Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World

Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/3/13 at
1:11:44 PM

http://www.indystar.com/article/20131003/BUSINESS/310030044/Appeals-Court-sides-widow-rather-than-brother-law-Holiday-World-dispute?nclick_check=1

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/3/13 1:38:22 PM
Personally, I haven't been back to the park since just before Will died... and in view of what I've seen and heard, probably never will again.
Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/3/13 7:04:19 PM
I don't see why you have an issue with what happened?? I think it is a great thing that Will's kids will be running the park in the future to come. This is what he wanted.
Dion
Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/4/13 12:18:35 PM
chitlins73 said:

I don't see why you have an issue with what happened?? I think it is a great thing that Will's kids will be running the park in the future to come. This is what he wanted.

But what happens in the meantime? Will's children certainly have no experience at park operations, and heretofore his widow wanted nothing to do with the park. Inevitably without Pat I see it as a rudderless ship.

Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by drachen drachen Profile at 10/4/13 12:41:09 PM
chitlins73 said:

No one ever said that's what Will wanted. Will was majority owner - not the sole owner. The kids didn't stand to inherit anything - his shares went to his wife Lori. The kids would have had to purchase the shares from their mother, or enter into some other type of agreement.

But Dan certainly had a voice. He owned the other shares, and certainly stepped up once Will died.

Lori was bought out after Will's death per the agreement Will entered into with his siblings. She just didn't like the price that was given to her for her shares.

For some reason, instead of being given a better or "more correct" price, some judge decided to give her the park.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, compounded even more by the result of this appeal.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 10/4/13 12:53:57 PM
If there was a breach of contract it's not for the judge to decide the "correct" price per say. The plaintiff could've asked for that outcome or they can ask to have the contract voided.

As far as I'm concerned those shares are still for sale at the right price.

Being in a similar situation with a family business I suspect that Will did intend for those shares to be sold to his brother, but of course at the right price. That would leave the business with the family, but his wife would receive the appropriate compensation for his share of the business. It also wouldn't necessarily exclude his children from working and or participating as owners in the future.

Why all of this wasn't clear is something I don't understand. It's a terrible error and both parties are at fault.

Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by Patripman Patripman Profile at 10/4/13 2:45:26 PM
"Why all of this wasn't clear is something I don't understand. It's a terrible error and both parties are at fault.

One word Greed

patripman

Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by Katie Katie Profile at 10/4/13 3:19:04 PM
One word Greed.

Took the words right out of my mind. This just makes me sad enough to not visit again. That family belongs on the midways. If they aren't there, I can wait to ride my favorite coaster until they do.

Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/4/13 4:42:55 PM
From what I was reading, the kids are going to be a big part of Holiday World in the future. I think all will be fine with Holiday World. They are all interested in keeping this park up to the standards it has always been at. Is there any reason to think Lori does not have the best intentions for the future of this park??
Dion
Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by Katie Katie Profile at 10/4/13 5:03:43 PM
Pat no longer is on the midways or greets patrons at the park. She now works behind the scenes. I can see the kids getting the park down the line, but none of them are ready now.

This really just makes me incredibly sad and angry.

Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/4/13 5:13:26 PM
Katie said:

One word Greed.

Took the words right out of my mind. This just makes me sad enough to not visit again. That family belongs on the midways. If they aren't there, I can wait to ride my favorite coaster until they do.

Exactly what I meant in my reply yesterday.

chitlins73 said:
From what I was reading, the kids are going to be a big part of Holiday World in the future. I think all will be fine with Holiday World. They are all interested in keeping this park up to the standards it has always been at. Is there any reason to think Lori does not have the best intentions for the future of this park??

Good intentions are one thing... what works is quite another. Will was the driving force of that park. In his absence, another executive stepped in to manage the park. Lori is no executive. I suspect she is doing what her lawyers recommended.

In the 1990's I worked closely with an individual who had worked for Will Sr and knew the family. When I mentioned "his wife" I was speaking of Pat (a saint in every regard) and he was thinking I meant Lori when he said she wanted nothing to do with the park. She saw it as "the other woman" who kept her husband away from his family. And now she is going to be the chief executive of the enterprise.

