Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Forgotten how to make an Epic coaster?

Forgotten how to make an Epic coaster?

houstondavid

Posted:
9/30/13 at
6:33:07 PM

I'm wondering why the top five steel coasters on the Golden Ticket awards were all built around 2000 (13 years old)? And it isn't that it is a close race - the top two each got nearly twice as many points as the third place finisher.

I've ridden Bizzaro (being a resident of Massachusetts) and it is certainly a nice ride. The great air-time hills, the tunnels, and the great ending with the mix of hills and turns. Haven't ridden Millennium Force yet (a shortcoming I hope to fix in the next couple years), but it also seems to have a nice combination of speed, hills, and turns. I have recently been on Behemoth and Leviathan, and while they are both excellent coasters with far superior trains, they do lack the fine and lasting finish of Bizzaro.

I suspect there is some lag in the voting system due to it being several years for enough of the voters to have ridden a new coaster for it to rank high in the standings. But it doesn't seem that that would explain the top five and 13 years.

Any opinions/theories as to why the coasters built in the last decade, while obviously benefitting from many technical improvements, have been unable to find their way into the top spots?

David

Re: Forgotten how to make an Epic coaster? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/30/13 9:28:49 PM
I have been casting a ballot for the last 3 years, for the Golden Ticket Awards. My top 2 steel coasters ate Intimadator 305, which was built in 2010, and Skyrush, which was built in 2012. My top 2 wooden coasters ate El Toro, 2006, and Outlaw Run, 2013. We all have different opinions about the rollercoasters we ride. I love extreme coasters. The more extreme, the higher I rank it. Unfortunately most voters do not like these extreme coasters that are currently being built. Most voters are ACE members and seem to vote for the coasters that are very reridable. I have noticed that wherever the national conference is those parks and coasters rank higher that year. I think a lot of people use that national conference as their annual coaster trip. I also believe people lie about their coaster count. That has ballots going out to people who haven't ridden as many coasters as they claim. There is a flaw in the system, but we still have fun doing the voting. The Golden Ticket Awards should not be considered a benchmark, but something fun and interesting. I'm sure your top 10 is much different than mine. That's why I encourage everyone on URC to get involved.
Re: Forgotten how to make an Epic coaster? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/30/13 9:41:02 PM
Mitch Hawker poll is way more accurate than the silly golden Ticket...lol
Dion
Re: Forgotten how to make an Epic coaster? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/1/13 2:15:44 PM
frontrow said:

I have been casting a ballot for the last 3 years, for the Golden Ticket Awards. My top 2 steel coasters ate Intimadator 305, which was built in 2010, and Skyrush, which was built in 2012. My top 2 wooden coasters ate El Toro, 2006, and Outlaw Run, 2013. We all have different opinions about the rollercoasters we ride. I love extreme coasters. The more extreme, the higher I rank it. Unfortunately most voters do not like these extreme coasters that are currently being built. Most voters are ACE members and seem to vote for the coasters that are very reridable. I have noticed that wherever the national conference is those parks and coasters rank higher that year. I think a lot of people use that national conference as their annual coaster trip. I also believe people lie about their coaster count. That has ballots going out to people who haven't ridden as many coasters as they claim. There is a flaw in the system, but we still have fun doing the voting. The Golden Ticket Awards should not be considered a benchmark, but something fun and interesting. I'm sure your top 10 is much different than mine. That's why I encourage everyone on URC to get involved.

I tried to get into the Golden Ticket voting but I never heard back after they e-mailed me and asked about my coaster count and how many parks I go to, etc. I stated that I don't ride kiddie coasters for credits and I don't count clones or coasters with identical tracks as separate and my coaster count was around 200 (probably a bit higher). That was the year I went to Busch Gardens Europe, Kings Dominion, Six Flags America, Knotts, Sea World San Diego, Belmont, Hershey, Piers down the shore and naturally, Great Adventure. Apparently that wasn't good enough for them. They can kiss my a$$. :-)

Jen