift hill? Did it offer anything?
Re: Flying Turns Thoughts, With Some Photos by drachen drachen Profile at 10/5/13 11:21:04 PM
Overbanked said:

^^^What do you think about the right turn chute between the top of the first lift hill, to the beginning of the second lift hill? Did it offer anything?

There isn't much speed in there, and it's not very long. But it's a nice introduction to what you're about to experience - to wet your whistle, so to speak.

That's where it really hits you how smooth and comfortable this ride is going to be.

It also functions as a block. Between the station, lift #1, the pre-ride and second lift, the main ride, the transfer section, the third lift, and the two brakes before the station, there are at least 7 blocks. If the park wants to add more trains, they certainly could.

drachen
Re: Flying Turns Thoughts, With Some Photos by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/6/13 12:02:22 AM
^^^Thanks for the info Drachen.
Re: Flying Turns Thoughts, With Some Photos by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 10/6/13 10:06:50 AM
Im told that at the longest line yesterday the wait was a hour and a half. Honestly, Thats not bad. Thats a normal Summer Saturday for Beast at KI I remember waiting 4 hours for several new rides. FOF, Raptor, MF etc

Chuck, who thinks at normal operations FT would be under a half hour. PPP is slammed.

drachen said:

Overbanked said:

There isn't much speed in there, and it's not very long. But it's a nice introduction to what you're about to experience - to wet your whistle, so to speak.

That's where it really hits you how smooth and comfortable this ride is going to be.

It also functions as a block. Between the station, lift #1, the pre-ride and second lift, the main ride, the transfer section, the third lift, and the two brakes before the station, there are at least 7 blocks. If the park wants to add more trains, they certainly could.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Flying Turns Thoughts, With Some Photos by drachen drachen Profile at 10/7/13 2:43:55 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Im told that at the longest line yesterday the wait was a hour and a half. Honestly, Thats not bad. Thats a normal Summer Saturday for Beast at KI I remember waiting 4 hours for several new rides. FOF, Raptor, MF etc

Chuck, who thinks at normal operations FT would be under a half hour. PPP is slammed.

I'm going back on Friday, the 18th - weather permitting. I will be sure to let everyone know what to expect by way of wait times on a Friday night.

I would imagine that on a "typical" day, the wait would be no more than 20 minutes. They move the line pretty good.

drachen
Re: Flying Turns Review, With Some Photos by drachen drachen Profile at 10/9/13 8:36:05 PM
I thought this video was fantastic. I missed the opening ceremony, but Dick Knoebel's speech was informative, gracious, and moving.

Will Morey summed it all up very well too, on what this ride means to the industry. Enjoy!

drachen
Re: Flying Turns Review, With Some Photos by Coaster316 at 10/10/13 10:04:50 AM
Thank you, drachen, for your great contributions here.

Can you (or anyone) go over in more detail how the scale and weighing process works? I don't have sound at my office, but it looks like the scales are after you choose which row you want to ride? Is that correct?

Thanks.

Jeff

Re: Flying Turns Review, With Some Photos by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/10/13 1:21:35 PM
Coaster316 said:

Thank you, drachen, for your great contributions here.

Can you (or anyone) go over in more detail how the scale and weighing process works? I don't have sound at my office, but it looks like the scales are after you choose which row you want to ride? Is that correct?

Thanks.

Jeff

There is an attendant at the station entrance. He/she makes a best guess as to the heaviest single person or combination of two people that will ride in each car...and sends them to the first car's scale. And so on for the other two. The scale is a metal plate on the floor.
A screen simply says "ready to ride" (don't quote me!) when the weight is under 400 Lbs.
After all that, if any scale says otherwise, they simply redistribute the people. Which could mean waiting for next train.
They want the heaviest weight distributed on the train from front to back.
I don't know exactly how accurate that is for each dispatch as there is no indication as to the actual weight of the rider(s) on the scales.
At least not on the loading side (maybe at the console, hidden from general view...?).

Mike B.
Re: Flying Turns Review, With Some Photos by Coaster316 at 10/10/13 1:52:19 PM
Thanks, Mike. Very informative. I hope I get to see it for myself in a few weeks.

If the first attendant doesn't guess your weight close enough and you have to reshuffle, do you win a prize? (tee hee)

And sorry I didn't make it to PPP to meet up with you. I chose a church function with family instead.

Re: Flying Turns Review, With Some Photos by drachen drachen Profile at 10/10/13 2:09:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. I hope you can make it to Knoebels yet this season.

Mike is spot on with the loading process. But I will say that if the riders weigh accordingly:

Car 1: 240
Car 2: 235
Car 3: 250

I don't think they make a switch - but I could be wrong.

You don't really get to choose where you sit. If you ride with a partner and you're pushing 400 pounds, there's a good bet that you'll be in the front seat.

My two rides were in the middle row. I hear the back is the place to sit.

drachen
Re: Flying Turns Review, With Some Photos by drachen drachen Profile at 10/21/13 11:39:45 AM
I did make it to the park this past Friday evening. Flying Turns queue was overflowing into the midway when we got there at 6:30.

By 9pm, the line was still back to the entrance - which was exactly a 30 minute wait. Don't be afraid to wait for this coaster. The line really moves pretty well.

If the two switchbacks near the station are not in use (which you can easily see from the Flyers), a full queue wait is 30 minutes. If the switchbacks are in use, add 10-15 minutes, I would imagine.

drachen