How Will's children fit into this I'm not sure. If Lori owns the park then yes, the children will inherit it eventually, but that is a long way off. Will (Jr) was grooming Will III to step in eventually, when he (Jr) reached the age where he could no longer endure the rigors of daily operation. At this stage - esp given Pat's advanced age, I suspect that Dan is the only one TODAY who has the wherewithal to maintain the place up to what Will would have wanted. I even suspect that he may not really be interested in the park, but only the business. And he might have even sold it if he owned it.

Whatever comes of this, the place just isn't the same to me. That's why I say I probably won't be going back. Lots of great memories there. I fear it may not live up to what I remember it having been.

Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/4/13 6:26:09 PM
Well I guess only time will tell if anything changes for the worse, but so far all is well. This is my favorite park I have ever been to, so hopefully nothing changes operation wise. The guy in charge now seems to know what he is doing.
Dion
Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 10/4/13 6:33:19 PM
This IMHO isn't a surprise and I will just say this.

It was always great knowing the owners, Expecially when there wasn't much to do at the park. It was one of the things that made me want to revisit and seeing them on the midways was a bonus.

HOWEVER, Me visiting will not be based on such things as with every other park, I DON'T PERSONALLY KNOW THE OWNER OF.

MY VISIT EXPERIENCE WILL DETERMINE IF I RETURN OR NOT.

IF HW is running fine, Rides running fine and service is fine.

I'll be back.

Im sure it was Bills wish to keep the park in the family always and Dan still has 40 percent. Lori and Dans kids will get control and NOTHING HAS CHANGED Except whats goin on inside the family. I hope they can patch things up and walk the midways again.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/4/13 10:32:59 PM
Thanks Chuck for putting this in perspective. I'm sure the park is the same and everything is okay. It just isn't the same to me. Much of it is that I'm much older now and my kids are grown. But I am concerned that without Will's enthusiasm the park may lack innovation.
Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 10/5/13 8:28:36 PM
RobLec said:

Thanks Chuck for putting this in perspective. I'm sure the park is the same and everything is okay. It just isn't the same to me. Much of it is that I'm much older now and my kids are grown. But I am concerned that without Will's enthusiasm the park may lack innovation.

IDK Rob, I know Will III was the intended future, He was always fun to be around as a kid. Now he's twenty something in college.

Even Since Will's passing they've seemed to keep with the What they need to improve over what others want them to do.

We will see. I haven't been in two years myself. Itching to get back.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 10/7/13 8:57:48 AM
CoasterFanatic said:

We will see. I haven't been in two years myself. Itching to get back.

Only 2 years? My last visit was all the way back at the next to last SRM. Living down in Florida it was a bit difficult to get there again.

We're working on making plans this next year to get out there and visit again- and take my family for the first time, as well as the reopened Kentucky Kingdom. Hopefully it will work out. We'll have to be in Louisville for an archery tournament for my son and I'm driving past it again without visiting. :p

I really am hoping that with this settled they can start acting like family again and stop the fighting. From everything I've heard the gentleman that Lori has in place running the park is doing a good job. But it would be nice to see the kids and family back out there loving on the park. To many parks have seemed to lose so much when the family behind them passed on and the next generation didn't have the passion for the park that the previous generation did. I'm hoping that doesn't happen here.

Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/7/13 9:03:41 AM
SirWillow said:
We're working on making plans this next year to get out there and visit again- and take my family for the first time, as well as the reopened Kentucky Kingdom. Hopefully it will work out. We'll have to be in Louisville for an archery tournament for my son...

Maybe you can also drive up to Cinci for a visit to KI and ride Banshee.

Re: Lori Koch Keeps Control Of Holiday World by Coaster316 at 10/7/13 9:43:36 AM
I can completely understand the idea of not going to a park based on behind the scenes developments such as this. In fact, I admire that passion (for lack of a better term) about any hobby.

Personally, I never had enough interaction with the Koch family to develop that passion and in this case it won't make a difference at all in my decision unless the park takes a terrible turn.

That all being said, I do worry about Mrs. Koch and hope that she is ok. I respect her privacy but parts of me wishes she'd make a statement of some kind so that we knew she was ok.